Closest Stations?

R188 7857

I was wondering what the closest stations are, and if it is possible for 1 whole 10 car train to be in two stations at the same time? Like the front of the train is in the next station when the rear is still in the station before? 

To my knowledge the situation you are talking about is almost impossible, but here are a few station that are very close to each other:

Rector and Cortland on the (R)

23rd, 18th, 14th on the (1)/(2)

1st ave and 3rd ave on the (L). Actually, really anything on the L in Manhattan

167th and 170th on the (4) and the (B)/(D).

i think it chambers street and park place (2)(3). i seen train stop while most of them are in tunnel and handful of cars in station.

Too bad that we cant(us human) run thru the cars from one end to the other end in lightning speed to do this. I think twotimers or any real train operator or conductor out there can tell us. or you can google it on web to see how far apart each station is. 

Chambers St & Park Place just barely beats out Bowling Green & Wall St going N/B. Yes, a 10 car train can be partially in both stations at the same time!

167 and 170 (both (4) and (D) ) aren't all that close to each other.....case in point - tk C5 which is between those two stations can hold two 600 ft trains, with extra room at both ends. The concourse stations are all pretty well spaced apart. 174 and Tremont are the two closest on that line.

the distance between courtelyou and beverley on the brighton lines n\b section is 490 feet, the shortest in the system

joe

Oh wow, those are very close indeed. What's funnier still to me is the fact that the MTA's neighborhood map falsely shows the majority of the platform as being along the curve, so that the stations don't look too close together. 

q5tjC7B.png5lGamNA.png

(The other picture is from iTrans, which draws from the GIS data layer, and seems accurate based on checking photos)

So to answer the original question, according to wikipedia: (emphasis mine) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverley_Road_(BMT_Brighton_Line)

"The northbound platform of Cortelyou Road, the next station south, is less than 600 feet away from Beverley Road's platform. This is the shortest distance between full-time stations in the entire system. It is possible for a full length train to successfully use both platforms for an emergency exit. The first car would be at one station, while the last car would be at the other station, although only the first and last pair of doors of the entire train would open."

• 1 month later...

Archived