History Behind "Daniel Smith Photography Productions"

Since most of you guys know as a railfan I thought I share a history on how I got into photography and railfanning. So sit back and stand clear of the closing. And YES Put this thread in section on purpose because it will include both subway and general photography.

It all started in 2002 (7 Years Old) when my interest of the NYC Subway was still growing, I started to visit those NYC Subway fan page websites such as ttmg.org and nycsubway.org which contained a lot of subway photos as well as looking at the old SubwaySpot.com and nycrail.com (Which has vintage 1990s photos). It got me into doing Joy Train riding which was fun and exciting for me and every year, I would try to explore and learn new stuff. But I felt like something was missing when I did those trains but WHAT? I needed to record these adventures with pictures and to do pictures I needed a CAMERA. When the new R160s (New Technology Subway Cars) were being delivered, It gave me the opportunity to photography trains including the old subway cars that were going bye bye for good. And from that point on that change the shape of me. It wasn’t until late 2008 I got my real non cheap digital camrera “Insignia” and then in early in 2009, the Nikon L18. When I got the Nikon L18 that changed a whole lot out of me. I grew a larger appreciation of photographing trains (Especially 2009-2010) and I learned more about improving photos and stuff. Around mid 2010, after I’ve gotten my first DSLR, I started doing photographs of nature and parks and sometimes beaches and people. The nature walks (Which I still do today) is good and relaxing for photos including Central Park. Today in the Present, I’m still learning ALOT more photography (There’s no such thing as never learning), And I’m trying to get into photography when I finish High School. Photography is something I will NEVER Leave. 

413097_381985621837891_509309781_o.jpg?w

For the full story

http://danphotographycool.com/2013/05/22/the-history-behind-daniel-smith-photography-productions/

You need to find youself a job. Stop hanging in the subways everyday.

I agree with this statement, though I still think he's in high school or at least graduating?  I guess that's good for him at this time..but when you get into college and major in photography or something close to it, I suggest getting a job as well. 

I agree with this statement, though I still think he's in high school or at least graduating?  I guess that's good for him at this time..but when you get into college and major in photography or something close to it, I suggest getting a job as well. 

I see him on the platforms everyday with the camera around his neck. I didn't even know he was still in school @ 18 years old. I keep telling him do the damn photography on the side, go get a job to support yourself to pay for camera shit. 18 years old I was fixing cars and truck driving. He's going to be 30 years old and wondering where all the time went & nothing to show for it.

I see him on the platforms everyday with the camera around his neck. I didn't even know he was still in school @ 18 years old. I keep telling him do the damn photography on the side, go get a job to support yourself to pay for camera shit. 18 years old I was fixing cars and truck driving. He's going to be 30 years old and wondering where all the time went & nothing to show for it.

Hey his prerogative that's how i see it..

At least hes quiet and goes about his business unlike some of the yahoos in the community who make total tools of themselves(changing roll signs trespassing on TA property).

Hey his prerogative that's how i see it..

At least hes quiet and goes about his business unlike some of the yahoos in the community who make total tools of themselves(changing roll signs trespassing on TA property).

It is his choice but sometimes yes, but taking pics on the subway is not going to put food on your table &  a roof over your head at 18. That's the way I see it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Cold hard truth hurts.  We're not saying photography is bad or has no future, but the consistency he has posting photos every now and then and such can indicate no job or form of responsibility.

I can see where Dan05979 is coming from.  And to theaveragejoe, yeah, at the end of the day, to each their own but at the end of the day if that photography hobby doesn't eventually put food on the table; how are you going to survive?

Now I know most kids at 18 now don't have a job, and rely on parents or even financial aid money, so I can't really blame him for all the time he has.  But once college rolls in and you hit that 20+ years of age, reality hits and you really should see how you'll manage in the real world.

It is his choice but sometimes yes, but taking pics on the subway is not going to put food on your table &  a roof over your head at 18. That's the way I see it. Maybe I'm wrong.

You do realize that most middle class jobs out there:

Cop

EMS worker

Firefighter

Train op/conductor

Bus op

Etc, etc

Don't require a lot of skill, or time to learn. Or intelligence for that matter. If he ever wanted a decent job they are not exactly hard to come by in state that has a healthy economy. Being an ass to someone over something as asinine as a job seems naive, no?

Cop

EMS worker

Firefighter

Train op/conductor

Bus op

Etc, etc

Don't require a lot of skill, or time to learn. Or intelligence for that matter. If he ever wanted a decent job they are not exactly hard to come by in state that has a healthy economy. Being an ass to someone over something as asinine as a job seems naive, no?

Too bad those jobs you stated take a while before you even get hired.  Because of that wasn't the case I would of been working for the city 3 years ago.

Cop

EMS worker

Firefighter

Train op/conductor

Bus op

Etc, etc

That's a lie.

They all require a lot of skill. And that skill comes through training. They wouldn't have academies and classes if it didn't require that.

Now I'm not the type to usually do this, but I feel it is due in this situation.

I don't know how many of you know Daniel on a personal level or even at a semi-personal level (I myself know him much less than that), but I don't think his hobby is a prerogative to go slander and defame him and his lifestyle.

I see that many have brought up his lack of a steady job or career. Contrary to what has been said, I've witnessed Daniel mention on many occasions on these forums that he not only plans to pursue a career in photography, but also attend a film school to attain further education on the subject. Furthermore it is to my understanding that he is experiencing some personal conflicts as of late, so to make such remarks just adds insult to injury.

To go and cast judgement on an individual due to their passion and ardor is extremely rude, and displays poor conduct on the part of the individual(s) casting the remark(s). Personally I expect better from the members of this online community.

That's all, and have a great day.

I see where you're coming from, but due to this being a public forum, everyone is entitled to whatever opinion they have.

If he wanted to avoid these kind of remarks, contributions, comments, then it should have been posted a personal level of blogging and such.  On top of that, not everyone would know if he had personal problems in his life anyway because well it's personal, thus you can't blame anyone to add insult to injury there. (I for one don't know his personal conflicts/problems at the current time.)

And honestly people should have expected these type of comments from his activity, honestly I expected the comments to go both ways and guess what it did. (I just happen to agree with some of them.)

Plain and simple, truth hurts, if you want personal security, post these kinds of things on blogs and not public forums.

Now furthermore, hate on me all you want.

I see where you're coming from, but due to this being a public forum, everyone is entitled to whatever opinion they have.

If he wanted to avoid these kind of remarks, contributions, comments, then it should have been posted a personal level of blogging and such. On top of that, not everyone would know if he had personal problems in his life anyway because well it's personal, thus you can't blame anyone to add insult to injury there. (I for one don't know his personal conflicts/problems at the current time.)

And honestly people should have expected these type of comments from his activity, honestly I expected the comments to go both ways and guess what it did. (I just happen to agree with some of them.)

Plain and simple, truth hurts, if you want personal security, post these kinds of things on blogs and not public forums.

Now furthermore, hate on me all you want.

. Why would I hate on you? You do raise good points, but really what I was trying to accomplish was to get some of these tools to back off a little. Granted some of these people are valid with their advice, but others are just antagonising for the f**k of it, which just creates hostility.

But take it as you'd like.

I saw Daniel on the West End once at like 7am with his camera around his neck.  I decided to go say hi to him.  I mentioned I was from this forum, and he blew me off.  That's how I remember him!

I never rode the West End Line that early. Hell thats WAY out of my commuting way. Why would I ride the West End Line @ 7?

. Why would I hate on you? You do raise good points, but really what I was trying to accomplish was to get some of these tools to back off a little. Granted some of these people are valid with their advice, but others are just antagonising for the f**k of it, which just creates hostility.

But take it as you'd like.

Apologies, the hate me comment was not towards you, it was towards people that may not see where I'm coming from with my comments.

Archived