B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another long day. Got the medical done and I'm currently awaiting to do the second drug test. I will have to go in another day for final processing.

They are still trying to fill the 8/22 class. This will be the last class in August.

If you think today was a long day, wait till you start the actual training and get back to me. [emoji31]

Since they are still trying to fill the class, if i was on standby and feel ready for the training i would give the office a call and try to get in there. Training during the winter months sucks.

First, don't call me "sir", since we have both ladies and gentlemen on this site. Call me "Young" and we'll be good.

Second, no problem as far as the advice. For a couple of moments immediately after, I was mad, did some cursing, etc., but life moves on, whether you like it or not.

I also felt immediately afterwards that my instructor out of the Flatbush Depot (in February 2014, who is retired now) was a jerk, however I wrote a letter to Transit elaborating on several things I didn't like, including the fact that he didn't wear his seat belt, the fact that he made me drive over one of the bridges when I had a permit, the fact that he made a right turn on a red signal in the Rockaways, the fact that, from my perspective, he discriminated between those who had prior experience compared to me and my other classmate who worked for Access-A-Ride, the fact that he complained when we were chained (and no one in the Depot would listen to him), etc. However, I wrote a nice nasty letter to 2 Broadway & Zerega Avenue, and that took care of my instructor's bad habits, even without the legitimate proof.

Looking back, especially with these handouts that I was able to steal from him for these buses (to pass along to you folks, compared to being selfish), in addition to having some experience behind the wheel of a bus, I now understand where he was coming from.

However, in life, if we treat each other the way we want to be treated, since things can sneak up on us, I think we would be better off.

You're absolutely right and I truly appreciate all the advice that you give. I look forward to updating you guys on whether I was able to pass training on day 7 which is what I am shooting for.

You're absolutely right and I truly appreciate all the advice that you give.

No problem...

Young, when you say your instructor discriminated against you for your experience, do you mean he discriminated against you cause you had experience or because you had no experience?

He discriminated because two of my classmates had experience driving either a big school bus or a coach bus, both of whom passed on Day 7.

The other two classmates (myself and one other) didn't have experience, therefore we both went to Day 10. I failed, and I think my one other classmate (who at the time worked for Access-A-Ride) failed too.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

If you think today was a long day, wait till you start the actual training and get back to me. [emoji31]

Lol, try working the night shift, getting off at 0040, home at 0300, not sleeping, reporting for medical at 0730, getting done at 1600 and going right thru to do it again. (1640-0040)

Since they are still trying to fill the class, if i was on standby and feel ready for the training i would give the office a call and try to get in there. Training during the winter months sucks.

Man, tell me about it. When I did training for Academy, it was during the burnt of winter. My road test was during a blizzard. Loll.

are you getting comfortable with the bus yet?

I'm getting a little more comfortable but the instructor is such a jerk and doesn't know how to talk to us. There's one guy on my bus who already has his CDL and thinks he's a know it all. The instructor keeps ripping him to shreds on purpose lol. He used to drive for Jersey Transit but this is not Jersey, this is MTA. He doesn't get that and I think they probably won't pass him because he's a know it all and argumentative. As far as me.....I'm doing better with my turns, securing the bus and protecting the back. I'm driving in the city so it's not as easy because it's a lot more congested than the other boroughs. I have to remember to call out my hazards, pre trip and Aslaps. They literally want you to call out everything. If you see an ant crossing in the middle of the street, you better call that out or else you're getting yelled at smh.

I'm getting a little more comfortable but the instructor is such a jerk and doesn't know how to talk to us. There's one guy on my bus who already has his CDL and thinks he's a know it all. The instructor keeps ripping him to shreds on purpose lol. He used to drive for Jersey Transit but this is not Jersey, this is MTA. He doesn't get that and I think they probably won't pass him because he's a know it all and argumentative. As far as me.....I'm doing better with my turns, securing the bus and protecting the back. I'm driving in the city so it's not as easy because it's a lot more congested than the other boroughs. I have to remember to call out my hazards, pre trip and Aslaps. They literally want you to call out everything. If you see an ant crossing in the middle of the street, you better call that out or else you're getting yelled at smh.

This guy needs to chill. I worked for NJ Transit, too, and I still learned a lot, even after my few years of experience operating a bus. With (MTA), you have to do things a little different. I see quite a few operators making turns rather quickly. I turn slow. I don't care who is behind me. I want to make sure not a thing is around my bus when I execute my turns. I hope he realized that, even with his experience, he has much to learn, also. The mirror set up at NJ Transit is not the same as at (MTA).

This guy needs to chill. I worked for NJ Transit, too, and I still learned a lot, even after my few years of experience operating a bus. With (MTA), you have to do things a little different. I see quite a few operators making turns rather quickly. I turn slow. I don't care who is behind me. I want to make sure not a thing is around my bus when I execute my turns. I hope he realized that, even with his experience, he has much to learn, also. The mirror set up at NJ Transit is not the same as at (MTA).

Yea I don't think he gets it. Same thing today. He's a show off. He even combated with the instructor about mirro positioning today. I honestly feel like the instructor is being a little nicer to the others now because this guy is a know it all. He's getting all the flack now. So I had a good day. Few mistakes here and there but overall he said I corrected my mistakes. Left the right lane open, turned into the wrong lane and another car was able to pass me on the right side etc. I'll get the hang of it quickly. I have to get the pre trip down to a science. I'm all over the place with that and the air brakes

How was day 3 mtaondeck

Well technically it's considered day 2 of training since orientation doesn't count but day 2 was good. Getting better day by day. Just have to remember my hazards, pre trip etc. Driving is the easiest part of it especially if you know how to drive, it's the other things that get complicated.

I'm getting a little more comfortable but the instructor is such a jerk and doesn't know how to talk to us...

As far as the instructor: Worse comes to worse, do what I did and simply write a nasty letter to 2 Broadway & to Zerega Avenue about him/her. This will be the time to express your feelings, anger, frustration, etc. If you do decide to do so, although you're not going to have any formal "proof" to show (unless you're sneaky), be as specific as you can. Then, when his/her bosses read the letter, and if you mention the words "jerk", "idiot", etc., then this should do the trick. Unfortunately, the damage to you, or the trainee, is already done.

Good news: From what I recall 75% of the people qualify on Day 9, and the route is in Uptown Manhattan (similar to Day 6) with a different instructor.

Young, with the mayors vision zero law, do you think that a higher percentage of people fail the training now?

Well, when the law first came out, they were arresting Bus Operators, and now they've modified it so that doesn't happen again.

Since I went through the MTA training in 2014, things have changed, therefore I would ask someone who recently went through training, and ask them for their opinion.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan