B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

The exam is cake its common sense but it is a lot of reading. I take mine on Sunday at 1:31 pm at Brooklyn Tech H.S. Just to let everyone know that this is not the first time taking it. I took the TA B/O exam back in 2008 and passed it so basically I'm doing everything all over again. I took the BOSS exam last month at the same location for Mabsota if anyone took there's last month. Wish everyone the best of luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Evening!

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with today's exam! :) I had to take a five hour "nap" after the whole ordeal.

My experience:

- I took my time using the whole two hours to double check my work; I wish I could have marked up the test booklet just for that added assurance.

- There were two answers that I was unsure about, a tip I used was to use all uppercase on the take-home answer sheet for the questions I was positive on and lower case on the one's I wasn't 100% on.

Thoughts:

- As discussed, we can anticipate a lot of high scores, which is good, but we can anticipate that getting hired will take a bit longer than exam 2613 due to the larger pool of candidates.

- Let's keep in shape, get medical check-ups and keep our licenses clean. I have been practicing checking my mirrors a lot more often when driving and it will take some practice. 

Best of Luck to everyone!

How long do you think before they start pulling from the list of exam 4600. I heard for exam 2613 not many people passed. Also the test today 4600 said Bus operator exam 4600 transit authority. Does that mean for queens Bronx and manhattan? I know for Staten Island and Brooklyn for sure.

It will take at least a year mimimum, maybe even 1 & 1/2 years, depending how fast they go through the 2613 list. There are 3,621 people on the list and if it takes Human Resources to go through 200 people a month, then the list will be finished in 1 & 1/2 years.

NYC "Transit Authority" covers all 5 boros - Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island. MaBSTOA (Manhattan and The Bronx Surface Transit Operating Agency) is only for two boroughs, respectively. MTA buses covers all 5 boros where the private bus lines used to operate (Green Bus Lines, Queens Surface, Triboro Coach, etc.).

How long do you think before they start pulling from the list of exam 4600. I heard for exam 2613 not many people passed. Also the test today 4600 said Bus operator exam 4600 transit authority. Does that mean for queens Bronx and manhattan? I know for Staten Island and Brooklyn for sure.

It will take at least a year mimimum, maybe even 1 & 1/2 years, depending how fast they go through the 2613 list. There are 3,621 people on the list and if it takes Human Resources to go through 200 people a month, then the list will be finished in 1 & 1/2 years.

NYC "Transit Authority" covers all 5 boros - Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island. MaBSTOA (Manhattan and The Bronx Surface Transit Operating Agency) is only for two boroughs, respectively. MTA buses covers all 5 boros where the private bus lines used to operate (Green Bus Lines, Queens Surface, Triboro Coach, etc.).

Not really because I took the class, and they even said that they don't know exactly what's going to be on there, so its not really a waste fo money, its just being prepared for the worst.

I agree..I took the class twice. It wasnt a waste of time, I was actually prepared and expected anything. At least we got to know how to solve the bys headways and etc....

This is going to be a huge list, everyone is going to pass. How many years is the list good for?

Not sure how many years the list is good for. As for the list bieng huge and everyone passing, I agree. It's good for those who would have scored average to low on a more challenging test and it's bad for those who would have scored high even on a challlenging test. I personally wish it would have been more difficult so the list would be shorter and would cut down on the wait time. The only positive I see is that IF you score very high, you should still have a relatively short wait. I guess we will see.

The exam is cake its common sense but it is a lot of reading. I take mine on Sunday at 1:31 pm at Brooklyn Tech H.S. Just to let everyone know that this is not the first time taking it. I took the TA B/O exam back in 2008 and passed it so basically I'm doing everything all over again. I took the BOSS exam last month at the same location for Mabsota if anyone took there's last month. Wish everyone the best of luck!

So you passed in 2008 and what happened? that's like 6 years ago if you passed why didn't you get the job

The map from Brooklyn was a little difficult to read. it took more time to find the bus routes and the locations of the questions they were asking,Then the whole test.It was crazy

The map from Brooklyn was a little difficult to read. it took more time to find the bus routes and the locations of the questions they were asking,Then the whole test.It was crazy

The rest of the test was easy, my test started with the maps. The map was bad couldn't find locations. I spent too much time on the map part now it's the waiting game. It's going to be a long list. My feeling is a lot of people passed. I'm waiting for the train operator's test to come out.

Not sure how many years the list is good for. As for the list bieng huge and everyone passing, I agree. It's good for those who would have scored average to low on a more challenging test and it's bad for those who would have scored high even on a challlenging test. I personally wish it would have been more difficult so the list would be shorter and would cut down on the wait time. The only positive I see is that IF you score very high, you should still have a relatively short wait. I guess we will see.

Yeah I hear you man. A lot of us spent a lot of time preparing for this test and it ends up not being very competitive.  Anybody off the street could of literally passed this test.  I understand the MTA needs candidates after 2613 but at least throw in some cdl and points of interest questions so the people who prepared can get a better score.  

Yeah I hear you man. A lot of us spent a lot of time preparing for this test and it ends up not being very competitive. Anybody off the street could of literally passed this test. I understand the MTA needs candidates after 2613 but at least throw in some cdl and points of interest questions so the people who prepared can get a better score.

Ppl did so bad on the last exam with those kind of questions that they had to switch it up so more ppl got a better chance at passing the exam cuz they need drivers.