B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

A real off topic question but just an estimate when do you think they will get up to the #4000's on the list? I am sitting in my AAR vechile and saw a training bus pass by me and saying any day now.. Lol...congrats to everyone processed and traning!!

That's good news.....this is really a waiting game but its all worth it in the end..I just got my cdl so I'm ready to do as soon as they call me

First of all, it's not an off-topic question...the subject matter is the same, therefore it's okay. While you're waiting, have you ever considered gaining some experience in a full-sized bus compared to those AAR vehicles? If so, depending on where you live, my company is still hiring people for the Queens College shuttle, which includes driving in Flushing & Jamaica during the rush-hour...click here for more information.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my Drug Test on Monday. Before i left they told me that I should expect to hear from them between 3 and 90 days.  My list number was passed, (never received the letter for the drug test). Do i get put back in the order of my list number or am i going to have to wait behind people with a lower list number since i just completed the drug test? Does anyone know what time frame, i should realistically expect? Anyone in the current class have a list number in my range 14XX? Just want to get an idea so i know when i should reach out to them again if i dont hear anything. Any help will be appreciated. 

I've yet to pick. Tomorrow is my our pick day. I believe only manhattan is open for us. Not sure if that is true or not.

sent from my note4

I had my Drug Test on Monday. Before i left they told me that I should expect to hear from them between 3 and 90 days. My list number was passed, (never received the letter for the drug test). Do i get put back in the order of my list number or am i going to have to wait behind people with a lower list number since i just completed the drug test? Does anyone know what time frame, i should realistically expect? Anyone in the current class have a list number in my range 14XX? Just want to get an idea so i know when i should reach out to them again if i dont hear anything. Any help will be appreciated.

Yes some people in the last test before 4600 was in my class. List numbers range from 1500 to 1660 that I know of.

sent from my note4

I've yet to pick. Tomorrow is my our pick day. I believe only Manhattan is open for us. Not sure if that is true or not.

Please let us know what was available and if Staten Island and Queens was available (I am there already - SI).

Keep in mind we are in the system pick so wherever you go, you might be there for a short time and go/be forced somewhere else, I believe January 8.

I had my Drug Test on Monday. Before i left they told me that I should expect to hear from them between 3 and 90 days.  My list number was passed, (never received the letter for the drug test). Do i get put back in the order of my list number or am i going to have to wait behind people with a lower list number since i just completed the drug test? Does anyone know what time frame, i should realistically expect? Anyone in the current class have a list number in my range 14XX? Just want to get an idea so i know when i should reach out to them again if i dont hear anything. Any help will be appreciated.

You'll go through the hiring process regularly for medical and final processing but you'll have the highest seniority amongst your class, whenever you start.

Please let us know what was available and if Staten Island and Queens was available (I am there already - SI).

Keep in mind we are in the system pick so wherever you go, you might be there for a short time and go/be forced somewhere else, I believe January 8.

You just came in with the class that started line training last week? Where you training out of?

Were you sent to SI or did you pick it?  How is it compared to the rest of the boroughs you drove in when qualifying? 

I've yet to pick. Tomorrow is my our pick day. I believe only manhattan is open for us. Not sure if that is true or not.

sent from my note4

Yes some people in the last test before 4600 was in my class. List numbers range from 1500 to 1660 that I know of.

sent from my note4

Were you sent to SI or did you pick it?  How is it compared to the rest of the boroughs you drove in when qualifying? 

I believe the General system pick is over. My class was the last class to pick during Thanksgiving week. Manhattan had a lot of opening and maybe 5% of Brooklyn locations like Fresh Pond were still open.

I was contacted three days after my first drug test; took a second on Monday, expecting to hear back tomorrow, if I do I'll you know, then start asking questions.

FYI...still no email yet today.  

But my sample was taken late Monday, after 4:00, and I don't know when the last pickup of the day was.  

Hopefully tomorrow.

FYI, I know I am more or less next up to receive an email to come down for my medical. I called today and was told the December 12th class is full and the next class is due for December 26th. The class after that one has yet to be determined.

Separately, just want to share some info with anyone who will be starting. Something that I was not told for the first few months until another fellow employee told me (and I just told someone who didn't know for almost 2 years!):

When you do Overtime, you have an option to write in the time box OTO. I forget what it stands for, think it's Other Time something.

IF you have over 8 hours of vehicle time and do overtime and write in OTO, instead of getting paid, that time can get built up so you can take a day off in the future. I prefer to build up time to take off and in the beginning when I first started, since I was on the extra list, I did quite a bit of overtime. However, I never was told about OTO by the union etc. It's probably in our contract etc. but the reality is, who has the time to read it all. Anyway, just a little something I want to pass along. I'd hate to have others find out late, particularly those who prefer to build up time off as opposed to the pay. Oh, and yes, it's time and a half so if you finish an hour late, that would equate to an hour and a half time built up.

Edited by hockeyplayer9

FYI, I know I am more or less next up to receive an email to come down for my medical. I called today and was told the December 12th class is full and the next class is due for December 26th. The class after that one has yet to be determined.

Separately, just want to share some info with anyone who will be starting. Something that I was not told for the first few months until another fellow employee told me (and I just told someone who didn't know for almost 2 years!):

When you do Overtime, you have an option to write in the time box OTO. I forget what it stands for, think it's Other Time something.

IF you have over 8 hours of vehicle time and do overtime and write in OTO, instead of getting paid, that time can get built up so you can take a day off in the future. I prefer to build up time to take off and in the beginning when I first started, since I was on the extra list, I did quite a bit of overtime. However, I never was told about OTO by the union etc. It's probably in our contract etc. but the reality is, who has the time to read it all. Anyway, just a little something I want to pass along. I'd hate to have others find out late, particularly those who prefer to build up time off as opposed to the pay. Oh, and yes, it's time and a half so if you finish an hour late, that would equate to an hour and a half time built up.

thanks for the info, BTW what is your list number range thanks

Hey everyone just have a question I know the current contract expires in january if someone gets hired after the current contract expires if the mta hasnt signed a new contract will they be hired under the old contract or will they be hired and have to wait until mta signes a contract to know what they are entitled to if anyone can answer me ill appreciate it thanks..?