R142A / R188 Psychical differences.

RailRunRob

Noticed this Hump in the A cars of the R188 for CBTC. Guess with the 188 having IRT specs there was less space to maybe put the components undercarriage or elsewhere. Any other noticeable changes from the 142a? -R3  

img_139710.jpg

The 188s are destined for the 7. What logic would there be in putting FINDs in if they trains are going onto what is basicly a captive line..?

Because digital stuff is the future? (just going by factual statements, doesn't mean I think that way)

Also, you don't know what they're gonna do when they open up the extension. Maybe they'll terminate some trains at the current terminal in rush hour, (the diamond (7) perhaps?).

Noticed this Hump in the A cars of the R188 for CBTC. Guess with the 188 having IRT specs there was less space to maybe put the components undercarriage or elsewhere. Any other noticeable changes from the 142a? -R3

From what I know:

Aside from what is seen from the pic of the interior of the new R188 lead cars (which I witnessed for myself)which houses the computer apparatus for CBTC based control, the major difference is the car formation types from the 126 new cars, along with 380 converted R142A cars.

Reposting a recent video I made here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxrBPoZp4o&feature=player_embedded

R142A's were constructed by Kawasaki in 5 car sets: 2 A cars and 3 B cars (A-B-B-B-A). However the R188 fleet is constructed by the same heavy rail manufacturer in two formation configurations. In the 5 car configuration it would be: 2 A cars, 2 B cars and one C car (A-C-B-B-A). In the 6 car sets it would be 6 car sets: 2 A cars, 3 B cars and one C car (A-B-B-B-C-A). Combined with couplers this produces 11 car sets.

R62A cars currently are coupled in 5 car sets: (A-B-B-B-B-A) but also singles (1900 series cars) to create 11 car consists. This is why the R188 cars are in such a formation mentioned in the above paragraph for the (7) IRT Flushing Line which requires 11 car trains to meet the extremely heavy passenger demands of the line.

All the R62A's were originally constructed as singles for service on the IRT on both major trunk lines, the IRT 7th Ave and the Lexington Ave lines as well as the Times Square Shuttle to replace the R17's, R21's and the R22's . However that was modified at a later date after delivery was completed by Bombardiar in 1988.

Lastly there are major differences between the R142's and the R142A's in themselves which means the differences between the R142's and the R188's will be even more different.

I imagine there are other differences between the remaining unconverted R142A's (which will remain in service pretty much on the (4) with some on the (6) ), in it's current condition and the R188's that I must have missed.

And this:

Strip maps.

Which is what I've seen. I zoomed in on where the strip map display should be in the video @ the :45 mark.

Because digital stuff is the future? (just going by factual statements, doesn't mean I think that way)

Also, you don't know what they're gonna do when they open up the extension. Maybe they'll terminate some trains at the current terminal in rush hour, (the diamond (7) perhaps?).

It still doesn't matter. The FIND screens are an expensive addition and why add additional expense when the purpose of that expense is versatility line to line. The equipment will remain on one line.

The only reason they would terminate any trains at TSQ during rush hour after the extension is open is if there are some problems at the new station, signals, tracks, passengers, etc. Otherwise that's not something that will be scheduled because it would require a crew to be in place ready to take the train. Why do that when the new station is literally one station away?

Guest Lance

It only makes sense to put FINDs or the like on trains that will run on multiple lines on a frequent basis. The 188s will be on the 7 line for many years, so FINDs on these cars will be nothing but excessive.

Also, even if some trains continue to terminate at Times Sq when the line extends to the Javits Ctr, the LED light under 34 St will remain off. Still no need for FINDs.

Vistausss, on 08 Aug 2013 - 05:55 AM, said:Because digital stuff is the future? (just going by factual statements, doesn't mean I think that way)

Also, you don't know what they're gonna do when they open up the extension. Maybe they'll terminate some trains at the current terminal in rush hour, (the diamond perhaps?).Didin't see Rtos post, but he's on the money.

The 188s are destined for the 7. What logic would there be in putting FINDs in if they trains are going onto what is basicly a captive line..?

The point of FINDs is not solely line versatility. You've got stops shown in a larger font with the ability to number the upcoming stops, the ability to show emergency information, the ability to show advertisements, and a generally better-designed display. Frankly, I think it's a little silly the MTA ordered these R188s with technology from roughly 1999, but it's probably a result of keeping them compatible with R142As in consist.

LED lighting on the 188s is also noticeable in color, as are slightly tinted windows. 

Won't they still have to do some work to add in a new light and station name on all the strip maps when the extension is complete? That'll still cost a lot of money, though

less than changing it to FIND"s

I don't know how much the lights might cost, though I'm pretty sure the (7) has less, if not the same amount of stops as the (6).

Printing the strip maps is literally paper and ink (or whatever they're using).

I don't know how much the lights might cost, though I'm pretty sure the (7) has less, if not the same amount of stops as the (6).

Printing the strip maps is literally paper and ink (or whatever they're using).

There's more than enough lights available for the (7). If the (5) can fit with all its branches, then the (7) could fit.

Won't they still have to do some work to add in a new light and station name on all the strip maps when the extension is complete? That'll still cost a lot of money, though less than changing it to FIND"s

The line that seems to have the most available lights is the 4 line. Well there are slightly more than that on all 142/142A. The strip map itself covers up the additional available lights.

The strip maps are printed one time and more than likely they will wisely have the maps printed with the 34th St slot.

Otherwise that's not something that will be scheduled because it would require a crew to be in place ready to take the train. Why do that when the new station is literally one station away?

Because that way an extra train could be scheduled, especially if its the diamond (7).

And like somebody else pointed out: FINDs are not only for line versatility.

i think having Find is better then strip map. Over the years those strip maps will be hard to see because water/humidity can get there and ruin it a little. if you look at some cars , you can see some already kind of fading out , plus those light on this way direction is hard to see. if FIND is on there is clear an legible so the commuter wont get confused with the flow of direction the train is traveling. Also like someone else said it brighter with bigger font since you cant barely move sometime on the (7).

Guest Lance

Because that way an extra train could be scheduled, especially if its the diamond (7).

And like somebody else pointed out: FINDs are not only for line versatility.

The train would have to leave Times Sq almost immediately so as to not block the entire line. That's why the likelihood of any "short-turns" there are slim to none.

As for the FIND debate, you'd have a better argument if the 188 order was all new cars. With most of the order being converted 142As, they weren't going to swap out the strip maps on the older cars to make them compatible with the brand new cars. I mean, they didn't even bother to fix the deteriorating LCDs on the cars.

The line that seems to have the most available lights is the 4 line. Well there are slightly more than that on all 142/142A. The strip map itself covers up the additional available lights.

The strip maps are printed one time and more than likely they will wisely have the maps printed with the 34th St slot.

Ahh, good to know! I guess the MTA was thinking ahead

Archived