MaBSTOA #4105 Hiring Process

BusOperator3319

54 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Hey, I was wondering, since the handouts stickied on the main page are four years old, are they still being used in current training? I've already started studying them, but can anyone confirm they haven't changed since then?

Same basic concept as always and nothing changes according to the reading guide. The only difference you may experience is the pressure the Supt Instuctor may apply on certain things due to recent incidents that occured which the safety department learn based on these type of scenarios and wants to make sure new students are not doing.

Example: Operators who started before the vision zero was implemented  may have had a different learning experience compared to now.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

Same basic concept as always and nothing changes according to the reading guide. The only difference you may experience is the pressure the Supt Instuctor may apply on certain things due to recent incidents that occured which the safety department learn based on these type of scenarios and wants to make sure new students are not doing.

Example: Operators who started before the vision zero was implemented  may have had a different learning experience compared to now.

In addition, for the pre-trip, if you have a CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), they will give you a handout for the engine compartment, since that is now part of the pre-trip with the DMV examiner the day you take your road test. However, if you already have your CDL (Commercial Driver's License), I am assuming that the Superintendent/Instructor will bypass this on Days 4 & 7.

For those who recently went through the training, is this correct?

Edited by +Young+

2 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

Okay. I figured Vision Zero might change things, especially given that drivers who hit pedestrians on the street, accidental or not, are getting locked up. Thanks. BTW, my boss said they should be able to do a leave of absence for the training.

11 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Okay. I figured Vision Zero might change things, especially given that drivers who hit pedestrians on the street, accidental or not, are getting locked up. Thanks. BTW, my boss said they should be able to do a leave of absence for the training.

NOT  quite Bus Operator will only get arrested on the scene if they believe the bus was in the crosswalk while people were walking 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,I have a question regarding points on your license. I received a violation in January 2017, but I didn't pay the ticket until February 2018 are the points still on my license because it's over 18 months from the date of the initial violation.

15 hours ago, raeva0711 said:

Hello,I have a question regarding points on your license. I received a violation in January 2017, but I didn't pay the ticket until February 2018 are the points still on my license because it's over 18 months from the date of the initial violation.

Unfortunately Yes they are but that’s fine as long as it isn’t over 4 points your fine and good to go. Don’t believe the 18 month thing or anything like that. Them points on your license come off when the  conviction comes off. So if that conviction is still visable on your license so is them points. As of now i’m doing my 7+ day training as a B/O and I got 3 points on my license from when i was  convicted on 03/2016 more then 24 month ago and them points are very much there. And remember to be honest and truthful with them down at livingston and up at zerega.

Sidenote: when in doubt just go print out your drivers abstract. From the DMV website it’s only 7 dollars. 

3 hours ago, raeva0711 said:

I just got a ticket on Saturday and it added 2 points so total now I have 5. I'm probably going to get a lawyer to fight it.

I was supposed to go to Livingston on Tuesday. Should I can't my name off the list or leave it?

You will have to call them to reschedule your pre-employment. They will tell you that you have to take care of that ticket. If you can fight it and get it dropped down to a fine only, then you're good. If not, then you will have to wait until you're under 5 points again to be hired.

29 minutes ago, raeva0711 said:

The same thing happened to me! I got a ticket that was issued in 2016 and I was found guilty about 2 months ago. The point wont appear on your license after 36 months. They told me to go back on January

They count tickets up until 3 years from the day you were issued the ticket so you either have to wait til Jan 2020 for the first ticket to not be counted. Or fight this second ticket but when you schedule a court date it probably won’t be until a year from now anyway.

4 hours ago, raeva0711 said:

What happens when you get a ticket while on probation

Nothing. You don't have to notify MTA until you are convicted as @Tdolcy said. If you are on probation, then the union will advise you to schedule a hearing and keep postponing it, until you clear probation. Most of the time when you postpone until you can't anymore, it gets dropped because the cop doesn't show up.