'Super Express' bus to provide new route for South Shore commuters heading to Manhattan

BM5 via Woodhaven

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Attention, South Shore commuters: a new Super Express bus is coming your way.

The limited-stop X21 will link Eltingville to Midtown Manhattan.

It is expected to begin service by late August or early September.

The X21 will operate during morning and evening rush hours, with a one-way fare of $6.

The super express will start its route on Richmond Avenue at Hylan Boulevard, with limited stops along Richmond and Arthur Kill Road, before heading north to the West Shore Expressway and the Goethals Bridge. From there it will continue north on the New Jersey Turnpike Eastern spur and enter Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel. It will travel east along 42nd Street, ending at 42nd and 1st Avenue.

For More Info: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/super_express_bus_to_provide_n.html

I guess this will be great for commuters, but if it runs on 42nd, it is definitely not a "super express" at all.

Super express along 42nd St? Not happening.

It'll make all stops along 42nd Street, just like how the current x22A picks up at all the stops along 42nd.

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Attention, South Shore commuters: a new Super Express bus is coming your way.

The limited-stop X21 will link Eltingville to Midtown Manhattan.

It is expected to begin service by late August or early September.

The X21 will operate during morning and evening rush hours, with a one-way fare of $6.

The super express will start its route on Richmond Avenue at Hylan Boulevard, with limited stops along Richmond and Arthur Kill Road, before heading north to the West Shore Expressway and the Goethals Bridge. From there it will continue north on the New Jersey Turnpike Eastern spur and enter Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel. It will travel east along 42nd Street, ending at 42nd and 1st Avenue.

For More Info: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/super_express_bus_to_provide_n.html

Not even surprised it was inevitable

It'll make all stops along 42nd Street, just like how the current x22A picks up at all the stops along 42nd.

Not quite... This bus is rather unique in that it makes ALL stops along 42nd all the way to 1st Avenue. Most SI express buses do the 34th street drop off to Madison and then 42nd street pick up going back to SI and none of them go any further east than Lex along 42nd.  I'd say that the South Shore is getting spoiled... Still no express bus service improvements or restorations for the North Shore.

Not quite... This bus is rather unique in that it makes ALL stops along 42nd all the way to 1st Avenue. Most SI express buses do the 34th street drop off to Madison and then 42nd street pick up going back to SI and none of them go any further east than Lex along 42nd.  I'd say that the South Shore is getting spoiled... Still no express bus service improvements or restorations for the North Shore.

I know that, I was putting it in comparison with the x22A.

I feel like more Exp Buses should just use 42 St crosstown and connect with all uptown/downtown subway lines.... Would save a ton of time instead of meandering through Midtown. 

Even better if 42 St would be turned into a Busway between Madison and 8 AV, even if just during Peak Periods.... M-F 7-10am, 3:30-7/8pm. 

I feel like more Exp Buses should just use 42 St crosstown and connect with all uptown/downtown subway lines.... Would save a ton of time instead of meandering through Midtown. 

Even better if 42 St would be turned into a Busway between Madison and 8 AV, even if just during Peak Periods.... M-F 7-10am, 3:30-7/8pm. 

That was actually the plan for 34th St, to turn it into an Express Bus transitway. The problem is that unlike Midtown West, which is mostly commercial, Midtown East is mostly residential, especially in the 42nd St area. The 34th St transitway got thrown out because of residential opposition to loss of parking spaces (although really, it's not like that amount of spaces was adequate for the amount of residents there to begin with, so it would've had a negligible effect on how difficult it would be to get a spot)

Wondering about that myself... If anything, they may keep beefing up the X17.  Seems like they refuse to add any more X10 service...  <_<

X17 previously had the weakest service levels of the 3 offpeak SI lines. That line needs the boost first before touching the x10 which has a longer span than x17. X10 is not north shore you want more crowd the X30&14 s and demand the most direct ones to get boosted first.

X17 previously had the weakest service levels of the 3 offpeak SI lines. That line needs the boost first before touching the x10 which has a longer span than x17. X10 is not north shore you want more crowd the X30&14 s and demand the most direct ones to get boosted first.

The X10 finishes in Port Richmond.  Perhaps you need a map of Staten Island??

They don't meander throughout Midtown.  They cover the core business areas of Midtown (23rd through 57th street for Brooklyn, Staten Island & Queens, & 99th through 23rd street for most of the Bronx, with some buses stopping at 125th street, as that is also a business hub for some in the Bronx) and Downtown where people work.  If you're going to have people make additional transfers, then they aren't saving any real time.  The point of the express bus is to cut down on transfers and bring people from the outerboroughs and the suburbs to the core of Manhattan.  

I meant most direct route

Ain't nobody got time for dat

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.  Many people don't walk to the X10.  They drive to it.  The X10 is a very quick 5 - 10 drive for many on the North Shore.  Slosson & Schmidts Lane and Slosson & Manor Rd are both huge drop-off stops because there is ample parking there and also places where people can wait in the car until the bus comes.  Since Slosson & Schmidts Lane is often times the last stop before the X10 gets on the SIE, it is a fairly quick ride to Manhattan and is certainly faster than taking the local bus to the ferry to the subway.

What in the world is a limited (stop), super express bus.....

Anyway, the way I see it, this route is gonna end up doing more for x1 riders than it would for South Shore riders.... South Shore riders will continue taking 17J's & 22's to midtown, whereas this "x21" will have (more) folks driving from areas around Hylan Blvd, to Eltingville/Hylan, to catch it....

Wanna make this "x21" more useful? Remove the 17J from serving ETC when it's running..... Instant success will be attained, have that happen....

I was expecting something totally different than a route that shoots up richmond, to ETC, then across arthur kill.....

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.  Many people don't walk to the X10.  They drive to it.  The X10 is a very quick 5 - 10 drive for many on the North Shore.  Slosson & Schmidts Lane and Slosson & Manor Rd are both huge drop-off stops because there is ample parking there and also places where people can wait in the car until the bus comes.  Since Slosson & Schmidts Lane is often times the last stop before the X10 gets on the SIE, it is a fairly quick ride to Manhattan and is certainly faster than taking the local bus to the ferry to the subway.

Running away from the problem of not enough x14s duh

Archived