R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Apples to oranges my friend. The R62s and R68s are around 25 years old while the R32s are nearly 50. Plus, the R32s only saving grace is its stainless steel design.

The R62 are 28 to 30 years old,the R62A are 24 to 27 years old.the R68 are 23 to 25 years old,The R68A are still young at 23 to 24 years old.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The R188's are not replacing anything, but rather displacing cars from the (7) line. The next major A-division order is not expected until 2013-14 IIRC. B-division is priority right now with a total of 340 R179's.

Don't forget the R211s as well, which will replace the R46s. The R211 design draft is expected next year, and the order should probably be awarded in 2013, with deliveries in 2015.

From what I heard, initial replacement of the R62/R62A won't begin until around 2023.

Don't forget the R211s as well, which will replace the R46s. The R211 design draft is expected next year, and the order should probably be awarded in 2013, with deliveries in 2015.

From what I heard, initial replacement of the R62/R62A won't begin until around 2023.

So the R179's are gonna get delivered within a year (well, at least the first cars) and the R211's within 2 years after the contract? That doesn't seem right to me.

So the R179's are gonna get delivered within a year (well, at least the first cars) and the R211's within 2 years after the contract? That doesn't seem right to me.

Yes, that is what I have read. The R179 will replace the R32 and R42, and will displace some R46s to the SIR to replace the R44s. The R211 will replace the R46 at least in the main NYCT fleet; I don't know about the SIR. Initial replacement of the R62/R62A fleet should begin in 2023, and the R68/R68A replacement should begin around 2025.

True, but I don't mention them because we are quite a ways away before that era begins.

Now IIRC, R179 deliveries will run through 2015, and RXXX aka R211 deliveries will follow. There's no way to tell the timeline on that one definitively though. The R179 order is severely behind schedule as it is. That being said, anything can happen between now and 2015.

Are the R188's going to have the FIND system, even on the converted R142's, are they going to have the same maps the current R142's have on the (4)(5)(6)?

I don't see why they would need the system, as they are going to be assigned to the (7)<7> only for the time being.... besides, does the (MTA) really have that extra money to spare for something like that at this point?

There is only one set of north-south terminals. So it's not like the (7) will be diverted anywhere else. Strip maps are just as useful and cheaper. Not totally sure if they can work somewhere in the middle of the line, but if it works for the (6)/<6>, I don't see why it can't for the (7)/<7>.

Are the R188's going to have the FIND system, even on the converted R142's, are they going to have the same maps the current R142's have on the (4)(5)(6)?

Since they are new cars, it could be possible the FIND would be in it. But I would hope the rest of the R142As are still using the strip maps since it's not like they are going to be swapped back and forth often with the mainline once they go to the (7). No need to waste more money to convert them for a line that has no connections [normal passenger service wise] to any part of the system. There's just Flushing to TS [in the future, the Javits Center].

Guest lance25

If I recall correctly, someone posted something about the (MTA) looking into replacing the strip maps on the R142(a)s with FINDs, but we all know how rumors go.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they were put into the cars. Whether it's during this overhaul or some other one in the future, it'd be a welcome addition to the trains. Yes, they'll be a wasted expense on the Flushing line. You could say the same thing about the R160A1s on Canarsie as they rarely move either. However, on the rest of the IRT, they'd be pretty damn useful.

Right now, when you divert a train to another line (trunk or branch), either a large portion of the stop indicator lights go off or the "Map Not in Use" light is switched on. Same thing when cars are pulled from another yard (i.e. when the (5) runs trains from Jerome Yard) or when the (2) or (5) run local (every night for the former and the past three weekends for the latter). And please don't say "Well, that's the next stop display is for." If the (MTA) kept that mentality, we'd still have the exterior destination/routing signs that are on the R46s.

Yes, I'm aware of the potential costs and the (MTA)'s money woes, which is why I'm not saying they need to do this immediately. However, for the benefit of the average passenger, especially outside of rush hours and weekdays, it's something that should be looked into eventually.

The MTA is now expected to award Kawasaki the optional contract for 123 additional R188's by next month.

Delivery of the converted R142A's is now expected by January 2012.

Delivery of the standard (new) R188's is now expected by November 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

Whats the point of the FINDS anyways where else can the (7) be re-routed except via the (N) N/B.I rather have them trains have stripmaps b\c at least they won't be frozen they'll be off with words illuminated that's its not in use or they'll be on displaying the correct stops.But then again I don't ride the (7) so I shouldn't care much.

If they were put on the (2)(4)(5)(6) fleet it would make sense.

Whats the point of the FINDS anyways where else can the (7) be re-routed except via the (N) N/B.I rather have them trains have stripmaps b\c at least they won't be frozen they'll be off with words illuminated that's its not in use or they'll be on displaying the correct stops.But then again I don't ride the (7) so I shouldn't care much.

If they were put on the (2)(4)(5)(6) fleet it would make sense.

and system restraints (i.e. IRT can't run on BMT lines) make it pretty much impossible for it to even be rerouted via the (N) to Astoria. It can not be rerouted anywhere else so the strip map will be fine. If there's a (7)<7> G.O., they can just turn some of the strip map dots off (like the (6) now with it skipping Elder & St. Lawrence). No need for FINDS there --

Agreeing with it being more useful on the current IRT NTT cars (esp. the (2) and (5) which are known for switching a lot, but the (4) and (6) as well).

and system restraints (i.e. IRT can't run on BMT lines) make it pretty much impossible for it to even be rerouted via the (N) to Astoria. It can not be rerouted anywhere else so the strip map will be fine. If there's a (7)<7> G.O., they can just turn some of the strip map dots off (like the (6) now with it skipping Elder & St. Lawrence). No need for FINDS there --

Agreeing with it being more useful on the current IRT NTT cars (esp. the (2) and (5) which are known for switching a lot, but the (4) and (6) as well).

irt can run on bmt lines. the irt trains do fit. they do it when they do transfers. bmt can not run on irts lines because of size. as for the 7 it would have to be a extreme emergency for them to be sent to astoria.

irt can run on bmt lines. the irt trains do fit. they do it when they do transfers. bmt can not run on irts lines because of size. as for the 7 it would have to be a extreme emergency for them to be sent to astoria.

Right, but wasn't there something about the distance between the train and the platform that made it so IRT trains only run on BMT tracks during moves?