R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a question, which may be considered weird: since the majority of the R188s will be converted R142As, therefore used, will they be considered used and end their service run sooner than other new cars, or will they be considered brand new? After all, they do have 10+ years in service..

Since the majority of the R188s will not be new cars, probably not. Though lets wait until 2040 to see.

Already they are converting the R142As for the R188. The MTA must be eager to do the contract.

When did you expect them to do it? :)

2012 (or whenever these cars are suppose to come) isn't that far off.

Well, what I meant was: does it really matter if the R188's come within a few weeks or by the end of the year? Since they're replacing good-functioning cars, it shouldn't matter that much how long it'll take except for some foamers out there who want to see the R188's so bad.

Well, what I meant was: does it really matter if the R188's come within a few weeks or by the end of the year? Since they're replacing good-functioning cars, it shouldn't matter that much how long it'll take except for some foamers out there who want to see the R188's so bad.

The R142A's from the (6) line (most likely the 6) and the R188's (the few cars that would be built) are not replacing anything. They are displacing the R62As from the (7). The MTA wants to run CBTC on the (7) line. Unlike the (6), the (7) runs 11-car trains, which requires an additional car or a conversion unit.

You could better put it different: are the R188's so desperatly needed that they need to come ASAP? No. The cars that the R188's will replace aren't that old yet.
the R62a r almost 30 years old they are very out dated, they didn't want too hold on too them because they want fully automated cars like the R142 143 160 They may get rid of them if they have the money for it in 2020

the R62a r almost 30 years old they are very out dated, they didn't want too hold on too them because they want fully automated cars like the R142 143 160 They may get rid of them if they have the money for it in 2020

So! Just b\c they're using old school technology doesn't mean they aren't good.The 62/A's are probably performing better than the 46's which using updated technology.Almost 30 sheesh don't they look good and run good for their age? If nothing serious happens with those cars in the next 10yrs or so I can see them lasting till they're about 40-45.Samething goes with the Hippos.

Guest lance25

Apples to oranges my friend. The R62s and R68s are around 25 years old while the R32s are nearly 50. Plus, the R32s only saving grace is its stainless steel design.

Today as I was heading downtown on the (6) I saw an out of service R142A on the express track at the 3rd Avenue-138th street station. A few minutes later as I was waiting for the Lexington express at 125th street I saw the same set heading downtown on the local track, not in service with about 6 MTA employees in the 1st car of the second set it was using (numbers 7406-7411 were in the consist I believe). I wonder if it was taken OOS to be converted.. I was so close to asking an employee but I was silly and didn't.. :(

The R188's are not replacing anything, but rather displacing cars from the (7) line. The next major A-division order is not expected until 2013-14 IIRC. B-division is priority right now with a total of 340 R179's.

Today as I was heading downtown on the (6) I saw an out of service R142A on the express track at the 3rd Avenue-138th street station. A few minutes later as I was waiting for the Lexington express at 125th street I saw the same set heading downtown on the local track, not in service with about 6 MTA employees in the 1st car of the second set it was using (numbers 7406-7411 were in the consist I believe). I wonder if it was taken OOS to be converted.. I was so close to asking an employee but I was silly and didn't.. :(

Interesting, but if it was going for conversion, im's pretty sure the set would have been going uptown to be separated. There is no reason I could think of at to why a set marked conversion would be going downtown other than training or a put-in maybe.:confused:

Alright it seems like people just don't get it again so here is the R188's breakdown (statistics):

R188 (A Division NYC Subway Car)

Manufacturer: Kawasaki Rail Car Company.

Built at: Yonkers, NY, and Kobe, Hyogo (Japan).

Constructed: 2011-2015

Number Under Construction: 506 (146 new cars, and 360 converted R142A's)

Formation: 5 car sets (A-B-B-B-A), and 6 car sets (A-B-B-B-B-A)

Fleet Numbers: To be announced.

Capacity: 176 (A car), and 188 (B car).

Operator: NYC Subway.

Car Body Construction: Stainless steel bodies with fiberglass ends.

Car Length: 51.3 feet.

Width: 8.6 feet.

Height: 11.8 feet.

Platform Height: 3.6 feet.

Doors: 6 per car.

Maximum speed: 55 MPH.

Acceleraton: 2.5 MPHPS.

Deceleration: 2.5 MPHPS (Normal) 3.2 MPHPS (Emergency).

Electric Systems: 625 VDC.

Collection Method: Third Rail.

Braking System: Dynamic Breaking Propulsion System, and Tread Break System.

Gauge: 4 feet 8, and a half inches (Standard)