R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Honestly, there are sources online with this information. I have no idea why you keep speculating, and making statements on what you have heard without doing your own research.

Car Assignments

All of this information is based off of insider reporting.

The number of R142As on the (6) has not changed since 2004. They have always run 400 cars in revenue service during rush hours since that year. So the car transfers you speak of are non-existent in the context of the last 3 years.

Thanks I admit I was wrong.Thanks for the correction

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this going to be the end of it or is this going to go on and on because of what your 'sources' are telling you?

I mean really, who cares about who's right? The MTA has the last say on things and can change things at the last minute. Nothing is ever final. "Wait and see."

Its final let's enjoy R142As on the (6) and R62As on the (7) while we still can until the R188s begin service soon and the (6) gets its R62As back.

Guest lance25

I see they've gone full amber on the LCDs. It's a nice change of pace to see something other than mostly red on those things. Now I have to change my sig.

Is it expensive to add Blue to R188's LED? so that way it can be full RGB?
Probably costs a little bit more, but the price has come down.

Then, there's RGB's using yellow green instead of pure green, which would be even cheaper (since yellow green is the old technology).

Here's one I got (and notice the final message!)

Edited by Eric B

If the (6) is swapping cars with (7), and it comes out even, what is the (7) going to do when the extension to 34th opens up?

There will be entire trains of R188s. So it's not just inserting an extra car to an existing R142A. These will create a surplus of trains, but eventually when enough R142a's are converted, the (7) will be all R188s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i really hope they have some idea of what they are doing, if they are taking almost every R142a from the 6, they had it wrong the 5 doesnt run them at all, but the R62a are run down and in need of repair or being kicked out by time they have them R142a all ready for CBTC in another 4 years or so. the R 62a are going to be over 25 years old given them back to any line isnt smart at all, why give a line new cars just to take them back from them 10 15 years later and give you back cars that you just took away, the people that ride the IRT lines other than the 7 love the new style and its a real smack in the face to just give us old run down cars that need so much work just to keep in service/

Edited by chrisliz09

i really hope they have some idea of what they are doing, if they are taking almost every R142a from the 6, they had it wrong the 5 doesnt run them at all, but the R62a are run down and in need of repair or being kicked out by time they have them R142a all ready for CBTC in another 4 years or so. the R 62a are going to be over 25 years old given them back to any line isnt smart at all, why give a line new cars just to take them back from them 10 15 years later and give you back cars that you just took away, the people that ride the IRT lines other than the 7 love the new style and its a real smack in the face to just give us old run down cars that need so much work just to keep in service/

Of course they know what they're doing. The point is that this method saves money. And whether you like it or not, the MTA doesn't exactly have the cash to fun a full replacement of the R62A fleet right now anyway. Besides, they are giving the R62As on the (7) SMS treatment now, so they'll be somewhat refreshed when they transfer back to the (6). Riders are lucky they're not getting them in the worse possible condition in the first place.

For the umpteenth time [this goes to everyone]: (5) shares trains, terminals and yards with the (2), the R142s are not going anywhere. (6) has more trains than the (7), so there will still be R142As on the (6). The (7) had R62As because those had single cars and can be arranged as 11-car trains and up till some time later the 3rd rail couldn't support the R142As. If not for those issues, the (7) probably could've had the R142As from the start. R62As are not that terrible and as pointed out they are getting refurbished, so they aren't exactly going to be 'broken'.

And besides, the R62A's have the RFW on one side of the train, and having it it back on the (6)<6> (especially while riding the City Hall Loop and the express section in the Bronx) would be a boon to railfanners. ;-)

But seriously, the R62A's aren't run down, they're just as inviting as the R142A's. And you know what's a real smack in the face, chrisliz09? Hatin' on the MTA just because the (6), with all it's riders & tourists, are getting some "run-down" cars, in your words, while the (7) is getting the cars it needs to operate service. It's not what you want, it's what the service needs dictate.

Well I still won't rule out a possibility (*IMO) about the MTA maybe wanting to link those singles into 5 car trains as there's no need for anything other than 10 car trains (excluding the shuttle**). So I might not get my hopes too high about the RFW returning.

**but if the TS end ever gets renovated to accommodate a 5-car train, then single cars will no longer be needed on the main line.

For the umpteenth time [this goes to everyone]: (5) shares trains, terminals and yards with the (2), the R142s are not going anywhere. (6) has more trains than the (7), so there will still be R142As on the (6). The (7) had R62As because those had single cars and can be arranged as 11-car trains and up till some time later the 3rd rail couldn't support the R142As. If not for those issues, the (7) probably could've had the R142As from the start. R62As are not that terrible and as pointed out they are getting refurbished, so they aren't exactly going to be 'broken'.

i already know they arent taking any of the R142s from the (2) or (5) i just know its going to suck seeing them on the (6) and (4) those R62a are in bad shape i ride them every summer and its sick. they have bad PAs they are leaky alot of them have very bad AC and heating and with the rooms they have on all the cars take up alot space that the (6) and (4) dont need,. they have alot of over crowding problems as it is on the lex i dont know why they would do that. and just to point out yea they dont have the money but the trains are going on 25 years now Edited by chrisliz09

It's because those two lines are the only lines that can take on the R62a's as the (6) is losing the R142A's. It's a train for train swap. It doesn't matter what people like or not. It's a train to transport ppl to the next point. If ppl are that irate about it, then they can take the bus (and transfer to the west side), car, or whatever if they despise the R62A's so much.

The small cabs in each cars takes up at least 2 sitting and 2 standing spaces. So at most it's a loss of 8 per car or a net loss of 64 riders a train. Sure a loss, but not the end of the world.

R62As are not going to be retired after just 25 years. The ideal service life is at least 40. So no trains are being scrapped when there's at least 15 yrs of life left.

It was only yesterday that i'll have a fit about where trains go. I ride around in an Honda now so I don't nearly give a flying flip around train assignments as much. The only say I have is "IF" all (7) R62A's go to the (6) then w/ just 60-70 R142A's I only see them being used as spares or put-ins for rush-hours.