Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Do you really need to keep encouraging these idiots to do this shit????

I'm not, i think the person is a moron as i wrote that in the description. This is the type of shit that give other fans a bad name. Another (R) train pulled up directly after this left and the Train Operator was notified. I was just filming the train leaving and the idiot on the back was a coincidence. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not, i think the person is a moron as i wrote that in the description. This is the type of shit that give other fans a bad name. Another (R) train pulled up directly after this left and the Train Operator was notified. I was just filming the train leaving and the idiot on the back was a coincidence. 

Well you still uploaded that part of the video to youtube......

SMH this is why this generation of "railfans" is so mindf*cked.

They don't give anything to the hobby, they don't spend any effort or resources to keep these things here for future generations, they just ASSUME and DEMAND that someone else will do it for them.

They "chase" paid trips because of "photo opportunities" yet habitually ride every free trip, they interfere with and obstruct transit operations to get an "exclusive" photo like idiotic paparazzi chasing celebrities, just so they can brag about how they were "first" to post it as if anyone on the internet will actually remember or actually respect them more for it.

Yet when it comes to actually learning anything about the equipment or history beyond just propulsion sounds and what cars ran where, they run away scared.

When it comes to a serious preservation effort, they write letters demanding action but do NOTHING of their own to back that up. When it comes to supporting various organizations that have, largely through their own efforts, to this point done their part to keep this history alive, they do nothing.

This is the future, this is the generation, and it's SCARY.

Without dedicated people working in and outside of various transit agencies, this history will be lost forever if no one is there to fight for it. And fighting for it is not fighting to be at the front window to take a picture, or be the first to break an internet "exclusive", or writing letters demanding change. It's sometimes being the change you want to see, and I just see a whole bunch of railfans, that, unlike previous generations, who were relative pioneers in the field, are simply unwiling and unable to step back from behind the camera to do much of anything else like pick up a tool, or raise funds, and if that is really the case, it spells disaster for efforts to keep this history alive and working, and all that will be left in the end will be the same boring 3/4 quarter profile picture of the end of a subway car you all fight so unoriginally to obtain.

Today it may be an R32 on the R, but tomorrow it will be something else and while you're all fighting and arguing over nonsense, the history we have before our very eyes will disappear or fall into disrepair. And then we'll be just like any other city that ignored its historic equipment.

And based on previous generations, this obnoxious behavior tends to go away once someone steps beyond the looking glass and actually gets involved in the hobby instead of being another loudmouth blogging idiot with too many opinions, no skills, and not enough relevant experience.

Try it, you might like it.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Without dedicated people working in and outside of various transit agencies, this history will be lost forever if no one is there to fight for it. And fighting for it is not fighting to be at the front window to take a picture, or be the first to break an internet "exclusive", or writing letters demanding change. It's sometimes being the change you want to see, and I just see a whole bunch of railfans, that, unlike previous generations, who were relative pioneers in the field, are simply unwiling and unable to step back from behind the camera to do much of anything else like pick up a tool, or raise funds, and if that is really the case, it spells disaster for efforts to keep this history alive and working, and all that will be left in the end will be the same boring 3/4 quarter profile picture of the end of a subway car you all fight so unoriginally to obtain.

Its disturbing to say the least.

This is not a good situation because if this nonsense continues (Probably too late) it will get the attention of the police. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with contributions on the photography end but give me a break. Fighting over RFW's? Idiots what are they trying to do here? Dont they realize that unruly behavior such as what was displayed could end up in a ban on photography even if the delinquent behavior continues?

It was never like this in the 90's where it comes to railfanning. Just wow...

That's because every single person who read that confirmed proof dropped everything and ran into the subway ASAP!

I've heard, was at work at the time. I am not happy with this either.

I hope those people are reading this because its plain and simple you are screwing it up for the rest of us. What are you going to do if this gets so out of hand the MTA imposes a ban? Wake up people. OK leaving this alone now.

What happened yesterday on the R32 (R) train was a COMPLETE embarrassment to the transit community and is the reason why we are looked down at and are targets. Thank God when I was there, nothing really happened

Well stated. Thats exactly how I feel. I mean look I am an IT professional by trade also a nursing student but proud to be a transit enthusiast regardless of the flack that we recieve and the bias because of a few particular fools who think this is a joke. I dont know about the others displaying unruly behavior acting like punks with no lives. It is making us true enthusiasts who are active advocates at the board meeting many of us, and amateur historians, photographers and such look bad, indeed.

Edited by realizm

It was never like this in the 90's where it comes to railfanning. Just wow...

And I strongly doubt it's like this anywhere else. I belong to no less than 3 transit communities including this one, and neither of the other two (Toronto and Bratislava) have such large amounts of fans acting this badly. In Toronto, the most annoying thing I have seen happen is some guy talking too loudly about the train in question, which, while annoying and slightly embarrassing, is not that big of an inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. I have not heard of anything terrible in particular happening in Bratislava, besides a few people throwing around a bunch of stupid ideas, which were shot down.

I'm sure there must be the occasional badly behaved fan in both of the other communities mentioned, but by no means are they so numerous and so prominent as they are here, and in turn it paints a poor image of the sensible in this hobby, most noticeably on this forum. I really don't understand how different locales can have different transit fan sub cultures which cause varying behaviors. That's not to say that the hotshots who throw around the word "foamer" like it makes them the greatest thing in the entire world are even a tiny bit better... :angry: It really makes you wonder, eh?

Excellent points, SubwayGuy. I'm starting to hear the reports from yesterday, and simply put, SOME of you acted like animals out there yesterday!!! Over a damn train!

I ONCE worked the holiday special R9, and the sheer amount of obnoxiousness and immaturity I saw made me decide to never volunteer again. And I can tell you that if that was MY R32 yesterday, I would have kicked you off the moment I sensed any trouble. Some of you have no respect whatsoever for this subway system which you act like you love so much.

Excellent points, SubwayGuy. I'm starting to hear the reports from yesterday, and simply put, SOME of you acted like animals out there yesterday!!! Over a damn train!

I ONCE worked the holiday special R9, and the sheer amount of obnoxiousness and immaturity I saw made me decide to never volunteer again. And I can tell you that if that was MY R32 yesterday, I would have kicked you off the moment I sensed any trouble. Some of you have no respect whatsoever for this subway system which you act like you love so much.

Yes I remember, I was there. I was greatly displeased by the behavior shown. Disgusting.

SMH this is why this generation of "railfans" is so mindf*cked.

They don't give anything to the hobby, they don't spend any effort or resources to keep these things here for future generations, they just ASSUME and DEMAND that someone else will do it for them.

They "chase" paid trips because of "photo opportunities" yet habitually ride every free trip, they interfere with and obstruct transit operations to get an "exclusive" photo like idiotic paparazzi chasing celebrities, just so they can brag about how they were "first" to post it as if anyone on the internet will actually remember or actually respect them more for it.

Yet when it comes to actually learning anything about the equipment or history beyond just propulsion sounds and what cars ran where, they run away scared.

When it comes to a serious preservation effort, they write letters demanding action but do NOTHING of their own to back that up. When it comes to supporting various organizations that have, largely through their own efforts, to this point done their part to keep this history alive, they do nothing.

This is the future, this is the generation, and it's SCARY.

Today it may be an R32 on the R, but tomorrow it will be something else and while you're all fighting and arguing over nonsense, the history we have before our very eyes will disappear or fall into disrepair. And then we'll be just like any other city that ignored its historic equipment.

And based on previous generations, this obnoxious behavior tends to go away once someone steps beyond the looking glass and actually gets involved in the hobby instead of being another loudmouth blogging idiot with too many opinions, no skills, and not enough relevant experience.

Try it, you might like it.

Makes me kinda glad I didn't go.

Makes me kinda glad I didn't go.

Myself if it wasnt for the fact I had to do a 12 hour shift at the hospital with the RNs and RCPs I would have went yesterday anyway. In fact looking for it today, in case it is out there camera ready despite because I really am not intimidated. Of course I wouldn't be delinquent however. I never do out of respect for fellow passengers and the train crews as i always do. I'm too mature for that shit circus display I am hearing.

If I get it, I will post it in the subway subforum. Keep you posted.

I just rode in the back 1 way from 59th to Woodhaven since I had to go over there anyways. Not one foamer in the back.

I really don't get what the point is of all the foamers having to be up front and especially the sh*t that goes down over the damn RFW... get a grip, there's plenty of people getting the same video or whatever. I hit the back RFW and actually get footage that isn't the same crap everyone else is putting up.

I just rode in the back 1 way from 59th to Woodhaven since I had to go over there anyways. Not one foamer in the back.

I really don't get what the point is of all the foamers having to be up front and especially the sh*t that goes down over the damn RFW... get a grip, there's plenty of people getting the same video or whatever. I hit the back RFW and actually get footage that isn't the same crap everyone else is putting up.

Excellent dude thanks for the heads up, good looks. Cool, its out there. Hunting it down in about an hour.

Myself if it wasnt for the fact I had to do a 12 hour shift at the hospital with the RNs and RCPs I would have went yesterday anyway. In fact looking for it today, in case it is out there camera ready despite because I really am not intimidated. Of course I wouldn't be delinquent however. I never do out of respect for fellow passengers and the train crews as i always do. I'm too mature for that shit circus display I am hearing.

If I get it, I will post it in the subway subforum. Keep you posted.

Yeah, I was just really tired. I can actually get much needed sleep since it's spring break. I'm usually the one guy that observes the behavior, shaking my head at the fact that a pack of hyenas behave better on Tuesday. With the R188 debut, I waited until the 2nd day, and it was a great choice. How long did it run yesterday?

Thanks btw.

Edited by LTA1992

Yeah, I was just really tired. I can actually get much needed sleep since it's spring break. I'm usually the one guy that observes the behavior, shaking my head at the fact that a pack of hyenas behave better on Tuesday. With the R188 debut, I waited until the 2nd day, and it was a great choice. How long did it run yesterday?

Thanks btw.

The R188's? It runs 24-7.

I was talking about yesterday lol. IDK what's up today.

No probs, I'll look out for it then get to the West End Line if nothing happens.