Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw an R46 with cars 5656 and 5814 as the middle cars on the (W) this evening. Every other Broadway Line train I saw ran the trains they’ve been using up to now. Was quite interesting and I’m sure I’ll be seeing more of that pretty soon.

@Around the Horn, thank you for posting those photos of the pre-GOH R46s. It’s always great to see photos of R46s with blue stripes. They were much more colorful then. And they had a cool “take-off” sound when they left the stations. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

47 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

For crews, while the R46's are better the (N) and (W) over the R68 because of the electronic side destination, they don't belong there. Broadway Express simply gets way to busy.

Us Crews rather operate in a R46 cab than a 68/68A. We’re all hoping that there’s still enough R160’s for us. 

15 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

600’ train of 75 footers on one side=64 doors

600’ train of 60 footers on one side=80 doors

Big difference.

Actually 75ft cars have 32 doors on one side, 60ft cars have 40 doors on one side. 

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

I wasn't referring to the crowd control aspect. There needs to be 10 car sets on the (N) and (W), not 8.

Got it, I thought you were talking about having R68s instead of R46...well they have no choice but to use either one or both, because there's not enough R160s to cover. I'd personally say keep the R46 on the (N) and (W), most R160s on the (Q), R68s on the (B) and (G)  fill in the rest as needed. 

1 minute ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Actually 75ft cars have 32 doors on one side, 60ft cars have 40 doors on one side. 

Got it, I thought you were talking about having R68s instead of R46...well they have no choice but to use either one or both, because there's not enough R160s to cover. I'd personally say keep the R46 on the (N) and (W), most R160s on the (Q), R68s on the (B) and (G)  fill in the rest as needed. 

So the (N) and (W) are going to be full-SMEE now? Or will there be some NTT's left over?

8 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So the (N) and (W) are going to be full-SMEE now? Or will there be some NTT's left over?

Idk how accurate subway yard rosters are, but if they're accurate, there should be about 15-16 10-car sets of R160s left at Coney Island. So Coney Island yard would be about 18% NTT. 

Just now, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Idk how accurate subway yard rosters are, but if they're accurate, there should be about 15-16 10-car sets of R160s left at Coney Island. So Coney Island yard would be about 18% NTT. 

But why not send the R46 units to 207th and transfer all the 10 car R179's from 207th to Coney Island?

38 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Rolling my eyes, can you please read and ruminate? I said 600’, as in, 600 feet long train. Still the same thing.

32 doors + 32 doors = 64 doors total 

40 doors + 40 doors = 80 doors total

Edited by Jemorie

This is probably totally inaccurate

I'm just trying to do some math there. According to Lance's 09/16/2019 Car assignments:

• (F) uses 104-112 R46's
  • (R) uses 248 R46's

So I assume that 360 R46's (not including spares or extras for potential fleet expansion) are being transferred from Jamaica to Coney Island, roughly 45 sets.

• (N)(W) uses 290 R160's (along with 24 R68's and 8 R68A's)
  • (Q) uses 210 R160's (along with 8 R68/A's during the PM Rush) 

Roughly 50 sets of R160's are at Coney, with a minimum of 45 being transferred to Jamaica.

Crap :(, not gonna lie. As a South Brooklyn commuter on the (B) and (Q) , I'm a little disappointed. A lot of R46's are pretty beat up and not a good look, especially if they're moved over to Brighton. I'd also miss those 46's on QBL. It's gonna be strange not to see them on the (F) or (R) . On the plus side though, I think that means we'll (Coney) get R211's starting next year 😁 (if delivery is on schedule of course). 

Thanks for reading my mindless ramble. Carry on 🤣

20 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

But why not send the R46 units to 207th and transfer all the 10 car R179's from 207th to Coney Island?

Because only 13 trainsets of R179s are 10-cars and are not enough to make the (R) and (F) fully NTT unfortunately. If almost all the R179 fleet in general were 10-cars, then it would have been close to possible to make the (R) and (F) fully NTT. Remember, the original plan was to keep the (C) short length, which is partially why the R179s are mostly 8-cars instead of mostly 10-cars. The other was to get them to the east for fleet expansion and increased service. The (N)(Q)(W) will share the R46 along with whatever R160 that is left at CI for the time being.

Sorry man.

EDIT: On top of all that, the R179s are not currently equipped with CBTC, but are generally CBTC ready.

Edited by Jemorie

1 hour ago, subwayfan1998 said:

CBTC in QBL supposed to be Completed in Fall of 2021.

Jamaica before the swap had 396 cars (49.5 train consists)

Coney Island has 580 R160's (58 train consists)

So far Jamaica lost 3 sets of R46's so now it's at 46.5 train consists.

Jamaica would only need 460 R160's out of 560-550. (CI lost 2-3 r160s already) 

(E) uses 26 trains

(F) uses 46 trains

(R) uses 31 trains 

Coney Island is gonna need more R46's than what Jamaica has because of spares. Remember CI took 2 or more sets of R68's from concourse. So concourse will need those R68's back.

So the (A) would have to loose more R46's as more R179's come in. This means more R32 (A) trains and maybe R42 (A) trains if they need a higher spare count.

In theory Jamaica might need only 460-470 R160's since they require the least amount of spares vs the R46's which would require more spares due to their age.

So my speculation of what the assignments would look like

(B) R46,R68

(G) R68 or R46

(Q) R68A 

(N)(W) R46, R160

Also the 10 car R179's were always planned to go to the (A)

I don't know why y'all want them to go to CI when they don't have the parts for the cars. 130 cars would be an oddball fleet, with a chunk of 8 car R179's on the (C) with the 130 for the (A) it make the most logical sense to keep an on there. 

If it's that bad, they can put the R32's on the (Q) and restrict them to rush hour use only since it's a 60 foot car. 

I'm tired of the we need to f**k the (A) line over and give them hand me downs. The R46's are 45 years old, the majority of the (A) fleet is R46's. The R32's and R179's make a small chunk of the (A) line's fleet.

The (A) hasn't gotten a full fleet of new cars since the R44's. 

7 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Jamaica before the swap had 396 cars (49.5 train consists)

Coney Island has 580 R160's (58 train consists)

So far Jamaica lost 3 sets of R46's so now it's at 46.5 train consists.

Jamaica would only need 460 R160's out of 560-550. (CI lost 2-3 r160s already) 

(E) uses 26 trains

(F) uses 46 trains

(R) uses 31 trains 

Coney Island is gonna need more R46's than what Jamaica has because of spares. Remember CI took 2 or more sets of R68's from concourse. So concourse will need those R68's back.

So the (A) would have to loose more R46's as more R179's come in. This means more R32 (A) trains and maybe R42 (A) trains if they need a higher spare count.

In theory Jamaica might need only 460-470 R160's since they require the least amount of spares vs the R46's which would require more spares due to their age.

So my speculation of what the assignments would look like

(B) R46,R68

(G) R68 or R46

(Q) R68A 

(N)(W) R46, R160

And why can't they push the R32's and R42's to Concourse for the (B) and send the R68's to the (Q) ?

Edited by Lawrence St