Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Why did the MTA remove the rollsigns on the R46? The Smees kept them before and after the R44s/R46s. Rollsigns don't glitch and the old ones were fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I wonder if they could use some rollsigns from the R42 and put some on the (N) and (W) sets. Either Way, atleast they didn't put them on the front.

2020-02-18_09-30-31

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, paulbyron said:

Regular (A) rider here. I’ve seen plenty of trains with destination signs hopelessly wrong, from blank ones to wrong information to large amounts of burnt-out (I presume) lightbulbs, which make the sign impossible to read.

Same here and I’ve made my fair share of reports about this issue to the agency via email.

50 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Why did the MTA remove the rollsigns on the R46? The Smees kept them before and after the R44s/R46s. Rollsigns don't glitch and the old ones were fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I wonder if they could use some rollsigns from the R42 and put some on the (N) and (W) sets. Either Way, atleast they didn't put them on the front.

2020-02-18_09-30-31

Let me ask you this...do you even know why the (N)(W) were the first in line back in the late 2000s to receive R160s for regular passenger service after all those months of non-stop testing? Before any other line did? Or why they were the first lines to get R46s besides the (G) when they first began this dumb swap?

They probably want to be more uniformed and want more of the R46 on (N)(W) for LCD signs at Ditmars Blvd, and (Q) for LCD and because most R68/R68A cars does not have 96 St destination rollsigns the same reason how they are using more R160 on (Q) for LED signs. 

They also are probably trying to keep R68/R68A on (B) 100% similar to (D) using 100% R68, and some (B) train cars are also stored in Concourse Yard in the with (D) . Just like how some (D) are also stored in Coney Island Yard with (B) . They are trying to be uniformed.

Edited by bwwnyc123

Wouldn’t it make more sense if they put the R46 on the (B)? The (B) has to change terminals between Bedford Park Blvd and 145 St. Also, it’s a weekday-only service. The (Q) doesn’t need to change the rollsigns, so R68/As would be more ideal.

@bwwnyc123 They added 34 St-Hudson Yards on the rollsigns of all those R62As that used to be on the (7). Don’t see how that would be difficult for the R68/As on the (Q). A fair number of sets already have it.

Edited by SimplyMyself

23 minutes ago, SimplyMyself said:

Wouldn’t it make more sense if they put the R46 on the (B)? The (B) has to change terminals between Bedford Park Blvd and 145 St. Also, it’s a weekday-only service. The (Q) doesn’t need to change the rollsigns, so R68/As would be more ideal.

@bwwnyc123 They added 34 St-Hudson Yards on the rollsigns of all those R62As that used to be on the (7). Don’t see how that would be difficult for the R68/As on the (Q). A fair number of sets already have it.

Don't see why this is a big deal to some buffs to be honest. The R46s run full-time on the (N) (as well as the (A)) and nobody says anything about that. But on the (Q), it's an issue? Also, it's not like the (B) alternates between 145th Street and Bedford Park Boulevard like the (A) and rush hour (5) do with their branch terminals anyway. @bwwnyc123 has a good point.

Edited by Jemorie

This is why the MTA should NOT have gotten rid of the new R160s from the (N)(Q)(W) Trains. Astoria and Upper East Side residents, get ready for more of these mechanical problems because the MTA decided to play psychological and emotional games/warfare by giving us these crappy R46s train cars from the 1970s that are literally falling apart smh. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ And To launch CBTC. Remember how long it took to upgrade the (7). it will encounter the same or much worse delays because of the complexity of the job. So the R160s should be sent back to the Coney island Yard until you’re fully ready, And by then the new R211s will already be here.

Astoria and Upper East Side Residents would like to know why we now are subject to their failures? smh 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ 

90% of (N)(W) and Many of (Q) trains I’ve taken and seen are now the old crappy R46s cars, The standard should be the newest trains like R211s in conjunction with QBL CBTC, The failed design from the older cars like the R46s, R68s, R44s and R32s needs to go (Bye Bye). You want to regress or progress MTA? Can’t wait to pay more for a shittier ride consistently! smh 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Just seen an R68 (Q) set, nice throwback!!

Anyway, the set is signed up to 57th as I assume that set is lacking 96th/2nd Ave rollsigns. So cool seeing all these 75 footers on the Broadway line in the masses again!!!!

All we are missing is the R40s and it would feel like the early to mid 2000s again haha 

9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

R160s from Coney Island that are Jamaica, there's a note that CBTC will be launched later in 2020 around spring/summer season. The Express will be first. 

CBTC in QBL it expected to be completed and launched in Q1-Q2 2021, MTA has got nothing but Swap R160s between Coney Island Yard and Jamaica before arrival of R211s, EVEN MTA They EVEN admitted back in January 2019 that R211s will be in service in 2021 conjunction with QBL CBTC and srapping/reefing all R46s from Jamaica Yard, but they TRICKED and LIED to us by to giving us the crappy R46s from the 1970s that are literally falling apart badly. smh 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by SubwayFan3000

the (F) might be 100% NTT now. rode it today from W 4 St to Neptune Av and did not see any R46s in sight (except for those on the (G)). 

apparently there havent been any 46s on the (F) since last week and its rare to see one now. most if not all the 46s out of jamaica are solely on the (R) for now. 

like i said before, Astoria residents needs to get ready for more of these mechanical problems because the MTA decided to play psychological and emotional games/warfare by giving us these crappy slow R46s train cars from the 1970s that are literally falling apart. Shame on you MTA.

Edited by SubwayFan3000

Just now, SubwayFan3000 said:

like i said before, Upper East Side residents needs to get ready for more of these mechanical problems because the MTA decided to play psychological and emotional games/warfare by giving us these crappyslow R68s train cars from the 1980s that are literally falling apart. Shame on you MTA.

They are not “literally falling apart” and they are fine on the (B) and (D). I’d rather have them on the (Q) than R46s, but even the R46s aren’t that bad, they ran good enough on the (F) and (R), so just be patient for the time being... We get it...

3 minutes ago, Tonyboy515 said:

They are not “literally falling apart” and they are fine on the (B) and (D). I’d rather have them on the (Q) than R46s, but even the R46s aren’t that bad, they ran good enough on the (F) and (R), so just be patient for the time being... We get it...

R46s are stating get bad and suffering mechanical problems, R68s are terrible in (N)(W) and slow as f**k.

8 minutes ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

like i said before, Upper East Side residents needs to get ready for more of these mechanical problems because the MTA decided to play psychological and emotional games/warfare by giving us these crappyslow R68s train cars from the 1980s that are literally falling apart. Shame on you MTA.

Why are you complaining so much? The average person really could care less about what equipment shows up to their stop as long as they get to their destination in a timely manner. What is so special about Upper East Side residents that they need to have the latest and greatest trains running through their neighborhood? They are people just like those who live in Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Rego Park and etc that had to deal with R46’s on the (R) for 30+ years. But you are fussing about trains that are going to be on the (N)(Q)(W) lines for a few years at best. Hey I’m not saying that the swap was the smartest thing because perhaps they could have held it off a few more years till the R211’s get here, but I don’t think this swap is as serious as the problem you are making it to be. If the (6) train riders can get use to losing all their R142A’s for R62A’s so can Broadway riders with the loss of R160s for R46’s and R68/A’s.

3 minutes ago, DaPr03 said:

46s are worse than the 68s if you know your trains properly, unlike foamers....

foamers are idiots and they are part of the problem like MTA, yes R46s are worse than R68s and i agree with you. I've ride the R46s now daily, it is very very shitty as f**k and it has go to go ASAP when R211s arrive in Q3/Q4 2020-Q1 2021. when R211s arrive, I Hope and Wish R160s that were swapped out from Coney Island Yard has to return back to their home (Coney Island Yard) where it was swapped out in December 2019-Q1/Q2 2020.

13 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Why are you complaining so much? The average person really could care less about what equipment shows up to their stop as long as they get to their destination in a timely manner. What is so special about Upper East Side residents that they need to have the latest and greatest trains running through their neighborhood? They are people just like those who live in Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Rego Park and etc that had to deal with R46’s on the (R) for 30+ years. But you are fussing about trains that are going to be on the (N)(Q)(W) lines for a few years at best. Hey I’m not saying that the swap was the smartest thing because perhaps they could have held it off a few more years till the R211’s get here, but I don’t think this swap is as serious as the problem you are making it to be. If the (6) train riders can get use to losing all their R142A’s for R62A’s so can Broadway riders with the loss of R160s for R46’s and R68/A’s.

Not even that as well but to add on, CBTC is close to being done on Queens Blvd. Even though I don't like 46s on the N/W, we have to let things go as the MTA plans, it's for the benefit for commuters & transit in general.

Edited by DaPr03

i get that you all are unhappy about the (N)(W) getting a downgrade in equipment, but it is what it is. the 46s wont be getting phased out until the R211 passes its 30 day test and start arriving en masse. 

the only thing you guys can do (if you hate the 46s on the (N)(W)) would simply be to just wait a few more years. regardless of whether the 160s go back or not newer trains will start appearing on the (N)(W) when the 211s arrive, but it will take time. 

This could be a wrong reason but my thought that the (B) still uses its R68/As vs the R46s on the (N)(W)(G) or (Q) could be the amount of seats or room. The R68/As reduced the seating capacity by a few b/c the ends are cabbed off. Maybe, ridership on the (B) isn't that high compared to the (N)(W) or (Q) that the 68/As are a fine choice for weekday service.

There is, however, 160s, they will have 8-10 full 10 car trains left and can be saved for the (Q) b/c of Second Av ridership with the 46s. Or the (N)(W) due to Astoria terminal. For now, most of the car fleets on the B Division are all over the place. 

Might just wait till the spring season or when the alstoms are all off C.I by then. 

-----

Also: were the R46s meant to be the (G) as fully assigned? (so they could bump the 68s over to the (Q) or be 46/68s)

Edited by Calvin

1 minute ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

This is irrelevant what you're saying, R62s are better off compare to Crappy r46s and R68s on (N)(Q)(W) Line, Astoria Line is now suffering from worse delays (People are trapped inside trains and even waiting outside of station platform for hours) because of the complexity of the job, stations being dangerously overcrowded especially on 36th Avenue due to door problems, paying more for a shittier ride consistently, R46s are literally falling apart and suffering from mechanical problems, Also Astoria/UES Residents, Riders on Second Avenue/Broadway/Astoria Line are complaining very badly to MTA's NYCT Subway about it. This is not like the Lexington Avenue Line and this is much much worse.

Like I Said Before that MTA should NOT have gotten rid of the new R160s from the (N)(Q)(W) Trains and we Astoria residents are f**king Pissed off since December, SHAME ON YOU MTA, SHAME ON YOU!