Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Tonyboy515 said:

I can confirm. The last Alstom set I ever saw was 8743-8747 and 8768-8772 on Thursday on the (Q):

<Video omitted>

Besides those sets, the (Q) has been almost entirely R160 Siemens with a few R46s and R68s thrown in occasionally. 

11 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

8743-8747, 8768-8772 is back at Coney Island...  Saw the deadhead move myself earlier today.

So did it ever even leave Coney Island in the first place? Why would it just leave for a single day?

29 minutes ago, Tonyboy515 said:

It's happening... I wonder if the R32s will actually be fully put on standby in the very recent future

No they will not. They will most likely head to the (A), but they won't run the entire day unless the dispatcher wants them to. Train requirements and headways are lower off-peak than during actual peak.

9 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

No they will not. They will most likely head to the (A), but they won't run the entire day unless the dispatcher wants them to. Train requirements and headways are lower off-peak than during actual peak.

They’re really needed. For the PM they could be the Rockaway Park specials and for the morning they could be the trains coming from Lefferts or Far Rockaway that end at Dyckman St or 168 St, because in the AM, the rockaway Park trains go to 207 St and stay in service all day

15 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

They’re really needed. For the PM they could be the Rockaway Park specials and for the morning they could be the trains coming from Lefferts or Far Rockaway that end at Dyckman St or 168 St, because in the AM, the rockaway Park trains go to 207 St and stay in service all day

I thought those ended at 59th St and then run light to Dyckman?

50 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

They’re really needed. For the PM they could be the Rockaway Park specials and for the morning they could be the trains coming from Lefferts or Far Rockaway that end at Dyckman St or 168 St

They don't always have to do that though. Sometimes, the 6 eight-car trains of R42s (before they were retired) had ran all day. Not all 6 eight-car trainsets though. Just only like half of them or just one. Same on weekends. The only exception was during the Summers of 2013 and 2014, and from Summer 2015 through early 2019, where they along with the R32s, would operate at any given time since they were the vast majority of the (J)(Z) fleet at the time.

48 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(A) will mainly use R46 and R179 for normal service and then use R32 for Rush Hours or some Off Peak runs if they need to use some. Also glad they are putting some R46 back on (C) some full length trains and used with R179.

If the remaining R32s stay on the (A), they would be treated like how the 50 R42s were (before Summer 2013 and after early 2019).

The only thing I don't really like is that either way, the (C) is still half-ass and not everyone will be familiar with where the first and last cars of the train will stop. That itself will be a problem. Summers of 2011 and 2012 was superior, except they took some R42s from ENY and some R46s from Jamaica for obvious reasons, shorting the spare ratios for the (J) and (R). If the R32 fleet was slightly more than just 222, no such borrowing from other barns would have been needed, let alone, car swapping that took place all those summers in question.

(MTA) always be doing too much.

46 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

No they don’t. Check the official (A) timetable. 🙄

He probably asked that because I know at one point at Rockaway Park the overhead station sign did say (A) to 59th street during peak rush hours. So if anything that an error on the (MTA)’s part.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

14 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

He probably asked that because I know at one point at Rockaway Park the overhead station sign did say (A) to 59th street during peak rush hours. So if anything that an error on the (MTA)’s part.

Yeah, but they stopped having those Rock Park (A)s end at 59th in the AM Rush (and start at 59th in the PM Rush) about 8 years ago though (last time was 2012). Combined with more modern technology as time went on, including electronics, countdown clocks, and the MTA Subway Time app.

In the AM Rush, they head straight up to 207th Street and remain in service in general the rest of the day.

Edited by Jemorie

38 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Yeah, but they stopped having those Rock Park (A)s end at 59th in the AM Rush (and start at 59th in the PM Rush) about 8 years ago though (last time was 2012). Combined with more modern technology as time went on, including electronics, countdown clocks, and the MTA Subway Time app.

In the AM Rush, they head straight up to 207th Street and remain in service in general the rest of the day.

In general, Rockaway peninsula stations seem to have very outdated signage. Far Rockaway still has signs directing people to the Q22A.