Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Nah, they're rotating R160 sets out for CBTC installation. Coney Island R160 sets are going to Jamaica for CBTC.

CIYD already has their own assigned R160's; JYD already have their own assigned R160's; the R160's on the A are assigned to JYD.  JYD and CIYD are NOT swapping R160's.  Each yard have their specifically assigned R160's.

3 hours ago, vioreen said:

So Jamaica lends there r160s to (N)(Q)(W) line, but under what occasion. 

Whenever CIYD is unable to provide full service on their lines they provide for. 

Since the F is not providing full service at this time, they have extra R160's. Therefore, when CIYD needs them, they borrow them.  Simple as that.

27 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Whenever CIYD is unable to provide full service on their lines they provide for. 

Since the F is not providing full service at this time, they have extra R160's. Therefore, when CIYD needs them, they borrow them.  Simple as that.

31 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

CIYD already has their own assigned R160's; JYD already have their own assigned R160's; the R160's on the A are assigned to JYD.  JYD and CIYD are NOT swapping R160's.  Each yard have their specifically assigned R160's.

That theory of conversion of the remaining R160’s to CBTC may be true since 9102-9098/9028-9032 is on the (R) when it’s been a regular set out of Coney Island for (N) and (Q) service. Jamaica has however provided spare R160’s due to equipment shortages at Coney Island. Many R46’s are in the Barn at this time.

1 hour ago, VIP said:

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Jamaica should do a mass loan of R160s to Coney Island at least for the next few weeks so that those R46s get some heavy duty repairs, similar to how Jamaica lent out 210 R160s to the (A) since the (C) had to run only R46s due to the R179s crapping out. What helped the MTA was that they could reduce frequency of the (C) line to every 12 minutes and the (F) to every 8-10 minutes to allow “spare cars” to be available for movement to a yard that is currently short on available cars. The R32 retirement did not help the Situation since now the R179s are going to have to be in top-shape and the R46s are going to have to hold on until at the very least the base order of R211s arrives. Otherwise we will see a similar situation to Boston’s MBTA where the orange line had to reduce service because no spare cars were available 

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I should've specified. I meant that the Alstom (N)'s from Jamaica are currently loaned in place of the Siemens sets out of Coney Island Yard to get CBTC retrofitted. Not that the rest of the Coney Island sets are going to Jamaica permanently. MTA wants all R160's to be CBTC retrofitted in one shot regardless of whether or not it may use it. Prob cheaper to install it all in one shot then having to do it later.

Edited by danielhg121

5 hours ago, vioreen said:

If all R211 options are excercised and all delivered, how how that impact the current fleet operation in-terms who get what?

Well, that would be the problem. No one truly knows what line is getting them, at least other than the (A) and (C). Many speculate that after that, they will go to CIY and give the remaining to Jamaica, although some speculate it the other way around. If it goes to the (N)(Q), and (W), CIY would be given a break from the R46s and service would probably run much better without the mechanical issues. If they are given to Jamaica, then most of the Ex-CI units would return back to CIY and then give whatever remaining R211s to CIY. Regardless of who is getting the R211s first, I think service would start to run much better since the R46s wouldn't be running around and would start having more trains out on the tracks rather than in the barn for maintenance.

11 hours ago, vioreen said:

If all R211 options are excercised and all delivered, how how that impact the current fleet operation in-terms who get what?

Add 9838-9842/9883-9887 to Coney Islands roster, seen on the (Q) , along with 9853-9857/9868-9872 spotted on the (N) 

Edited by darkstar8983

this is rumored to be a swap to send all the siemens to jamaica and in return CI gets 9803-9942 (Which sucks, I liked these at jamaica) but its a smart move since there's only 140 of these.

IMO they should have sent back 8713-8842 instead. that would have been better

Edited by R32 3838

38 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

this is rumored to be a swap to send all the siemens to jamaica and in return CI gets 9803-9942 (Which sucks, I liked these at jamaica) but its a smart move since there's only 140 of these.

So it seems like they want all the Siemens R160s together which makes sense. 

I’ve seen the Alstom and Siemens R160s mixed together before but I know it’s rare. Why does the MTA avoid mixing the two? Does one take off faster than the other? 

2 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’ve seen the Alstom and Siemens R160s mixed together before but I know it’s rare. Why does the MTA avoid mixing the two? Does one take off faster than the other? 

Yes; the Alstom propulsion has a faster takeoff and it is more conducive to the elements (rain, snow). The Siemens propulsion, on the other hand, has a slower takeoff and they are more suited to the underground. As far as the (NYCT) goes in avoiding a mix of equipment, the Siemens do not do well with the Alstom propulsion.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So it seems like they want all the Siemens R160s together which makes sense. 

That would make sense since the Siemens fleet is only 260 cars, which is currently split between two yards. Yes I would have preferred all the Siemens cars to stay on the (N), but guess that may happen in the future.

Edited by darkstar8983

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

That would make sense since the Siemens fleet is only 260 cars, which is currently split between two yards. Yes I would have preferred all the Siemens cars to stay on the (N), but guess that may happen in the future.

And now saw 9888-9892/9873-9877 on the (W), + 9043-9047/9068-9072 on the (R) 

Edited by darkstar8983

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

With that switch, Coney Island gets three extra sets of R160’s-Newer R160’s at that; but the bland looking R160’s that don’t have the door mats, yellow bars and the digital ads

1 hour ago, VIP said:

With that switch, Coney Island gets three extra sets of R160’s-Newer R160’s at that; but the bland looking R160’s that don’t have the door mats, yellow bars and the digital ads

And there's no flip seats to the switch (C.I). The 8700s and 9038-9042 still have it at this time. 

Edited by Calvin

8 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Which is desperately needed. Another two R46s on the (N) crapped out today

Jesus wtf are they doing to those R46's. NYCT and Car equipment needs to stop being dumb and just run 5 sets of R32's on the (A) to bump out addtional R46's to CI to increase the spare factor, It's Obvious the R46's are being beaten to the ground and this all started when they threw them to the (C). Low Spare factor = More Breakdowns and issues. It doesn't help that they dominate the (Q)  24/7.

I remember when people were bashing me saying don't worry CI can handle these cars and each day there's more and more problems with these cars on the (N)(Q) lines.

21 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Jesus wtf are they doing to those R46's. NYCT and Car equipment needs to stop being dumb and just run 5 sets of R32's on the (A) to bump out addtional R46's to CI to increase the spare factor, It's Obvious the R46's are being beaten to the ground and this all started when they threw them to the (C). Low Spare factor = More Breakdowns and issues. It doesn't help that they dominate the (Q)  24/7.

I remember when people were bashing me saying don't worry CI can handle these cars and each day there's more and more problems with these cars on the (N)(Q) lines.

What seems to be the likely scenario is that in 2019, Jamaica just didn’t maintain the R46s, plain and simple. Hence why when the swap was going on, a couple of times, Coney Island had to send the R46s back to Jamaica to be properly repaired before being sent out. When the R46s were in Jamaica, half of them ran only 1-2 trips a day, and only weekdays during the rush hour as the Kings Highway (F) train trips, or as trips that were removed from service as soon as the train reached Stillwell Av. Meaning that these cars didn’t get much punishment, and could be switched in and out should there be a problem with the main R46s from the (R)

now; the only break these R46s get is if they run on the 86 St (N)(W) trips at 8:33AM, 8:37AM, 9:05AM, or 9:17AM, because the (Q) only gets one (if not two trains max removed from service between rush hours). After 7PM in Astoria; there seems to be a conga line of trains stretching as far back as Broadway or even 36 Av, with Ditmars trying to figure out how to keep the R160s and R68s rolling on trips that will allow the train to return to Astoria, and moving as many R46s to trips that are to be dead-headers to the yard once the train reaches Coney Island

at this point, either Coney Island will have to run the R68As from the (B) on weekend service on the (Q), or just switch all R46s to the (B) + (G) , R68As to the (Q), and R68s + R160s on the (N) .

don’t think this is going to stop soon. Today, an additional four R46s that I personally saw on the (N)(W) (still in service for now) had already one car with a dead motor, so it’s only a matter of time.

Edited by darkstar8983