Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

207th currently has 44 R32's they can use for service. They choose to let em sit as spares for the 94 R32's at ENY. They could have ran these on the (A) but they choose not too. 

Even if the pandemic didn't happen, this would have been the norm. They were gonna reduce service on the (C) to kill off the remaining R32's by reducing the R46 spare factor and if an R46 is not available,  the (C) suffers. This is the one negative about retiring the R32's. The funny thing is that your Lord and savior king Cuomo signed on for the (MTA) to reduce (C) service.

And right now since the (MTA) is loosing money, those R46's will be off the (C) eventually due to how much it costs to run them and the fact both terminals need addtional crew, especially at euclid. This is why the (C) should be 100% R179's until the R211 order comes in. Then the (C) could go to 10 cars.

Why do both (C) terminals need additional crew?

I was thinking maybe the MTA should transfer most of the ENY R179s to ENY for the (C) and have the R32s run in service on the (J) until the R211’s come in.  

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was thinking maybe the MTA should transfer most of the ENY R179s to ENY for the (C) and have the R32s run in service on the (J) until the R211’s come in.  

You can't go through from one end to the other on an R46 like you can on an R160/R179. The doors are locked, so unlocking them and then locking each set of doors would be incredibly time consuming. 

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

You can't go through from one end to the other on an R46 like you can on an R160/R179. The doors are locked, so unlocking them and then locking each set of doors would be incredibly time consuming. 

Isn't there a feature that unlocks all of the storm doors from the cab immediately in case of an evacuation? (Unsure about re-locking, perhaps that's why it's not used)

24 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

Isn't there a feature that unlocks all of the storm doors from the cab immediately in case of an evacuation? (Unsure about re-locking, perhaps that's why it's not used)

Right but they still have to go through and make sure all the doors are securely locked before the train is back in service.

13 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That's not gonna happen or change right away well is up to MTA because it was decided to retire R32 with R179 are completed and delivered unless  MTA's change this new plan.

Edited by Rigojefte Galo

5 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

Although this may change at anytime, there are currently four Siemens and three half-cuomo sets on the (A) . Tomorrow morning should see at least three R160s out of Rockaway Park including 8888.

That can be a Far Rock Put in, some R160's at Rock Pk yard are Deadheaded to Far Rockaway to start service in the Am.

Just now, I didn't see ANY R32s in ENY yard and judging by the sheer amount of buffs on the one R32 (Z) I rode, the 4th (Z) which was an R32 might have been the only one out during the PM Rush. The 32s might be back in retirement sooner rather than later. If the 32s are still in service next week I'd be surprised.

EDIT: Theres an set of R32s at Canarsie Yard.

Edited by trainfan22

10 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Just now, I didn't see ANY R32s in ENY yard and judging by the sheer amount of buffs on the one R32 (Z) I rode, the 4th (Z) which was an R32 might have been the only one out during the PM Rush. The 32s might be back in retirement sooner rather than later. If the 32s are still in service next week I'd be surprised.

EDIT: Theres an set of R32s at Canarsie Yard.

There's 2 R32's, the one on the Z went to lay up at 111th middle and 1 was laid up in the back of Jamaica Center.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Set of 32s not at Canarsie Yard anymore.

There's one set of R32s at ENY Upper level, I assume this will run during the PM rush in (Z) service.

That set ran in service this morning as a (J) along with two other sets on the (J) and one (Z) . That (Z) set deadheaded to Pitkin yard around 2 PM. There are currently two R32 sets in service on the (J) for midday and one laid up in the back of Parsons. No R32s are scheduled to run on the (Z) today for PM. 

• 3 weeks later...

Some R160s between Jamaica Yard and C.I tend to rotate for the day during occasion:

Today, the (R) had 9027-9023 w/ 9068-9072 while the (Q) had 8758-8762 w/ 9558-9562. 

About last month, the (R) had 8913-7/9088-9092 with the (Q) being 9853-9858/9883-9887

21 hours ago, Calvin said:

Some R160s between Jamaica Yard and C.I tend to rotate for the day during occasion:

Today, the (R) had 9027-9023 w/ 9068-9072 while the (Q) had 8758-8762 w/ 9558-9562. 

About last month, the (R) had 8913-7/9088-9092 with the (Q) being 9853-9858/9883-9887

They probably do so for maintenance reasons

2 hours ago, vioreen said:

I've never seen an R68/68A run on QBL lines like the (E)(F)(R) even before the installation of CBTC, how come? 

Because R68s were never assigned to Jamaica Yard. Theres a video of an R68A garbage train on QBL out there though.

EDIT: found it..

Also an R68 ran on the (R) one day within the past couple of years.. 

Neither videos are mine, credit goes to the railfans on YouTube who uploaded these videos.

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, The Rail Shooter said:

There's videos of R68A's running on the R line, but I don't remember the exact reason why. Not sure why they never ran on the E or F

One of the trains from the put-in for the (R) at C.I Yard had mechanical problems. So, they settled for the R68A that is available for 1 round-trip

Edited by Calvin

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

One of the 8600 5 car set R160's with unique blue lighting is on the (A) today....

First time riding one of these sets, always seen them in passing, but never rode on them.

How come only that car has blue LED lights but no the rest of the new tech fleets.

• 2 weeks later...