MTA Plan For LIRR Strike

Mtatransit

Well that and expect crowded express buses... There will certainly be some people that may just drive to the boarder and take the QM6 in or further up for the QM1 or QM5.  I'm sure not all of those Long Islanders want to use the subway, trust me. We have people that move here precisely because they want train service via the Metro-North, but don't want to use the subway. lol

Do they use the subway in Manhattan? Also taking the local (1) train from 96 street probably sucks and they'd prefer the Metro North. There are those in Rosedale that prefer the LIRR over the bus and subway which can take an hour or more to get to Manhattan.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally speaking I have a hunch that the MTA just might cut a deal with the United Transportation Union at the absolutely last minute as they wait to see who calls bluff.........

So if the civil servants go through with this, they will be forced back to work by legislative order from Albany through the courts which the labor unions could dispute regardless at the risk of penalties.

A few comments to clear up some misconceptions:

It's more than just the UTU involved with a possible strike. There's about eight unions involved.

None of the LIRR workers are civil service employees.

Albany can't force anyone back to work as the strike is a right they have under provisions under the federal Railway Labor Act. New York State can not supercede federal law.

Well that and expect crowded express buses... There will certainly be some people that may just drive to the boarder and take the QM6 in or further up for the QM1 or QM5.  I'm sure not all of those Long Islanders want to use the subway, trust me. We have people that move here precisely because they want train service via the Metro-North, but don't want to use the subway. lol

I don't think the people in Nassau or Suffolk will drive in to use the express bus (at least not in significant amounts). Most Nassau people barely know anything about the bus system here, and even the locals in many neighborhoods are not clear about what express service does.

I raised that issue with my local leaders when we had the Metro-North derailment.  I told them that those who use Metro-North in Riverdale should be able to ride the Riverdale express buses, and they agreed with me, but the (MTA) basically tries to steer people away from the express buses in these situations to avoid overcrowding and they don't want to add extra service either.  Needless to say, where I get on at in Riverdale there are usually a good amount of seats left before the bus fills up further south and down in Spuyten Duyvil unless folks in North Riverdale past the estate area get on, but I had to actually look around for a seat when I got on, as the BxM1 was pretty crowded during that mess.  I eventually switched to the BxM2 to avoid that set up until things went back to normal.

Yeah but a lot of people have said that they're going to drive to the border or drive to the subway, so you can't just think about the bus loads.  Plenty of people will try to carpool also to the subway.

The thing is, the (7) can handle all the major sporting events at Mets-Willet Point, so it would either be unnoticeable or slightly inconvenient. The (A) will have an easier time of it, since the stations on the Rockaway Peninsula before it hits Howard Beach are the lowest-ridership in the system.

My thoughts on this after 2 PEB boards why is the mta not following the recommendations of the board and what are they waiting for!!!!

The board said that they could pay for it, but only if they raised fares and took money from the capital account. Both are problematic; raising fares for obvious reasons, and stealing from the Capital account because that money is needed for urgent capital projects. It's also bonded out, meaning that the MTA can issue, say, $2 or $3 in bonds for every $1 they put in the capital account. If they remove a dollar, that's three dollars they can't spend on capital projects.

The PEBs would probably tell the MTA they could afford a raise if all it required was selling the railroad.

My thoughts on this after 2 PEB boards why is the mta not following the recommendations of the board and what are they waiting for!!!!

Simply put, they don't have to as it's a non binding recommendation.

Contrary to what a previous poster stated, it's the MTA Board that says fares would have to be raised even though they could not prove their case to either PEB.

Yay, more crowded QM1's and QM5's.

In other words, here's the shuttle bus map

http://web.mta.info/LIRRStrikePlan/LIRRStrike/maps/LIRR_strike_map2014.pdf

That will be interesting, to shuttle people to Woodhaven (happens to be my homestation).

I have the same question someone else had/has..... There are Nassau & Suffolk folks that use the LIRR that travel within those respective counties (nassau-nassau, suffolk-suffolk [especially]) & those that travel b/w those counties (nassau-suffolk, and vice versa).... Which begs the question, what are NICE & SCT planning on doing, if anything? Or will it lead to that many more of those patrons clogging up the (and even more) roads in those respective counties.....

In any event, some quotes:

Why would the MTA run a shuttle to the Howard Beach Station instead of the North Conduit Station?

Far Easier to have buses on-load & off-load passengers....

The shuttle during the Sandy outage when via Five Towns to the Howard Beach station, also its easier to stage the buses at Howard beach vs North Conduit.

Nailed it.

What I'm more curious about is what are they doing with subway service?

The bus shuttle service is carrying people to the subway I presume the (7) line which is already crowded enough...

That's what I'd like to know.....

I mean, the main bottleneck is the buses, which can only carry 15,000 people in the peak direction (and that would be all of the buses, not just the ones going to Main St). That's about 10 or 15 full trains at guideline capacity, and the trains can handle much more than that if need be with the trains running every 2.5 minutes. I don't think the bump in ridership would be anything too drastic; it'd be about the same as a home Mets Game, if not less.

Not too drastic, no.....

(using your metric)

Just about the same as a home mets game - Every (week)day for as long as the strike lasts....

Nassau patrons, perhaps.... Suffolk patrons, those current Union Tpke. exp. bus riders won't have to worry about....

Do they use the subway in Manhattan? Also taking the local (1) train from 96 street probably sucks and they'd prefer the Metro North. There are those in Rosedale that prefer the LIRR over the bus and subway which can take an hour or more to get to Manhattan.

For LI-ers that work on the east side, I'm quite sure they do... Because they sure as hell aren't taking crosstown buses to get to Penn....

I don't think the people in Nassau or Suffolk will drive in to use the express bus (at least not in significant amounts).

Most Nassau people barely know anything about the bus system here, and even the locals in many neighborhoods are not clear about what express service does.

That 2nd statement, I don't know about that... I think Nassau residents know more about NYC's bus system than they do their own bus system - By a wide margin, as a matter of opinion.... Hell, now that you bring it up, I think there are more nassau riders that know about the express bus system here, than NYC patrons in a lot of neighborhoods (the MTA forces the subway down our throats, whereas Nassau patrons have to think of other means to get around if & whenever major problems w/ the LIRR arises - and the subway does not fit that bill)..... For example, you should know that those x68 riders that ride out to Langdale (well, 268th st) don't be all Queens patrons that just so happen to live on the Queens side of the city line..... I was surprised to see as many riders getting off over there.....

The 1st statement, I can see Nassau patrons driving to NHP (well to be specific, LIJ) & using the hospital parking lot as a park & ride for the QM6 (significance remains to be seen).... Also, a similar practice was (don't know if it still is) done over there by HHE/LNP for the (what was then the Qm1a Glen Oaks branch)....  Suffolk though, I agree with you.

Yay, more crowded QM1's and QM5's.

In other words, here's the shuttle bus map

http://web.mta.info/LIRRStrikePlan/LIRRStrike/maps/LIRR_strike_map2014.pdf

That will be interesting, to shuttle people to Woodhaven (happens to be my homestation).

- Basically (with the QM1/5)

- ...as if that exit off the LIE isn't a headache enough w/ those trucks utilizing it as much as they do... Now buses will have to contend with that..... Well at least they're distributing loads to the QB local lines....

I don't think the people in Nassau or Suffolk will drive in to use the express bus (at least not in significant amounts). Most Nassau people barely know anything about the bus system here, and even the locals in many neighborhoods are not clear about what express service does.

The thing is, the (7) can handle all the major sporting events at Mets-Willet Point, so it would either be unnoticeable or slightly inconvenient. The (A) will have an easier time of it, since the stations on the Rockaway Peninsula before it hits Howard Beach are the lowest-ridership in the system.

You underestimate that whole thing... Plenty of people are aware of the express buses in the city.  They just may not resort to using them for a number of reasons (maybe they prefer trains over buses and see express buses as slow, or maybe they're too expensive in their minds). The two reasons I listed are usual ones, but you let the train be knocked out and you see how many of them know about it.  I have quite a few folks that tried the express bus and switched back to Metro-North, either because they found the express bus to be too susceptible to traffic, or they get motion sickness.  However, QM1 can certainly attest to how crowded the QM express buses are when subway service is knocked out.  Last night for example, I had numerous people on my express bus that took it because the subway was knocked out.  

As for your second comment, heh, please... When Metro-North was knocked out, I had to let several (1) trains pass before I could board one.  I had purposely scheduled my tutoring session later and it still was a problem.  You also forget that the LIRR alleviates crowding on the (7) in Queens.  Without that option, I foresee a huge headache.

You underestimate that whole thing... Plenty of people are aware of the express buses in the city.  They just may not resort to using them for a number of reasons (maybe they prefer trains over buses and see express buses as slow, or maybe they're too expensive in their minds). The two reasons I listed are usual ones, but you let the train be knocked out and you see how many of them know about it.  I have quite a few folks that tried the express bus and switched back to Metro-North, either because they found the express bus to be too susceptible to traffic, or they get motion sickness.  However, QM1 can certainly attest to how crowded the QM express buses are when subway service is knocked out.  Last night for example, I had numerous people on my express bus that took it because the subway was knocked out.  

As for your second comment, heh, please... When Metro-North was knocked out, I had to let several (1) trains pass before I could board one.  I had purposely scheduled my tutoring session later and it still was a problem.  You also forget that the LIRR alleviates crowding on the (7) in Queens.  Without that option, I foresee a huge headache.

Amen

The only issue that i have is the shuttle route to woodhaven blvd, there's traffic over there and with this, it spells disaster, plus they're gonna need extra subway service on the (M)/®

Not only LIRR Shuttle Buses, even 7Bus (Long Island version of BoltBus) will be dropping/picking up at Woodhaven Blvd Station.

Slightly little off-topic, but remember during Queens Blvd Subway disasters, most of riders of (E)(F)(M)(R) are impatient along with regular (7) riders trying any means to enter crowded cars, even thought conductor says "THERE"S NEXT TRAIN RIGHT BEHIND US." It even happens during special event at Flushing Meadow Park-US Open/NY Mets game.

I don't think Jones Beach and JFK Airport passengers has wouldn't ride (J)(Z) if LIRR Strike happens.

I don't think Jones Beach riders will take (A) to JFK Airport for shuttle bus to Freeport, then wait for n87/88.

Yesterday at Eisenhower Park, during Circus Protest, I talk to Nassau County Police Officer and after I ask about Caution Tape, they don't have enough Caution Tape to close all LIRR Stations in event of strike.

During rush hour on Far Rockaway (A), it is impossible to get on (A) near Lower Manhattan.

Sometimes crowded car mostly up to JFK airport.

I'm wondering if Pendergrast can come up with a deal at the last minute. We still have 6 days. Also we dont know if US Congress may even get involved in this pressing for a court order even though Cuomo backed out. Alot of things can still happen here.

I'm wondering if Pendergrast can come up with a deal at the last minute. We still have 6 days. Also we dont know if US Congress may even get involved in this pressing for a court order even though Cuomo backed out. Alot of things can still happen here.

I agree, but I also agree with the (MTA) holding firm. This nonsense about worrying about the "unborn"... I mean really... The (MTA) is not a cash cow, and in my mind, since they are funded with taxpayer dollars, they have an obligation to be fiscally responsible and not just cave in because the unions want to be unreasonable. With the way pensions and healthcare costs continue to skyrocket, the (MTA) cannot afford to be carefree and has to clamp down on future wage expenses. These guys aren't getting paid peanuts. They make respectable salaries, that many in the private sector would kill for. May I also add that the whole pension set up is a rarity these days too in the private sector, as their costs are not sustainable. They don't realize how good they have it. My previous employers just had a 401k and didn't match, which I contributed to. My current employer matches up to 6% of what we put in with an IRA option, and contributes a percentage of our salary as well even if we don't put in anything, but we certainly don't have any pensions.

Those of us in the private sector don't have the privilege to yell that everything is going up, so that means we "deserve" a raise, as it is understood that raises are based upon how well the company is doing profit wise... Tell that to the TONS of New Yorkers in the same situation. What makes (MTA) workers so different from other New Yorkers that everytime rent, mortgages and other expenses go up, they must get the raises that they ask for? I know they keep yelling about the (MTA) having the money, but it's a simple math thing. If healthcare and pension costs continue to go up faster than the rate of inflation, then how do they continue to expect the (MTA) to be able to keep up and afford these wage increases? I guess they expect the (MTA) to keep raising the fares to make up the differences? No one seems to be able to answer that question... lol

The letters we posted on the last page is not the final word thats for sure. If this really goes to the federal level (Which was what Cuomo wanted) its really US Congress that dictates things when they get involved and I bet they will get involved due to the seriousness of this.

The thing is I question Cuomo throwing the ball to the feds all of a sudden. Wasn't it true that he did settle a recent Con Edison strike? Republican state Sen. Jack Martins I have a feeling may take this on to the Congress floor as he publicly criticized the way the governor is handling this. We have to keep in mind that the LIRR isn't no small operation. It is one of the largest commuter railroads by passenger usage in the country and I am banking on the fact that federal politicians will now get involved now that they are aware, they may have a political contingency plan in place that the public may not be aware of yet in light of this.

The letters we posted on the last page is not the final word thats for sure. If this really goes to the federal level (Which was what Cuomo wanted) its really US Congress that dictates things when they get involved and I bet they will get involved due to the seriousness of this.

The thing is I question Cuomo throwing the ball to the feds all of a sudden. Wasn't it true that he did settle a recent Con Edison strike? Republican state Sen. Jack Martins I have a feeling may take this on to the Congress floor as he publicly criticized the way the governor is handling this. We have to keep in mind that the LIRR isn't no small operation. It is one of the largest commuter railroads by passenger usage in the country and I am banking on the fact that federal politicians will now get involved now that they are aware, they may have a political contingency plan in place that the public may not be aware of yet in light of this.

He has no choice but to ask that Congress get involved due to a clause in which they are the only ones that can get involved...

This is not looking good at all. Then thats all there is to it the strike is on, *unless* Pendergrast caves in with a last minute deal. Since the unions are not calling bluff here thats for sure.

Well I expect future negotiations to be just as rocky. Union members know very well what the (MTA) is up against, and unions across the city know what's the going on. The city and the (MTA) can ill afford to keep funding these pensions... Simply unsustainable, and they're going to try to cut costs somewhere.

Well I expect future negotiations to be just as rocky. Union members know very well what the (MTA) is up against, and unions across the city know what's the going on. The city and the (MTA) can ill afford to keep funding these pensions... Simply unsustainable, and they're going to try to cut costs somewhere.

Thats what I'm afraid of, indirectly New York City Transit might take a financial hit, not looking good for straphangers dependent on the subway.

Thats what I'm afraid of, indirectly New York City Transit might take a financial hit, not looking good for straphangers dependent on the subway.

From the comments I'm seeing so far, I believe that the riding public is going to rail on the unions. This isn't rocket science... Simply math... Not only that but the fares are already high enough and increases are scheduled for the next two years... It's like an endless money pit. The LIRR riders deserve relief.

Archived