MTA Plan For LIRR Strike

Mtatransit

post-6570-0-54876200-1403455879_thumb.jpg
Carpooling incentives and shuttle bus service from six of the LIRR's 122 stations highlight the MTA's Long Island Rail Road preliminary strike contingency plan, which elected officials and transit advocates say doesn't go nearly far enough to accommodate 300,000 displaced commuters.The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, acknowledging the plan's shortfalls Thursday, said its main message to LIRR riders in a strike would be to stay home.
"It would be slow. It would be crowded. It would at least double your commute time," MTA spokesman Adam Lisberg said. "This is a last resort. By no means should anybody portray this as a substitute for the Long Island Rail Road."

Read More: Source

post-6570-0-54876200-1403455879_thumb.jpg

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I want to know is what is the plan for all of the people that actually carpool to the subway? The (7) cannot handle those massive crowds.  This is why people are leaving Long Island... Pathetic... One form of transportation to the city and once that's knocked out, all they can advise is that people stay home?? LMAO I mean seriously... People can't just put their jobs on hold because the LIRR workers go on strike. 

What I want to know is what is the plan for all of the people that actually carpool to the subway? The (7) cannot handle those massive crowds.  This is why people are leaving Long Island... Pathetic... One form of transportation to the city and once that's knocked out, all they can advise is that people stay home?? LMAO I mean seriously... People can't just put their jobs on hold because the LIRR workers go on strike. 

People are leaving Long Island because it's expensive. It has nothing to do with Transportation. Also, there's more than one subway line in Queens, so the (7) isn't going to be crowded because LIRR workers are going on strike. I really don't see how the strike will affect me personally since I take the NICE Bus to Jamaica and transfer for the F at 179th Street to get into Manhattan, or Queens.

People are leaving Long Island because it's expensive. It has nothing to do with Transportation. Also, there's more than one subway line in Queens, so the (7) isn't going to be crowded because LIRR workers are going on strike. I really don't see how the strike will affect me personally since I take the NICE Bus to Jamaica and transfer for the F at 179th Street to get into Manhattan, or Queens.

No, they're leaving because it's overly expensive, and the LIRR sucks for what you get.  I know quite a few Long Islanders that moved precisely for those reasons.  Having to have your commute tied to an overpriced railroad with no other alternatives is not exactly an ideal situation.  There is no way that the (MTA) can continue to defend some of the prices they charge on the LIRR either.  They discourage travel to and from Long Island, and deter economic growth in the region, which puts further strain on the tax base.

No, they're leaving because it's overly expensive, and the LIRR sucks for what you get.  I know quite a few Long Islanders that moved precisely for those reasons.  Having to have your commute tied to an overpriced railroad with no other alternatives is not exactly an ideal situation.  There is no way that the (MTA) can continue to defend some of the prices they charge on the LIRR either.  They discourage travel to and from Long Island, and deter economic growth in the region, which puts further strain on the tax base.

Weren't you the one promoting the LIRR in the first place? Now that there's a transit strike, suddenly LIRR is an overpriced railroad.

Weren't you the one promoting the LIRR in the first place? Now that there's a transit strike, suddenly LIRR is an overpriced railroad.

Promoting the LIRR??? ME?!? I use Metro-North primarily and feel that service is much superior in comparison to the LIRR.  The cars are shotty and it's like riding the subway... It's not the first time I've said that the LIRR is overpriced.  I said that YEARS ago on here...

With this I'm going to assume the LIE going to be twice as bad as it is already during this time? Oh boy.

Wonder how NICE's patronage will loom once/if/when this strike happens....

People are leaving Long Island because it's expensive. It has nothing to do with Transportation......

Half-truth.....

Nah, he's been on here saying the LIRR is overpriced.....

If it's anyone that "promotes" the railroads on here, it's QJT...... And it's almost always in cohesion with express bus usage.....

To add to this a part of this post, Pinepower raised a great point regarding the LIRR - and that is, it discourages travel within the island also..... Backtracking from ((wherever)) to JAM, to proceed eastward on some other line is more common than a lot of folks might think....

Now granted, you have the plethora of Nassau county patrons that want squat to do w/ NICE, but since inter-connectivity flat out sucks for intra-county travel via the RR, it's all the more reason you have as many motorists that you do....

MNRR has a similar problem, but it's not to the extent as what goes on w/ the LIRR...... You have folks that backtrack to Fordham, but that's the extent of it.....

Wonder how NICE's patronage will loom once/if/when this strike happens....

Half-truth.....

Nah, he's been on here saying the LIRR is overpriced.....

If it's anyone that "promotes" the railroads on here, it's QJT...... And it's almost always in cohesion with express bus usage.....

To add to this a part of this post, Pinepower raised a great point regarding the LIRR - and that is, it discourages travel within the island also..... Backtracking from ((wherever)) to JAM, to proceed eastward on some other line is more common than a lot of folks might think....

Now granted, you have the plethora of Nassau county patrons that want squat to do w/ NICE, but since inter-connectivity flat out sucks for intra-county travel via the RR, it's all the more reason you have as many motorists that you do....

MNRR has a similar problem, but it's not to the extent as what goes on w/ the LIRR...... You have folks that backtrack to Fordham, but that's the extent of it.....

It's funny because you have a lot of pro rail folks on this forum and they say oh rail is the best way to go, but the (MTA) is very stingy with rail service, be it the subway or the MNRR or LIRR.  If they barely want to add enough peak service to the city, you know they're not going to give that much going in the opposite direction. They most certainly deter people from traveling in certain areas.  There's a few places that I travel using MNRR at stations that aren't heavily used, and the frequencies are such that you would be better off using every other mode transportation wise but the MNRR.  I also don't think that the LIRR wants to run service to the point that they would be offering "subway" service on Long Island, nor should they be.  It goes to show that Long Island overall needs additional transportation options.  I think it's a dilemma that Long Island faces long term as traffic becomes worse and more people leave.  They'll need something to draw people and young people now and days want good transit and want to be in areas where they don't want to deal with having to rely on a car.  One reason I left Staten Island.

It's funny because you have a lot of pro rail folks on this forum and they say oh rail is the best way to go, but the (MTA) is very stingy with rail service, be it the subway or the MNRR or LIRR.  If they barely want to add enough peak service to the city, you know they're not going to give that much going in the opposite direction. They most certainly deter people from traveling in certain areas.  There's a few places that I travel using MNRR at stations that aren't heavily used, and the frequencies are such that you would be better off using every other mode transportation wise but the MNRR.  I also don't think that the LIRR wants to run service to the point that they would be offering "subway" service on Long Island, nor should they be.  It goes to show that Long Island overall needs additional transportation options.  I think it's a dilemma that Long Island faces long term as traffic becomes worse and more people leave.  They'll need something to draw people and young people now and days want good transit and want to be in areas where they don't want to deal with having to rely on a car.  One reason I left Staten Island.

I'm inclined to agree, but that in & of itself is a problem also..... For one, NIMBY-ism is very much apparent out in the suburbs... Two, what additional options can they be given? Increased (and better) cab service? Helicopter travel to the city? Ferries (to the city, namely) is out of the question for many LI-ers, so what's left, other than increasing service on the LIRR (which the MTA simply won't do, system-wide)....

As far as Suffolk county patrons, while express bus service to/from the city used to be flung around by certain posters on the transit boards (plural), I highly doubt that's even feasible, as far as timeliness is concerned.....

ehh, I personally think folks are leaving Nassau County in-particular also because it's gotten too "urban" for them.... In one of the rare occasions that I go on city-data (almost always through a link I'm sent), I noticed a post saying something very similar.... Whether that was a troll or not, is immaterial to me b/c we have a person on this very forum that has a similar problem with over-development in Nassau, and he isn't the first person that I've heard/read such thoughts from either.....

Things are gonna get worse before they get better.... I foresee it coming to a point where you're gonna have the richest of the rich & the poorest of the poor residing in Nassau in-particular - which is a perfect microcosm of what's going on in america today, with the thinning out of the middle class.....

In short, Long Island will do nothing to rectify the dilemma it faces....

I'm inclined to agree, but that in & of itself is a problem also..... For one, NIMBY-ism is very much apparent out in the suburbs... Two, what additional options can they be given? Increased (and better) cab service? Helicopter travel to the city? Ferries (to the city, namely) is out of the question for many LI-ers, so what's left, other than increasing service on the LIRR (which the MTA simply won't do, system-wide)....

As far as Suffolk county patrons, while express bus service to/from the city used to be flung around by certain posters on the transit boards (plural), I highly doubt that's even feasible, as far as timeliness is concerned.....

ehh, I personally think folks are leaving Nassau County in-particular also because it's gotten too "urban" for them.... In one of the rare occasions that I go on city-data (almost always through a link I'm sent), I noticed a post saying something very similar.... Whether that was a troll or not, is immaterial to me b/c we have a person on this very forum that has a similar problem with over-development in Nassau, and he isn't the first person that I've heard/read such thoughts from either.....

Things are gonna get worse before they get better.... I foresee it coming to a point where you're gonna have the richest of the rich & the poorest of the poor residing in Nassau in-particular - which is a perfect microcosm of what's going on in america today, with the thinning out of the middle class.....

Yeah, unfortunately the way in which the island is I don't see many other options either.  I think the issue is overdevelopment in some cases. Overcrowding to some extent is probably another, and the new thing seems to be build like crazy with no improvements to the infrastructure... Personally I see this dilemma in not just Long Island but across New York City... This LIRR situation will really show how badly infrastructure upgrades are needed because having the (7) train handle those Long Island loads will be a nightmare.

Yeah, unfortunately the way in which the island is I don't see many other options either.  I think the issue is overdevelopment in some cases. Overcrowding to some extent is probably another, and the new thing seems to be build like crazy with no improvements to the infrastructure... Personally I see this dilemma in not just Long Island but across New York City... This LIRR situation will really show how badly infrastructure upgrades are needed because having the (7) train handle those Long Island loads will be a nightmare.

The problem is that Long Island, much more so than the City or the suburbs north of the city, is very NIMBY and obstructionist. On the one hand, there's all the kvetching about how the LIRR is shafting them with not enough service during the peak, but the flip side is that they won't approve the infrastructure increases needed. The LIRR Third Track project is a perfect example of this; right now, the LIRR runs uni-directional, tightly scheduled service during the peaks on the Main Line east of Floral Park, so many customers will not be able to take advantage of the extra capacity offered by East Side Access when it comes online, let alone the reverse peak trains that have become popular on the MNR. But for some reason, there is no connection between "the LIRR is not providing enough service and the trains block intersections 40 minutes out of the hour" and "the LIRR plans to add a third track and grade-separate railroad crossings" in the NIMBY eyes. As a result, even though it's probably necessary for the Island's economy, the Third Track has been struck out of every official capital planning document in the past couple of years.

The LIRR has a lot of problems. Hopefully at some point the LIRR's neighbors will realize that LIRR improvements are not some sort of zero-sum game, but until then we're going to have stupid crap like people arguing over 40 parking spaces in Port Washington so that the LIRR can build tracks that will literally double service on the branch, even though the parking lot could be restriped so that no spaces are actually lost.

Promoting the LIRR??? ME?!? I use Metro-North primarily and feel that service is much superior in comparison to the LIRR.  The cars are shotty and it's like riding the subway... It's not the first time I've said that the LIRR is overpriced.  I said that YEARS ago on here...

Perhaps you could quantify your continued insistence that the LIRR costs more and provides less than other railroads, considering it's not true.

Mile-by-mile, Metro-North fares cost about the same, if not more than LIRR fares that cover the same distance.  Hicksville and Port Chester are both approximately 26 miles away from Manhattan.  The off-peak fare for both is $9.00.  Smithtown and Brewster are also both about 50 miles away from Manhattan.  A zone 10 fare to Smithtown costs $12.75, to Brewster it would be $13.25 (fifty cents more expensive).

The LIRR runs more trains than Metro-North does, with the former running 20,703 trains in May, and the latter running just 19,330, over 1,300 fewer trains... 

On-time performance and consist compliance is also lower on Metro-North than it is on the LIRR.

Perhaps you could quantify your continued insistence that the LIRR costs more and provides less than other railroads, considering it's not true.

Mile-by-mile, Metro-North fares cost about the same, if not more than LIRR fares that cover the same distance.  Hicksville and Port Chester are both approximately 26 miles away from Manhattan.  The off-peak fare for both is $9.00.  Smithtown and Brewster are also both about 50 miles away from Manhattan.  A zone 10 fare to Smithtown costs $12.75, to Brewster it would be $13.25 (fifty cents more expensive).

The LIRR runs more trains than Metro-North does, with the former running 20,703 trains in May, and the latter running just 19,330, over 1,300 fewer trains... 

On-time performance and consist compliance is also lower on Metro-North than it is on the LIRR.

You can throw out all of the stats that you want, but at the end of the day, perception plays a huge role in how the riding public perceives the railroad, and there are numerous articles out there that talk about frustrated LIRR riders and unreliable service.  Maybe the LIRR's performance is better, but overall the transportation on Long Island is such that it if it goes down, all hell breaks loose.  The bus system is pathetic, and traffic is a mess as well. In comparison, I'd argue that you have better options in Westchester.  Apparently I'm not the only one that views the LIRR like this either.

The MTA has shown time and time again a neglect for Long Islanders. The LIRR is more unreliable and dirtier than the Metro-North railroad, also run by the MTA. They are both run by the MTA, yet Metro-North always gets treated better. Metro-North has improved it's reverse peak service, so much so, areas in Westchester such as White Plains, and Stamford in Connecticut, have become huge employment centers full of office buildings and companies that have headquartered there. But The Long Island Railroad has done little, if anything, for reverse commuters.

Source: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=eb0_1344488393

Other links:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/commuters-slam-lirr-communications-woes-1.2641146

http://www.thelirrtoday.com/2014/05/the-struggling-state-of-lirrs-diesel.html

I have clients on Long Island, and any time I go out there, I feel as if I'm visiting another country, and that's with me using the LIRR and either getting picked up or taking car service. 

LOL.... I didn't mention the debacle with the Belmont situation... You seriously believe that people are going to think about those stats when they see THOUSANDS of stranded passengers on a repeated basis?!?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/thousands-stuck-belmont-lirr-woes-article-1.1822081

The problem is that Long Island, much more so than the City or the suburbs north of the city, is very NIMBY and obstructionist. On the one hand, there's all the kvetching about how the LIRR is shafting them with not enough service during the peak, but the flip side is that they won't approve the infrastructure increases needed. The LIRR Third Track project is a perfect example of this; right now, the LIRR runs uni-directional, tightly scheduled service during the peaks on the Main Line east of Floral Park, so many customers will not be able to take advantage of the extra capacity offered by East Side Access when it comes online, let alone the reverse peak trains that have become popular on the MNR. But for some reason, there is no connection between "the LIRR is not providing enough service and the trains block intersections 40 minutes out of the hour" and "the LIRR plans to add a third track and grade-separate railroad crossings" in the NIMBY eyes. As a result, even though it's probably necessary for the Island's economy, the Third Track has been struck out of every official capital planning document in the past couple of years.

The LIRR has a lot of problems. Hopefully at some point the LIRR's neighbors will realize that LIRR improvements are not some sort of zero-sum game, but until then we're going to have stupid crap like people arguing over 40 parking spaces in Port Washington so that the LIRR can build tracks that will literally double service on the branch, even though the parking lot could be restriped so that no spaces are actually lost.

I would agree with that assessment.  The problem is that the infrastructure is poor on Long Island to begin with, and with them being NIMBYs, it just worsens the situation even more.

You can throw out all of the stats that you want, but at the end of the day, perception plays a huge role in how the riding public perceives the railroad, and there are numerous articles out there that talk about frustrated LIRR riders and unreliable service.  Maybe the LIRR's performance is better, but overall the transportation on Long Island is such that it if it goes down, all hell breaks loose.  The bus system is pathetic, and traffic is a mess as well. In comparison, I'd argue that you have better options in Westchester.  Apparently I'm not the only one that views the LIRR like this either.

Source: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=eb0_1344488393

Other links:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/commuters-slam-lirr-communications-woes-1.2641146

http://www.thelirrtoday.com/2014/05/the-struggling-state-of-lirrs-diesel.html

I have clients on Long Island, and any time I go out there, I feel as if I'm visiting another country, and that's with me using the LIRR and either getting picked up or taking car service. 

LOL.... I didn't mention the debacle with the Belmont situation... You seriously believe that people are going to think about those stats when they see THOUSANDS of stranded passengers on a repeated basis?!?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/thousands-stuck-belmont-lirr-woes-article-1.1822081

I would agree with that assessment.  The problem is that the infrastructure is poor on Long Island to begin with, and with them being NIMBYs, it just worsens the situation even more.

Hold on a second...Metro-North is not necessarily at the top of the Public Relations world either.  Performance is directly tied to the user's perception of the system, and Metro-North has not been performing as well as it has recently, and there are many people unhappy with Metro-North and the services they provide.  And the same thing could be said for New Jersey Transit, SEPTA, MBTA, Metra, VRE, MARC, Caltrain, Metrolink, Tri-Rail, UTA, NICTD, Sounder, Trinity, Coaster, etc., etc., etc. 

I forget off the top of my head who said the quote, but it went something like this: "People hate commuting, so they will naturally hate the means by which they commute."

The Long Island Rail Road is not perceived as a perfect, infallible organization, and even if it did run perfectly 100% of the time, there will still be some disgruntled users.  Prove that there are fewer people unhappy about Metro-North than the LIRR...  Something more than Googling a bunch of articles (and erroneously interpreting one that I wrote), please.  I have backed up my claims with facts, could you perhaps support your claim with something other than your clouded opinion?

"Lol" you obviously don't understand the situation behind that.  New Jersey Transit failed more miserably at the Super Bowl, are they now worse than the LIRR?

And, again, you are incorrect.  There are a number of places where infrastructure improvements are currently planned, or are underway, with little or no local opposition.

Hold on a second...Metro-North is not necessarily at the top of the Public Relations world either.  Performance is directly tied to the user's perception of the system, and Metro-North has not been performing as well as it has recently, and there are many people unhappy with Metro-North and the services they provide.  And the same thing could be said for New Jersey Transit, SEPTA, MBTA, Metra, VRE, MARC, Caltrain, Metrolink, Tri-Rail, UTA, NICTD, Sounder, Trinity, Coaster, etc., etc., etc. 

I forget off the top of my head who said the quote, but it went something like this: "People hate commuting, so they will naturally hate the means by which they commute."

The Long Island Rail Road is not perceived as a perfect, infallible organization, and even if it did run perfectly 100% of the time, there will still be some disgruntled users.  Prove that there are fewer people unhappy about Metro-North than the LIRR...  Something more than Googling a bunch of articles (and erroneously interpreting one that I wrote), please.  I have backed up my claims with facts, could you perhaps support your claim with something other than your clouded opinion?

"Lol" you obviously don't understand the situation behind that.  New Jersey Transit failed more miserably at the Super Bowl, are they now worse than the LIRR?

And, again, you are incorrect.  There are a number of places where infrastructure improvements are currently planned, or are underway, with little or no local opposition.

You're right... Metro-North has its problems too.  However, it is still better than the LIRR... Only recently has its reputation taken a hit... As for NJ Transit, that's in another state that has a completely different set up.  We're talking about transportation here in New York.  This is a forum where people voice their opinions... You can post your stats, but as I said before, stats don't tell the whole picture.  Aside from that, if we went solely on the (MTA) 's stats, the perception of the (MTA) would look vastly different.

Please... You try to act as if that situation was so complex... The fact is that the (MTA) FAILED to deliver, period.  The riders don't give a damn about all of the particulars.  All they care about is that they paid to be moved from point A to point B and the (MTA) miscalculated their needs.  As for NJT, again with comparing of another state... New York is unique.  We have the largest transportation system around, so you comparing NJT to the (MTA) is comparing apples to oranges.

As for your final point, no one said that every infrastructure project was opposed.  What was stated was that NIMBYism does exist in some cases.  NICE is a perfect example.  Just because you're fine wit the LIRR and it fits your needs doesn't mean that others are, and as someone from the outside who does business on Long Island, I can attest to the fact that the transportation issues on the Island hurt the island economically due to the difficulties posed in terms of transportation.

The express bus service used to exist until the railroad got its act together and the operators tapped out.

I am considering asking for Emergency Temporary Authority during the strike to operate express buses to Suffolk County.

I don't understand why there are those that think the 7 would be overloaded if the LIRR goes on strike. The LIE/NSP is going to be Jammed and there are only so many spots at Citi Field.

I remember the last time there was a strike, the NSP was bumper to bumper before 6am (they had footage on news12.) The footage was the section between the LIE and the Meadowbrook Parkway, 4 lanes of break lights  B-) . This time we can view the chaos on google maps. There are already red lines everywhere lately in the afternoon/evening now that the weather is nice. 

If you don't think this affects you because you take NICE bus, your bus will be stuck in traffic.

I don't understand why there are those that think the 7 would be overloaded if the LIRR goes on strike. The LIE/NSP is going to be Jammed and there are only so many spots at Citi Field.

I remember the last time there was a strike, the NSP was bumper to bumper before 6am (they had footage on news12.) The footage was the section between the LIE and the Meadowbrook Parkway, 4 lanes of break lights B-) . This time we can view the chaos on google maps. There are already red lines everywhere lately in the afternoon/evening now that the weather is nice.

If you don't think this affects you because you take NICE bus, your bus will be stuck in traffic.

I would imagine they would put a carpool on the LI highways if LIRR went on strike, so traffic shouldn't be much worse than it normally is.

Best solution is to have Veolia run the LIRR.  MTA should be dismantled.

That's a horrible idea!

As I keep on saying NIMBYs have too much say in public transportation. They are selfish they only care about their own needs. (e.g parking spaces, losing a tiny bit of their property for a third track, a tiny bit more noise) They have to realize this will benefit hundreds of thousands of commuters daily.

Archived