Bus drivers and how they address passengers

Via Garibaldi 8

Son? Really? Wow... That in my mind is totally disrespectful... To me as a young person, I feel as if people have a tendency to approach you in ways that they wouldn't as that's my whole problem with this. I don't think those liberties should be taken. It's less about the word and more about respect. Same thing with sir. You don't know me and I don't know you, so keep it formal and don't treat me like a kid. We're both grown-ups , so let's act the part unless it's agreed by BOTH of us that less formal greetings are okay.

I think it's a culture thing...that's a fairly common term in my part of Queens. I've even seen old folks get called "son" lol

You should stand by QCM where all the hot dog stands are, there are several people there who (even if you're like 100 feet away) will say "HEY BRO", just to sell you candy for "a music project". What chuckles me also, they try to disguise it in gift bags, like those types of small bags that you would see some girl carry around. Never bought candy from them, but I usually say I gotta go catch the bus (as if I'm in a hurried mood, which is usually the case, because the Q38 going home, when I do it, is no easy task).

You talking about that block opposite the McDonalds, on the 59th av side? Usually see a lot of those halal carts over there....

I've never paid attention to any of this though.... I'll try to remember to keep watch of this activity (lol) the next time I'm around QCM....

Sounds like the B/O's are just trying to be friendly to me...on EXP runs, it tends to be older/old people, so I've found that a lot of the younger B/O's like seeing another person around their age get on, and many of them will have conversations with me. I'd take it as a friendly compliment if I were you. 

With younger b/o's, I find the exact opposite.... I tend to get smirks from younger (looking) b/o's, as if to suggest, what are YOU doing on this bus - This is why I chose express bus runs, to not deal w/ young knuckleheads on the local.....

I've had B/O's call me "son" or "bro", not "brother" specifically, but I'm perfectly fine with any of those terms as I'm not a formal person. I enjoy talking to the young B/O's driving the exp routes. 

In fact, I don't like getting called "sir" because the only people that do that are the DMV workers who seem to say it sarcastically with a sneer. 

I wouldn't mind "bro" or "brother" (although I would do a double take if I heard the full word "brother")....

When I hear ppl. say "bro" in a statement, more often than not I tend to not pay attention to it anyway; it's that commonplace these days...

for example: "aye bro, how you think the knicks goin do this year"?

(before I answer, they'll still suck as usual :D )

I'd register this comment in my head as "how you think the knicks goin do this year"

Son? Really? Wow... That in my mind is totally disrespectful... To me as a young person, I feel as if people have a tendency to approach you in ways that they wouldn't as that's my whole problem with this. I don't think those liberties should be taken. It's less about the word and more about respect. Same thing with sir. You don't know me and I don't know you, so keep it formal and don't treat me like a kid. We're both grown-ups , so let's act the part unless it's agreed by BOTH of us that less formal greetings are okay.

I was never fond of that "son" shit.... Not due to the literal meaning of the word (as if to say, you're my daddy & I'm your son, on some inferior/superior tip) - But "son" bothers me, because for one, it has a tinge of sounding ignorant.... And also, by the person who's like "what up, son", it's like, if you aint feelin the same way he feelin, a spat can break out from it... Seen it happen too many times, where if the person being "greeted" is in a f***ed up mood, the next thing said is something along the lines of a "what the f*** is up with you"....

This may be immaterial to you, but "son" to me is usually said by someone more aggressive (in that instance when it's said anyway) than when "bro" or "brother" is said.... The latter is usually said when that person is calm(er) themselves.....

Of late I've been having quite a B/O's (white, latino and black alike) take the liberty of calling me "brother", which I find rather weird and disrespectful, especially as I become older in age as a young adult.  I don't like anyone calling me "brother" (aside from family of course if I had siblings) and that wouldn't apply there, as I don't have any siblings.  I'm just amazed at the liberties that some people take when they don't even know you.  In my mind, it's a form of disrespect, as I don't greet people out of their name when I don't know them unless I know that they're fine with being greeted in a particular way.  I was raised that you should always address people that you don't know as "sir", "miss", "mam" etc. to show respect, but it seems as if that is lacking these days. 

The other one that I've heard used is "G", which I have no idea what in the hell that means....  <_<

What do you think, bro?

vvvvv

I still think they should run 30 foot Gillig buses on the BxM1

You talking about that block opposite the McDonalds, on the 59th av side? Usually see a lot of those halal carts over there....

I've never paid attention to any of this though.... I'll try to remember to keep watch of this activity (lol) the next time I'm around QCM....

They usually hide under the halal carts, and then they dart out. They also tend to come up to people when ordering something from there (has happened to me once).

Well maybe that's the case, but I can't think of anyone I work with that is that informal.  Then again the people that I work with are my age or older in my office, including most of my clients, and when I do tutor kids on the side, the parents make it clear that I am to be addressed by my first name or as Mr. (last name), as they are usually my age or older.

I think it's a culture thing...that's a fairly common term in my part of Queens. I've even seen old folks get called "son" lol

Yeah its just urban culture, such slang is unique to NYC in comparison to the West coast, I dont necessarily make a big deal. In an informal setting I don't take offense if someone calls me 'son' or 'dawg' or whatever. It all depends on the context of which it is used.

In a formal setting (business), of course when dealing with another person its always good to address a person initially by title (Mr. Ms. etc.) . Then if the person responds like say 'Just call me Frank' then you can continue conversation by addressing that person by first name. That etiquette is good for a formal setting.

I have to stop addressing cute girls as 'kittens' lol... technically not appropriate unless you are dating the girl say and she is fine with pet names... nevermind....

I was never fond of that "son" shit.... Not due to the literal meaning of the word (as if to say, you're my daddy & I'm your son, on some inferior/superior tip) - But "son" bothers me, because for one, it has a tinge of sounding ignorant.... And also, by the person who's like "what up, son", it's like, if you aint feelin the same way he feelin, a spat can break out from it... Seen it happen too many times, where if the person being "greeted" is in a f***ed up mood, the next thing said is something along the lines of a "what the f*** is up with you"....

This may be immaterial to you, but "son" to me is usually said by someone more aggressive (in that instance when it's said anyway) than when "bro" or "brother" is said.... The latter is usually said when that person is calm(er) themselves.....

Same here.... I wasn't called son very often though thank God, and I'm glad that it has sort of died out... I don't mind "boss" or "bro", as those in my mind are far less personal if you will.  It's "friendly" but respectful, and maintains a certain understanding that doesn't encroach too much.  I'm not the type that latches on to people very easy, and I like keeping them at a distance until we get to know each other, and even then, there's a certain line that should not be crossed. I'm rather skeptical of people, and for me, I feel as if "brother", "son" and the like basically just invade that whole feeling of we're strangers, and allows whatever person that is saying it to invade that "buffer" that in my mind should not be passed.  Now, I do have friends that I consider to be like brothers, and we have a certain level of respect for each other and would do anything to help each other out, but we've known each other for YEARS, but for some random stranger to go addressing me like that... I just feel completely violated...  I think the both of us understand that words aren't just words.  They have meaning behind them and should be selected carefully.  In short, I think my issue with the whole thing is that some random stranger has just decided that "we're cool" and is basically telling me rather than giving me the chance to make that decision.  It goes back to when your parents told you not to talk to strangers...  Well I still very much believe in that.  If I don't know you, you keep your distance, and that's that and if and when I feel as if we're cool, then maybe you can address me in a certain way, but until then, back off and give me my personal space.

Of late I've been having quite a B/O's (white, latino and black alike) take the liberty of calling me "brother", which I find rather weird and disrespectful, especially as I become older in age as a young adult.  I don't like anyone calling me "brother" (aside from family of course if I had siblings) and that wouldn't apply there, as I don't have any siblings.  I'm just amazed at the liberties that some people take when they don't even know you.  In my mind, it's a form of disrespect, as I don't greet people out of their name when I don't know them unless I know that they're fine with being greeted in a particular way.  I was raised that you should always address people that you don't know as "sir", "miss", "mam" etc. to show respect, but it seems as if that is lacking these days. 

The other one that I've heard used is "G", which I have no idea what in the hell that means....  <_<

What bullshit. "Form of disrespect." You're a nonwhite man in New York City. The hell else are you gonna be called? Stop trying to make posts like some rich old white guy...somebody like that wouldn't even take the bus. 

BLAH BLAH BLAH VG... I've called drivers and been called by them "bro" even on the "elite express bus"...hell on the 139 in Jersey! I'm sorry that's not "elite" enough for the "elite bus" to you... I mean really. Maybe it is a thing with this generation, but dammit get used to it. Is there really nothing else to complain about today?

Damn I don't even make posts like this and especially not in response to this guy, but this sh*t really got me tight. Come on...BRO

What bullshit. "Form of disrespect." You're a nonwhite man in New York City. The hell else are you gonna be called? Stop trying to make posts like some rich old white guy...somebody like that wouldn't even take the bus. 

Word....

Are you kidding me?  You don't know me or anything about me for that matter.  I don't take liberties to address anyone that I don't know in an informal manner, period, and that's how I was raised, which is give respect and receive it.  That's precisely the problem.  People make assumptions about you when they don't know you. I can tell you right know, if I saw you on the street, you as a white man, green man or whatever you are, we are not brothers, period.  Leave all of that nonsense out.     

BLAH BLAH BLAH VG... I've called drivers and been called by them "bro" even on the "elite express bus"...hell on the 139 in Jersey! I'm sorry that's not "elite" enough for the "elite bus" to you... I mean really. Maybe it is a thing with this generation, but dammit get used to it. Is there really nothing else to complain about today?

Damn I don't even make posts like this and especially not in response to this guy, but this sh*t really got me tight. Come on...BRO

Well you can remain "tight".... You're fine with informalities... Good for you... Some aren't.  Respect that and move on.

Dayam dodging bullets in this thread. Whats the big deal, seriously with you guys? I seriously on this one think some are just taking this way too seriously. My goodness....

If in a formal setting, the astute person addresses the person my title and last name. Say you call me 'Mr. Quan-Ching' when starting a conversation... If I say 'Hey just call me Mark' then just address me by first name. That's exactly what I do in a formal setting.

With friends in my circle in an informal setting yeah they call me'bro', or 'dawg' or 'son', or 'youth', whatever, I don't care, its fine. 

Jeezus...

Dayam dodging bullets in this thread. Whats the big deal, seriously with you guys? I seriously on this one think some are just taking this way too seriously. My goodness....

If in a formal setting, the astute person addresses the person my title and last name. Say you call me 'Mr. Quan-Ching' when starting a conversation... If I say 'Hey just call me Mark' then just address me by first name. That's exactly what I do in a formal setting.

With friends in my circle in an informal setting yeah they call me'bro', or 'dawg' or 'son', or 'youth', whatever, I don't care, its fine. 

Jeezus...

The point is pretty simple.  Some people are more informal than others as you've illustrated above.  The fact that MVH had to bring up the fact that I'm not an old guy is irrelevant.  That has nothing to do with it, nor should it, as clearly there are others in here that agree with my point and they are certainly not old.  It comes down to how you're raised, and what you are taught as appropriate behavior, and at the end of the day, whatever way someone wants to be addressed should be respected. Period.  I am sure that you have terms that you don't find appropriate for whatever reason, and if someone approached you in a manner that you felt was inappropriate, you would address it.  Same here.  The only difference is what is fine for you and others isn't fine for everyone else.  Now when I was a teenager, the thought of someone calling me "Sir" made me cringe, but I'm older now and mature, so yes, I expect to be addressed in a certain way.  I think those who are older and want to still feel "young and hip" are the ones that probably like the idea of being very informal.  I am informal too, but to a lesser extent.

Same here.... I wasn't called son very often though thank God, and I'm glad that it has sort of died out... I don't mind "boss" or "bro", as those in my mind are far less personal if you will.  It's "friendly" but respectful, and maintains a certain understanding that doesn't encroach too much.  I'm not the type that latches on to people very easy, and I like keeping them at a distance until we get to know each other, and even then, there's a certain line that should not be crossed. I'm rather skeptical of people, and for me, I feel as if "brother", "son" and the like basically just invade that whole feeling of we're strangers, and allows whatever person that is saying it to invade that "buffer" that in my mind should not be passed.  Now, I do have friends that I consider to be like brothers, and we have a certain level of respect for each other and would do anything to help each other out, but we've known each other for YEARS, but for some random stranger to go addressing me like that... I just feel completely violated...  I think the both of us understand that words aren't just words.  They have meaning behind them and should be selected carefully.  In short, I think my issue with the whole thing is that some random stranger has just decided that "we're cool" and is basically telling me rather than giving me the chance to make that decision.  It goes back to when your parents told you not to talk to strangers...  Well I still very much believe in that.  If I don't know you, you keep your distance, and that's that and if and when I feel as if we're cool, then maybe you can address me in a certain way, but until then, back off and give me my personal space.

So you wouldn't mind Bro, but you despise brother...

LMFAO, at this point, I'm here for the comments.

The point is pretty simple.  Some people are more informal than others as you've illustrated above.  The fact that MVH had to bring up the fact that I'm not an old guy is irrelevant.  That has nothing to do with it, nor should it, as clearly there are others in here that agree with my point and they are certainly not old.  It comes down to how you're raised, and what you are taught as appropriate behavior, and at the end of the day, whatever way someone wants to be addressed should be respected. Period.  I am sure that you have terms that you don't find appropriate for whatever reason, and if someone approached you in a manner that you felt was inappropriate, you would address it.  Same here.  The only difference is what is fine for you and others isn't fine for everyone else.  Now when I was a teenager, the thought of someone calling me "Sir" made me cringe, but I'm older now and I'm a grown man, so yes, I expect to addressed in a certain way.

Well the only way I will draw the line on terms is if they call by racist terms or other profane nouns. I will not react too well to that, but thats pretty much with all of us. Yeah it happened to me many times.

I'm not trying to change either your views, Orions or MVH or others, but I guess to answer directly to the original question in the OP the key is context and tone of voice. We know that say unlike Chinese where we use different tones when we speak because its part of the unique grammar with such a language, in English and I'm sure in romanticized languages such as Italian (correct me if I'm wrong not that great with Italian or Spanish or French at all) tone of voice denotes context and either a positive or negative connotation in the verb or noun. 

Same with the internet, theres a difference between using proper use of capital letters and all caps. For the record we know theres a difference between saying for example: Look listen and just follow me on the discussion and "LOOK LISTEN AND JUST FOLLOW ME ON THE DISCUSSION!' (again as a example of context.

So thats what I mean.

Yeah this is actually pretty entertaining, the only reason why I am throwing myself in the discussion lol.

What bullshit.

Welcome to the internet. =D

So you wouldn't mind Bro, but you despise brother...

Actually I don't mind either depending on how well I know the person. As I have said before, I have a few very good friends, and we are like brothers and treat each other as such. The issue isn't so much about the names, but rather whether or not I know you in such a manner for you to address me that way. If I don't know you like that, then I don't want you taking the liberty to try to decide for me how you're going to address me. In my mind if you're a stranger, then keep it formal because that's exactly what I do, regardless of someone's age, background or any of that other nonsense. Period. As a matter of fact, a good friend of mine calls me "dawg", but we've know each other since high school. Would I want some stranger calling me that? Hell no!

It seems as if the younger generation becomes less and less formal. When I was a teenager, it was much more formal in terms of how people addressed me and I remember people calling me "Sir" and thinking I'm not that old... I was big for my age, so I could pass as an older guy. Now I'm older and yeah I would prefer sir for people that don't know me or something formal. With my friends, it's a whole different ballgame. We shoot the sh*t so to speak and we're VERY INFORMAL.

aaa2fb692bd0bf50ac4595cd7f59941ff8c5ff91

Actually I don't mind either depending on how well I know the person. As I have said before, I have a few very good friends, and we are like brothers and treat each other as such. The issue isn't so much about the names, but rather whether or not I know you in such a manner for you to address me that way. If I don't know you like that, then I don't want you taking the liberty to try to decide for me how you're going to address me. In my mind if you're a stranger, then keep it formal because that's exactly what I do, regardless of someone's age, background or any of that other nonsense. Period. As a matter of fact, a good friend of mine calls me "dawg", but we've know each other since high school. Would I want some stranger calling me that? Hell no!

It seems as if the younger generation becomes less and less formal. When I was a teenager, it was much more formal in terms of how people addressed me and I remember people calling me "Sir" and thinking I'm not that old... Now I'm older and yeah I would prefer sir for people that don't know me or something formal. With my friends, it's a whole different ballgame. We shoot the sh*t so to speak and we're VERY INFORMAL.

Mr. Garibaldi sir, did you even read what I just said? What I am trying to say that yes as I explained >>(Reference: post # 46, 'Bus drivers and how they address passengers' , New York City Transit Forums), its the context in which the average new Yorker uses terms. Thats what I mean. Its no big deal. Yes perhaps I am younger than you, ok. But I would imagine that as I get older I would still feel the same way. I dont necessarily take things to heart or get unnecessarily offended by things. Its not that serious. Sir.

=D

Mr. Garibaldi sir, did you even read what I just said? What I am trying to say that yes as I explained >>(Reference: post # 46, 'Bus drivers and how they address passengers' , New York City Transit Forums), its the context in which the average new Yorker uses terms. Thats what I mean. Its no big deal. Yes perhaps I am younger than you, ok. But I would imagine that as I get older I would still feel the same way. I dont necessarily take things to heart or get unnecessarily offended by things. Its not that serious. Sir.

=D

Depends on the person... As I said, if you don't know me, then you don't take those liberties. Period.

Depends on the person... As I said, if you don't know me, then you don't take those liberties. Period.

The meme was directed at Orion IIV 4 Life, just pulling his leg.

Anyway yes, but again, what I am trying to say is that its the context in which titles slang, formal or not is used. Its ok, man...

Ok let me try another way of explaining it. There are three elements in the English language that denotes communication: Word, meaning and tone of voice. That would deliver the context of how words are used. (Along with non verbal cues which some say makes up the actual larger percentage of communication according to some)

So if say on the internet I say 'Mr. Garibaldi', I am speaking in a non aggressive insulting way. But if as another example, if I say 'MRRRRR. GARIBALDIII!!' then that denotes that I am addressing you in a way to deliberately become disrespectful and agressive. Notice I used a formal term (Mr.) but in two forms of context. (Just using this as an analogy.)

The same goes with addressing people by title verbally. Theres a big difference. 

So if someone if you happen to be in a well established neighborhood with second and third generation New Yorkers and they say 'hey mister...' they are not trying to offend you. But if someone out of the blue says 'HEY MISTER ....' then that's a different story. 

In a formal setting thats a different story. We both understand and perform proper ettiquette accordingly and expect so in return, but thats in a business setting. True.

But going back to what was originally discussed we should give some flexibility as to how B/Os adress people, its not that serious. It depends on the context in which they are addressing a passenger. The majority of B/Os are not that mean.

Archived