New Station at Elmhurst

Union Tpke

interesting, im kind of surprised that they want to start adding new stations, while this far into the game

There's been a lot of local demand, the costs aren't prohibitive, and it could probably open before ESA given the 2023 completion date.

I thought the Elmhurst stop was supposed to be on the main line at Woodhaven.

IIRC, the stop is where the PW line goes over Queens Blvd.

Elmhurst would just be money wasted nobody there is going to pay LIRR fares to get to Manhattan. Unless reverse peak service is boosted that station would be as useless as Kew gardens. Republic station can't come soon enough then they can do away with pinelawn which is useless.

The (7) and QBL are so crowded that people will pay those fares; after all, they pay Chinatown van fares, which are now significantly higher than subway rides and also don't give you a free transfer.

Elmhurst would just be money wasted nobody there is going to pay LIRR fares to get to Manhattan. Unless reverse peak service is boosted that station would be as useless as Kew gardens. Republic station can't come soon enough then they can do away with pinelawn which is useless.

I'd pay the LIRR fare. Would save a lot of time getting home as I can just hop on the Q58 2 blocks away instead of having to take it all the way from Flushing.

And don't be coming up with some BS like "take the Q53 from Woodside" or "take the Q58 from Flushing" I got places to go and sometimes the 7 or the QBL can be a long wait and the Q23 don't run overnight and the Q72 has long headways over night and the bus terminals can be quite deserted. How I know? I'm resident of Corona, Queens so I know Elmhurst Station would benefit a lot of Queens residents in the Elmhurst/Jackson Heights/Corona Area

Oh let's not forget the occasions when there's major signal trouble or line suspensions on the 7 that they cross-honor fares on the Port Washington Branch. It can get packed ridiculously and most of them hop off at Woodside and Flushing Main Street.

If you remember Hurricane Sandy, for the first day or two when limited subway service was restored, the Port Washington Branch was ridiculously packed when the entire 7 line was suspended (and even when limited service between 74 st - Flushing was restored)

The (7) and QBL are so crowded that people will pay those fares; after all, they pay Chinatown van fares, which are now significantly higher than subway rides and also don't give you a free transfer.

Significantly higher? They're historically 25 cents more than the train and still are. They charge extra on Chinese holidays though.

I'd pay the LIRR fare. Would save a lot of time getting home as I can just hop on the Q58 2 blocks away instead of having to take it all the way from Flushing.

And don't be coming up with some BS like "take the Q53 from Woodside" or "take the Q58 from Flushing" I got places to go and sometimes the 7 or the QBL can be a long wait and the Q23 don't run overnight and the Q72 has long headways over night and the bus terminals can be quite deserted. How I know? I'm resident of Corona, Queens so I know Elmhurst Station would benefit a lot of Queens residents in the Elmhurst/Jackson Heights/Corona Area

Oh let's not forget the occasions when there's major signal trouble or line suspensions on the 7 that they cross-honor fares on the Port Washington Branch. It can get packed ridiculously and most of them hop off at Woodside and Flushing Main Street.

If you remember Hurricane Sandy, for the first day or two when limited subway service was restored, the Port Washington Branch was ridiculously packed when the entire 7 line was suspended (and even when limited service between 74 st - Flushing was restored)

so you will wait 30 minutes for a train instead of 5 minutes on the subway? The signal problems being fixed is a higher priority. The wait for the (7) is rarely longer than the LIRR. Question you think port Washington line would benefit from upgraded offpeak service to 15 minutes?

There are good comments both in favor and against. What exactly is your point?

LIRR ridership in Queens would be improved if the stations themselves were improved (longer than four cars in the case of Kew Gardens and FH, easier to find in the case of Flushing), and a newly built station straddling Queens Blvd would have none of these problems, assuming the LIRR wasn't extremely short-sighted.

so you will wait 30 minutes for a train instead of 5 minutes on the subway? The signal problems being fixed is a higher priority. The wait for the (7) is rarely longer than the LIRR. Question you think port Washington line would benefit from upgraded offpeak service to 15 minutes?

With the weekday service changes when one side bypasses my home stop, sometimes I'm better off taking the LIRR. I don't blame them for required maintenance but it can be quite a hassle.

There are good comments both in favor and against. What exactly is your point?

LIRR ridership in Queens would be improved if the stations themselves were improved (longer than four cars in the case of Kew Gardens and FH, easier to find in the case of Flushing), and a newly built station straddling Queens Blvd would have none of these problems, assuming the LIRR wasn't extremely short-sighted.

Forest hills is a direct one seat connection from the LIRR to the QBL locals without having to take the (E) the Kew gardens LiRR however is redundant outside rush hour. I do agree that the flushing station can use some improvements though.

Does this have something to do with the neighborhood being redeveloped?

Its probably one of the main issues but the biggest I think is the public demand. How the area looks now and what look then when it was opened is like night and day. The build up of apartments and retail will bring customers.

FYI we had a Republic station on the Ronkonkoma Branch years ago, as well as a Grumman stop. Neighborhoods change over the years so maybe RT 110 will get it's station back. As far as Pinelawn is concerned I can assure you that many workers and visitors use the station at Pinelawn because of its location and the surrounding cemeteries and memorial parks. Just because you've never used the station does not mean it's useless to others. Most people I've run across at least show a modicum of respect for the departed. Carry on.

• 2 weeks later...

Make a connection to this and the new station in Astoria and you've got yourself a deal!!

Perhaps, a new bus shuttle connecting to the Q70 from the Elmhurst station for folks going to LaGuardia should be in the works as well. 

Q10A/B for JFK?

Whaaat?? I don't if serious or not. Where do you get these ideas from? Port Wash branch is no way near Astoria..

Whaaat?? I don't if serious or not. Where do you get these ideas from? Port Wash branch is no way near Astoria..

We'll see...

It's important to think out of the box. It's no wonder we have such horrible problems in the world. Just look at the roads.

The roads are in horrible shape. Traffic is terrible. There's so much more we could do to spend money more efficiently. 

Instead, other folks choose to decide what's right and wrong just because it's convenient for them.

We'll see...

It's important to think out of the box. It's no wonder we have such horrible problems in the world. Just look at the roads.

The roads are in horrible shape. Traffic is terrible. There's so much more we could do to spend money more efficiently. 

Instead, other folks choose to decide what's right and wrong just because it's convenient for them.

You don't seem to understand what "think out of the box" means...

Archived