Riverdale politicians renew calls on MTA improved local bus service

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I've always said that they could just use more artics.  That would at least handle the crowds.  You could have one artic during periods when the traffic is the worst come in and pick at 231st this way there wouldn't be a back up of buses.  That could be every 20 minutes or as needed.  They already have three artics now, so you wouldn't need too many more to deal with the overcrowding.

As for your other comment about the Bronx, please. I'm in the South Bronx at least once a week tutoring and it's a hell hole down there. I see the ghetto with my own two eyes. I take the BxM4 in by 161st or Metro-North from Riverdale or the city to do my consulting sessions and get the hell out and go back to Riverdale.  I've seen quite a bit of the Bronx... Parts of Pelham Parkway, Pelham Gardens (especially Indian Village), Morris Park, Woodlawn... Very nice areas... However, the ghettos... Mercy... I've been going down to the South Bronx now for almost two years and every time I go down there there is always something that amazes me.  Either the filth everywhere, the lack of people working or just people's sheer disregard for and lack of respect for others.  And Fordham (the shopping area) and the Hub are equally disgusting.  Looks like something out of a time warp.  Filthy also.

Never say never. The Crown Heights race riots were just over 30 years ago, and now the area is gentrified complete with a Starbucks.

Never say never. The Crown Heights race riots were just over 30 years ago, and now the area is gentrified complete with a Starbucks.

LOL! Please.  Crown Heights is not completely gentrified.  Parts of Crown Heights, are but the deeper you go there are still plenty of ghetto parts.

Where do more spare artics come from?

It's better than when it was gutted by Robert Moses and then burned down. Improvement and economic investment take time but these communities will be on the path to gentrification soon enough.

Kingsbridge from my understanding isn't short on artics, but rather 40 footers.

okay, may I ask when and why was the Bx1 cut back from 246th Street, and also when was the Bx10 created? I also saw that it used to run via Heath Ave/Sedgwick Ave between 231st Street and Van Cortlandt. When did that change?

The Bx1 cut and Bx10 reroute happened in the late 1990's. As for the Bx10 creation, it started in the 1980's, when many routes were either renamed or merged.

The Bx1 cut and Bx10 reroute happened in the late 1990's. As for the Bx10 creation, it started in the 1980's, when many routes were either renamed or merged.

wow I dont ever remember seeing the Bx1 going up to 246th Street, just on old maps. And I dont remember the Bx10 going via Heath Avenue either.

I remember the Bx1 going to 246th via Riverdale Ave (The Wall) Some Bx2's went as far as 231th Street as well... As far as the Bx10 reroute to Bailey Ave did that happen before 2000? or after? feel like that it happened like 2001-04 I could be wrong.

I remember the Bx1 going to 246th via Riverdale Ave (The Wall) Some Bx2's went as far as 231th Street as well... As far as the Bx10 reroute to Bailey Ave did that happen before 2000? or after? feel like that it happened like 2001-04 I could be wrong.

I remember seeing a 1999 Bronx bus map showing the Bx10 reroute.

I remember seeing a 1999 Bronx bus map showing the Bx10 reroute.

Ill take your word for it. I moved from Riverdale to California in the summer of 98 might have happened right after. Used to take the 10 to Fort Independence had a friend in the area. 93-97.

This morning was something... As I was walking to the Henry Hudson Parkway West for the BxM1 there were THREE Bx10's heading Northbound back to back to back to 263rd, and all of them let out passengers.  I get the issues with the Bx7 along Broadway, but what backups do the Bx10 suffer from?  It isn't within Riverdale and I doubt that there's tons of traffic along 231st either, so it has to be east of Broadway.  

This morning was something... As I was walking to the Henry Hudson Parkway West for the BxM1 there were THREE Bx10's heading Northbound back to back to back to 263rd, and all of them let out passengers.  I get the issues with the Bx7 along Broadway, but what backups do the Bx10 suffer from?  It isn't within Riverdale and I doubt that there's tons of traffic along 231st either, so it has to be east of Broadway.  

Good question. Haven't taken the full 10 route in years.. besides 231th street. I remember Bedford Park having crowds. and Norwood somewhat as well. The GunHill area Montefiore.  Other then a lot of turns along the route (shrugs)

Short answer: About 90% of the route

Long(er) answer: The Bx10 is a route that crawls from just about end to end... The bus takes forever to get from Norwood (D) to Bedford Park (4), from Bedford Park (4) to 231st (1), and from 231st (1) to 263rd.... The Jerome portion slows it down (I don't know of any bus route in NYC that hauls ass under any el) - and worse, it seldom picks up much of anyone along it, the meanderous routing through Kingsbridge Hgts. slows it down, and the loads waiting for Bx7's or Bx10's at 231st (1) slows it down....

If there are 2 (riverdale bound) Bx7's at that stop, you will be seeing that Bx10 waiting across B'way (across 231st from that pizza store on 231st/B'way) for one of those Bx7's to move... And then of course you have the routing it takes to get to Spuyten Duyvil, slow crawling its way along HHP, to get to riverdale av (which, all BS aside, I'd say is the quickest part of the route; along riverdale av b/w 254th & 263rd....)

All of that is a recipe for disaster for bunching... and it's not much that can be done about it, unfortunately.....

Long(er) answer: The Bx10 is a route that crawls from just about end to end... The bus takes forever to get from Norwood (D) to Bedford Park (4), from Bedford Park (4) to 231st (1), and from 231st (1) to 263rd.... The Jerome portion slows it down (I don't know of any bus route in NYC that hauls ass under any el) - and worse, it seldom picks up much of anyone along it, the meanderous routing through Kingsbridge Hgts. slows it down, and the loads waiting for Bx7's or Bx10's at 231st (1) slows it down....

If there are 2 (riverdale bound) Bx7's at that stop, you will be seeing that Bx10 waiting across B'way (across 231st from that pizza store on 231st/B'way) for one of those Bx7's to move... And then of course you have the routing it takes to get to Spuyten Duyvil, slow crawling its way along HHP, to get to riverdale av (which, all BS aside, I'd say is the quickest part of the route; along riverdale av b/w 254th & 263rd....)

All of that is a recipe for disaster for bunching... and it's not much that can be done about it, unfortunately.....

I have used it once or twice very late at night from 231st up to Henry Hudson Parkway and the ride was quite fast (less than 10 minutes).  However during the day I imagine that the elderly and the one thousand stops that the route has slows it down from 231st up to the parkway.  I would argue that it makes too many stops, but then again I see people at all of the stops along the way and the hilly terrain makes just about all of them necessary so you can't pull any of them.  Too many nursing homes (there's about 4 of them within a 10 minute walk from my apartment).

In the case of the Bx10, might a change in routing help, especially on weekends? Keeping in mind that the Bx28 from Norwood serves Lehman College and the Bronx High School of Science, could a straightening of the Bx10 route to bypass the Bedford Park area (with (4) customers transferring at Mosholu Parkway instead) help? I would change the eastern portion of the route to run as follows:

Start at Gun Hill Road (2), west on Gun Hill, south on Bainbridge, follow the Bx28 route to Paul and 205, then turn west onto Goulden to serve Bronx Science and to facilitate Bx22 and Bx26 transfers, then the regular. The segment under the subway would be eliminated.

In the case of the Bx10, might a change in routing help, especially on weekends? Keeping in mind that the Bx28 from Norwood serves Lehman College and the Bronx High School of Science, could a straightening of the Bx10 route to bypass the Bedford Park area (with (4) customers transferring at Mosholu Parkway instead) help? 

I'm pretty sure some Bx10 riders need Lehman College.

I have used it once or twice very late at night from 231st up to Henry Hudson Parkway and the ride was quite fast (less than 10 minutes).

What bus isn't fast late nights? Less people waiting means skipping more stops, so it's inevitable it'll be faster.

This morning was something... As I was walking to the Henry Hudson Parkway West for the BxM1 there were THREE Bx10's heading Northbound back to back to back to 263rd, and all of them let out passengers.

Same happened at Broadway-Inwood. Three straight SBS-Bx12's.

In the case of the Bx10, might a change in routing help, especially on weekends? Keeping in mind that the Bx28 from Norwood serves Lehman College and the Bronx High School of Science, could a straightening of the Bx10 route to bypass the Bedford Park area (with (4) customers transferring at Mosholu Parkway instead) help? I would change the eastern portion of the route to run as follows:

Start at Gun Hill Road (2), west on Gun Hill, south on Bainbridge, follow the Bx28 route to Paul and 205, then turn west onto Goulden to serve Bronx Science and to facilitate Bx22 and Bx26 transfers, then the regular. The segment under the subway would be eliminated.

Yeah, but you don't need the Bx10, Bx28/38, and the Bx30 running b/w Gun Hill rd (2) to Norwood.... Bx10 riders don't want the WPR line, so it would be an extension made for no good reason..... That, and that portion of Gun Hill b/w WPR & Bainbridge, traffic travels slowly along that portion.... The fact of the matter is, Bx10 riders really only utilize the route past BPB/Lehman College for Montefiore (not even all that much for 205th (D) even).... The problem is that there's nowhere to end a bus route around the Hospital...

B15 ahem yup. Q3 is always crap too.

Wrong and irrelevant.

I can vouch for this....took the Bx10 just for the hell of it one evening(was told to leave work early) and just hopped on it to get to the (1) train....boy that was torture. 

As for that 2nd one, don't even get me started...while I'm glad they added artics to the Bx7 at times during the rush hour, it's been a REAL pain. It's been making traffic conditions much worse due to the fact that Bx10s have to sit until the stop is cleared. The routing in that particular area(231/Bway) needs to get changed up. Way too much things going on.

Wrong and irrelevant.

I can vouch for this....took the Bx10 just for the hell of it one evening(was told to leave work early) and just hopped on it to get to the (1) train....boy that was torture. 

As for that 2nd one, don't even get me started...while I'm glad they added artics to the Bx7 at times during the rush hour, it's been a REAL pain. It's been making traffic conditions much worse due to the fact that Bx10s have to sit until the stop is cleared. The routing in that particular area(231/Bway) needs to get changed up. Way too much things going on.

What would you suggest?  If anything I would say they need to expand that bus stop and have taxis/cabs move elsewhere to reduce the backup of traffic along Broadway.

Reroute the Bx7/Bx20s from Manhattan? Right turn on 225th or 230th, left on Bailey, left on 231st?

It's the only way I see it changing while still servicing the (1) train stop at 231st, and even then people will complain and it won't even be implemented.

And if anyone thinks about straight shotting the Bx7/Bx20 up 230th directly to Riverdale, that aint happening since 231st (1) has ADA access and Riverdale residents would throw a huge fit.

What would you suggest?  If anything I would say they need to expand that bus stop and have taxis/cabs move elsewhere to reduce the backup of traffic along Broadway.

I don't even know....I mean, those cabs definitely need to get out of that area for sure. Expanding the bus stop would be great, but businesses and people alike will complain.

It's always a very complicated scenario when it comes to Riverdale residents.

I don't even know....I mean, those cabs definitely need to get out of that area for sure. Expanding the bus stop would be great, but businesses and people alike will complain.

It's always a very complicated scenario when it comes to Riverdale residents.

That's not Riverdale.  231st is Kingsbridge so I don't think there would be such an uproar.  The only issue would be lost parking, but I was under the impression that the whole stop from where the bus shelter is all the way to the corner was for buses? Maybe they should cut out some more sidewalk to allow for say two buses to be pulled in and a third one could stop there while still allowing traffic to move.

The community is very vocal because we're very involved.  College educated types here... Doctors, professors/teachers/educators, lawyers, etc. here, so we speak out.  I'm actually very proud to be part of a community like this.  We didn't have this on Staten Island. It ensures that the neighborhood remains nice, and since there are so many co-op, condo and homeowners here (one of the highest owner percentages in NYC), that makes people even more involved.

That's not Riverdale.  231st is Kingsbridge so I don't think there would be such an uproar.  The only issue would be lost parking, but I was under the impression that the whole stop from where the bus shelter is all the way to the corner was for buses? Maybe they should cut out some more sidewalk to allow for say two buses to be pulled in and a third one could stop there while still allowing traffic to move.

You don't know much about your (local bus)residents it seems. There have been plenty of proposed changes to that area over the course of 7 years and they(Riverdale residents) were the ones that always bitched about it including slight reroutes that would improve overall traffic flow. They've petitioned for more buses, and ironically, it's these extra buses that's causing even more delays and problems.

As for the other part. I thought so too, but I guess not. I always said that they needed to expand the sidewalk space for the buses.

Archived