MTA Tests Bike Rack on s53 Bus Route (SI Advance)

161 New York

MTA tests bike rack on Staten Island bus

A bike rack was tested for one day on a lone Staten Island bus last week as part of a city pilot program targeting routes over crossings like the Verrazano Bridge. 

The rack was fixed to the front of an S53 bus where customers could load and unload their own bikes.

Concern over the bus racks has been focused on the time it would take for riders to stow and remove their bikes, which would affect commutes.

Right now only folding bicycles are permitted aboard local and limited city buses, and even those aren't allowed on express lines.

Source: Staten Island Advance [link to www.silive.com

I do like the idea, particularly on the s53. As we know, there is no pedestrian or bicycle route over the Verrazano Bridge. This would be good for folks like me who enjoy bicycle riding, but have no car. I'd love to bicycle from Staten Island via Bay Ridge to the Rockaways (and beyond) when the weather gets nice.

Designating certain bus stops to accept bicycle customers, particularly at terminals, major intersections and the SIR at Grasmere should have a negligible effect on dwell times. I remember using a bus bicycle rack somewhere (either on NJT or somewhere out west) and loading and unloading was really quick.

Are there any other routes in the city that should be considered for this program?

No folding bikes allowed on the express bus huh?  Well I guess this guy that gets on the BxM4 on the weekends needs to be told that because he gets on with this damn all of the time hogging up numerous seats.   <_<

Why are they trying this out on the S53 for when it's already slow and delay prone?  Staten Island out of all of the boroughs is the most car centric, and for years I can remember people complaining when they started implementing bike lanes, etc.

It's simple really. The S53 crosses the Bridge and is used by many. It will be useful for those who ride their bikes to South Brooklyn.

I question how "useful" it will be for so few when it could inconvenience so many.  If they already have a bike, they should use the damn thing to cross the bridge.  This set up with the bike thing works in other cities, but I think it's a terrible idea to implement it here in the city. I used to live close to the S53 and back then it was delayed because it made every stop known to man kind.  Having this bike set up will just make things worse. The busiest local bus line on SI is the S53, and yet it doesn't have it's own limited stop service.

I question how "useful" it will be for so few when it could inconvenience so many.  If they already have a bike, they should use the damn thing to cross the bridge.  This set up with the bike thing works in other cities, but I think it's a terrible idea to implement it here in the city. I used to live close to the S53 and back then it was delayed because it made every stop known to man kind.  Having this bike set up will just make things worse. The busiest local bus line on SI is the S53, and yet it doesn't have it's own limited stop service.

Are you that dense, stupid or clearly misinformed? You can't ride a bike over the bridge.....the five boro bike tour doesn't happen every day you know.

Are you that dense, stupid or clearly misinformed? You can't ride a bike over the bridge.....the five boro bike tour doesn't happen every day you know.

I said that in response to LTA's response about them previously riding their bikes to South Brooklyn. The point is that however they were getting there before what changed that they suddenly need the S53 when they already have a bike to get to and from where they're going?  

The MTA is rather late with this..... This city's been making a push to have its patrons utilize bikes to get around....

I don't have a problem with it being used on the S53...

Are there any other routes in the city that should be considered for this program?

One that jumps out at me w/o hesitation is the Q44.....

I said that in response to LTA's response about them previously riding their bikes to South Brooklyn. The point is that however they were getting there before what changed that they suddenly need the S53 when they already have a bike to get to and from where they're going?  

LTA probably meant to say "It will be useful for those who [would like to] ride their bikes to South Brooklyn." 

As for the other comments:

Having done the Five Borough Bike Tour on several occasions, that climb is not easy. I had to go as fast I could from 92nd Street down the on-ramp and use that momentum to go non-stop (however slowly) over the deck's highest point and then down the toll plaza. The VNB cannot be compared to the GWB.

Also, keep in mind that the bicycle rack (as seen on other transit agencies) can only hold up to two bicycles and the bicycles themselves can be loaded and unloaded pretty quickly. This is not going to affect dwell times all that much.

You mean through Manhattan and the SI Ferry, and Downtown Brooklyn? Yeah that's not time consuming at all

The MTA is rather late with this..... This city's been making a push to have its patrons utilize bikes to get around....

I don't have a problem with it being used on the S53...

One that jumps out at me w/o hesitation is the Q44.....

I think the Q50 (When it was the QBx1) allowed passengers to board with bicycles during the Queens Surface days

I think the Q50 (When it was the QBx1) allowed passengers to board with bicycles during the Queens Surface days

Yup, it did. I remember that quite well back in the QSC days.

LTA probably meant to say "It will be useful for those who [would like to] ride their bikes to South Brooklyn." 

Having done the Five Borough Bike Tour on several occasions, that climb is not easy. I had to go as fast I could from 92nd Street down the on-ramp and use that momentum to go non-stop (however slowly) over the deck's highest point and then down the toll plaza. The VNB cannot be compared to the GWB.

Also, keep in mind that the bicycle rack (as seen on other transit agencies) can only hold up to two bicycles and the bicycles themselves can be loaded and unloaded pretty quickly. This is not going to affect dwell times all that much.

They're also pretty simple to use.

As for the dwell times, that's also true. I've been on buses in Seattle where routes always get cyclists wanting to use the bus and it usually cuts off at least a minute or two, it doesn't make a huge difference.

When I was in the Army, I volunteered for the NYC Marathon, Afterwards, I had to walk the ENTIRE length of the Verrazano Br. NEVER AGAIN, not even with a bike

It certainly be possible to have bike racks on MCI Commuter Coaches (see GO Transit)

No, I meant exactly what I said. By doing this, anyone wishing to ride their bikes to South Brooklyn will no longer need to take the journey via the Ferry and Brooklyn Bridge. This would literally cut bike trips in half for people.

When I'm on Staten Island I have a Staten Islanders' mentality, which is NO bikes... Car or express bus.

You mean through Manhattan and the SI Ferry, and Downtown Brooklyn? Yeah that's not time consuming at all

I personally didn't know how they got to South Brooklyn. When I think of South Brooklyn from Staten Island, I immediately think of the Verrazano, and I am usually asleep on the express bus when I cross it, so I wouldn't be paying attention about bikes or anything else crossing it.  In any event, it would just make more sense to allow access on the Verrazano for bikes and call it a day.  This in between BS is annoying.  You either take the bus or ride the bike.  Don't most of these bike riders ride the bike for exercise anyway?  I mean it seems foolish to ride a bike to get somewhere quickly outside of Manhattan and then jump on a bus when the bus would probably be faster.

No, I meant exactly what I said. By doing this, anyone wishing to ride their bikes to South Brooklyn will no longer need to take the journey via the Ferry and Brooklyn Bridge. This would literally cut bike trips in half for people.

Would've been nice if you clarified yourself earlier...  Details details...   <_<

When I was in the Army, I volunteered for the NYC Marathon, Afterwards, I had to walk the ENTIRE length of the Verrazano Br. NEVER AGAIN, not even with a bike

It certainly be possible to have bike racks on MCI Commuter Coaches (see GO Transit)

I don't think they have a place on express buses... There's a guy who gets on my BxM4 express bus with one of those folding bikes and he loves to make a damn scene and it takes forever for us to get going.  Maybe that's why I'm against them.  

When I'm on Staten Island I have a Staten Islanders' mentality, which is NO bikes... Car or express bus.

I personally didn't know how they got to South Brooklyn. When I think of South Brooklyn from Staten Island, I immediately think of the Verrazano, and I am usually asleep on the express bus when I cross it, so I wouldn't be paying attention about bikes or anything else crossing it.  In any event, it would just make more sense to allow access on the Verrazano for bikes and call it a day.  This in between BS is annoying.  You either take the bus or ride the bike.  Don't most of these bike riders ride the bike for exercise anyway?  I mean it seems foolish to ride a bike to get somewhere quickly outside of Manhattan and then jump on a bus when the bus would probably be faster.

Just because you have a "Staten Islanders' Mentality" (I'm not even gonna bother asking about that, but w/e..) doesn't mean that people don't want to cross to Staten Island. Completely different points; one does not influence the other. We've gotten the point that you're more superior than everyone on this board (by now).

As for you other statement, I don't know, maybe local service is so shitastic and walks are a little too much, that bicycle is the better option. But hey, you never know  :rolleyes: ..... 

Same with Sound Transit in Seattle. Their MCI routes are heavily used, although they don't see bikes often.

Do the express buses have luggage compartments (since they're the same coaches used by interstate carriers, minus the restroom)?

I don't think its enough size considering that it varies between the size and lengths of the bikes. Even so, those compartments are locked anyway.

I seen the compartments in use yesterday for NJ Transit, and they aren't so big.

Do the express buses have luggage compartments (since they're the same coaches used by interstate carriers, minus the restroom)?

Yes, but after 9/11 they don't use them. I remember seeing posts about people using the luggage compartments on MTA MCIs prior to the attack.

Just because you have a "Staten Islanders' Mentality" (I'm not even gonna bother asking about that, but w/e..) doesn't mean that people don't want to cross to Staten Island. Completely different points; one does not influence the other. We've gotten the point that you're more superior than everyone on this board (by now).

As for you other statement, I don't know, maybe local service is so shitastic and walks are a little too much, that bicycle is the better option. But hey, you never know  :rolleyes: ..... 

The point I was making was that Staten Islanders overall have a pro car and pro express bus attitude, though some are just pro car.  Bikes are certainly not on the top of the list, so I'm puzzled as to where this idea came from.  Additionally, there's a reason that some Staten Islanders like the high tolls and the fact that there's no subway.... It makes it less accessible, and for those who like isolation (myself included) that's a good thing.  :D

The point I was making was that Staten Islanders overall have a pro car and pro express bus attitude, though some are just pro car.  Bikes are certainly not on the top of the list, so I'm puzzled as to where this idea came from.  Additionally, there's a reason that some Staten Islanders like the high tolls and the fact that there's no subway.... It makes it less accessible, and for those who like isolation (myself included) that's a good thing.  :D

There are many things wrong with this, so I'll start from the top.

Just because the island is car-centric does not mean that everyone shares that mentality. For those who use mass transit or bikes, making trips ore convenient is still worth it.

In my 3 years on the island, I have seen MANY people commuting to Manhattan using their bikes. I've also seen people take the S53 with their bikes as well. Rare, yes, but it has happened. I'm sure some of those taking their bikes to Manhattan are only doing so because there is no direct SI-Brooklyn bikeway.

The high toll on the Bridges is only because it is paid in one direction. Divide it in half and it's actually what most others are paying. And then, when you live on the island, the toll is reduced with E-Z pass, so they aren't really paying so-called high tolls.

The only reason that people on the island are used to and have come to like having no subway is because one was never built. That is the ONLY reason otherwise this would not even be in the discussion and that elitist attitude present would probably not exist. (Run on sentences, I know). There are a lot of people who, again, would like to see better transit options and that's why the original plans for a Brooklyn-NJ freight tunnel failed in the 20s. Why build a tunnel for the foreigners of NJ when there is an entire borough lacking in proper rapid transit facilities.

It's like you and Robert Moses share a common flaw in your ways of thinking. You don't care about those who don't have, because the benefits of those who do matter more. And that is a huge problem. On the other hand, at least Moses foresaw exactly what's happening today, the city losing its middle class and becoming a city of the very rich and the very poor. Even if his ideals were flawed, he did try to solve the problem. Even if it was only temporary. But I digress...

There are many things wrong with this, so I'll start from the top.

Just because the island is car-centric does not mean that everyone shares that mentality. For those who use mass transit or bikes, making trips ore convenient is still worth it.

In my 3 years on the island, I have seen MANY people commuting to Manhattan using their bikes. I've also seen people take the S53 with their bikes as well. Rare, yes, but it has happened. I'm sure some of those taking their bikes to Manhattan are only doing so because there is no direct SI-Brooklyn bikeway.

The high toll on the Bridges is only because it is paid in one direction. Divide it in half and it's actually what most others are paying. And then, when you live on the island, the toll is reduced with E-Z pass, so they aren't really paying so-called high tolls.

The only reason that people on the island are used to and have come to like having no subway is because one was never built. That is the ONLY reason otherwise this would not even be in the discussion and that elitist attitude present would probably not exist. (Run on sentences, I know). There are a lot of people who, again, would like to see better transit options and that's why the original plans for a Brooklyn-NJ freight tunnel failed in the 20s. Why build a tunnel for the foreigners of NJ when there is an entire borough lacking in proper rapid transit facilities.

It's like you and Robert Moses share a common flaw in your ways of thinking. You don't care about those who don't have, because the benefits of those who do matter more. And that is a huge problem. On the other hand, at least Moses foresaw exactly what's happening today, the city losing its middle class and becoming a city of the very rich and the very poor. Even if his ideals were flawed, he did try to solve the problem. Even if it was only temporary. But I digress...

lol... Please... The city's "middle-class" (mainly the working class) has been leaving in droves for years now.  There is still a sizable upper middle class that is alive and thriving.  For those who can't afford it, there are cheaper places elsewhere.  That's just the way it works.  You are part of the new breed on Staten Island, and one of the reasons I fled the island years ago while I could get out and haven't looked back. Staten Island is far too crowded these days, and the quality of life continues to decrease there.  Longer commute times, higher crime (even though Staten Island's crime rate remains fairly low in comparison to the other boroughs, etc., etc.) You yell about better transportation, but what about the infrastructure? Staten Island was not built to deal with the influx of people and congestion that is invading the island, and that's why things will only get worse before it gets better.  I'm aware of the fact that the toll is high due to payment only being required one way, but it still deters travel from outsiders onto the island.  

You may think that making Staten Island more accessible is a good thing, but short term it isn't.

Idk about you, but I love riding my bike around Staten Island. Sucks that I have to go through Manhattan and the SI Ferry, but I don't have a choice.

I may not agree with the bike racks on buses (I have my reasons), but if it's the way to go, then so be it. I always thought they could've just used shuttle vans to get bikes across the bridge, like they did with the Cross Bay & Bayonne bridge reconstructions

Archived