Video shows subway rider allegedly breaking into moving train’s crew cab

LTA1992

To me, snitching is when you tell on your buddies you did dirt with because you got caught, and don't want to face the consequences. Nowadays, it has evolved and gotten all out of whack. Now it's: don't report on something wrong that you had nothing to do with. This new definition is keeping criminals on the street; a sad hood mentality.

I know what you mean; back in December a guy was playing a musical instrument on a train I was on, and then went around asking for money. I went to complain to the Guard (Toronto's equivalent to the C/R), and a supervisor came on the train two stations later to eject him from the system. When I got home and told my parents what happened, they scolded me and called me "heartless" for complaining about a man "who was just trying to make a little money". Sad how things are nowadays.

Put it this way, how would you like people to act on your property? I work at a Staples, and have had to ask a group of kids to leave several times because they like to use our office furniture department as a hangout.

It may seem harmless to you, but the stuff they are lounging around on and leaving a mess around is products I'm trying to sell. And having a bunch of swearing middleschoolers hanging around does not do good for our image

This is why I will never call myself a "railfan"... Too many of these bimbos running around and messing stuff up, then being classified with that term.

So what do you call yourself? Not to sound condescending, I'm genuinely curious.

I myself prefer "transit historian". :)

I know what you mean; back in December a guy was playing a musical instrument on a train I was on, and then went around asking for money. I went to complain to the Guard (Toronto's equivalent to the C/R), and a supervisor came on the train two stations later to eject him from the system. When I got home and told my parents what happened, they scolded me and called me "heartless" for complaining about a man "who was just trying to make a little money". Sad how things are nowadays.

Yeah, that is pretty heartless. Totally unrelated to the 'snitching' discussion; that's just a mean human action. Shame that you did that, and a little embarrassing that you made such a scene. Hopefully one day you'll be able to feel empathy and compassion, and hopefully you'll listen to your parents a little more. They're right. 

This is why I will never call myself a "railfan"... Too many of these bimbos running around and messing stuff up, then being classified with that term.

One of the couple reasons I came up with the term "routefanner"...

Since this is the subway section, I'll spare talking about the term busfanner for now.... But the term railfan/railfanner OTOH - One of my main problems with it, is that the stigma surrounding it.... See, it has very little to do with a physical train itself & a hell of a lot more to do with foaming (which is a word I tend not to use) & (to sum it up) TROUBLEMAKING....

....Case in point, the legion of misguided mischievous juvenile jackasses being mentioned here....

And it is only going to get worse, because as I see it, the younger these kids get, the less they seem to value life (I'm not just talking about anything transit-related either).... That's the bigger issue I see within all of this.... I remember growing up & seeing kids (then) my age, getting into all sorts of BS - and IMO, the mentality going in with our (my) generation was, *I hear/know _______ is dangerous, but (some consequence) won't happen to me*... i.e., Bulletproof mentality.

The younger generation(s), I get the sense that they're smart enough to know what they're doing (too smart for their own good, if you ask me) - Problem is, you get the bunch of em that don't give a shit about any consequences (boys or girls, does not matter, and that is another thing - for another time, that is).... I don't see it as just child-like inquisitivity either..... Good old fashioned peer pressure only makes matters worse.....

"It does not appear that the young man had a key"

Yeah well they charged up trains, turned on headlights, and played with doors on layups.... they def have keys

So you're OK with the foamers wasting the police's time with stupidity and snitching on people that didn't harm anyone? 

I'm not defending anyone here, not even someone harmlessly going into a cab or changing a sign. But it's harmless unless someone or something gets hurt, and simply taking a f**king selfie in the cab or changing a rollsign doesn't warrant an army of foamers pestering the NYPD to arrest someone who is probably both A. a kid and B. will have a hard time defending themselves and do not need to deal with the law over BS. This is like reporting your neighbors for weed, you're not doing anything but getting someone in trouble for a harmless violation and wasting the cops time when there's more serious sh*t to deal with. That's not to say people shouldn't give a damn if they actually try to seriously damage transit property or injure people like Keyshawn did or even these guys screwing with circuit breakers that could cause problems with equipment, but I'm sick of seeing these foamer armies tracking people down and reporting them whenever they see a cab selfie or sign changer.

This sort of attitude is the problem with society today, and the abundance of it is why minorities cannot live in peace in bad neighborhoods. I suppose those Muslim gentlemen on 9/11 just wanted some selfies in the cockpit of those planes? Better not say anything.

This is criminal trespassing. There is a reason those cabs are locked, because dangerous things can be done in there.

And just because no one ends up getting hurt doesn't mean that what's done isn't extremely reckless and dangerous, which is why the charge of "reckless endangerment" exists, among others. How would you like it if I pulled out a loaded pistol and started aiming at different parts of your body just to get you to jump so I could take some funny photos? That's cool, cuz you didn't get hurt right? I could even fake having a seizure so you think I might actually pull the trigger, that'll really get you scared for the camera. As long as I don't "actually" hurt you, that's totally cool right?

No. Try again.

Sign changing: Since most of you are still in school, it's a simple example.

You turn in a homework assignment. You're sitting in the back row. Students are to pass the papers to the front for the teacher to collect. Siting in the third row, I decide it would be hilarious to write THE TEACHER HAS A FAT ASS on your assignment as the papers are passed up, and take a quick pic. No one seems to notice.

How does that make YOU feel?

That's exactly how it makes a crew feel when someone messes up signs that could lead to them being disciplined. You are playing with people's lives, families, money, and ability to put bread on their table.

When you f*** with that, you f*** with the very core of someone, and consequences are harsh.

As to the kids in the community, there is a severe lack of guidance provided by the slightly older railfans, and this is something I have been outspoken about a hell of a lot here as it's only gotten worse the last 10 years. There is one particularly obnoxious large group that draws everyone in, and encourages loud, obnoxious "ghetto" behavior. Gone are the days of the humble hobbyists who just befriend you, share information, make plans, and enjoy the system. Now everything has to be a social event, and it's more about bragging about who or what you know than actually going anywhere and having a good time. The kind of people who'd rather be on the internet going "Look the R-9s are running on Sunday...I HEARD IT FIRST!" rather than show up to ride them.

The young adult group is a particular void because all of these new kids coming into the hobby the past 2-3 years have basically done so on their own and with their own. No one has pulled them aside and shown them how to act. It's no surprise they don't know how to.

Hell, we used to have fairly intelligent discussions in this board, even a few years ago. The few employees left that still post don't comment often in this section. Any ideas why? We're just not all that interested in fantasy maps, specs for cars that aren't even on order yet, somebody's 3/4 profile photo of a train entering a station that looks about the same as the one last week, arguing with railfans about maintenance issues who don't understand the basic components of a subway car or the metrics used to assess reliability, or proposed car and bus assignments that aren't final. And a lot of the more intelligent people in the community don't even post online because it has become such a cesspool of misinformation and arguing about nothing - and that goes for here as well as that other site...or the other two besides that.

I am well aware that some of you want to work for Transit someday. The day you take that oath, sit in that classroom, learn the job, and start trying to do it... you will see things my way. And don't think for a moment that any of this so-called "harmless" vandal nonsense will be seen that way if you apply for a job. And that includes interns who often think that pass they get gives them special privileges. Interns have lost those privileges as fast as they got them in the past for this same type of behavior.

If you want to change rollsigns, blow train horns, open and close doors...GET PAID TO. And learn to do it the right way. Lose the OBSESSION and the CHILDLIKE BEHAVIOR and become a PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF SOCIETY. This is not a joke and people can get hurt. There are lots of people who had an interest in Transit, and got a job here, and are OUTSTANDING employees who still find time to try things with the equipment to satisfy their own professional curiosity, without the threat of injury, death, or job loss to others. And on the other side are those who could not let their obsession go, even after working here, which led to their dismissal from Transit because they refused to follow the rules and work within the system. So, you've been warned. If any of you do end up working down here, do it right.

And if you're not old enough to work for MTA yet? Get good grades in school, be a decent human being, try and learn things instead of constantly showing off, and WAIT YOUR TIME. Go play sports, learn how to talk to women (really talk to women, not this embarrassing hoodrat/railfan hybrid pickup crap I see all the time anytime one of you tries to talk to a female on a train...it's seriously pathetic), and make some real friends...hell, even outside of the hobby. They'll probably last you longer in the end anyway.

This hobby needs a number of people on all sides of it to survive - preservationists to save and restore things, employees to run them, managers to decide to make so called "railfan events" either possible or priority, people passionate about history with archival/museum skills, good photographers, data loggers (IE the people who write down the last runs of equipment, dates, etc.), people with people skills to make this material accessible for the general public, donors to fund the whole thing, people to just show up and ride events, parents to get their kids into it so it lasts another generation, etc. You know what it does not need? Vandals giving it a bad name. Vandals are the equivalent of the idiotic sports fans who set cars on fire when their teams win championships. Stop covering for them, speak of them as the scum that they are, and maybe the kids around you will get the message before it's too late, as it is for the morons in the video.

SubwayGuy, since we're on the subject of open cabs and vandalism I want to ask you some things.

There was a time I found an open (and jammed) cab on the B end of a 68. is it a good idea to report to the train operator about this, or would informing the conductor be the better option? I did the former, and while he did thank me the response wasn't what I expected it to be.

Also, should passengers even report any sort of tampering, or should some things be left alone - for better or worse? There was a time where I reported to a cop a possible case of tampering on a signal head (its door was open) mounted on the public area of the platform, and instead of being the good person I became the suspect.

SubwayGuy, since we're on the subject of open cabs and vandalism I want to ask you some things.

There was a time I found an open (and jammed) cab on the B end of a 68. is it a good idea to report to the train operator about this, or would informing the conductor be the better option? I did the former, and while he did thank me the response wasn't what I expected it to be.

Also, should passengers even report any sort of tampering, or should some things be left alone - for better or worse? There was a time where I reported to a cop a possible case of tampering on a signal head (its door was open) mounted on the public area of the platform, and instead of being the good person I became the suspect.

On the train, always inform the closest crew member as either Train Operator or Conductor could attempt to correct the situation. Best to do it immediately. A lot of times, people are selfish and will wait until they arrive at their stop to report something...AKA "let me get where I want to go, then let everyone else gt delayed"...that's selfish, and it annoys the crews as generally a person upon doing this will 1) disappear 2) fail to provide a detailed description of whatever's being reported (ie..."there are some kids acting up back there, you might want to check that out" followed by walking away). Always report things immediately.

To avoid suspicion, if you're a buff, no need to use buff language, as due to idiots like those in the video, it makes you an object of suspicion. I'm not saying this is what you did, but consider the following example:

-"Excuse me, a door to one of the employee compartments on the train is stuck open back there. It looks like anyone could go in there."

vs.

-"The #1 end cab door is open in car 2627"

Generally it's safe to stick to obvious security breaches (open cab doors) or observed behavior (someone tampering or trespassing). Minor, barely noticeable stuff is less so.

Unless you're showing a pass as you say the second, you will appear suspicious. TA employees are conditioned to be suspicious...the general public usually does not like us, thinks we are overpaid, often looks for reasons to complain about our behavior or question the directions we give them when they ask us...we are subject to compliance testing by our employer which can sometimes include their behaving irritatingly to see if we remain professional and courteous at all times...plus there is always a very real fear that some even go further and try to lure us out of the cab and attack us. I have had a 10 year old kid throw a quarter as hard as he could at my cab window (closed, of course), as well as numerous morons who thought it'd be funny to fake jumping in front of my train which ALWAYS causes a blood pressure spike, as well as one idiot who wasn't faking and whose carelessness nearly got him spread all over lower Manhattan. We are always mindful that every interaction with the public could turn violent if someone feels like stupidly taking out their "fare increase rage" on us, and we are not armed or otherwise capable of enforcing the law (nor do the rules allow us to use force except in extreme cases of self preservation where the next step is hiring a good lawyer) so we are very aware of being targeted, avoiding a conflict where we have to choose between our safety and our job, and our own safety always comes first. I'm not sure what kind of reaction you're looking for. As long as the issue is corrected, that's what's important. No one is going to hail or thank you as some kind of hero, and we are going to be distrustful of anything being reported until we see it with our own eyes, in which case we will correct it if we are able and return as quickly as possible to the safety of our operating position. As long as the issue is corrected, that's all the thanks you need since you helped correct the condition.

Be thankful the vandals arn't up to tampering with the signalling equipment to keep a signal at red and know what to touch under a train to keep it there.

Then there could be some dead ones then because access to things such as that aren't on the platform.... Or easily accessible....

Sign changing: Since most of you are still in school, it's a simple example.

You turn in a homework assignment. You're sitting in the back row. Students are to pass the papers to the front for the teacher to collect. Siting in the third row, I decide it would be hilarious to write THE TEACHER HAS A FAT ASS on your assignment as the papers are passed up, and take a quick pic. No one seems to notice.

How does that make YOU feel?

That's exactly how it makes a crew feel when someone messes up signs that could lead to them being disciplined. You are playing with people's lives, families, money, and ability to put bread on their table.

When you f*** with that, you f*** with the very core of someone, and consequences are harsh.

As to the kids in the community, there is a severe lack of guidance provided by the slightly older railfans, and this is something I have been outspoken about a hell of a lot here as it's only gotten worse the last 10 years. There is one particularly obnoxious large group that draws everyone in, and encourages loud, obnoxious "ghetto" behavior. Gone are the days of the humble hobbyists who just befriend you, share information, make plans, and enjoy the system. Now everything has to be a social event, and it's more about bragging about who or what you know than actually going anywhere and having a good time. The kind of people who'd rather be on the internet going "Look the R-9s are running on Sunday...I HEARD IT FIRST!" rather than show up to ride them.

The young adult group is a particular void because all of these new kids coming into the hobby the past 2-3 years have basically done so on their own and with their own. No one has pulled them aside and shown them how to act. It's no surprise they don't know how to.

Hell, we used to have fairly intelligent discussions in this board, even a few years ago. The few employees left that still post don't comment often in this section. Any ideas why? We're just not all that interested in fantasy maps, specs for cars that aren't even on order yet, somebody's 3/4 profile photo of a train entering a station that looks about the same as the one last week, arguing with railfans about maintenance issues who don't understand the basic components of a subway car or the metrics used to assess reliability, or proposed car and bus assignments that aren't final. And a lot of the more intelligent people in the community don't even post online because it has become such a cesspool of misinformation and arguing about nothing - and that goes for here as well as that other site...or the other two besides that.

I am well aware that some of you want to work for Transit someday. The day you take that oath, sit in that classroom, learn the job, and start trying to do it... you will see things my way. And don't think for a moment that any of this so-called "harmless" vandal nonsense will be seen that way if you apply for a job. And that includes interns who often think that pass they get gives them special privileges. Interns have lost those privileges as fast as they got them in the past for this same type of behavior.

If you want to change rollsigns, blow train horns, open and close doors...GET PAID TO. And learn to do it the right way. Lose the OBSESSION and the CHILDLIKE BEHAVIOR and become a PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF SOCIETY. This is not a joke and people can get hurt. There are lots of people who had an interest in Transit, and got a job here, and are OUTSTANDING employees who still find time to try things with the equipment to satisfy their own professional curiosity, without the threat of injury, death, or job loss to others. And on the other side are those who could not let their obsession go, even after working here, which led to their dismissal from Transit because they refused to follow the rules and work within the system. So, you've been warned. If any of you do end up working down here, do it right.

And if you're not old enough to work for MTA yet? Get good grades in school, be a decent human being, try and learn things instead of constantly showing off, and WAIT YOUR TIME. Go play sports, learn how to talk to women (really talk to women, not this embarrassing hoodrat/railfan hybrid pickup crap I see all the time anytime one of you tries to talk to a female on a train...it's seriously pathetic), and make some real friends...hell, even outside of the hobby. They'll probably last you longer in the end anyway.

This hobby needs a number of people on all sides of it to survive - preservationists to save and restore things, employees to run them, managers to decide to make so called "railfan events" either possible or priority, people passionate about history with archival/museum skills, good photographers, data loggers (IE the people who write down the last runs of equipment, dates, etc.), people with people skills to make this material accessible for the general public, donors to fund the whole thing, people to just show up and ride events, parents to get their kids into it so it lasts another generation, etc. You know what it does not need? Vandals giving it a bad name. Vandals are the equivalent of the idiotic sports fans who set cars on fire when their teams win championships. Stop covering for them, speak of them as the scum that they are, and maybe the kids around you will get the message before it's too late, as it is for the morons in the video.

I agree that it's on us older folk to keep the younger generation up to speed in rail fanning and how to act properly. I also agree that the only time we get together is just for major fan events.

I think that one of the problems is that the older transit fans are fully engaged in their "9 to 5" work, some of which may be transit related. Me, I'm a bus operator with a straight 8 hour shift (sometimes a charter here or there) and that can play havoc on your body (I'm finding out the fact that I'm not as young as I used to be is hard), with the option of working a sixth day for $$$. Not exactly sure how a Subway Operator schedule works, some of you operators would know that. At the end of the day, you're out cold after work (depending on the individual) and you may only have one good day to get with someone and go for a trip/adventure somewhere whereas these kids are exposed to the transit system to have "fun" 5 days a week.

But at the end of the day, you're right, the onus is on us to be examples of how to conduct yourself properly and not end up on the news for the wrong reasons

Major understatement. In Toronto, you can easily fill a 40 footer on a fan trip with transit fans, and that's nowhere close to being the full community.

Regardless of size, there is some major common sense lacking. If you are a fan of the system, why the hell would you want to cause chaos and disorder? Don't you want to see it thrive? Do sports fans try to sabotage their favorite players at a game? Does a TV show fan break into the set and cause chaos while they're filming a scene? It makes no sense.

Sports fans can be worst. Throwing D batteries on ball players. Tearing up your city when your team wins the championship(New Yorkers don't do that) and feral rivalries. Yankees vs Red Sox is nothing. Try LA vs SF in anything:baseball,football. Stabbings in parking lots. College sports rivalries. Don't even think of walking in Columbus,Ohio wearing a University of Michigan hat.

Sports fans can be worst. Throwing D batteries on ball players. Tearing up your city when your team wins the championship(New Yorkers don't do that) and feral rivalries. Yankees vs Red Sox is nothing. Try LA vs SF in anything:baseball,football. Stabbings in parking lots. College sports rivalries. Don't even think of walking in Columbus,Ohio wearing a University of Michigan hat.

I remember that one year the New York Football Giants Fans were throwing snowballs in a game and one knocked someone out. It ended up on the news, and the Giants organization ended up issuing a written apology for it

I agree that it's on us older folk to keep the younger generation up to speed in rail fanning and how to act properly. I also agree that the only time we get together is just for major fan events.

I think that one of the problems is that the older transit fans are fully engaged in their "9 to 5" work, some of which may be transit related. Me, I'm a bus operator with a straight 8 hour shift (sometimes a charter here or there) and that can play havoc on your body (I'm finding out the fact that I'm not as young as I used to be is hard), with the option of working a sixth day for $$$. Not exactly sure how a Subway Operator schedule works, some of you operators would know that. At the end of the day, you're out cold after work (depending on the individual) and you may only have one good day to get with someone and go for a trip/adventure somewhere whereas these kids are exposed to the transit system to have "fun" 5 days a week.

But at the end of the day, you're right, the onus is on us to be examples of how to conduct yourself properly and not end up on the news for the wrong reasons

Employees distance ourselves from the large groups because a lot of the undesirables tend to lurk in them. We want nothing to do with them, even if it means not having anything to do with good people. That's one of the problems with the way these people hang out. Once you're in a group with someone who sucks ass once, they will say hi to you and bother you forever. No thanks.

It has nothing to do with work schedules.

Hell, I have heard of people who ran in those exact circles who got hired and DIDN'T TELL ANYONE THAT out of not wanting to be harassed. They just "quietly disappeared"

And this goes beyond employees...frankly it's not exclusively an employee's responsibility to educate these people...half the time these idiotic kids won't even listen to employees anyway. Just like some of the morons on here won't take my word, or RTOMan's, for example, that a car class is actually not falling apart and doomed for imminent failure because the brake shoes are squealing. Have you ever looked around at some of the well behaved older railfans like Peter E., Fred G., or some of the many older ones who just quietly go about their business and take amazing photos? They're very unassuming, friendly, and humble. Where is this generation's type of those? Why must everyone in this generation be a know nothing moron addicted to social media, asskissing who they believe is a leader in the community (most of whom actually aren't anything of the sort), spreading wrong information, and making a scene in public with a large group?

It doesn't excuse that behavior at all. Hence why a lot of most sports teams' true year-round fanbase gets annoyed when the "bandwagon fans" jump on during a playoff run and behave this way...it makes everyone look bad.

And sports fans are not "the worst" it's just different sides of the same coin (animal behavior). Alcohol is typically an accelerant for sports fans, and it certainly doesn't excuse their behavior...but misbehaving railfans are showing up sober and well aware of what they are doing when they do it, and that speaks volumes also.

Employees distance ourselves from the large groups because a lot of the undesirables tend to lurk in them. We want nothing to do with them, even if it means not having anything to do with good people. That's one of the problems with the way these people hang out. Once you're in a group with someone who sucks ass once, they will say hi to you and bother you forever. No thanks.

It has nothing to do with work schedules.

Hell, I have heard of people who ran in those exact circles who got hired and DIDN'T TELL ANYONE THAT out of not wanting to be harassed. They just "quietly disappeared"

And this goes beyond employees...frankly it's not exclusively an employee's responsibility to educate these people...half the time these idiotic kids won't even listen to employees anyway. Just like some of the morons on here won't take my word, or RTOMan's, for example, that a car class is actually not falling apart and doomed for imminent failure because the brake shoes are squealing. Have you ever looked around at some of the well behaved older railfans like Peter E., Fred G., or some of the many older ones who just quietly go about their business and take amazing photos? They're very unassuming, friendly, and humble. Where is this generation's type of those? Why must everyone in this generation be a know nothing moron addicted to social media, asskissing who they believe is a leader in the community (most of whom actually aren't anything of the sort), spreading wrong information, and making a scene in public with a large group?

Well, I can agree with you about constant fan harassment, I think I may have made a mistake and let someone into my circle (to include Facebook) and I get constant IMs all the time from him (can you say opening the Pandora's Box lol)

You're also right about some of the older Railfans (I know Fred G. if it is indeed who I think you're talking about).

A good example of these fans are at my Model Railroad club in Carlstadt, NJ. A lot of non Railroaders and Railfans who are very responsible people and take the hobby seriously. I think if some of these kids out here got a chance to go to these MR clubs, just to talk to some of these folks, they'd have someone to look up to, go on trips to different places (some of the younger kids go on driving trips to certain railroad hot spots as far as Sandpatch Grade (Amtrak's Capitol Limited route in Maryland), they might, just might turn out better

Archived