Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

1 hour ago, playtoannoy said:

Can anyone who was recently in schoolcar, let us know how long it took to get your uniforms?  I know they told us they just switched suppliers. I think it was unipro if I remember correctly. 

I started in July and still haven’t gotten anything. Everyone I asked (TSS, fellow coworkers etc) no one knows. We were told up to three months. I’m now hitting three months and still nothing. There’s been a lot of complaints about this vendor 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, exj16 said:

My list number was in the 2400s and yeah during school car you will have to take a mid term, 2 practical exams (Yard and Road) and the finals (multiple choice exam) . Both exams are easy if you pay attention in class and spend about 20 minutes rereading your notes everyday. If you fail the midterms or finals you get to retake it but instead of it being multiple choice, it’s fill in the blank which is actually harder lol practicals are not hard either 

Thanks for the info. I’m decent with hands on stuff but I’m so nervous about the paper to pen exams lol. 

49 minutes ago, exj16 said:

I started in July and still haven’t gotten anything. Everyone I asked (TSS, fellow coworkers etc) no one knows. We were told up to three months. I’m now hitting three months and still nothing. There’s been a lot of complaints about this vendor 

Wow. I asked the people who took the measurements and they said about a month, but something told me that was BS. 

40 minutes ago, Tony77 said:

Thanks for the info. I’m decent with hands on stuff but I’m so nervous about the paper to pen exams lol. 

Trust me those exams are easy lol they’re all multiple choice questions. For most of us, the most stressful part was the yard practical. Which is a simulation that’s consists of you preparing and checking your two cars in preparation for leaving terminal(PA/IC check, radio check, destination sign setup, circuit breaker check, safety chain/spring barrier check, etc) , 2-3 station stops where you make announcements/regular door operations and a door malfunction/cutout and you calling Rail control center and notifying them of the door malfunction which will be done on an older train like the R68 or R46.  It sounds like a lot and scary but it’s not lol while posting, I got spoiled with the new tech trains. You’re going to love the new techs when you do road ops (you and your classmates will get on a train and go down a train line like the A or C line making station stops and practicing announcements and door operations) with no passengers on board 

18 hours ago, exj16 said:

Trust me those exams are easy lol they’re all multiple choice questions. For most of us, the most stressful part was the yard practical. Which is a simulation that’s consists of you preparing and checking your two cars in preparation for leaving terminal(PA/IC check, radio check, destination sign setup, circuit breaker check, safety chain/spring barrier check, etc) , 2-3 station stops where you make announcements/regular door operations and a door malfunction/cutout and you calling Rail control center and notifying them of the door malfunction which will be done on an older train like the R68 or R46.  It sounds like a lot and scary but it’s not lol while posting, I got spoiled with the new tech trains. You’re going to love the new techs when you do road ops (you and your classmates will get on a train and go down a train line like the A or C line making station stops and practicing announcements and door operations) with no passengers on board 

omg sounds like alot but i cant wait to start....79xx please come fast

6 minutes ago, exj16 said:

Hey everyone, good news again. A member of supervision informed us that transit is in desperate needs of Train Operators and Conductors and will be having new induction classes  every month up till at least march 

omg i hope they get to # 79xx i so want to work for the MTA

16 minutes ago, exj16 said:

Hey everyone, good news again. A member of supervision informed us that transit is in desperate needs of Train Operators and Conductors and will be having new induction classes  every month up till at least march 

That is great news. I'm having issues getting a study. My insurance is not cooperating with helping me expedite an exam.

What is the current salary? Is there alot of overtime?

Are benefits included for my family and I? When does insurance kick in? 

I'm trying to weigh my options if it's even worth leaving a good job working from home.. with 65k and benefits.. 

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Tez said:

What is the current salary? Is there alot of overtime?

Are benefits included for my family and I? When does insurance kick in? 

I'm trying to weigh my options if it's even worth leaving a good job working from home.. with 65k and benefits.. 

Thank you 

Starting pay is 23.67 an hour with night/weekend differential bonus pay. Top pay is around 35 an hour after 5 years on the job (I don’t remember the exact pay)  yes you can include your family in your benefits and insurance goes into affect after 90 days on the job after your start date. The job has excellent benefits including 4o1k and 457 . If you’re like me and have decent money in your 4o1k from your previous job, you can have that rolled over to transit. As for overtime, you will have plenty of opportunities to do overtime. There are conductors that I’ve met during posting  that make well over 100k a year. It all depends on you. Dispatchers offer extra trips/OT all the time. Also you will work jobs/shifts that are well over 8 hours. As you know anything over 8 hours count as OT. Hoped I answered everything 

5 minutes ago, exj16 said:

Starting pay is 23.67 an hour with night/weekend differential bonus pay. Top pay is around 35 an hour after 5 years on the job (I don’t remember the exact pay)  yes you can include your family in your benefits and insurance goes into affect after 90 days on the job after your start date. The job has excellent benefits including 4o1k and 457 . If you’re like me and have decent money in your 4o1k from your previous job, you can have that rolled over to transit. As for overtime, you will have plenty of opportunities to do overtime. There are conductors that I’ve met during posting  that make well over 100k a year. It all depends on you. Dispatchers offer extra trips/OT all the time. Also you will work jobs/shifts that are well over 8 hours. As you know anything over 8 hours count as OT. Hoped I answered everything 

Thank you very much!

On 9/21/2021 at 4:34 PM, playtoannoy said:

Wow. I asked the people who took the measurements and they said about a month, but something told me that was BS. 

Yeah, I was at a yard yesterday and we met some other conductors and train operators who said that they’ve ordered things from this new vendor and they’ve yet to receive them. I wish they would’ve stuck with VF Solutions. My old job had a contract with VF Solutions and they’re great. 

On 9/21/2021 at 5:20 PM, exj16 said:

Thanks for that info! I’m super nervous about the yard practical. One of my TSS’s isn’t the nicest and I’m afraid I’m gonna get failed “just because” 😂 

It has been a long road and finally they called today (left voicemail) and also received the "MTA NYCT Conductor Canvas Letter/Appointment Ticket" email. My list number is in the 33XX and I never thought the day would come. I want to ask for your advice as I really took matters into my own hands and made moves that have placed me in a position that has me considering my options (funny thing is that 5-6 years I basically had no options when I decided to take the exam).
To make it short, I want to know what do you guys think based on the fact that I went to school and got my bachelor in computer science (2019 Grad). I am currently at 42 dollars an hour on a Mon-Fri (9-5) while still growing in my field. However, not sure if taking advantage of this opportunity would open a path for me to go into IT for NYCT and potentially finding a better salary there after paying my dues and stepping up the ladder in upcoming years.
I humbly thank any good input as I am giving it serious thought and need to know how to tackle this important moment.
Good luck to everyone out there and wish you all get the call.

11 hours ago, Fifo14 said:

It has been a long road and finally they called today (left voicemail) and also received the "MTA NYCT Conductor Canvas Letter/Appointment Ticket" email. My list number is in the 33XX and I never thought the day would come. I want to ask for your advice as I really took matters into my own hands and made moves that have placed me in a position that has me considering my options (funny thing is that 5-6 years I basically had no options when I decided to take the exam).
To make it short, I want to know what do you guys think based on the fact that I went to school and got my bachelor in computer science (2019 Grad). I am currently at 42 dollars an hour on a Mon-Fri (9-5) while still growing in my field. However, not sure if taking advantage of this opportunity would open a path for me to go into IT for NYCT and potentially finding a better salary there after paying my dues and stepping up the ladder in upcoming years.
I humbly thank any good input as I am giving it serious thought and need to know how to tackle this important moment.

honestly its up to you...looks like you'll be making more money in your current field...but up to you...im a bank manager and ill leave this behind asap when i get called 

12 hours ago, Fifo14 said:

You can start off as a C/R and always transfer over to IT when a position is available. You're going to take a big hit in pay until you get to top pay but there's a lot of OT available, as well as opportunity for promotions. Also, consider if your job now has a pension/benefits plan that matches or exceeds NYCT's.

The downside is that you're definitely going to be waiting a while to see a 9-5 with weekends and holidays off. Your schedule will be all over the place until you get off the XX (Extra Extra List).

I finally received the canvassing email last night around 9:30pm, list #33**. The email said my appointment was for this upcoming Wednesday 9/29 at 12:00am, that has to be a mistake right? Lol, I mean if that’s the correct time I’m fine with that, but that just didn’t seem right, definitely going to email them back and call Monday morning to clarify that. I have a couple questions tho and any response would be greatly appreciated. The email says to acknowledge receipt of this email and in the link for the pre employment application it says to respond to the canvas, otherwise you’ll be removed from the list. Does filling out the pre employment application and sending it back cover all that, or am I supposed to also simply reply to them saying I received the canvas and I’m interested. Also, it said to send the application back to the email address provided in the canvas email, am I sending this paperwork back to the person who sent me the canvas email or this email that was provided at the bottom RTOEmploymentOperations@nyct.com. Sorry if these questions have been answered in here already, I might have missed it, but thanks again ahead of time for any help with this and congrats to anyone who recently made it through the process or is going to be doing it soon. 

3 hours ago, Stru385 said:

I finally received the canvassing email last night around 9:30pm, list #33**. The email said my appointment was for this upcoming Wednesday 9/29 at 12:00am, that has to be a mistake right? Lol, I mean if that’s the correct time I’m fine with that, but that just didn’t seem right, definitely going to email them back and call Monday morning to clarify that. I have a couple questions tho and any response would be greatly appreciated. The email says to acknowledge receipt of this email and in the link for the pre employment application it says to respond to the canvas, otherwise you’ll be removed from the list. Does filling out the pre employment application and sending it back cover all that, or am I supposed to also simply reply to them saying I received the canvas and I’m interested. Also, it said to send the application back to the email address provided in the canvas email, am I sending this paperwork back to the person who sent me the canvas email or this email that was provided at the bottom RTOEmploymentOperations@nyct.com. Sorry if these questions have been answered in here already, I might have missed it, but thanks again ahead of time for any help with this and congrats to anyone who recently made it through the process or is going to be doing it soon. 

The 12am has to be a typo. You'll be coming in to do drug testing. Respond to the email saying that you have received it and yes you are interested in the position. The paperwork you will fill out and return to the email that it says to send it back to. You can fill the application out in Adobe or just print it out and fill it in with pen. You'll return it via email and you need to bring a print-out with you to the drug test. 

3 hours ago, Stru385 said:

Respond to the email saying you'll received it and that'll you be coming in on such date 

On 9/25/2021 at 9:56 AM, elvis G said:

honestly its up to you...looks like you'll be making more money in your current field...but up to you...im a bank manager and ill leave this behind asap when i get called 

I work in IT for a bank and I understand why you would leave the job. Pay scales are different for you and I at this very moment and that's why I would need more insight before making such a move. Thank you for the input though. I do appreciate it.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:19 AM, SevenEleven said:

You can start off as a C/R and always transfer over to IT when a position is available. You're going to take a big hit in pay until you get to top pay but there's a lot of OT available, as well as opportunity for promotions. Also, consider if your job now has a pension/benefits plan that matches or exceeds NYCT's.

The downside is that you're definitely going to be waiting a while to see a 9-5 with weekends and holidays off. Your schedule will be all over the place until you get off the XX (Extra Extra List).

That will be a big problem. Life is short man, and we all need work/life balance. If I need to do brutal OT in order to make 100K then I must put everything on a scale. Yes, the pension is good, but with all the OT you barely have time to do nothing else than working and devoting your life to NYCT. What about time for you to invest in you and your family, how do you grow your money if all you got is time to work?
How does it work? How long does it take for you to apply for promotions or department transfers? How hard would it be for anyone to go from C/R to IT? Is there an exam to go directly into IT? Would it be less convenient as far as transferring pay scale for C/R to IT? Maybe someone has some input.