Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

1 hour ago, Stac said:

Does anyone know, how long after your pre-employment do you get either an email or call to go back in for more processing? Can anyone please provide the email or phone in which I can contact for that info? Thanks

They say 3-90 days but they appoint people to the position by list #. Supposedly they're up to the 200's for medical/final processing. There's no concrete answer for how long it will take since there are many factors involved. i.e how many people they intend to hire, how many turn down the position when called, etc...

Hey @LIRRMedford when you went for pre employment did they give y'all a date for when the July class will start or did they tell you guys June 3rd?

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

They say 3-90 days but they appoint people to the position by list #. Supposedly they're up to the 200's for medical/final processing. There's no concrete answer for how long it will take since there are many factors involved. i.e how many people they intend to hire, how many turn down the position when called, etc...

Hey @LIRRMedford when you went for pre employment did they give y'all a date for when the July class will start or did they tell you guys June 3rd?

So they are in 200’s for April 23rd class? Did you hear this from a reliable source?

Hi everyone,

Lots of good information posted here. I have a bit of a situation and I'm looking for some advice on how to handle it.

My list number is in the 300s and passed the OPA. I was on vacation for 2 weeks. The day after I left for my vacation, the letter telling me to come in for pre-employment arrived. I was supposed to go in for pre-employment on April 4th, but I didn't return to the US until April 15th... So I missed my pre-employment appointment. Does anyone have the correct phone number for the person I should call to get my pre-employment rescheduled? As usual with the MTA, there is absolutely NO good, concise, and clear information online about this sort of thing. In fact, the MTA employment office phone number seems to be disconnected.. (347-643-8237)

Also, I'm currently about to finish up a 4-year college degree in a year. How can I defer my appointment so that I can wait to get hired until I finish my degree? Who do I need to call and/or what do I need to do that?

2 minutes ago, MFury31 said:

Hi everyone,

Lots of good information posted here. I have a bit of a situation and I'm looking for some advice on how to handle it.

My list number is in the 300s and passed the OPA. I was on vacation for 2 weeks. The day after I left for my vacation, the letter telling me to come in for pre-employment arrived. I was supposed to go in for pre-employment on April 4th, but I didn't return to the US until April 15th... So I missed my pre-employment appointment. Does anyone have the correct phone number for the person I should call to get my pre-employment rescheduled? As usual with the MTA, there is absolutely NO good, concise, and clear information online about this sort of thing. In fact, the MTA employment office phone number seems to be disconnected.. (347-643-8237)

Also, I'm currently about to finish up a 4-year college degree in a year. How can I defer my appointment so that I can wait to get hired until I finish my degree? Who do I need to call and/or what do I need to do that?

Did you try emailing the exams unit?

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

Did you try emailing the exams unit?

I did that yesterday morning, no response. As usual with the rest of the MTA, communication is not their forte. Is there a phone number that I can use to pester the HR department to do their job as well?

13 minutes ago, MFury31 said:

I did that yesterday morning, no response. As usual with the rest of the MTA, communication is not their forte. Is there a phone number that I can use to pester the HR department to do their job as well?

Try calling this number tomorrow 3476438229 it's for the mta employment center they're opened from 7am until 5pm

1 hour ago, Bmpo7 said:

How many people go per class? And are the classes monthly? Or do they skip months?

16 hours ago, LIRRMedford said:

They said april and june nothing exact about july, but she did said they have classes scheduled every month for the rest of the year!

3 minutes ago, LIRRMedford said:

They said april and june nothing exact about july, but she did said they have classes scheduled every month for the rest of the year!

Thank you for the information. Good luck in your hiring process! 

Want to ask for some personal advice: Was recently offered a promotion at my job (currently at $19.50 at my position, promotion would put me at $22). My list number for this exam is low 700's. I would take the conductor job all day over my current job (I do love my job though). Should I turn down the position and wait it out?  Would hate to turn down the promotion and never get called from the conductor job (is that possible?). Feels like a good problem to have, but still feel stuck and would like some professional advice. 

1 minute ago, Bmpo7 said:

Want to ask for some personal advice: Was recently offered a promotion at my job (currently at $19.50 at my position, promotion would put me at $22). My list number for this exam is low 700's. I would take the conductor job all day over my current job (I do love my job though). Should I turn down the position and wait it out?  Would hate to turn down the promotion and never get called from the conductor job (is that possible?). Feels like a good problem to have, but still feel stuck and would like some professional advice. 

Can't you take the promotion, then leave for the MTA when you're called?

6 minutes ago, adorkasherri said:

Can't you take the promotion, then leave for the MTA when you're called?

Contemplating this big time... How unprofessional would that be? Wasting their time training me just to leave right away. Or would you say "f it" and do it lol.

1 minute ago, Bmpo7 said:

Contemplating this big time... How unprofessional would that be? Wasting their time training me just to leave right away. Or would you say "f it" and do it lol.

I mean you're probably looking at a few months before you're called. I'm high 400s and they said we'd probably be in the June class, which I'm doubting since the classes aren't that big. 

7 minutes ago, adorkasherri said:

I mean you're probably looking at a few months before you're called. I'm high 400s and they said we'd probably be in the June class, which I'm doubting since the classes aren't that big. 

Good to know. Thank you so much! 

22 minutes ago, Bmpo7 said:

Real simple take the promotion and once MTA call you leave but don’t leave your job until you officially a MTA conductor (complete training)...these companies and jobs is not loyal to us so why be loyal to them? it’s all business doesn’t matter how long you been with them so don’t look at it as messed up if you take the promotion and Split later on down the line when MTA call 

4 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

Take the promotion and leave when called for.the MTA. The MTA is a career and you'll never look back.