Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

so this past week i heard alot about this exam and i work at Staten island railway, were having a large Locomotive Engineer class soon and to compensate for us losing a fair amount of Conductors to Engineer NYCT said we can canvas this exam for people to see if they're willing to make the jump to Staten Island. As of right now the pay is the same but wont be for long were still in contract negotiations and looking to make a little more than NYCT  Just a FYI Conductors in SIR are Railroad conductors they do alot more than just open and close doors they're on switching crew, work trains and flagging. keep an eye for a letter by mail or a call from a random 347 number if you're interested.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2024 at 7:25 AM, MikeBonds said:

Thank you so much! It’s been a long road and that was just pre employment! I know I have an even challenging way to go! But I’m focused and ready! I must say those doctors at 180 are definitely some interesting people lol

Congratulations and welcome aboard! You will do fine with the training and posting! Don't worry about it. I've been hear almost 7 years and the job does have its moments like ANY job but you will be fine.

One piece of advice that I would like to give you (if you don't mind)...when you finish posting and you're on your own, then get your assignments from the crew office...plan your route to get to the terminal. TRY...TRY not to drive. Use the subway to get to your assignment. If you must drive, then leave early. If you're on the train and you're not going to make it on time, just get the subway car number that you was in and they will check and verified that you was late BUT wasn't your fault. Your assignment COLUD be adjusted as a result.

6 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

Congratulations and welcome aboard! You will do fine with the training and posting! Don't worry about it. I've been hear almost 7 years and the job does have its moments like ANY job but you will be fine.

One piece of advice that I would like to give you (if you don't mind)...when you finish posting and you're on your own, then get your assignments from the crew office...plan your route to get to the terminal. TRY...TRY not to drive. Use the subway to get to your assignment. If you must drive, then leave early. If you're on the train and you're not going to make it on time, just get the subway car number that you was in and they will check and verified that you was late BUT wasn't your fault. Your assignment COLUD be adjusted as a result.

Thank you and thanks for the insight! I am kinda nervous about school car but I will focus and concentrate, I’m hearing most people have difficulties when it comes to the practical when “cutting out the doors” 

13 minutes ago, MikeBonds said:

Thank you and thanks for the insight! I am kinda nervous about school car but I will focus and concentrate, I’m hearing most people have difficulties when it comes to the practical when “cutting out the doors” 

It was hard at first BUT you will get it. Just make sure you take GREAT notes. Also, BE ON TIME. Can't stress that enough. If they tell you to report to school car at 0700 and you come at 0701, they will question you and possibly punish you. When I was in school car, the TSS formed a chain once 0700 came. So when you opened the door, they got you. So be on time. Again, you got this!

3 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

It was hard at first BUT you will get it. Just make sure you take GREAT notes. Also, BE ON TIME. Can't stress that enough. If they tell you to report to school car at 0700 and you come at 0701, they will question you and possibly punish you. When I was in school car, the TSS formed a chain once 0700 came. So when you opened the door, they got you. So be on time. Again, you got this!

Got you, I was planning on taking the train instead of driving anyway, but I will be taking extensive notes and focusing and because of my height(6’3) I heard it will be way easier to climb the train lol 

19 hours ago, MikeBonds said:

I’m in the class just past in January .Everything becomes easier as long you take notes and pay attention.Door cutouts to me is simple compared to learning the circuit board of these trains(which gave me a headache).im in b division so we have to learn more  train’s compared to the a division.Also yes please take the train it will cover you cause that’s not you fault.

On 2/25/2024 at 3:45 AM, MikeBonds said:

I was in your shoes 2 months ago. You will be fine. At first it will be a little overwhelming because it's all new to you but trust me you will get it.  Just pay attention in school car and if you have any questions ask your TSS to repeat it again even if you feel like you are the only person in class who doesn't get it. Trust me, your TSS wants you to pass, but you also have to do your part also and put in the work good luck. 

Edited by DBoss

21 minutes ago, DBoss said:

I was in your shoes 2 months ago. You will be fine. At first it will be a little overwhelming because it's all new to you but trust me you will get it.  Just pay attention in school car and if you have any questions ask your TSS to repeat it again even if you feel like you are the only person in class who doesn't get it. Trust me, your TSS wants you to pass, but you also have to do your part also and put in the work good luck. 

^ exactly! Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Chances are your classmates have the same questions and afraid or don’t know how to ask. You want to make sure you know everything you need to know especially before your midterm, final, yard practical, and road practical. I was in your shoes 10 months ago and I was nervous as hell in the beginning. I even questioned if I can even do this. The moment I got my first job assignment after project straight talk, I felt much better. You will do fine trust me. Just make sure you’re on time and take notes on your TSS’s are teaching you. 2 main things you need to remember are: know your platform and know your board.

this exam has closed as of 2.14.24 it out ran it time frame they won't be calling anyone else from this exam list. cause now u have 2 promotion and open comp exam out now so they must forward 

5 minutes ago, NJMike73 said:

this exam has closed as of 2.14.24 it out ran it time frame they won't be calling anyone else from this exam list. cause now u have 2 promotion and open comp exam out now so they must forward 

They must establish a NEW LIST first before they move forward. No list has been established for the promotionals or the OC. Once they establish a list and everyone gets their list numbers, then theyll close and stop calling from Exam 6601. If they need any conductors btwn now and when they finally establish a new list, they will conveniently call from list 6601.

6601 has been out for max numbers so they closed after some time cause now what going to is ask the remains list and ask them if they want to be cleaners called cta labor class i know people who already got this letter and phone call from MTA cause the list was closing 

6 minutes ago, NJMike73 said:

6601 has been out for max numbers so they closed after some time cause now what going to is ask the remains list and ask them if they want to be cleaners called cta labor class i know people who already got this letter and phone call from MTA cause the list was closing 

Theres thousands of ppl remaining on the qualified list. Theres no way theyre giving all those ppl cleaner jobs. Stations Dept dont need that many CTAs. So how are they choosing who theyre calling to become CTAs out of all those people? 

Also, theres no such thing as max time. They always give an ESTIMATED time of expiration, that that can always be tweaked based on necessity/availability as we have all seen with various exams thats been extended time and time again due to shortage of staff and no other available list to pull from. This list is a prime example of how they can extend any list as they see fit. This list has been claimed to be expired quite a few times and evidence showed otherwise. 

1 hour ago, NJMike73 said:

I was down there physically at 180 on February 2nd and was told the list has been extended for a whole year, one of the workers who appoints people to the position of C/R  told me that, that information came from the “queen mother of conductors” whoever that lady is lol 

9 hours ago, NJMike73 said:

My guy you need to stop unless you work in HR for the MTA. You need to stop telling us these false statements.  If you look at past comment on this forum there has been people on here acting like they work for HR saying the same exact nonsense that you are saying end ended up look silly and also had some people not take the OPA making them losing out on a big opportunity. As far as I know and it says in bold letters in the letter that was mailed. If you got a letter from the MTA to take the OPA exam and you pass it, you will go through the process of drug screening and medical to be hired for the conductor position.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, NJMike73 said:

The list has not been closed yet. It has been extended to 2025 as per DCAS's Civil Service page.

Edited by Cait Sith

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, NJMike73 said:

this exam is not listed on dcas any more it was removed and transit  exam unit closed it

I'm going to need you to stop lying before you get the boot from this forum. You keep posting misinformation without proof.

This is straight from DCAS themselves. As you can clearly see, it has an extension date up to next year.

Look it up yourself if you'd like - https://data.cityofnewyork.us/widgets/vx8i-nprf

Screenshot2024-03-05at17-16-07CivilServiceList(Active)NYCOpenData.thumb.png.af459f145d3c65249fd6347a1dcde6e7.png

Edited by Cait Sith

18 hours ago, DBoss said:

My guy you need to stop unless you work in HR for the MTA. You need to stop telling us these false statements.  If you look at past comment on this forum there has been people on here acting like they work for HR saying the same exact nonsense that you are saying end ended up look silly and also had some people not take the OPA making them losing out on a big opportunity. As far as I know and it says in bold letters in the letter that was mailed. If you got a letter from the MTA to take the OPA exam and you pass it, you will go through the process of drug screening and medical to be hired for the conductor position.

Wait some people were convinced to not take the OPA?! Oh my goodness that is crazy 

34 minutes ago, NJMike73 said:

this exam is not listed on dcas any more it was removed and transit  exam unit closed it

If you’re gonna keep saying that, provide proof. People on here might take your word and think they missed their opportunity. Somebody else on here was consistently saying for years this same thing and it was FALSE. Please don’t come back here with this misinformation unless you have LEGIT PROOF of it. 

18 hours ago, DBoss said:

They can still reinstate themselves on DCAS and go from there. Wouldn't be the first time someone missed getting an email/letter/call. That said, people had been hired on the previous list that lasted for eight years so yea who knows.

On the other hand, we already have two promotional conductor exams and those people deserve to move up from their title as well.

3 hours ago, NJMike73 said:

Were about have a lot of guys hit retirement from a serious hiring push around the turn of the millennium. 

we NEED bodies in Schoolcar NOW. We NEED Extra Extra conductors NOW.

so that once these guys start putting thier papers in, there will be people to fill the gaps. Turnover is so high, it is a serious possibility people like Goliver and I could have full, straight picked jobs before we hit top pay.

They are not going to do something counterproductive to that end such as stopping hiring and ending the list.