R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

57 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

Their old, unreliable and break down often, and most of the ones in service either have a dead motor, bad brakes, or both. a few weeks ago they took a r46 N out of service at ditmars because it had 3 dead motors in a row in the front of the train and every time it would brake the damn thing would lunge forward, im surprised they even made it to ditmars

If y’all 🛑 😭 about service, maybe these cars won’t break down often. Ya can’t take care of new buses neither. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

There is 👎 city in the 🇺🇸 that can outwit the (MTA) none! 

(SEPTA)‘s MFL M-4s are wearing out and they’re 26 years old. They need new cars for them and extra trains on the Broad St Line. 

WMATA’s Metrorail had their issues with their 7000 series subway cars and the system’s accident prone. 

CTA & MBTA has issues with CRRC. 

maybe small town buses are ranked better, except they operate every 60 minutes. 

just be patient & wait, because 💰 doesn’t grow on 🌳

I think AdTranz did something wrong...

2 hours ago, Ale188 said:

Why is everyone happy that the 46s are gonna retire? What did they do to you to think that?

The Jamaica and Coney Island car fleet swap. What else? Overall, I’m a super fan of the older cars. Trust me, I am and have always been. I’m overall sort of a “classic man”. Lmao. The 75 footers just don’t happen to fall into that category for me.

Never liked them on the (A) either but I dealt with them.

Edited by Jemorie

Here’s the thing. One the one hand we are talking about nearly 50 year old cars, built by a company that no longer exists, using out of date technology that no one supports.

On the other hand, brand new, state of the art equipment that is under warranty and form whom replacement parts can easily be purchased.

we are also still dealing with the effects of a massive supply chain disruption caused by COVID.

we cannot keep the R46s running forever as they are and we are not getting the R211s fast enough.

some of the 46s have to go to support the others. This is just a fact. We do not have the resources to build every single replacement part we might need ourselves.

Why is everyone happy that the 46s are gonna retire? What did they do to you to think that?

They’re rusted. they’re leaking. the heat sucks. I have to half kneel on the seat to do my job. somebody with no brain put the crew doors at the number 2 end. I can’t train line unlock the storm doors without leaving my key in the slot. The destination sign controllers are half busted.

and possibly the most annoying thing about them is they only have one buzzer button per cab, on the operating console. All other car classes I’m trained on have at least three, one on the console and one on each set of door controls.

most starting stations where I’m on the offside

“stand clear of the closing doors please”.
Close rear section.

Check for indication the rear is locked

Close front section.

Check for indication the front is locked

Sweep back to front.

Turn key control key to “run”.

Give my partner the two long buzzer signals and off we go.

r46s, when I turn the key to “run” and I’m on the left side, I have to run over to the console, give the two buzzes and then run back before my partner takes power because they sometimes forget to give me a second to get back.

I think its mostly railfans that are happy, I rode the R211 the day it debuted in revenue service and some riders asked "well where are you gonna sit?" (in regards to the reduced seating). I don't think A & C line riders mind the R46s.

IMO there isn't much of a jump in passenger comfort from the R46 to the R211. 

From a passenger perspective the only pros the R211 has over the R46 is..

FIND

Automated announcements 

that's about it lol

The R46 has more seating, I don't like standing so I like the R46s more. 

Growing up The 75 FT (specifically the 44s and 46s ) cars felt like luxury subway cars compared to the R32 - R42 to me, it made the (A) line seem so much cooler than the (C) which used those loud and raw R32s. R44/46s had smooth stops and quiet interiors. 

I do realize they are old, in poor condition and need to be retired but I like the R46s, been riding them regularly since the early 2000s. They still ride smoothly and have quiet interiors. 

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I think its mostly railfans that are happy, I rode the R211 the day it debuted in revenue service and some riders asked "well where are you gonna sit?" (in regards to the reduced seating). I don't think A & C line riders mind the R46s.

FIND

Automated announcements 

that's about it lol

Growing up The 75 FT (specifically the 44s and 46s ) cars felt like luxury subway cars compared to the R32 - R42 to me, it made the (A) line seem so much cooler than the (C) which used those loud and raw R32s. R44/46s had smooth stops and quiet interiors. 

I do realize they are old, in poor condition and need to be retired but I like the R46s, been riding them regularly since the early 2000s. They still ride smoothly and have quiet interiors. 

As a somewhat regular A train rider the R211 is a big improvement. They are smoother, have better lighting, have better rush hour capacity, much better announcements (even if they are underwhelming), better signage, and they generally go faster. I do agree about the seating issue though, but them starting to retire is probably for the best. 

48 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

As a somewhat regular A train rider the R211 is a big improvement. They are smoother, have better lighting, have better rush hour capacity, much better announcements (even if they are underwhelming), better signage, and they generally go faster. I do agree about the seating issue though, but them starting to retire is probably for the best. 

I think this is why the married pair R46s haven't gotten LED Interior Lighting, as 92 Cars (23 4-Car) R46s have only gotten them, which could signify that they truly are going first.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

FIND

Automated announcements 

that's about it lol

They don’t mind those lame boring and dull ass 75 footers that you love so much because both lines got new cars permanently. It first started with the 160s, then 179s and now 211s. What are you going on about LMAOOOOO.

All of the 60 foot cars will always be superior to the 75 footers. Kiss them 46s goodbye when the time comes. 🥳 🎉 

47 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

Yeah, the signage is better on the 211s as R46s with messed up signs seem to be pretty common.

9 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

They don’t mind those lame boring and dull ass 75 footers that you love so much because both lines got new cars permanently. It first started with the 160s, then 179s and now 211s. What are you going on about LMAOOOOO.

All of the 60 foot cars will always be superior to the 75 footers. Kiss them 46s goodbye when the time comes. 🥳 🎉 

Yes good riddance to those cars 

9 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yes good riddance to those cars 

Indeed. Although I’m overall a devoted fan of the SMEE 60 footers, given that I’m more into the 2000s and 2010s eras of the subway system (in other words, a trip down to memory lane), I have nothing against the NTT 60 footers.

Let’s see how the R211 order continues to come along as time passes.

Edited by Jemorie

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

FIND

Automated announcements 

that's about it lol

Personally, one of the biggests reasons for me at least why if the (D) gets R211's would be a dealbreaker is because of the lack of seats. It's like you said, the 75 footers felt like luxury subway cars and I'm hoping when the (D) gets NTT's, it would hopefully be the R160's or even out of nowhere the R179's.

Haven't heard much positive things when it came to the R211 from operators mainly not cause of the cameras which I'm surprised a bunch of people think that's the case (it isn't), but moreso of how it feels to operate especially the positioning of the throttle and the tight spacing between max braking and just straight up dumping the train. Those are really the only complaints I've heard, I still have yet to ride the R211 and I doubt I would any time soon since I literally have no reason to ever ride the (A)

14 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So what happened to the A-A-B-A set?

6206-6207-6208-6210 was the past set. Its changed 4-car set is 6206-6207 paired up with 6152-6153 due to the 125 St derailment. 6150-6151 were scrapped. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

6206-6207-6208-6210 was the past set. Its changed 4-car set is 6206-6207 paired up with 6152-6153 due to the 125 St derailment. 6150-6151 were scrapped. 

Forgot to add, 6206-6207 can be paired up with any A-A set back then but after the incident. It's converted to its said 4-car set. 

Video from Fan Railer 

------------------

To this said thread: we have 7 trains at Pitkin Yard for now: 6 in-service with 1 testing so far expected to be in service next month. And, Pitkin Yard has 20 tech trains for the (A) (r179 included). 

Edited by Calvin