R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Yeah, you can't say a word about it at this point as that could be considered tampering.

whoops my bad... 

That's what Non-disclosure means. Not a PEEP. 

At any rate, it's pretty obvious who some of the bidders are:

-Alstom

-Kawasaki

-Bombardier (regardless of the fact that they probably won't get the contract)

-CRRC

-Siemens (maybe)

and which one was the worst between the 2 of the chinese one CRRC or CSR IINM CSR? 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw that, thanks.  I must say, why is it taking them so long to review the proposals?  Given the scope of this contract in terms of timing and engineering--along with recent events--you'd think it'd be a fairly clear cut decision.  Bombardier can't be trusted, and the Chinese haven't built anything in the US as of today.

Why is this over a billion dollars? :blink:

Last I checked, when 1 million has three more zeros that equals one billion.

Didn't it start at $470 million?

That's more bloated than me after eating an entire pizza pie.

You're forgetting that the R160 contract was worth over $2 billion with all the options exercised...

Edited by Fan Railer

$470 million is just for the pilot cars. With all options exercised, it will be over a billion...

Let's look at the true options here, due to the law that requires train cars to be built or partially built in America, CRRC may not get the NYC contract because they have their hands full with Chicago and Boston, and the NYC has specific timeframes needing to be met, which CRRC has no merit or previous works that can show they can produce a large number of cars in a short amount of time. PLUS, the factories that CRRC are building are no where near completed and NYC needs cars desperately. I would expect it to either be, Alstom, Kawasaki, Kawasaki-Alstom Merge(Like on the R160 Order which was a similar number of cars "1600 ish" and they proved to get it done at a reasonable rate) or even Siemens, they're building themselves a good reputation with the Charger for BrightLine.

Edited by jamesman8

Old news, but also slightly misleading. CSR Sifang has nothing to do with the MBTA order, only the CTA's. Despite CSR merging with CNR, they still operate as separate arms. CSR was actually disqualified from the MBTA's procurement process.

and who was it that won the Los Angeles Contract the Merged company or was it CSR/CNR?

CRRC Changchun, the same arm that's building the MBTA cars. They are the ones with the better reputation.

Edited by swtat

I know this map is just for the ESI at 53rd Street, but wouldn't this be a good design for the improved FIND display on the R211?

(photo: j express)

20597403_1452165731539629_80187166535617

The color of the line would change for each line with the bullet in the top left corner. The grey portion would represent the part of the line you already passed (or just not be there)

I know this map is just for the ESI at 53rd Street, but wouldn't this be a good design for the improved FIND display on the R211?

The color of the line would change for each line with the bullet in the top left corner. The grey portion would represent the part of the line you already passed (or just not be there)

That’s going to be one massive LED panel then.

It looks like its the same size as the IRT strip maps with the lights.

Which is roughly the same size as the FIND displays already.  And given the current specs for the R211s which call for multiple LED displays in each car, I think that would be a great and practical idea.  Remember, LED screen technology is dirt cheap nowadays as opposed to when the R160s were designed/built.

I like that original look, but that wouldn't work on an LED display. It would have to be LCD.

Which is roughly the same size as the FIND displays already.  And given the current specs for the R211s which call for multiple LED displays in each car, I think that would be a great and practical idea.  Remember, LED screen technology is dirt cheap nowadays as opposed to when the R160s were designed/built.

LED wasn't really that expensive when the R160's were introduced either. We had already started used them on buses, and because of the size of the order they were fairly cheap.

I like that original look, but that wouldn't work on an LED display. It would have to be LCD.

LED wasn't really that expensive when the R160's were introduced either. We had already started used them on buses, and because of the size of the order they were fairly cheap.

Does that mean they'd be even more cheap than they would usually be now? It's still a very large order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it too soon to start assigning equipment to the (T)? That's phase 3 (below 63rd), and I don't even hear that being forecasted yet. Now, they seem to be saying phase 2 will face delays. So that will be more decades.

Phase 2 is delayed to to lack of funds, and if you want it built correctly, then heres what you do....

A middle non-revenue track should be built between 106 Street and 116 Street stations where they will have side platforms up until 120 or 121 Street. Past that, a new connection to Lexington Avenue under 125 Street should be built, with the Manhattan Local track splitting into 2 at 120 Street with one track going up to an employee 125 Street Station where it will meet with the middle track using a double crossover switch just south of the employee station. past 116 Street station. A single crossover switch will be installed so that in case capacity is full at 125 Street station, (Q) trains and future (T) trains can terminate at 116 Street so that they can connect to this employee station and rest at the middle track. this  proposal is similar to 111 Street on the (7) line.

I'm starting to think the R211s might already be RETIRED before the full second avenue subway project is complete [emoji19][emoji19][emoji19][emoji19][emoji19][emoji19][emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the point of completing the Second Avenue Subway??? The only thing we need from this line is A third storage track at phase 2, express tracks at phase 3 and a better integration with the existing system. If the current SAS stays the way it is, it's going to be the most expensive mistake the city has ever made

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Anyways, I think the R211 should only be assigned to the (A) and (R) trains, and maybe the (C)

What's the point of completing the Second Avenue Subway??? The only thing we need from this line is A third storage track at phase 2, express tracks at phase 3 and a better integration with the existing system. If the current SAS stays the way it is, it's going to be the most expensive mistake the city has ever made

I think phrase 2 should be enough for now. Only thing needed is to keep the storage track at 116 St and make it side platforms as well as the necessary bellmouths. Everything else I could accept.

Anyways, back to the R211's, They should be 5 car sets and 5 car sets only. R179's will currently be on the (A)(C)(J) and (Z) lines. Once R211's come in and replace ALL R32's and R42's and some R46's, all R179 (C) trains can go on the (J) and (Z) and the (C) can have someone R211's. The rest of the R211's can go on the (A)(R) Rockaway (S) and (SIR), if any extra R211's come in then .......

They could go on the (D) or replace the R68 on the (N)(W) or the (S) in Franklin Avenue

Anyways, back to the R211's, They should be 5 car sets and 5 car sets only. R179's will currently be on the (A)(C)(J) and (Z) lines. Once R211's come in and replace ALL R32's and R42's and some R46's, all R179 (C) trains can go on the (J) and (Z) and the (C) can have someone R211's. The rest of the R211's can go on the (A)(R) Rockaway (S) and (SIR), if any extra R211's come in then .......

They could go on the (D) or replace the R68 on the (N)(W) or the (S) in Franklin Avenue

If all of the 4 car 179's go to the J/Z what are you going to do with the surplus of R160A-1's? Also, the R68's don't need to be replaced in the immediate future either so why are you putting them on the D?

Your plan doesn't make sense nor is it worth it financially.

If all of the 4 car 179's go to the J/Z what are you going to do with the surplus of R160A-1's? Also, the R68's don't need to be replaced in the immediate future either so why are you putting them on the D?

Your plan doesn't make sense nor is it worth it financially.

The Additional R160-A 1 sets will just increase capacity or sit out while other trains operate, what do you think I'm supposed to do, put them on the (G)??? Cause that'll be weird

The Additional R160-A 1 sets will just increase capacity or sit out while other trains operate, what do you think I'm supposed to do, put them on the (G)??? Cause that'll be weird

Operations planning isn't done based on whether or not something will be weird to transit fans; they're done based on what's practical and makes the most sense. One again, your suggestions don't make sense.