A/C Train Review Almost Near to Completion and Service Changes Upcoming

fanrailerz

I Don't know if this was posted anywhere so Ill post it.

December 11th, 2015

Customers who take the A, C lines know they can be crowded and take a while to get to their destination, but improvements are on the way following a New York City Transit full, end-to-end review.

This is the fourth such comprehensive study joining previous reviews of the f.pngl.png, and g.png lines. New York City Transit (NYCT) examined all elements of the lines’ operations in order to improve service reliability, regularity, and customer convenience. Some of the recommendations in the review have already been implemented, and NYCT will continue to implement many of the recommendations over the course of 2016.

Combined, the a.png and c.png serve 800,000 customers a day and the a.png connects with every other subway line in the system except the 6.png. The local c.png train serves stations from 168 St. in Washington Heights to Euclid Av in the East New York section of Brooklyn. a.png service begins at 207 St in Inwood and ends at three terminals in southeast Queens: Ozone Park-Lefferts Blvd, Far Rockaway-Mott Av, and Rockaway Park-Beach 116 St. The longest line in the New York City subway system, the a.png stretches more than 32 miles between 207 St and Mott Av...............

Read more here

Source: http://www.mta.info/news-c-subway/2015/12/11/detailed-study-system%E2%80%99s-longest-subway-line-identifies-opportunities

And as of now, there are no plans I see to lengthen the (C) to 600' trains.  That is important because although not generally thought of, keeping (C) trains at 480 feet allow for the (C) to be diverted if ever needed to the Eastern Division and run via the (M) and then (J).  That is the kind of operational flexibility that needs to be kept in the system.

And as of now, there are no plans I see to lengthen the (C) to 600' trains. That is important because although not generally thought of, keeping (C) trains at 480 feet allow for the (C) to be diverted if ever needed to the Eastern Division and run via the (M) and then (J). That is the kind of operational flexibility that needs to be kept in the system.

With the amount of backup terminals the (C) can use, when well there EVER be a need for the (C) to head out to BMT East?

With the amount of backup terminals the (C) can use, when well there EVER be a need for the (C) to head out to BMT East?

Why would the (C) GO to the east division? also what will be the real result tinker this and that, cause i know the real result for the (C) is those hipsters protested about new cars and got it for once.

Having the (C) run to the Eastern Division does little more than fulfill a persistent Wallyhorse fantasy. The minor gains made by having a direct 8th Avenue-Jamaica service are offset by the increased number of merging delays at W 4 Street and Broadway-Lafayette St. We already have a direct midtown-East service; it's called the (M). Riders seeking 8th Avenue can transfer at W 4 Street for service.

Having the (C) run to the Eastern Division does little more than fulfill a persistent Wallyhorse fantasy. The minor gains made by having a direct 8th Avenue-Jamaica service are offset by the increased number of merging delays at W 4 Street and Broadway-Lafayette St. We already have a direct midtown-East service; it's called the (M). Riders seeking 8th Avenue can transfer at W 4 Street for service.

Just like the (M) to 145th Street idea he made.

Just like the (M) to 145th Street idea he made.

Actually, one of his fantasy ideas came up in a recent dream of mine. In a subway train there was half of a messed up late night subway map in the subway car. It was in the regular subway map colors, and the brown J M and Z were serving Fourth Avenue. What a nightmare!

I have been riding the (C) for almost a decade now, and it's a major pain. Always constantly stopping at the middle of the platform. Perhaps the MTA should consider about making the (C) fleet 600 feet while they're constructing the R179, so that people don't have to end up running up from the platform end to catch the train door.

I have been riding the (C) for almost a decade now, and it's a major pain. Always constantly stopping at the middle of the platform. Perhaps the MTA should consider about making the (C) fleet 600 feet while they're constructing the R179, so that people don't have to end up running up from the platform end to catch the train door.

it is not worth the cost, have your read the report?

it is not worth the cost, have your read the report?

If I didn't read the report, there wouldn't a response here. Just saying that instead of matching the 480ft trains stopping point to the 600s, just try to make the trains for the line 600ft, since both the (A) & (C) ride on the same line.

The (MTA) Introduced the idea of an (A) / (E) merge at 42 street, with the (C) becoming Manhattan local from 168 to World Trade, and the E becoming Manhattan express and Brooklyn local. Do any of you see that as happening in the near future?

*Please correct me if this is the wrong topic for this post.

The (MTA) Introduced the idea of an (A) / (E) merge at 42 street, with the (C) becoming Manhattan local from 168 to World Trade, and the E becoming Manhattan express and Brooklyn local. Do any of you see that as happening in the near future?

No, because of track layout, capacity and/or ridership purposes. I doubt the relay at Euclid could handle 15 tph on the (E) and the Cranberry Tube can't handle the relatively high rush hour frequencies on both the (A) and (E). One of them actually runs 18 tph in one direction during the peak.

No, because of track layout, capacity and/or ridership purposes. I doubt the relay at Euclid could handle 15 tph on the (E) and the Cranberry Tube can't handle the relatively high rush hour frequencies on both the (A) and (E). One of them actually runs 18 tph in one direction during the peak.

As I previously noted about this, what I would so during peak periods so the (E) could perhaps replace the (C) in Brooklyn and eliminate the mergers at Canal (even possibly in this scenario with the (E) to Brooklyn at all times (extended late nights to Lefferts to eliminate the overnight shuttle) and the (C) running 2-3 TPH overnights):

Trains going to Euclid Avenue during rush hours are marked (E) and run on the express track in Manhattan as they would at all times.

Trains short-turning at Chambers (including ALL trains to/from 179th) are designated as <E> and run on the local track in Manhattan, supplementing the (C) in midtown.  

If I didn't read the report, there wouldn't a response here. Just saying that instead of matching the 480ft trains stopping point to the 600s, just try to make the trains for the line 600ft, since both the (A) & (C) ride on the same line.

The R179 order would have to be restructured for more cars, which is not happening.

The flexibility of the C being 8 cars is incredibly valuable for the eastern division, although I do not think there is much of a chance that the C will be sent to the eastern division.

Think of it this way- If we were to have a need to repeat the 9/11 service pattern- say the Manhattan bridge had to be shut down long term- It could be incredibly valuable to be able to run the J through to brooklyn. Without 240 foot sets somewhere, it would be practically impossible in the short term to do so. That they are normally on the C specifically is of no particular value, but I don't see a better place to run them.

Why would the (C) GO to the east division? also what will be the real result tinker this and that, cause i know the real result for the (C) is those hipsters protested about new cars and got it for once.

You guys kill him too much.

Considering (C) trains have gone to 71 Avenue before, having the ability to reroute the (C) via Chrystie and the ability to platform said (C) train is a nice flexibility to have.He never said the post that he wanted the (C) to run regular service over the (J)(M).

What hipsters, where? The decidedly adult upper-middle-class UWS has complained about the R32s for years, and Gene Russianoff's excellent Straphangers' Campaign mounted a successful effort to change equipment. There are no "hipsters" behind this switch.

What hipsters, where? The decidedly adult upper-middle-class UWS has complained about the R32s for years, and Gene Russianoff's excellent Straphangers' Campaign mounted a successful effort to change equipment. There are no "hipsters" behind this switch.

i thought it was from the brooklyn end with that stupid classic 1950's costume outfit protest a few months ago?

You guys kill him too much.

Considering (C) trains have gone to 71 Avenue before, having the ability to reroute the (C) via Chrystie and the ability to platform said (C) train is a nice flexibility to have.He never said the post that he wanted the (C) to run regular service over the (J)(M).

That was because it happened at a point where (C) trains couldn't be turned anywhere else up north.

Even if there was ever a need to send the (C) via Chrystie, 2 Av is right there to turn them back so it would make it pointless.

Nope it was Riders Alliance from Brooklyn who complained not the Upper West Side residents.

Archived