New sbs routes Mta bus

limitednyc

this months mta agenda {i don't know how to post link)

Here you go: http://web.mta.info/mta/budget/pdf/MTA_2016_Budget_and_2016-2019_Financial_Plan_Adoption_Materials.pdf#page=99

SBS Routes: Two Select Bus Service (SBS) routes starting in 2016, the Q25 and Q70 will have start-up costs including: Fare machine purchase, fare maching installation, fare machine decals, bus wraps and eagle team ramp-up costs (MOU with NYCT); Annual cost: fare machine maintenance and Eagle team (MOU with NYCT) .

Honestly this sounds like they are using the budget that was meant for the Woodhaven SBS on these easier to convert routes.

Besides the Q70 already functions as a SBS just another title change similar to the S79.

And as far as the Q25 goes I would compare its turns to that of the B6(there was a study on it for SBS too.) 

The Q25 was talked about alongside the Q44 at public meetings for Jamaica-to-Flushing SBS, and in the North East Queens Comprehensive Bus Study it said that the Q25 would become SBS "soon after the Q44" or something like that.

Would the Q70 SBS have any bus lanes in the first place? At least the cost won't be so much, since there are machines within LGA. 

They'd still have to make separate machines. What's stupid is that those machines can't have more than 1 variant of a route for some dumb reason, hence why the M16 was changed to the M34A.

They need to get a better system for those machines.

As for bus lanes, I doubt it. I can see it getting signal priority, but not bus lanes.

They'd still have to make separate machines. What's stupid is that those machines can't have more than 1 variant of a route for some dumb reason, hence why the M16 was changed to the M34A.

As for bus lanes, I doubt it. I can see it getting signal priority, but not bus lanes.

Very interesting... For all of the hype about the 34th street getting SBS service, I find the frequencies to be horrible.  Even with the M34 and M34A combined, the wait times are pathetic.  

There's no way they could do separate machines, as it would add extra confusion to the already not-great information delivery at the airport. Since the staff teaching the public about Q44 SBS now tell us that we can freely get a paper receipt but then just hop on a 20 if it comes first, they're going to let people get a ticket from the M60 machine and get on the Q70. Yeah, I know they're different agencies, but they'll create some account for both together and divy up the money based on ridership counts or something.

There's no way they could do separate machines, as it would add extra confusion to the already not-great information delivery at the airport. Since the staff teaching the public about Q44 SBS now tell us that we can freely get a paper receipt but then just hop on a 20 if it comes first, they're going to let people get a ticket from the M60 machine and get on the Q70. Yeah, I know they're different agencies, but they'll create some account for both together and divy up the money based on ridership counts or something.

If we were to use that logic that you said, the M34A would still be the M16, which it's not because of the fault in the system with the SBS machines. Until they get a better system for these SBS tickets, they'll have to make some more machines and separate them from the M60. If they were to check fare revenue between the M60 and the Q70 if folks managed to get tickets for one or the other and hop on one or the other, they would be inaccurate.

If we were to use that logic that you said, the M34A would still be the M16, which it's not because of the fault in the system with the SBS machines. Until they get a better system for these SBS tickets, they'll have to make some more machines and separate them from the M60. If they were to check fare revenue between the M60 and the Q70 if folks managed to get tickets for one or the other and hop on one or the other, they would be inaccurate.

And I am saying that I think in the intervening 4 years since the 34 launched, they have realized that they just have to let it go and let people do whatever is easiest. Just a couple of years ago when I first saw the staff at the launch of an SBS (can't remember which one), they were adamant about not getting the receipt and then instead getting on the local and handing the receipt to the driver. "You are not allowed to do that!" - - Fast forward to the launch of the Q44 and now the staff that were there for the launch are telling us "Sure, get the receipt when you first arrive at the bus stop, and then if one of the 20's comes first, you can just hop on that one with your receipt." - - They changed their policy. Maybe they didn't broadcast it, but it is definitely not the same strict fare policy they used to spout. They must have gotten over this issue by now, given up, and decided that it's not worth it and it'll just be part of reality for them.

The other day somebody got on my q65 bus and showed me a paper.....I was like what is that? The fare is $2.75 was the next thing out of my mouth....so she swiped a metro card that had a transfer, and went and sat down....so if you have a transfer why show me the receipt?...

The other day somebody got on my q65 bus and showed me a paper.....I was like what is that? The fare is $2.75 was the next thing out of my mouth....so she swiped a metro card that had a transfer, and went and sat down....so if you have a transfer why show me the receipt?...

trying to see if you'd accept it

Hey remember they are planing the merger 

Couldn't a machine technically just print out something like M60/Q70 at only the LaGuardia stop?

As for bus lanes on a highway, nope. Shoulder-running? Maybe. With all the express buses we have, I'm surprised New York doesn't have shoulder-running buses.

Couldn't a machine technically just print out something like M60/Q70 at only the LaGuardia stop?

As for bus lanes on a highway, nope. Shoulder-running? Maybe. With all the express buses we have, I'm surprised New York doesn't have shoulder-running buses.

There's HOV lanes instead

Hey remember they are planing the merger

Sorry, I don't know enough about how the agencies and their finances work to know what the merger would do. So once they've merged then this wouldn't matter. Which will come first, the merger or the new fare payment system? I know they are moving forward on both, but they were both supposed to be done years ago, right?

As for bus lanes on a highway, nope. Shoulder-running? Maybe. With all the express buses we have, I'm surprised New York doesn't have shoulder-running buses.

If it was programmed as one, it could, I think.

But I would think that it would mix up fare revenue factors for both lines.

Archived