What is The Fastest NYC subway car

R3216068E

Everything is mechanically geared to take off at the same rate of speed (empty weight), and is all limited to 55 mph on flat track. There are factors to all of that like passenger load, track condition, and distance needed to reach that top end.

R143 and R160 are faster than all older subway cars R32/R42/R46/R68s in B Division.

R142/R142A/r188 are faster than R62/r62A in A Division.

I think R143 and R160 maybe faster than R142/R142A/R188.

Non NTT's feel like they go faster probably because they buck around more but I guess NTT's probably actually do go faster.

Everything is mechanically geared to take off at the same rate of speed (empty weight), and is all limited to 55 mph on flat track. There are factors to all of that like passenger load, track condition, and distance needed to reach that top end.

Why does everyone keep ignoring this post and claiming that the NTTs are faster?

It may also be about what the passenger sees and feels. If the traction motors scream, or if the track is in a bad way, causing the car to sway from side to side, it may seem to you that the car is going at unbelievably fast speeds, even though it's not.

Why does everyone keep ignoring this post and claiming that the NTTs are faster?

It may also be about what the passenger sees and feels. If the traction motors scream, or if the track is in a bad way, causing the car to sway from side to side, it may seem to you that the car is going at unbelievably fast speeds, even though it's not.

The (B) really struggles to accelerate as fast as the (Q). You can’t explain it away simply by repeating the same thing over and over.

Often, the (Q) is a few seconds from making a complete stop at the next local station before the (B) starts overtaking it if they both left from the same express station simultaneously. This is an objective visual observation and not one that is subjective.

To anyone reading this, take no truths or claim no knowledge from any of the previous posts.

From someone who has worked with every piece of revenue equipment in both divisions:

-All trains have a balancing speed of approximately 45 MPH.

-Due to grades (aka "DOWNHILL") it is possible for trains to go faster. Regardless, trains will not get much faster than 50 MPH in most locations in the system. There are only a handful where that is even possible, and it is possible to go even faster in the 60th St. Tube provided you take the timers a certain way. They've recalibrated them so they're not quite the same as they used to be, but you can still get a train close to 60 MPH in that location. Not specific to one type of equipment or the other.

-New Tech equipment "appears" faster to the untrained eye because they can sustain 2.5 mph per second acceleration longer than SMEE equipment, but they also do not maintain their acceleration well beyond 45 MPH since they are specifically programmed not to, and only a grade will help them beyond this. SMEE equipment performs better above 45 MPH as far as continuing to accelerate, unless you happen to get a tech train where the calibration is slightly off, and it allows for a higher speed.

Boom.

Did you forget about the R44?[/quote

That's probably when they first started to test R44 they r not so fast anymore. You probably never witnessed now riding inside of r160 against an r46 or r68, exp or loc they would both leave a station at the same time then u start seeing r160 pickup acceleration and beat r46 or r68 to the next station.

Did you forget about the R44?

not in the mood to re-type everything from a post I made a year or so ago, but the NTTs have more powerful motors. rated to 150 hp while the older trains are only 115. The 75 footers also have 8 fewer motors. the difference is quite substantial, about 3800 hp on the 68s where as an R160 is 6000 hp. Even on a ten car train, it's still 1,400 less on the older equipment. heck, an R160A-1 has more horsepower than a ten car train of older equipment. 

I knew about the sarcasm's thats why I said really, it seems like every year I hear so much praise for the tech trains like their the best thing to hit the market since corn flakes.

I knew it was only a matter of time before a real transit employee like SubwayGuy who has worked with these equipments, came on and set the record straight.

Nope. Just being a bit sarcastic. All trains have the same average speed no matter the size and year it was made. The only exception is one that was mentioned already, the R44s on the LIRR.

I knew about the sarcasm's thats why I said really, it seems like every year I hear so much praise for the tech trains like their the best thing to hit the market since corn flakes.

I knew it was only a matter of time before a real transit employee like SubwayGuy who has worked with these equipments, came on and set the record straight.

My apologies, it can be hard to detect sarcasm sometimes.

Fan Railer, RTOman, and SubwayGuy know what they're talking about. Read and re-read their posts and learn. Let me throw a few words into the convo for those who don't agree with the posters I singled out. Theory, programmed, weight, and governors. Apply that to all present day car classes as well as the now retired SMEE fleets. No matter what the theoretical horsepower of a car class is (or was) those four words, along with the signal system and track layout, are what determines how fast trains operate in today's system. Perception can play tricks on people but I'd venture a guess that an old, non-airconditioned, SMEE train and a NTT train running side by side on the Rockaway Flats or timed on a measured stretch of the Sea Beach line would surprise many of you folks. I know the T/Os out here know exactly what I'm saying.  Many years ago this topic came up on the forum and I related what we were told in schoolcar back then. There is no such thing as a stupid question about train operation but the OP question is misguided at best. The correct question, according to NYCT instructors, is how fast does a train stop.  Those who obsess over the first question will most likely never complete their probationary period was what they said back then.. My years pounding the road in the IRT proved them right. Carry on.

Archived