Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could have a huge moving walkway. You may not think it is as long, here are the facts tho.

The distance between Grand Central and Times Square is about 4/6 of a mile. The walking speed is about 3 miles per hour while the moving walkway is moving at about 3 mph. Therefore, the moving speed is 6 mph. This is only 6 minutes and 40 seconds. (Solved using V=d/t.)

You could have a huge moving walkway. You may not think it is as long, here are the facts tho.

The distance between Grand Central and Times Square is about 4/6 of a mile. The walking speed is about 3 miles per hour while the moving walkway is moving at about 3 mph. Therefore, the moving speed is 6 mph. This is only 6 minutes and 40 seconds. (Solved using V=d/t.)

How many people will just stand there and chat while blocking everyone else? …or how about tourists taking pictures? I say 3 mph of that is going to be negated by people simply not moving.

This has been proposed since about the 40's or 50's...

You could probably automate the Shuttle. It's a short line with short cars, so the TWU probably won't care, and it would be a great testing bed. The last time they did it though, the trains caught fire and they never spoke of it again.

Keep in mind that we're going to be relying on the MTA to keep this moving walkway(s, cause there are no moving walkways that exist that could handle that flow over that distance with a single walkway) working and reliable. I for one don't mind because the MTA has had such a great track record maintaining its elevators and bathrooms.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Brooklyn" data-cid="633742" data-time="1358457939"><p>

Again, my responses are not "fantasy" far from it.<br />

<br />

I gave other reasons why, but I guess you are selectively reading my posts....<br />

<br />

Part of it is to simply the system and make transfers easier too.<br />

<br />

I wanted the (J) station for a transfer to the (G)...this could help during GOs of the (L) line and (M)......I always felt that there should have been a transfer there anyway. This would give Williamsburg residents more options as well as give some (G) riders another means of getting to Manhattan other than the (A)(C)(E)(M) or (7).<br />

<br />

In the process, why not make Lorimer/Hewes into one station with that connection? (right on top at Union AV).<br />

<br />

For Beverly and Cortelyou, just one station serving both streets....Beverly is literally a long block away from Cortelyou at this point. It doesn't make sense. In the meantime, perhaps a bigger station with more stairs.<br />

<br />

I wanted a (D) station at 7th av because of the population and a somewhat large gap between stations from 36th to 9th av. But again, that station physically might not be possible since I have posters who presented <span class='bbc_underline'>physical EVIDENCE saying why that would be problematic rather than saying "it's too expensive" not only changing the subject, but with jack to back it up. </span></p></blockquote> I started a topic about a transfer btwn the (J) and the (G) last year. It wouldn't work because there isn't much ridership.

This has been proposed since about the 40's or 50's...

You could probably automate the Shuttle. It's a short line with short cars, so the TWU probably won't care, and it would be a great testing bed. The last time they did it though, the trains caught fire and they never spoke of it again.

Keep in mind that we're going to be relying on the MTA to keep this moving walkway(s, cause there are no moving walkways that exist that could handle that flow over that distance with a single walkway) working and reliable. I for one don't mind because the MTA has had such a great track record maintaining its elevators and bathrooms.

Lol, I'm sure those that uses the (G) at Court sq will 'agree' with that about the moving walkways. Though how many people are going to try to run in the opposite direction just for the fun of it? I know I'd be tempted to do that, lol. But for the distance from GCT to TS, just keep the shuttle as is. For the costs to cover the tracks with a platform and then installing the walkway, is it any cost effective over keeping the train? If you need a moving walkway, then install them for the corridor from the end of the shuttle to just outside the lexington av mezzanine.

Yeah and what happens when it breaks down and you have to walk the whole distance? what then? That's why the walkway idea replacing the train is stupid. For a vast distance like that why replace the train? If you want more people movers, then install them in the long walkways like TS to 8th av and the end of the GC S to Lex mezzanine. That's it, and leave the (S) alone.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Yeah and what happens when it breaks down and you have to walk the whole distance? what then? That's why the walkway idea replacing the train is stupid. For a vast distance like that why replace the train? If you want more people movers, then install them in the long walkways like TS to 8th av and the end of the GC S to Lex mezzanine. That's it, and leave the (S) alone.

There is just as much of a chance for something on the (S) to not work than for the thing to not work. It could be separated into multiple sections and if one section is out, the others are not.

The (7) can be faster to get to the 8th Avenue line from Grand Central.

The (S) is meant to be a short shuttle from Grand Central to Times Square (the busiest and second busiest stations in the system), and it's pretty well utilized - it's certainly not empty when it's running.

The (7) is a commuter line that connects the busiest and second-busiest stations with the tenth-busiest station in the city (which also happens to be the busiest station in the outer boroughs). It is pretty much a consensus that the (7) is overcrowded during the peak - hence, CBTC. If you shove the shuttle riders onto the (7), it would be a nightmare.

Not to mention, the (7) is located at a significantly lower level than the (S), so it would be more of a PITA to get to.

The (S) is not broken - why fix it?

They could do that idea from Grand Concourse from the outer end of GC to Lex Av Mezzazine... in 50 years or so. The (MTA) better spends there money on other things at this point, that walkway can be done whenever the hell that's feasible. But at this point, there are still gaps in the system, still stations that need a rehab (yes Chambers, I'm looking at you) and other projects like 2nd Ave line, 10th Ave station built instead of a shell or ESA for example. There is just no point in installing a walkway when clearly a lot of other things need to happen first, especially given the limited budget they have atm.

• 3 weeks later...

My fantasy services:

(U) Nassau Local terminating at Coney Island ( via West End )

(Y) Second Avenue Express

Open for suggestions!!!

Depends on where this (U) would originate from along the El...

I'm open for SAS express, but you'd need to add stops to the line for it to make sense...