Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Using existing track layouts, where around the system would you put new stations that never had them before?

One place I can think of is Allerton Av on the (5) line. Still some good distance from Gun Hill and while NIMBYish it would make yet another alternate Co-op station (along with Baychester/Pelham/Gun Hill)

I think this was the purpose of the thread.....

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The IND designed their lines to carry people from far-flung corners of the 5 boroughs to the central business district. It made sense to skip a lot of stops between the ends of the lines and the central business district, and it made sense to concentrate all the stops everywhere else. Have a look at the Queens Boulevard line and the 8 Avenue line.
In addition, I'd like readers to consider this scenario: the (Q) goes up 2 Avenue and ends up skipping 49 Street full time. This station which should have been an express station (given how the MTA handles Broadway currently) loses a third or more of the trains passing through it. On average, a third of the riders would need to make a transfer and/or walk from another station. This single station is used by over 8 million riders annually (and rising). To affect nearly the same amount of people in an outer borough like Brooklyn, you'd need to do something like make 2 out of every 3 (D) trains run express between 9 Avenue and Bay Parkway.

My point: express service is a disservice to riders getting on and off in the central business district, but a useful service outside of there provided there is a ridership to support it.

You have fallen under his influence, Threxx. I don't know why I can't make an idea without him declaring it "foam".

Wow you are delusional. Shoot I thought some users around here were crazy, but you outdid all of them. Look go to the hospital and get your head checked, cause your not making sense at all bud. I also didn't understand a word you said in your past posts. By the way learn to stop disrespecting users that actually work for the MTA instead of posing as an imaginary MTA employee and preaching your lame ass fantasies around the forum. Same goes for a few other users around here. 

Edited by DJ MC

But this Snowblock thinks he has all the power in the world... what an b******' a**hole. Like feen…

Wait, WHAT did I say that set you off?

The one thing I do wonder is why TA personnel continue to post and read what goes on here while they don't like wha's being said or the essence of being a subway buff.

I'm beginning to wonder the same thing myself. Maybe it's time to move on to a new hobby for me.....

You have fallen under his influence, Threxx. I don't know why I can't make an idea without him declaring it "foam".

That would be a lot more convincing if you didn't declare a whole bunch of things "foam" in the past:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/38743-a-park-—-instead-of-rail-—-inches-forward-in-queens/?p=623881

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/26455-subway-random-thoughts-thread/?p=624415

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39010-state-commission-to-recommand-ways-to-seal-off-the-subways/?p=629739

I'm beginning to wonder the same thing myself. Maybe it's time to move on to a new hobby for me.....

No new hobby for you this is what you do... POST and DRIVE. Also the MTA should make a station between 8th St NYU and Prince St, make it 4th St (N)(R)

That's why I've taken this in stride, can't educate the world and expect all on here to pull a MikeGerald and completely learn everything about how rail works, trains work, the geology of NYC when it comes to the subway, and become a subway history buff first before posting anything (that's a lot of information that takes years to fully learn and synergize).  Some will never completely get it until they become TA personnel themselves (assuming they're old enough to become one).  Then you throw in the fact that turning a hobby into a career (monetizing it) often takes the fun out of the hobby, which is why some still won't do it.

Edited by TwoTimer

I'm still trying to figure out how or why you would have a 39th street station on the (1) when the 42nd street station has exits/entrances that span down to West 40th street on 7th Av...??  :huh: I'm no subway buff, but I've used the subway enough in my lifetime to know that some of these ideas just don't make any sense.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Then you throw in the fact that turning a hobby into a career (monetizing it) often takes the fun out of the hobby, which is why some still won't do it.

No way, I still have fun at work (almost) every day. It's hearing nutty ideas like most of the one in here that hurt my head because I understand better than most of you how they just won't work. Don't take it personally when I shoot down your idea, I'm just trying to return you to the real world.

Don't worry, I for one am glad there are some people willing to take their time to try to reason out why such and such plan makes no sense. If not for that the 'off the wall' fantasies will never end and spin out of control.

The attack on you earlier shows you are getting to them, lol.

Edited by Grand Concourse

No way, I still have fun at work (almost) every day. It's hearing nutty ideas like most of the one in here that hurt my head because I understand better than most of you how they just won't work. Don't take it personally when I shoot down your idea, I'm just trying to return you to the real world.

Yup, its a pleasure when its still fun monetizing your hobby, but we're clearly in the minority.