Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

This has been discussed before. It could definitely work but you could be holding trains up at Queensboro Plaza clearing ppl out. Also, the main problem might be those trains can't fit into the schedule at 60th street tube.

Edited by danielhg121

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been discussed before. It could definitely work but you could be holding trains up at Queensboro Plaza clearing ppl out. Also, the main problem might be those trains can't fit into the schedule at 60th street tube.

Even if they could fit into the 60 Street Tunnel, the said holding of trains to clear them out would decrease capacity meaning you would be right back to where you started.

if this has been discussed ok but would there be any problems say switching the (F) back to 53rd street and have the (M) go to 63rd street and weekends have half of the (F) trains go there cause i saw an article where when the (F) was moved to 63rd street it was very controversial 

Last week, there were two express trains (the E and the F) running along Queens Boulevard to 53rd Street and Lexington Avenue, the station where many people catch the Lexington line. Now, there is only one express (the E) and a local (the V) going to that popular station. And the other express (the F) detours to a less popular station, 63rd and Lexington, where you cannot transfer to the Lexington Avenue Line without walking outside for a few blocks.

So the questions being asked privately, and sometimes very publicly, in Queens stations yesterday were: Do I take a train not going where I'm going and — God forbid — transfer? Do I take a relatively uncrowded train that goes where I'm going but that gives me the scenic tour of subterranean Queens?

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/18/nyregion/tunnel-vision-lonesome-newcomer-taking-it-slowly-seeks-riders.html 

if this has been discussed ok but would there be any problems say switching the (F) back to 53rd street and have the (M) go to 63rd street and weekends have half of the (F) trains go there cause i saw an article where when the (F) was moved to 63rd street it was very controversial 

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/18/nyregion/tunnel-vision-lonesome-newcomer-taking-it-slowly-seeks-riders.html 

Why bother? Nobody's complaining about it now

Besides, with the SAS now stopping at Lex-63rd, it's now a more popular station, and certainly a valuable transfer to have.

I've got an idea:

Why not extend the (6) to South Ferry? Seeing as a connection already exists between Bowling Green and South Ferry I can't see why not. Maybe the (1) could use the new station, and the (6) could use the outer loop that the (1) is currently using.

I've got an idea:

Why not extend the (6) to South Ferry? Seeing as a connection already exists between Bowling Green and South Ferry I can't see why not. Maybe the (1) could use the new station, and the (6) could use the outer loop that the (1) is currently using.

The merge at Brooklyn Bridge is gonna be a mess...

I've got an idea:

The merge at Brooklyn Bridge is gonna be a mess...

Which is exactly why I would ONLY do it at off hours (between 8:00 PM and 5:30 AM weekdays and 8:00 PM Friday to 5:30 AM Monday) and revive the BG-SF shuttle to cover the rest of the time (with actually the (5) and (6) both running to old SF when the (5) isn't running to Brooklyn.

Edited by Wallyhorse

Which is exactly why I would ONLY do it at off hours (between 8:00 PM and 5:30 AM weekdays and 8:00 PM Friday to 5:30 AM Monday) and revive the BG-SF shuttle to cover the rest of the time (with actually the (5) and (6) both running to old SF when the (5) isn't running to Brooklyn.

And, pray, what market does this serve? Is the 500 foot journey between stations that perilous?

The delays on lex from the merge will be awful, rush hour or not, and if you're running a shuttle whose uselessness has been hashed and rehashed over and over again on here and elsewhere during rush hours, I don't see this being of any use.

Give up. The MTA is never starting BG SF up again.

Which is exactly why I would ONLY do it at off hours (between 8:00 PM and 5:30 AM weekdays and 8:00 PM Friday to 5:30 AM Monday) and revive the BG-SF shuttle to cover the rest of the time (with actually the (5) and (6) both running to old SF when the (5) isn't running to Brooklyn

God damn it man... We already told you why this bullshit fantasy of yours wont work...

Thought exercise: what if we rerouted the (R) via 63rd St?

This just opens up other questions...

-Where would the (F) go? Only thing this would do is cause merging problems at Lex-63.

- What about the lost transfer connection at Lex-59? Now people are gonna half to walk 4 blocks for (R) trains, or backtrack to 57 St.

-What about Queens Plaza? No direct Broadway connection anymore, gonna have to go around the world now via Court Sq/Queensboro Plaza.

Only gonna cause more problems than it would solve.

-Where would the (F) go? Only thing this would do is cause merging problems at Lex-63.

- What about the lost transfer connection at Lex-59? Now people are gonna half to walk 4 blocks for (R) trains, or backtrack to 57 St.

-What about Queens Plaza? No direct Broadway connection anymore, gonna have to go around the world now via Court Sq/Queensboro Plaza.

Would it really cause merging problems? IIRC the (R) and (M) operate at similar frequencies, though I could be wrong in that regard.

I'm wondering if they're ever going to have to do that to make some room in the 60th St tubes.

Edited by bobtehpanda

God damn it man... We already told you why this bullshit fantasy of yours wont work...

I was simply pointing out why we won't see the (6) run to SF and why we won't see that again. 

Add to that the (R) having to merge with the (Q) at 57th/7th and outside of emergencies it's not something that should be done. 

Here's the problem with your SF idea since you obviously can't understand what we're trying to tell you:

First off,

The platform is 5 CARS ONLY!! It is against regulations to allow trains other then the (1) to stop there.

Second,

NO body is going to wait for a dam shuttle when they could just walk to South Ferry in a minute and a half.

Third,

Who in their righr mind would just run service over there during off hours WHEN RIDERSHIP ISN'T EVEN HIGH AT THAT POINT.

Should I continue?

Here's the problem with your SF idea since you obviously can't understand what we're trying to tell you:

First off,

The platform is 5 CARS ONLY!! It is against regulations to allow trains other then the (1) to stop there.

Second,

NO body is going to wait for a dam shuttle when they could just walk to South Ferry in a minute and a half.

Third,

Who in their righr mind would just run service over there during off hours WHEN RIDERSHIP ISN'T EVEN HIGH AT THAT POINT.

Should I continue?

The first and third points don't really matter. People do, in fact, take the ferry at night.

If the shuttle was convenient, people would take it. It was not convenient in the 1970s, and if the 1970s operation were to be revived, it would remain inconvenient.

For the shuttle to be viable, the shuttle platform at Bowling Green would need to be extended to 5 cars' length, so that the first half of southbound (4) and (5) trains would have a cross-platform transfer to the shuttle.

If the shuttle used the outer loop, it would be quite convenient since the central exit from that platform used to lead directly into the ferry terminal (and currently leads to a space a few feet away from a door into the ferry terminal.) As has been mentioned, the exit from the new (1) station is much less convenient.

Extending the (6) to South Ferry on late nights isn't a bad idea. It would provide more service to Fulton Street, Wall Street, Bowling Green, and South Ferry, and wouldn't really cause delays since the (4) already runs local on the Lexington Line with the (6) at that time.

On weekends, it may be better to have a shuttle instead of extending the (6) train, simply because the (5) has to fumigate at Bowling Green, and the addition of the (6) would almost certainly cause delays.

Edited by P3F

Thought exercise: what if we rerouted the (R) via 63rd St?

Shifting the (R) from 60th Street to 63rd Street would not only move the merge from west of Queens Plaza to east of 21 Street. It would also create new merge points at 57 Street where (R) trains would merge with the (Q) to reach 63rd Street and just west of Lexington Av where it meets up with the (F) in order to run to/from Queens Blvd. Those additional merges would undoubtedly slow down an already slow line.

Then there are the customer impacts as Turtle mentioned. Lexington Av-59 St and 5 Avenue would only be served by the (N) during off-hours whereas the 63rd Street corridor would be over-served with both the (F) and (R) running along the line during all periods except late nights.

You're likely right when it comes to 60th Street being at or near capacity. However, removing a line from that section is definitely not the answer, not when the three stations affected by this are quite busy stations that cannot afford to lose any service.

I do wonder why there hasn't been much discussion about light rail for NYC...

I understand this isn't the best city for it, but for areas in Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn currently underserved I could see its appeal...

Especially considering BQX, that's supposed to connect LIC to the 4 Av Line, apparently quicker than the existing rail service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially considering BQX, that's supposed to connect LIC to the 4 Av Line, apparently quicker than the existing rail service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea if this is at all feasible, but the Bx12 route would be the most obvious proposition, seeing how well ridden the bus system is. However, I know nothing about the layout of Pelham Parkway (and the other roads it'd travel on), so perhaps this is a dumb idea. I'd also consider it on 3rd Avenue in the Bronx, in the former location of the el.