Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Also that would've been an excessively long route. With 57 Street out of the picture as a viable terminal, the route from Jamaica Center to 71 Avenue as a local would've taken about 90 minutes from end to end. Shades of the  (QJ) anyone?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 questions 

if they were to convert woodhaven blvd on the queensblvd line into an express how would that be done?

i saw a proposal to build a subway in the middle of the LIE how would that be done?

IND_LIE_Route-640x234.jpg

The Woodhaven Blvd station is rather wide. New island platforms would be constructed currently where the local tracks are, with stairs and elevators leading up to the mezzanine. The local tracks would be moved outside the island platforms.

The 1968 Program for Action LIE plan has a QBL branch that splits just west of and under Woodhaven Blvd, running to Kissena Blvd in Phase 1 and Springfield Blvd in Phase 2.

Likely the  (G) or whatever Broadway Local was running on Queens Boulevard when the LIE line opened.

or in this case the (M) today if it was built today

i know this is a game 

with the (M) routed to the LIE extension 

and the (H) only on 5 stops of the queens blvd subway 

would there be room to add more trains on the (R)

now the million dollar question is what would have the service that would run down the LIE?

It would depend on how the junction at Woodhaven Blvd was constructed. If there were connections to both the local and express tracks, the (E) could've run to Kissena/Springfield, as was the intention in the preliminary proposal. With today's services, I could see the (G) and possibly the (M) serving that line with the (R) continuing to 71 Avenue as it does now.

It would depend on how the junction at Woodhaven Blvd was constructed. If there were connections to both the local and express tracks, the (E) could've run to Kissena/Springfield, as was the intention in the preliminary proposal. With today's services, I could see the (G) and possibly the (M) serving that line with the (R) continuing to 71 Avenue as it does now.

and if that's the case would there be enough room to give the R more trains?

To help the Broadway conga; terminate the (M) or (F) at 57th St, and run the (N) to Jamaica-179th in the (F) place. So now this streamlines service on Broadway (N)(Q) express and (R)(W) local. Plus the (F) wouldn't be as long as it and probably opens up room for a Culver Express <F>. The only con I can think of is... complicating train movement at DeKalb Ave,  would the track switchs at Lexington-63rd be able to handle the amount of (N) trains, and where to terminate southbound (W) trains.

To help the Broadway conga; terminate the (M) or (F) at 57th St, and run the (N) to Jamaica-179th in the (F) place. So now this streamlines service on Broadway (N)(Q) express and (R)(W) local. Plus the (F) wouldn't be as long as it and probably opens up room for a Culver Express <F>. The only con I can think of is... complicating train movement at DeKalb Ave,  would the track switchs at Lexington-63rd be able to handle the amount of (N) trains, and where to terminate southbound (W) trains.

So the (W) is the only service in Astoria? Seems very inadequate for some high-usage stations.

So the (W) is the only service in Astoria? Seems very inadequate for some high-usage stations.

From what I understood the (N) or (W) can handle Astoria alone, but with that many (W) trains per hour serving Astoria the issue is Whitehall will not be able to turn all those trains around and the case of the (N) Sea Beach doesn't need that many trains per hour like Astoria needs. And now the other issue I thought about is the (W) wouldn't have direct yard access

It doesn't streamline broadway... You still have to merge (N) exp -> lcl, causing delays and restricting tph. On top of that, you're creating termination delays on the (F) at 57th as some trains will continue while others reverse, and you're adding a slow merge at 63rd. Much easier to send (N) trips up Second, IMO, and add (W) service to compensate for the loss in Astoria. The (F) needs little changing -- it's long but the Queens portion isn't the issue. 

To help the Broadway conga; terminate the (M) or (F) at 57th St, and run the (N) to Jamaica-179th in the (F) place. So now this streamlines service on Broadway (N)(Q) express and (R)(W) local. Plus the (F) wouldn't be as long as it and probably opens up room for a Culver Express <F>. The only con I can think of is... complicating train movement at DeKalb Ave, would the track switchs at Lexington-63rd be able to handle the amount of (N) trains, and where to terminate southbound (W) trains.

But then you'd have to run the (N) on the same frequency the (F) currently runs on - 14 tph - in order to accommodate the Queens Blvd express crowds. And what about the (Q)? It has been crowded since day 1 of 2nd Ave service and Transit is already planning to add an extra train each rush hour period (as we've discussed in that thread). But that one extra train is eventually not going to be enough. An (N) train running via 63rd St and Queens Blvd will make it much more difficult to increase (Q) service on 2nd Ave, especially given both services would have to merge at Lex/63rd, then split at DeKalb - while merging with the (B) and (D).

And they'd be less likely to continue to run the (F) on its current frequencies if it were to be cut back to 57th St. That likely wouldn't bode well for having an <F> express.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

I think 96th St could handle all (N)(Q) trains, and the (W) can handle Astoria alone.

It doesn't streamline broadway... You still have to merge (N) exp -> lcl, causing delays and restricting tph. On top of that, you're creating termination delays on the (F) at 57th as some trains will continue while others reverse, and you're adding a slow merge at 63rd. Much easier to send (N) trips up Second, IMO, and add (W) service to compensate for the loss in Astoria. The (F) needs little changing -- it's long but the Queens portion isn't the issue.

But then you'd have to run the (N) on the same frequency the (F) currently runs on - 14 tph - in order to accommodate the Queens Blvd express crowds. And what about the (Q)? It has been crowded since day 1 of 2nd Ave service and Transit is already planning to add an extra train each rush hour period (as we've discussed in that thread). But that one extra train is eventually not going to be enough. An (N) train running via 63rd St and Queens Blvd will make it much more difficult to increase (Q) service on 2nd Ave, especially given both services would have to merge at Lex/63rd, then split at DeKalb - while merging with the (B) and (D).

And they'd be less likely to continue to run the (F) on its current frequencies if it were to be cut back to 57th St. That likely wouldn't bode well for having an <F> express

I completely agree with you two :)