Do B/O's really care if I use a Student Metrocard to go to Long Island?

IAlam

You mean if you ask for a ride without using the MetroCard or just using your student MetroCard to get to long island?

If it's the later you are able to use your student on any NYCT/MTA bus route, just not on NICE. Former, it depends in the driver, but I wouldn't recommend it in queens since almost no one there fare evades and would likely be more uptight about you not using your MetroCard.

They won't care. Your student Metrocard is good on all local bus routes regardless of where they travel.

Sent from my SM-G925T using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  One kid died yesterday as a result of playing hookie using his Metrocard to go to the beach in the Rockaways instead of being in school.  That led to cops doing sweeps of various local bus routes in Queens to find kids that were truant.  With the nice weather now, it wouldn't surprise me to see more sweeps.

I should add that I support the sweeps.  The passes should be used to get to and from school and for recreational activities related to school.  Anything else should be paid for on the students' dime.  When I wanted to hangout with friends on Fridays, I paid my own way to get around.  I've said it previously... Student Metrocards are being abused, and since taxpayers are paying for them, their use needs to be monitored closely.  

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160525/arverne/fdny-nypd-divers-rescue-swimmer-from-rockaway-beach

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160525/broad-channel/kids-skipping-school-go-beach-caught-nypd-dragnet

I was told many years ago that you could not use a student Metro Card going to/from Green Acres

You're right, but once again many drivers don't care. No one really enforces that rule (think of how illegal jaywalking is in the city lol).

You're right, but once again many drivers don't care. No one really enforces that rule (think of how illegal jaywalking is in the city lol).

Yes, the drivers in many cases don't care anymore, especially after some of the latest incidents.  They take a hands-off approach.  That doesn't mean however that he's off the hook.  If there is a sweep, then he may have a problem. Should've stated that in my previous post.  I think the problem is that they do these sweeps and then they go away, so it doesn't really solve anything.  It needs to be persistent and enforced by the NYPD working with the (MTA).  

I want to buy a few that seem to only be available at Walmart right now, so if I were to hop on the Q5/85 to go to Green acres amd then take it back, would they care?

Back in the day. Yes, you could of used your student metro card to enter Nassau County. Since Green Acres is on the Queens/Nassau line that was okay. I've taken LI bus (N22/24) from Jamaica to Rooselvelt Field when I didn't have LIRR $$ and student metro card worked in Jamaica.

Don't know the policy now.

Yes, the drivers in many cases don't care anymore, especially after some of the latest incidents.  They take a hands-off approach.  That doesn't mean however that he's off the hook.  If there is a sweep, then he may have a problem. Should've stated that in my previous post.  I think the problem is that they do these sweeps and then they go away, so it doesn't really solve anything.  It needs to be persistent and enforced by the NYPD working with the (MTA).  

To me it's not the (MTA) that should be on top of the students. The school should be the one that gives out the consequences and the NYPD is the one that should be on the lookout for the ones cutting.

To me it's not the (MTA) that should be on top of the students. The school should be the one that gives out the consequences and the NYPD is the one that should be on the lookout for the ones cutting.

It's both IMO. It'll tell you why.  You have severe overcrowding in some schools (my neighborhood is an example where tons of kids from Yonkers use addresses of relatives that live in Riverdale to attend our schools) because the parents are lying about their actual residence, which is some cases means that kids get free Metrocards that really shouldn't, so the city is paying for kids that don't live in NYC!  That in turn leads to the (MTA) having to find the funds for a program that they aren't being reimbursed for, which means that they have to get that money from somewhere, so they do indeed find it eventually.  I still hear stories of how some kids are given preferential treatment by school administration.  In other words if the kids know someone in the school and that person likes them, they may be given a student Metrocard even if they don't need one when they ask for one.  There seems to be very little oversight over such an expensive program, and on top of that when the students are taking extra rides for free, it makes it even worse.

I remember in my high school, all the student metro cards were handed out by one nutty old secretary who seemed to just pull them out of her desk at random. if people lost their cards, they would get replacements for diffrent amounts or numerber of rides. It was such a poorly run system, nd it doesn't sounds much better now

Back in the day. Yes, you could of used your student metro card to enter Nassau County. Since Green Acres is on the Queens/Nassau line that was okay. I've taken LI bus (N22/24) from Jamaica to Rooselvelt Field when I didn't have LIRR $$ and student metro card worked in Jamaica.

Don't know the policy now.

Student Metro cards now in the city don't work on NICE bus. Even back when it was still LI Bus, the fare boxes won't accept them. The fareboxes always said "invalid card"

You mean if you ask for a ride without using the MetroCard or just using your student MetroCard to get to long island?

If it's the later you are able to use your student on any NYCT/MTA bus route, just not on NICE. Former, it depends in the driver, but I wouldn't recommend it in queens since almost no one there fare evades and would likely be more uptight about you not using your MetroCard.

This is not a topic about cutting school I have never cut school nor do I ever plan to. I'm applying to the NHS next year so I not going to do something stupid like play hooky and go to the beach. My question was about if I were to go to Green Acres after school to buy something, would the drivers care that I used my card in LI 

I was told many years ago that you could not use a student Metro Card going to/from Green Acres

I remembered that policy it also applied to the Q113 and Q114 that why I asked

Student Metro cards now in the city don't work on NICK bus. Even back when it was still LI Bus, the fare boxes won't accept them. The fareboxes always said "invalid card"

Aren't they required to accept them on Bee line routes and NICE routes that do not have an NYCT alternative? 

Aren't they required to accept them on Bee line routes and NICE routes that do not have an NYCT alternative?

Only line I can think of where that would come to mind is the Boston Rd routes (60/61/62) as they are open door within the Bronx. All other routes are closed door within the Bronx/Queens. Westchester County & Nassau County have their own student metrocards.

This is not a topic about cutting school I have never cut school nor do I ever plan to. I'm applying to the NHS next year so I not going to do something stupid like play hooky and go to the beach. My question was about if I were to go to Green Acres after school to buy something, would the drivers care that I used my card in LI 

Of course, but you know, there's always one person that drifts it off topic.

Thank you for clarifying this though.

I was told many years ago that you could not use a student Metro Card going to/from Green Acres

There's really no way to enforce that, though, especially outbound. If the kid gets on and sits all the way in the back, do you think the B/O is really going to walk all the way to the back of the bus and kick the student off once the bus reaches the city line?

There's really no way to enforce that, though, especially outbound. If the kid gets on and sits all the way in the back, do you think the B/O is really going to walk all the way to the back of the bus and kick the student off once the bus reaches the city line?

A better question would be is the BO going to ask the kid is he/she going to Green Acres

Of course, but you know, there's always one person that drifts it off topic.

Thank you for clarifying this though.

Not it isn't but that doesn't mean that he can't be stopped while trying to use his card.  Seeing that the cards are supposed to be school related activities, it is related.  Going to the mall is not a school related activity even if it is after-school. I have been stopped while using my student Metrocard before outside of school hours and questioned as to where I was going, so it is possible.  My advice would be to just pay $2.75 if he is that concerned about having issues (be it from B/Os or undercover cops).  It really isn't worth the hassle.

Before you go off the deep end about being "on-topic", look at the big picture first.  <_<  An undercover cop isn't going to care that his card is valid, and if they feel like taking him in for it they certainly can and will, but hey if he's busted, that's his problem, not mine.  

Probably going to shock some of you, but I don't really think it should be an issue to use a student MetroCard to/from Green Acres.  If it's OK to use the card everywhere else on the routes which eventually end up there, then how can you say to someone boarding at that location "Sorry, can't get on here"?  Can just see some irate parent going postal with all the city departments, school administration and the MTA if their kid got "stranded" -- just not worth it.

I agree that the student card system is plagued with problems, but in this case, it's not something that really causes a major ripple in the pond.

A better question would be is the BO going to ask the kid is he/she going to Green Acres

On a busy route like the Q5/85 where over 90% of the stops and ridership are in Queens, I highly doubt it. If anything, the problem would be on the return trip.

In any case, I used to take the S89 to/from school every single day (and as a matter of fact, a good chunk of the intra-SI ridership on the S89 consists of schoolkids), and nobody ever questioned me as to where I was getting off. 

Not it isn't but that doesn't mean that he can't be stopped while trying to use his card.  Seeing that the cards are supposed to be school related activities, it is related.  Going to the mall is not a school related activity even if it is after-school. I have been stopped while using my student Metrocard before outside of school hours and questioned as to where I was going, so it is possible.  My advice would be to just pay $2.75 if he is that concerned about having issues (be it from B/Os or undercover cops).  It really isn't worth the hassle.

Before you go off the deep end about being "on-topic", look at the big picture first.  <_<  An undercover cop isn't going to care that his card is valid, and if they feel like taking him in for it they certainly can and will, but hey if he's busted, that's his problem, not mine.  

The problem with that logic is, kids don't get stopped. The Q5 and Q85(both Rosedale and Green Acres branches) both get very high usage from students. Going towards the mall, hardly anyone gets stopped, and from my experience, coming back from the mall, you don't really get bothered either. A lot of kids take the bus to/from the mall especially in the morning, because they actually live around the area, so it's pretty hard to judge. So in essence, you're just clamoring on about nothing.

If you've ever been around the Green Acres Mall vicinity, you'd know that.

But when you leave green acres you are already in LI so if they notice that you dip the student metrocard would they really care?

It's basically flipping a coin. Depending on the time, some would and some wouldn't. To play it safe, I would walk to the stop that's along the Sunrise Highway, preferably by the Rosedale LIRR Station.

The problem with that logic is, kids don't get stopped. The Q5 and Q85(both Rosedale and Green Acres branches) both get very high usage from students. Going towards the mall, hardly anyone gets stopped, and from my experience, coming back from the mall, you don't really get bothered either. A lot of kids take the bus to/from the mall especially in the morning, because they actually live around the area, so it's pretty hard to judge. So in essence, you're just clamoring on about nothing.

Ok, so then he's got nothing to worry about then.  Either way your sarcasm (as usual) wasn't necessary.

I highly doubt B/O going to ask the kids where they're going,mind you,90% of the B/O let them on the bus without the student metro

anyway.Only time B/O question them is when they dont have their student Metro card...

On a busy route like the Q5/85 where over 90% of the stops and ridership are in Queens, I highly doubt it. If anything, the problem would be on the return trip.

In any case, I used to take the S89 to/from school every single day (and as a matter of fact, a good chunk of the intra-SI ridership on the S89 consists of schoolkids), and nobody ever questioned me as to where I was getting off. 

I can only imagine what a B/O would think if they saw someone getting on the S89 in Jersey, it just depends whether or not they say something.  

Ok, so then he's got nothing to worry about then.  Either way your sarcasm (as usual) wasn't necessary.

The only time I really abuse the student metrocard, is when I go express bus joyriding and in that case I'm already paying the MTA more than double so ...

Archived