Arthur Kill station opening TOMMOROW to little fanfare.

Union Tpke

New Arthur Kill Station 

Effective 5 AM Saturday, January 21, 2017

The Arthur Kill Station represents a modern upgrade to the Staten Island Railway system, as well as our efforts to continually improve your riding experience. As part of this new station project, Nassau and Atlantic stations will be permanently closed. The brand new Arthur Kill Station is located on Arthur Kill Rd, between Lion St and Barnard Av.

New Station Features: 

• ADA-compliant ramps leading to full-length platforms
  • Windscreens, canopies and an enclosed pedestrian overpass to access both platforms for all-weather protection
  • Artwork in the windscreens at the top of both towers and in the overpass by artist Jenna Lucente and commissioned by MTA Arts & Design. "Tottenville Sun, Tottenville Sky," consists of 28 large-scale laminated glass panels featuring a mix of wildlife and landscape scenes that are unique to the area's geography and community
  • Surveillance cameras at platform off-hour waiting areas
  • A 150 car park-and-ride lot, across the street
  • Convenient intermodal connectivity between NYC Transit Buses and Staten Island Railway trains.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/New_Arthur_Kill_Station/index.htm

Were there any railfans on the first train?

No. I shot a video of the first train, but did not get onto it.

I don't know about the first train, but it was absolutely empty this afternoon...

It was empty in the morning as well.

Riding the first train could have been a double whammy as one might have rode the smaller SI Ferry boats that only run during the overnight hours, I don't think most people in the fan community been on them.

I would thought this being a new outdoor station alone would generate a decent amount of fanfare, as we probably won't see a new outdoor NYC Subway ever again unless it get to a point where the EL's have to be torn down and outright replaced with a new structure. 

Riding the first train could have been a double whammy as one might have rode the smaller SI Ferry boats that only run during the overnight hours, I don't think most people in the fan community been on them.

I would thought this being a new outdoor station alone would generate a decent amount of fanfare, as we probably won't see a new outdoor NYC Subway ever again unless it get to a point where the EL's have to be torn down and outright replaced with a new structure.

I hate those 2 damn baby boats. If you're lucky enough, they'll use one of the small ones and a big one overnight.

I hate those 2 damn baby boats. If you're lucky enough, they'll use one of the small ones and a big one overnight.

I ride them all the time. Two years living in St George I think only one time DOT used the Noble and Austen at the same time overnight.

I was there today. The overpasses at Nassau and Atlantic are still open, and at the latter two teens were doing cocaine. They should close those overpasses down to prevent this.

The overpasses are DOT property and needed to allow people to cross over the tracks. They'll never close them.

The overpasses are DOT property and needed to allow people to cross over the tracks. They'll never close them.

I had a feeling that they were needed. They are in horrible condition and people will continue to use them in the way that I described. They should really be replaced. I wonder when they will demolish the Nassau and Atlantic stations.

I was there today. The overpasses at Nassau and Atlantic are still open, and at the latter two teens were doing cocaine. They should close those overpasses down to prevent this.

lol... Closing them down will just move them somewhere else.  The South Shore in particular has a serious drug problem, and there are meth heads all over the place.  If they weren't there they would be somewhere along Hylan Blvd (they already are).  Would just be more of them...

Im not sure, because I'm almost never around there, but I do think the river walk will become part of the mall/wheel complex.

Nevertheless, a weekend shuttle might be a good idea.

If you look at the view here: http://www.earthcam.net/projects/newyorkwheel/

You can see that the NY Wheel construction site is just northwest of the western end of Ballpark station. If you look at the left edge of the camera view, you can see the elevator heading to Ballpark's platform (since that station is ADA-accessible).

Archived