Trump is set to remove almost ALL transit funding.

Union Tpke

And?  I'll wait until I see the actual budget...

You people just want to b*tch and moan because you hate Republicans and will refuse to give him any chance to do anything, but he won and I'm looking forward to the changes that he and the House and Congress will make.  If liberals were so damn adamant about Trump not being elected, they should've put up a better candidate like Bernie AND voted, but where's the outrage in Hillary stealing the nomination from him?  Not a peep about that huh... Typical... 

On the contrary, there are many who were and still are pissed about that.

I didn't want Hillary or Trump, but Trump is actually the lesser of all evils among the Republican party.

I have NO faith in Congressional Republicans because they are pro-plutocrat obstructionists who now have been enabled by supermajorities to advance their pro-plutocrat, anti-worker, un-America agenda of the poor subsidizing the rich and doing away with programs like Medicare and SS which are NOT entitlements, but rather things people pay into their entire working lives in favor of BS like vouchers and 401k's which place the burden entirely upon the people for things that are NEEDed (income in retirement, and healthcare).

Not to mention as much as they cry and whine about liberals pushing "the gay agenda" they are very much equally guilty by pushing "the bible thumper agenda" instead of fixing income inequaltiy.

Income inequality is the one issue that, if fixed, can improve 95% or more of people's lives. The majority of people don't give a shit about abortions (well, maybe in their own life, but not someone else's) or what bathroom Caitlin Jenner stops to take a piss in. Besides, what good is forcing women who don't want kids, to give birth, going to be? Sounds like more people that will require public assistance. You can't really and truly call yourself pro-life when you treat the middle class and below like shit, and you want to force people who don't want kids to have them, and you in no way provide social mobility for those kids to make anything of themselves in a life that, frankly, didn't have to be.

The irony is all the bible thumpers ignore all that "crap" Jesus said about helping the poor etc. It's dog eat dog, but don't get an abortion. It's a joke, and they are every bit the caricature of themselves that the left's "social justice warriors" are crying about safe spaces and microaggressions.

The behavior needs to be called out on both sides, because it's infantile and prevents reasonable discussion about the real issues facing America. The irony is that now that Trump is president, I've never seen more Republicans (note: I don't say conservatives because Republicans of today are NOT conservatives) running off to THEIR safe spaces when criticized than ever before.

On the contrary, there are many who were and still are pissed about that.

I didn't want Hillary or Trump, but Trump is actually the lesser of all evils among the Republican party.

I have NO faith in Congressional Republicans because they are pro-plutocrat obstructionists who now have been enabled by supermajorities to advance their pro-plutocrat, anti-worker, un-America agenda of the poor subsidizing the rich and doing away with programs like Medicare and SS which are NOT entitlements, but rather things people pay into their entire working lives in favor of BS like vouchers and 401k's which place the burden entirely upon the people for things that are NEEDed (income in retirement, and healthcare).

Not to mention as much as they cry and whine about liberals pushing "the gay agenda" they are very much equally guilty by pushing "the bible thumper agenda" instead of fixing income inequaltiy.

Income inequality is the one issue that, if fixed, can improve 95% or more of people's lives. The majority of people don't give a shit about abortions (well, maybe in their own life, but not someone else's) or what bathroom Caitlin Jenner stops to take a piss in. Besides, what good is forcing women who don't want kids, to give birth, going to be? Sounds like more people that will require public assistance. You can't really and truly call yourself pro-life when you treat the middle class and below like shit, and you want to force people who don't want kids to have them, and you in no way provide social mobility for those kids to make anything of themselves in a life that, frankly, didn't have to be.

The irony is all the bible thumpers ignore all that "crap" Jesus said about helping the poor etc. It's dog eat dog, but don't get an abortion. It's a joke, and they are every bit the caricature of themselves that the left's "social justice warriors" are crying about safe spaces and microaggressions.

The behavior needs to be called out on both sides, because it's infantile and prevents reasonable discussion about the real issues facing America. The irony is that now that Trump is president, I've never seen more Republicans (note: I don't say conservatives because Republicans of today are NOT conservatives) running off to THEIR safe spaces when criticized than ever before.

Clearly they weren't pissed enough because they didn't come out the way they should've. Now that they lost the election, they want to complain about EVERYTHING Trump does.  Please.  It's complete BS.  At least you and I realize that just because a candidate is a Democrat doesn't make them any better, and Hillary is the epitome of a crook, which is why she lost.  Plain and simple.  The Democrats had the election in the bag and lost because they really thought that they were doing a good job.  They weren't and people that were angry went out and voted.  It's that simple.  If cuts are made to transportation it is what it is.  I voted for who I wanted in office and I'll live with the consequences of that.  

And?  I'll wait until I see the actual budget...

You people just want to b*tch and moan because you hate Republicans and will refuse to give him any chance to do anything, but he won and I'm looking forward to the changes that he and the House and Congress will make.  If liberals were so damn adamant about Trump not being elected, they should've put up a better candidate like Bernie AND voted, but where's the outrage in Hillary stealing the nomination from him?  Not a peep about that huh... Typical... 

If you honestly think the people who have been protesting yesterday were just liberals and just protesting about Trump then you are being willfully ignorant. The Women's March was planned for the day after the inauguration, regardless of who won and planned before the election...

There has been outrage about the primaries and the DNC with regularity since that episode unfolded, especially among progressives like myself. I don't like "liberals" either. 

People and organizations have been working together to reshape the DNC for years. They identified this problem before it even occurred. So this notion that people are whining about Trump is patently false.

But of course the media never reports the facts, do they?

If you honestly think the people who have been protesting yesterday were just liberals and just protesting about Trump then you are being willfully ignorant. The Women's March was planned for the day after the inauguration, regardless of who won and planned before the election...

There has been outrage about the primaries and the DNC with regularity since that episode unfolded, especially among progressives like myself. I don't like "liberals" either. 

People and organizations have been working together to reshape the DNC for years. They identified this problem before it even occurred. So this notion that people are whining about Trump is patently false.

But of course the media never reports the facts, do they?

They rarely do... Trump will be attacked constantly because it's the politically "correct" thing to do.  

Clearly they weren't pissed enough because they didn't come out the way they should've. Now that they lost the election, they want to complain about EVERYTHING Trump does.  Please.  It's complete BS.  At least you and I realize that just because a candidate is a Democrat doesn't make them any better, and Hillary is the epitome of a crook, which is why she lost.  Plain and simple.  The Democrats had the election in the bag and lost because they really thought that they were doing a good job.  They weren't and people that were angry went out and voted.  It's that simple.  If cuts are made to transportation it is what it is.  I voted for who I wanted in office and I'll live with the consequences of that.  

The irony of this is that you are basing this opinion of yours on media coverage, which has never been known to be accurate.

Again, there are plenty of pissed off people about Bernie Sanders getting the runaround...so many, in fact, that they didn't show up to vote for Hillary. Bernie doesn't lose Michigan. Bernie doesn't lose Pennsylvania. Bernie doesn't lose Ohio, or Wisconsin. Hell, Bernie probably doesn't lose Florida either. Hillary couldn't even win her real home state (Arkansas).

...and the whole women's rights issue which is about abortions etc, is more in response to Congressional Republicans and things that Republican governors have pushed in southern states that limit the availability of abortions to women...not who the president is. In fact, it was planned well before this whole thing. But that's just the media's spin on it since Trump is a hot button issue and including his name in the title of a news article generates more clicks from both political "fanbases" than not.

The irony of this is that you are basing this opinion of yours on media coverage, which has never been known to be accurate.

Again, there are plenty of pissed off people about Bernie Sanders getting the runaround...so many, in fact, that they didn't show up to vote for Hillary. Bernie doesn't lose Michigan. Bernie doesn't lose Pennsylvania. Bernie doesn't lose Ohio, or Wisconsin. Hell, Bernie probably doesn't lose Florida either. Hillary couldn't even win her real home state (Arkansas).

...and the whole women's rights issue which is about abortions etc, is more in response to Congressional Republicans and things that Republican governors have pushed in southern states that limit the availability of abortions to women...not who the president is. In fact, it was planned well before this whole thing. But that's just the media's spin on it since Trump is a hot button issue and including his name in the title of a news article generates more clicks from both political "fanbases" than not.

Well said! I voted third-party; it wasn't a vote for Trump, but it was definitely a vote against that smug cunt Hillary.

Well said! I voted third-party; it wasn't a vote for Trump, but it was definitely a vote against that smug cunt Hillary.

Great, so you're a misogynist and you helped contribute to Trump's election. You have little to be proud of.

--

With regards to VG8's inane posts: VG8, as you put it, "you will live with the consequences." The dire consequences. Despicable. 

I would have gladly voted for Elizabeth Warren. I'm more interested in the content of people's character as opposed to their gender, race, religion, or whatever label that the elites use to keep the rest of us down.

You're upset about Trump? Do what I do and work to make sure that whoever his challenger is in 2020 is a candidate who actually cares about ordinary working people.

Why wouldn't I?  The media has been reporting inaccurately for quite some time...

Great, so you're a misogynist and you helped contribute to Trump's election. You have little to be proud of.

--

With regards to VG8's inane posts: VG8, as you put it, "you will live with the consequences." The dire consequences. Despicable. 

No, he's proud to not have supported a crook, and for that I salute him.  If Bernie would've run I probably would've voted for him, or at least considered him.  Throwing Hillary into the mix made it easy for Independent voters like myself to vote for Trump.

--

Yep, so far I've been pleased with what he has done.  We need fiscal accountability in this country, and so far Trump has moved to do just that.  We have him coming down hard on Boeing to make its Air Force One plane here in the U.S. at costs that are more reasonable... Our infrastructure can be rebuilt again and our transit systems can truly thrive again if we get costs under control.  We simply can't afford to pay $1B+ for a new station and billions more for a few additional stations.  Can't do it.  

I would have gladly voted for Elizabeth Warren. I'm more interested in the content of people's character as opposed to their gender, race, religion, or other label that the elite use to keep the rest of us down.

...So who did you vote for? Stein, who had no chance of winning? Gary "I Don't Know Who Aleppo is" Johnson?

...Harambe?

I was never concerned about Stein's prospects of winning.  It's not always about winners and losers.  When faced with dire choices you sometimes have to vote with your conscience.  For me, voting either for Trump or Hillary would involve compromising my personal sense of integrity.

Never let the powers that be bully you into thinking you only have two choices in an election- that's exactly how they've held onto power for so long.

...So who did you vote for? Stein, who had no chance of winning? Gary "I Don't Know Who Aleppo is" Johnson?

...Harambe?

Criticizing him for exercising his write as a citizen to vote for whoever he wants to... This is actually only the second time I've voted for a Republican candidate... Before I voted for Mitt Romney and voted for nothing BUT third party candidates prior to that.

This is the time for the rhetoric to be toned down and the coalitions be formed by members of both parties on common issues such as transit funding.. Personally, I do not care about who supported whom for president or who did not show up at the inauguration, What disturbs me is that the people who should be representing us in both the House of Representatives and the United States Senate are acting like they do not understand how the system works by spouting hateful words  that make it hard for a representative or a Senator from the same or other party where New York City and State are looked upon as pariahs.to support something like this that helps us.

What I have heard spoken from my Congresswoman and the Senior Senator from the State of New York over the last couple of days is absolutely disgusting and it distresses me no end as when New York State and City will need the help of members of Congress for whatever reason, we will not get it as members will remind these elected officials of what they said and how it hurt the other members.

The way things get done in many cases in through the forming of coalitions on any level. Just last week, we learned that the proposed application for  a jail had been withdrawn in Sheepshead Bay. The coalition that helped defeat it included a Republican State Senator and many Democratic elected leaders.

If cuts are made to transportation it is what it is.  I voted for who I wanted in office and I'll live with the consequences of that.  

Good, so if that happens, then none of us want to hear it if your express bus service gets eliminated. 

With me, it's not about Donald Trump vs Hillary Clinton (I dislike both of them), or Republican vs Democrat, but my issue is where the administration is basing their plan from. Transportation aside, there are a tremendous amount of cuts to programs that would then fall to state level. However, there's nothing that guarantees that the states will choose to take in those responsibilities. And then there's funding to greenhouse gases that would be detrimental for the environment in the long run. 

Going back to transit, in the plan many of these programs and subsidies would be shifted to the private sector or to states (or a combination). Placing everything in the private sector is not always the answer. Look at NICE as an example of the effects of privatization. Constant budget deficits, and riders constantly changing their commutes because of significant time schedule changes or route changes every pick. The budget is not balance, and operators are working in rather deplorable conditions. If you try privatizing the MTA, there will definitely be turmoil. Sure, you save money, but it comes at the expense of quality of service. The amount of tight runtimes would increase tremendous on a grand scale.  

I'm sorry, but I cannot be living without having some understanding of what government spending becomes. I don't care if it is Trump, Hillary, or God himself who uses that report as an influence in come up with the government spending, it is a bad idea, because it allows for the private sector to take advantage of citizens of almost all age, gender, and economic backgrounds.

--

I am getting so sick of hearing this argument.

Not voting for a candidate is not helping the other candidate win. What part of "the outcome of Hillary winning is just as undesirable as the outcome of Trump winning" do you people not understand?

Democrats had a layup in this election. And instead, they go back to the same person that couldn't even defeat some unknown Illinois senator who happened to be both black and with a Muslim sounding middle name, who most people in the country had never heard of (who would go from unknown to president, of course) in a 2008 primary???

The same person that couldn't keep her foot out of her mouth, that couldn't hide her close ties to big business and Wall Street?

Sorry, the only person whose fault it is Hillary Clinton lost the election is Hillary Clinton.

The fact she has completely disappeared after the election, lashed out at her supporters upon losing, wouldn't even make a concession speech, and has done absolutely nothing to fight for working people while Bernie Sanders has continued to do what he's done for 40 years tells me and people like R10 that we were well justified in not voting for her.

Going back to transit, in the plan many of these programs and subsidies would be shifted to the private sector or to states (or a combination). Placing everything in the private sector is not always the answer. Look at NICE as an example of the effects of privatization. Constant budget deficits, and riders constantly changing their commutes because of significant time schedule changes or route changes every pick. The budget is not balance, and operators are working in rather deplorable conditions. If you try privatizing the MTA, there will definitely be turmoil. Sure, you save money, but it comes at the expense of quality of service. The amount of tight runtimes would increase tremendous on a grand scale.  

The constant budget deficits in NICE are caused mostly by Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano cutting contributions to the bus system every year, Albany not providing enough federal subsidies to keep the Nassau or Suffolk's bus systems afloat, and rising labor costs. Setzer doesn't really control the budget for the buses, it's the County who decides how much money the system gets. He's even giving the County extra time to find the 12 million necessary to save the system before NICE has to make deep service cuts in April. To make the situation even more complicated, Nassau is in terrible financial shape because of the erratic decisions of Ed Manago and the overall incompetence of the County Legislators. If anyone is to be blame on the terrible network in Nassau, it's the politicians fault and not the contractor. 

I am getting so sick of hearing this argument.

Not voting for a candidate is not helping the other candidate win. What part of "the outcome of Hillary winning is just as undesirable as the outcome of Trump winning" do you people not understand?

Democrats had a layup in this election. And instead, they go back to the same person that couldn't even defeat some unknown Illinois senator who happened to be both black and with a Muslim sounding middle name, who most people in the country had never heard of (who would go from unknown to president, of course) in a 2008 primary???

The same person that couldn't keep her foot out of her mouth, that couldn't hide her close ties to big business and Wall Street?

Sorry, the only person whose fault it is Hillary Clinton lost the election is Hillary Clinton.

The fact she has completely disappeared after the election, lashed out at her supporters upon losing, wouldn't even make a concession speech, and has done absolutely nothing to fight for working people while Bernie Sanders has continued to do what he's done for 40 years tells me and people like R10 that we were well justified in not voting for her.

Exactly. I think the problem is simply that a lot of people here have either been co-opted by the Republican conservative elites or co-opted by the Democratic liberal elites; they fail to see beyond their party lines. I never succumbed to the two-party indoctrination; they had a Scholastic article when I was in grade school about how Ralph Nader ruined the election for the Democrats and I knew it was bullshit.

It's just like that film "They Live"...

Exactly. I think the problem is simply that a lot of people here have either been co-opted by the Republican conservative elites or co-opted by the Democratic liberal elites; they fail to see beyond their party lines. I never succumbed to the two-party indoctrination; they had a Scholastic article when I was in grade school about how Ralph Nader ruined the election for the Democrats and I knew it was bullshit.

It's just like that film "They Live"...

wow...just made me feel old...

When Americans can debate the substance of issues facing the country intelligently instead of resorting to simplistic labels, or simply agreeing on party lines, then we might get somewhere.

In some ways, our shitty Congress is indeed a "representative government". Most vote blindly along party lines because they believe that's what their constituents want. Maybe it is. But just know that we'll never get anywhere until people put AMERICA FIRST (to borrow a Trump line from his inauguration) and NOT PARTY FIRST.

Party first is what we made so much fun of in Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia, and yet so many do it here in supposely "free America." Never forget that.

Subway guy said it all in his post when he wrote our legislators are putting party first before America first. We see this in all levels of government and unfortunately, it is as clear as day whether in the city, Nassau County, Albany and in the halls of Congress. When we listen to the debates and the comments concerning the nominees for his cabinet whether they are qualified or not, you wonder if the person is being questioned as to how he/she will help America or they are being attacked for being chosen by the President. Our legislators have to get out of their heads that if the idea did not come about of that space called their brain or did not come from one of their party's aparatchiks or their paid for by their wealthy donors or government grant (s)think tanks, it is not worthy of a good honest hearing to see if the idea has merit. 

We have major crises that are developing that will destroy this country if not resolved, Yet all we hear is that is not right and that is not right but the impression is that all they are doing is fiddling while it will get worse.If  the last couple of weeks are any indication, then welcome not to America but to the Soviet Union. 

Subway guy said it all in his post when he wrote our legislators are putting party first before America first. We see this in all levels of government and unfortunately, it is as clear as day whether in the city, Nassau County, Albany and in the halls of Congress. When we listen to the debates and the comments concerning the nominees for his cabinet whether they are qualified or not, you wonder if the person is being questioned as to how he/she will help America or they are being attacked for being chosen by the President. Our legislators have to get out of their heads that if the idea did not come about of that space called their brain or did not come from one of their party's aparatchiks or their paid for by their wealthy donors or government grant (s)think tanks, it is not worthy of a good honest hearing to see if the idea has merit. 

We have major crises that are developing that will destroy this country if not resolved, Yet all we hear is that is not right and that is not right but the impression is that all they are doing is fiddling while it will get worse.If  the last couple of weeks are any indication, then welcome not to America but to the Soviet Union.

[/quote

Thank you and Amen to that. On my last foray to NC I pointed out to my neighbors that the new President said we need to fix our country's infrastructure. The general consensus was " it's about time". Only one person saw where I was heading when I started laughing at the seven people in the room. The party line brainwashed grown ups forgot that the last POTUS made the same proposal eight years ago and the Congress did nothing. Hope things are different this go round but the hypocrisy still stinks wherever it emanates from. That's eight years of further deterioration because of party line voting. America First is just a rehashed slogan until I see otherwise. Carry on.

Why wouldn't I? The media has been reporting inaccurately for quite some time...

No, he's proud to not have supported a crook, and for that I salute him. If Bernie would've run I probably would've voted for him, or at least considered him. Throwing Hillary into the mix made it easy for Independent voters like myself to vote for Trump.

--

Yep, so far I've been pleased with what he has done. We need fiscal accountability in this country, and so far Trump has moved to do just that. We have him coming down hard on Boeing to make its Air Force One plane here in the U.S. at costs that are more reasonable... Our infrastructure can be rebuilt again and our transit systems can truly thrive again if we get costs under control. We simply can't afford to pay $1B+ for a new station and billions more for a few additional stations. Can't do it.

Bernie did run though, and I voted for him in the primaries. And the reason for that is that his level of integrity, honesty, and concern for the people s**ts on Trump's. If Bernie had been elected President, we'd be working on solving our country's issues rather than talking about crowd sizes, SNL, and some stupid ass wall.

I'm mad as hell at the DNC and I'm gonna echo SubwayGuy's point that if they want to pull off a victory in 2020, they have to shake things up. And that means keeping Elizabeth Warren, getting rid of the Clintons (we've seen enough of them already) and getting rid of the neoliberal ideology that has engulfed the party. To be honest, if I wanted us to have a woman president, I think just about everyone would be fine with Warren. Hell I'd be fine with Cuomo as president, but that right there might be wishful thinking.

Listen VG8, for the sake of a packed Bx39 at rush hour with an LFS, please make sure that you fight Trump on his BS when you see it. Don't act like his rabid supporters who are fine with everything the man does, no matter how detrimental it might be to them. I know you're a lot smarter than to blindly follow someone.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Bernie did run though, and I voted for him in the primaries. And the reason for that is that his level of integrity, honesty, and concern for the people s**ts on Trump's. If Bernie had been elected President, we'd be working on solving our country's issues rather than talking about crowd sizes, SNL, and some stupid ass wall.

I'm mad as hell at the DNC and I'm gonna echo SubwayGuy's point that if they want to pull off a victory in 2020, they have to shake things up. And that means keeping Elizabeth Warren, getting rid of the Clintons (we've seen enough of them already) and getting rid of the neoliberal ideology that has engulfed the party. To be honest, if I wanted us to have a woman president, I think just about everyone would be fine with Warren. Hell I'd be fine with Cuomo as president, but that right there might be wishful thinking.

Listen VG8, for the sake of a packed Bx39 at rush hour with an LFS, please make sure that you fight Trump on his BS when you see it. Don't act like his rabid supporters who are fine with everything the man does, no matter how detrimental it might be to them. I know you're a lot smarter than to blindly follow someone.

Cuomo?!?!?!! GOD NO.

As for Bernie, if he'd been elected, he'd be fighting with Congress. So unclear if he'd be getting things done, but he'd be trying to do the right things, and it could mean positive change during the midterm elections in getting some of the dead weight and snakes out of Congress.

@DaTransitMan: Cuomo's a corrupt, crony-capitalist neoliberal.  He has more in common with Republicans like Pataki and Giuliani than with Democrats like Lyndon Johnson or FDR.

God help us if the DNC hands him the nomination in 2020.

We need to get rid of all the sleazy hacks and liars from government: McConnell, Schumer, Ryan, Pelosi, Christie, Cuomo, Paul LePage, Warren Wilhelm, Rahm Emanuel, Scott Walker... the list goes on.

Vote them all OUT.  

@R10/SubwayGuy: I retract my statement on Cuomo then. How do you feel about Schumer? You think he'd actually work for the common man? Or is he all talk?

@Subway Guy: True, but for argument's sake, let's say he had been elected with a majority (D) Congress. As for midterm 2018 elections, I think the Dems could have a chance to retake all three houses if folks actually get out and vote for midterms and the Dems have a progressive spine this time around.

Archived