F Train Loses Power and AC For Almost One Hour - Desperate Riders Break Through Doors

supposedly i heard in media that people were told it was train traffic ahead

There was train traffic ahead, probably at Kings Highway and Stillwell. That's why my C/R and I almost never used the "train traffic ahead" announcement. What the operating procedure is today I don't really know but improvising, even if it's the truth, are probably a no-no in today's RTO. In actuality only the trains close behind the incident train should use the "train traffic ahead" announcement once or twice and then make an announcement about the stalled train. That's my take.

supposedly i heard in media that people were told it was train traffic ahead

That's the default generic excuse. There could be rats playing poker in the middle of the track bed and the C/O will hit that "Train traffic" announcement.  

From my observations some Conductors hit the announcement as soon as the train stops outside the confines of a station, but since they're in the middle of the train they can't see what's actually going on. 

I have to be honest in saying that anytime I need to take the subway, I try to leave extra time to avoid getting on a packed train for this very reason.  I don't like hot weather and I don't like conditions where ventilation is lacking so I probably wouldn't have found myself on this train in the first place unless it wasn't that crowded.  I have no problem passing up a train if need be.  

Same with me whenever possible.  You get stuck on that and it's a big problem.

After my R46 fire experience at 207th, I deliberately avoid R46/R68 trains unless I have no choice because of the locked doors.

But after reading this, I wonder why (MTA) doesn't seem to have a plan for stuck trains/evacuation protocols, or why it takes so damn long to initiate them.

Someone likely was asleep at the switch IMO and should have been doing things differently.

If it were up to me, I would as noted before be doing a full investigation with those who messed up looking at severe discipline.

I suspect the (MTA) is going to be dealing with some serious lawsuits over this.

Over the past year or so, I've been growing to like the R46s, but this incident kinda set that back a little bit for me.

Another thing, and I'm not mincing words here at all. The (F) has absolutely no business running with R46s.

1. The R46s ain't built to hold the (F) crowds, hell they barely hold the (A)'s crowds.

2. The fact that they keep those end doors locked is equally unsafe and unsettling in the event of an emergency. With the (F) having a bad run lately, the MTA better be lucky this train stalled and lost power and didn't catch fire, because then they'd have much more to worry about than a lawsuit. Plus like many people said, the 160s would've provided a way out of that tunnel. By way of the end doors.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Over the past year or so, I've been growing to like the R46s, but this incident kinda set that back a little bit for me.

Another thing, and I'm not mincing words here at all. The (F) has absolutely no business running with R46s.

1. The R46s ain't built to hold the (F) crowds, hell they barely hold the (A)'s crowds.

2. The fact that they keep those end doors locked is equally unsafe and unsettling in the event of an emergency. With the (F) having a bad run lately, the MTA better be lucky this train stalled and lost power and didn't catch fire, because then they'd have much more to worry about than a lawsuit. Plus like many people said, the 160s would've provided a way out of that tunnel. By way of the end doors.

I agree why is R46's still on the  (F)....Jamaica should have enough cars for both (E)  (F) to be entirely R160's 

I agree why is R46's still on the  (F)....Jamaica should have enough cars for both (E)  (F) to be entirely R160's

Jamaica yard doesn't have enough R160s to cover the entire (F) fleet since they already sent some back to Coney Island in late June 2011 to put the R68/As from the (N) to the (G) according to Joe Korner's official website.

If you want the spare factor to be 20 cars, then sure... (that's a really really bad idea though)

(E) runs 26 trains (F) runs 44. That would be 70 trains=700 cars, where as Jamaica only has 720 R160's total.

As it is currently, to keep the current spare factor of 14% (720/670 gives you 1.142857143) you would need 800 R160's at Jamaica.

(800/700 also gives you 1.142857143)

If you want the spare factor to be 20 cars, then sure... (that's a really really bad idea though)

(E) runs 26 trains (F) runs 44. That would be 70 trains=700 cars, where as Jamaica only has 720 R160's total.

As it is currently, to keep the current spare factor of 14% (720/670 gives you 1.142857143) you would need 800 R160's at Jamaica.

I understand what you mean....I for one didnt know the  (F) needed 44...especially the way ppl talk about how long there waiting times are for the  (F).....One question tho...How is it that coney island has 3 services that uses nothing but r160's with a 100 cars less than jamaica on the (N)  (Q)  (W) ...A few r68's here and there...But for the most part nothing but r160s....

How is it that coney island has 3 services that uses nothing but r160's with a 100 cars less than jamaica on the (N)  (Q)  (W) ...A few r68's here and there...But for the most part nothing but r160s....

(N)(Q)(W) add up to about 60 trains. Off the top of my head, (N) / (W)  is about 35 trains and (Q) is somewhere around 20 trains. Much less than (E) and (F) combined.

What's wrong with the R46s being the spares? If they would have 20 R160 cars as spares, then if worse comes to worse they can use the R46s as needed. R46s can run on any of their lines anyways.

They just wanna get the last use outta their equipment before they go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's wrong with the R46s being the spares? If they would have 20 R160 cars as spares, then if worse comes to worse they can use the R46s as needed. R46s can run on any of their lines anyways.

They just wanna get the last use outta their equipment before they go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, the question asked was if the (E)(F) were 100% R160, which I assumed also included spares...

However, given your scenario where R46s are the spares:

R160s: 720 cars

(E) 26 trains, 260 cars

(F) 44 trains, 440 cars

spares: 2 trains, 20 cars

R46s: 364 cars

(R) 30 trains, 240 cars

spares: 15.5 trains, 124 cars 

Currently, there are 7 R160 spares and 8.5 R46 spares, so thats somehow an increase of two.

Only problem with this is that the R46's are going to get absolutely hammered on the (E) when that inevitably occurs under this plan, which is why they keep the R46s off the line currently.

Well, the question asked was if the (E)(F) were 100% R160, which I assumed also included spares...

However, given your scenario where R46s are the spares:

R160s: 720 cars

(E) 26 trains, 260 cars

(F) 44 trains, 440 cars

spares: 2 trains, 20 cars

R46s: 364 cars

(R) 30 trains, 240 cars

spares: 15.5 trains, 124 cars 

Currently, there are 7 R160 spares and 8.5 R46 spares, so thats somehow an increase of two.

Only problem with this is that the R46's are going to get absolutely hammered on the (E) when that inevitably occurs under this plan, which is why they keep the R46s off the line currently.

Did I read this right? R46s (possibly) going back on the (E)? Or is it my assumption?

Has anybody else waited over an hour and was stuck on a train? I feel bad for these people. And there was no a/c, well there was a power outage so makes sense.

When I went to Madrid I was stuck on a (5) train for 1.5 hours between the Ruben Dario and Alonso Martinez. It was dreadful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived