Railfanning, any areas to avoid for safety's sake?

duelingdragons

As far as I'm concerned, the subways are fine to wield a camera about, but I'd be more cautious if you were RFing at later hours in the night and there weren't many people around. Personally, I love to go RFing at night, but only in the more populous areas of the subway after 11, mostly because most lines that shut down stop running about that time.

As far as I'm concerned, the subways are fine to wield a camera about, but I'd be more cautious if you were RFing at later hours in the night and there weren't many people around. Personally, I love to go RFing at night, but only in the more populous areas of the subway after 11, mostly because most lines that shut down stop running about that time.

Yea, don't be at a station with very limited overnight service. You wanna be able to get outa there.

- A

On the (A), Grant Ave. is not too nice. I have never had a problem there, but if you are there, do not leave the station. Also the Brooklyn end of the (3) near New Lots Ave. If you are new to the whole rail fan thing in the subway, do it during the day till you start you learn what to expect. I personally love being out at 2 or even as late as 4am, but safety is what you make it. In some was it does not matter if you are at the 42nd Street Times Square station or some station out in East New York, if you don't give someone a reason for a problem, usually there won't be. The best advice might be "situational awareness" know what and who is around you and be alert at all times. Be safe out there.

I have gone railfanning at night several times and no trouble at all, of course if you don't fear the homeless or someone else bothering you. Overall I would say it's very safe, and most stations are filled with some people. I wouldn't recommend you to go to the stations that are mostly empty, but otherwise be careful as always and you're good to go. :P

The farock local stations on the (A) line. Board channel and rocaway park is safe.

OMG I hate the Far Rockaway station. You can see the beach from both sides of the platform and there's no one around. People always give you the eye.

So duelingdragons, I'd follow these three tips in shady areas:

1) Walk with a purpose

2) Don't make a lot of eye contact

3) Hope no one's looking back

The farock local stations on the (A) line. Board channel and rocaway park is safe.

This is a fact, railfanning or not. :P

As documented on other sites like oldnyc and nycsubway, the little used or abandoned LIRR lines in Brooklyn, Queens and The Bronx are a little risky due to homeless and the very dead areas they pass through.

Don't be in JC or newark after dark. Camden also not so safe. Parts of philly also not so good.

- A

Hey, what you trying to say about Jersey City....

Its not that bad in downtown JC during late hours. Only thing, theres no bus service or HBLR service after about 1 or 2 AM and they don't start up again til about 5 AM or so.

I wouldn't advise leaving the downtown JC area though, especially if you're heading south towards Bayonne.

Broad Channel scares the daylights out of me. I was there around 7 PM on a winter night and the place was virtually abandoned. I wouldn't fan there at night.

I would also avoid Pelham Bay Park on the (6) late at night as well. The area is virtually dead.

Dont try to railfan in Coney Island at night. Once, i was at stillwell avenue at around 12 midnight to take the train back to manhattan. The station was almost empty, but anyways, coney island is empty at night. So my advice is to not have a camera out, remember, the station is big, and you dont know what will happen.

On the (A), Grant Ave. is not too nice. I have never had a problem there, but if you are there, do not leave the station. Also the Brooklyn end of the (3) near New Lots Ave. If you are new to the whole rail fan thing in the subway, do it during the day till you start you learn what to expect. I personally love being out at 2 or even as late as 4am, but safety is what you make it. In some was it does not matter if you are at the 42nd Street Times Square station or some station out in East New York, if you don't give someone a reason for a problem, usually there won't be. The best advice might be "situational awareness" know what and who is around you and be alert at all times. Be safe out there.

Ha...Zoo Lots...

stay in well lit areas, ride with the train crew, best to bring a friend if you can when going late at night. During the day time EVERYthing is safe as long as you exercise common sense, night can be a different story though...

and best advice i can give you DRESS DOWN, do not dress like a tourist or as some buffs to, in all their subway memorabilia, that's just an invitation for people to go get you...

keep your camera away till you take a photo and take a book bag with you t o carry your goodies...

I'm with subwayguy. I usually hate carrying a camera bag, but a cheap $20 jansport bookbag from Modells keeps my camera away when it's not needed. Not necessarily for protection from shocks and bumps, just to keep it out of sight.

Broad Channel scares the daylights out of me. I was there around 7 PM on a winter night and the place was virtually abandoned. I wouldn't fan there at night.

I would also avoid Pelham Bay Park on the (6) late at night as well. The area is virtually dead.

Not really i live at Middletown Rd. i went there at 12am theres a few people there my aunt lives at Wilkinson av on the 6th floor So when i go at night i can see everything i always see few people.

Pelham is not a bad area,

none of the (2)(5) is bad, i know 219 on WP isnt gd

145th street on St Nich/Concorse lines meh not so much excellent...

heck every where in NY isnt gd, crime is going up :P

Not really i live at Middletown Rd. i went there at 12am theres a few people there my aunt lives at Wilkinson av on the 6th floor So when i go at night i can see everything i always see few people.

i guess people blame the bronx sometimes, i dont belive in that crap B) , bronx and manhattan is k0ol

pelham is not bad like ya said

Hey, what you trying to say about Jersey City....

Its not that bad in downtown JC during late hours. Only thing, theres no bus service or HBLR service after about 1 or 2 AM and they don't start up again til about 5 AM or so.

I wouldn't advise leaving the downtown JC area though, especially if you're heading south towards Bayonne.

wat abt newark?

I got 4 Letters for you

PATH

or anything Port Autority, those coppers are always around, so becareful

heck, all of PATH smells like bacon. esp WTC.

times sq on da shuttle is porker delight. i got busted there once.

LMAO

I thought I was the only person who kept smelling bacon in the PATH tunnel...

Hey now, no badmouthin' our men & women in blue. They are just there doing their job. Most of the time they leave you alone. Plus, photo and such in PATH is illegal without a permit, and a port authority person standin over your shoulder.

I'd much rather feel watched than be blown up any day on a train. :)

- A

Archived