Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

On 6/30/2022 at 10:53 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

I had  B/O on the Q46 today who announced that the Bus Redesign will go into effect in April (she literally announced it over the PA so that "ya'll can do yo homework because them bus stops gonna be changin'). Any one know if there is truth to that? Haven't seen it officially listed anywhere.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:48 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'll call it misinformation because it may not be intentional.

Whether she was misinformed or intentionally told a straight up lie with that, she comes across as a nutcase to me either way... It's as if she has a certain glee about the whole thing; wtf is "them bus stop's gonna be changin" all about???.... If you're not going to exude a certain concern for riders with sharing such information (if it's actually true, of course), then either convey the information in a matter-of-fact fashion, or withhold it altogether....

On 7/2/2022 at 5:17 PM, Prospect said:

The fact that these redesigns space bus stops such a far distance apart reflects that ADA compliance was never a priority to the MTA in the first place. I don't see their vision having anything to do with ADA compliance unfortunately. For a handicapped individual who doesn't live near a major intersection/designated stop, they're ultimately stranded under those conditions. It excludes certain groups, and is not a correct way to go about this. It's a prominent flaw that has to be addressed.

Way I see it, Subway ADA compliance & increased distance between bus stops (even if some given bus route runs along some subway line) are two separate issues... The whole increased distance between bus stops bit, is an attempt to increase bus speeds... That isn't to imply that the MTA doesn't have ulterior motives, but my thing is, the MTA has shown that they're willing to eliminate bus service that run along subway lines.... That is in direct opposition with the notion that they'd use bus service (that runs along a subway line) as a half-cocked way of addressing ADA compliance issues with the subway....

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I wonder if the Q26 should have been extended to the former Q75's terminal without a redesign. I see robbing Peter to pay Paul with this Q26/27 swap

Maybe, except that the Q27's main problem is that it's trying to be everything for everybody. The Redesign plan splits its various functions (Flushing-QCC, Flushing-Southeast, Southeast-QCC) among three different routes.

On 6/28/2022 at 4:29 PM, MTA Dude said:

Here's a map of what I would do for the Queens bus redesign. It's not finished yet (so no labels) but hopefully it's enough to understand the details of each route. I recommend downloading the PDF since Google Drive's PDF viewer isn't that good IMO.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O2S3c3NDRbgXfH_oRwAFfIbeSaDuKxXl/view?usp=sharing

A few notes:

• The B62 isn't shown on the map but I would keep it the same as it is now north of Williamsburg, I didn't just leave Jackson Ave with no bus service.
  • I have the Q11 going to Forest Hills and the Q21 going to Elmhurst
  • No, that is not the Q49 merged with the B57
  • Q52 still exists with its current day service pattern
  • Flushing, Jamaica, and Rego Park are left blank, and that's because I still need to make separate insets for them. I'll list the routes that go through these hubs; routes not listed terminate within the hub.
  • In Jamaica I want Archer Ave to be a full busway between Merrick and Sutphin, instead of what we currently have with Jamaica Ave. All routes except the Q56 currently on Jamaica Ave should be moved to this new busway.

Flushing:

• Q12 - Northern to Kissena Blvds
  • Q17 - Sanford Ave to Linden Pl / College Point
  • Q19 - straight across Roosevelt as proposed by the MTA
  • Q20 - Main St to Mitchell Gardens
  • Q25 - Kissena Blvd to Union St
  • Q27 - 46 Av to College Point Blvd
  • Q44 - Main St to Linden Pl / Whitestone Expy
  • Q50 - GCP from LGA, makes a loop around Main, 39 Av, and Prince, then follows Q44 to the Bronx

Jamaica:

• Q6 - Hillside to Sutphin via Archer Ave, similar to what's proposed by the MTA
  • Q9 - Utopia Pkwy to 130th St
  • Q24 - merged with the Q42
  • Q43 - merged with the Q40 running along Hillside Ave
  • Q65 - extended past its current terminal to serve Tuskegee Airmen Way and the projects on 160th St
  • Q110 - Jamaica Ave to Liberty Ave as proposed by the MTA

Rego Park:

• Q38 - Eliot Ave to 99th St / northern part of current Q23
  • Q53 - same as current day
  • Q57 - express "SBS" version of Q58, HHE to Eliot Ave
  • Q59 - takes over the current Q38 to 108th St
  • Q60 - across Queens Blvd

And here's the biggest changes to the Rockaways (taken from an older version of the map I made 2 years ago when the redesign was first released):

https://i.imgur.com/0OJpf2c.png

I'm probably the least confident with what I did with Maspeth. I thought I was doing something by moving the Q67 onto the LIE, but that only produces a significant time savings outside of rush hours when there isn't traffic. The Q18 was added at the last minute because I wanted to maintain access to industrial Maspeth from 69th St, but now I'm probably just overserving that area. And I just don't know what to do with the northern part of the Q103 or southern part of the Q38, since the Q67 is the only one in the area that match their frequencies and I don't like having them as standalone routes.

That Q10, not only am I against the idea the line going to Fresh Meadows, but the southbound routing would be a disaster, as it would actually have to go to 78th AVenue and then loop around, which is counterintuitive for that kind of route along. It's not a straight shot as you've designed it.

Shortening the Q56 at the hospital, not a fan either. The Q55 maybe, but the Q56 should continue going to Jamaica. Ridership isn't low enough to warrant it to be removed from Jamaica(unless that part of the map is still being developed).

I just hope the Q110 isn't the sole line along Jamaica Avenue, because.....oof:excl:

On 7/10/2022 at 11:48 PM, Cait Sith said:

That Q10, not only am I against the idea the line going to Fresh Meadows, but the southbound routing would be a disaster, as it would actually have to go to 78th AVenue and then loop around, which is counterintuitive for that kind of route along. It's not a straight shot as you've designed it.

Shortening the Q56 at the hospital, not a fan either. The Q55 maybe, but the Q56 should continue going to Jamaica. Ridership isn't low enough to warrant it to be removed from Jamaica(unless that part of the map is still being developed).

I just hope the Q110 isn't the sole line along Jamaica Avenue, because.....oof:excl:

I think the Q10 to Fresh Meadows is a better version of the Q10/Q64 merge, which was trying to combine two high density routes to run artics on and provide connections between Lefferts Blvd and points east of the Van Wyck without having to go through Jamaica. I'm aware of the southbound routing on 78th Ave, and while it is a bit annoying, I don't see a huge problem with it.

I'm assuming your comment on Jamaica Ave is about Downtown Jamaica. I get that all the stores are on Jamaica Ave and Archer Ave is much more barren, but Archer Ave is almost fully contained within Downtown Jamaica, making it a much better busway than Jamaica Ave IMO without being too far of a walk. I chose the Q56 as the sole Jamaica Ave line because a good chunk of the line serves as a (J) supplement, so it can afford to stay on the more congested Jamaica Ave and preserve the connection to 171st St. That's also why I have it making that loop to directly serve Jamaica Hospital in both directions. 

As for the map itself, the only major thing left to do is labelling the insets with bus routes, stops, and street names. Not sure when I'll get to it though.

On 7/10/2022 at 11:48 PM, Cait Sith said:

I don't like that sleight of hand idea of theirs in conjoining the Q36, Q110, and Q112... There's boatloads of traffic on Liberty and Jamaica Avenues that would make me want to get off and walk if I were on that thing sitting like a duck...especially if it's the sole option on Jamaica Av, no thanks!

Just now, Prospect said:

I don't like that sleight of hand idea of theirs in conjoining the Q36, Q110, and Q112... There's boatloads of traffic on Liberty and Jamaica Avenues that would make me want to get off and walk if I were on that thing sitting like a duck...especially if it's the sole option on Jamaica Av, no thanks!

Same...as someone who lives within blocks of Liberty Avenue, that Q112 does not need to merge with any other, elongated route, even if the benefit comes with 24/7 service.

1 hour ago, Prospect said:

I feel the same way about the Q25 which not only will absorb all Q17/Q27 ridership along Kissena Blvd but it also take a huge chunk of the Q4/Q5/Q84/Q85 ridership along Merrick Blvd which is absurd. 
It is bad enough buses have a tendency to bunch so badly to the point where you’d have a 30 min gap during rush hour and then finally when the bus does come there are about 5-6 buses running back to back. 

I rather them keep the Q10, Q23, Q25, Q64, Q112 and etc the way they are versus making them into the mess the MTA is trying to turn them into. 

5 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Then it will have to run very frequently to pick up all that slack.

Which won’t make a difference if buses are still bunching up. Even with the addition of bus lanes through Flushing and Jamaica, I still experience moments (mainly during the PM rush) where maybe it’s around 6-7pm and I had to wait 20-30 minutes for a bus to show up. 
I think the best thing to do is to have the Q25 run from Flushing Main Street to Jamaica LIRR, remove a few close stops and perhaps add an all day limited service to make up for lack of Q17, Q27 and Q34 service. On the weekends the Q25 is painfully slow during the day because it literally stops at every stop and it gets stuck behind most of the lights. This is why I opt for the Q44 because it speeds along and even the Q20A doesn’t stop at every stop along it’s route. 

The main focus of the redesign should be to make travel faster and more convenient for riders. I don’t mind a combined Q10 and Q64 during the late evenings and at night when headways increase and commute times increase. However to have those two routes being combined at all times is a disaster waiting to happen. I don’t even mind having a combined Q5 and Q25 route but I think it should be a part of a night system. I really wish in the redesign the MTA could have came up with a night system like some other transit agencies have because that could be one way to increase ridership.  

23 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I feel the same way about the Q25 which not only will absorb all Q17/Q27 ridership along Kissena Blvd but it also take a huge chunk of the Q4/Q5/Q84/Q85 ridership along Merrick Blvd which is absurd. 
It is bad enough buses have a tendency to bunch so badly to the point where you’d have a 30 min gap during rush hour and then finally when the bus does come there are about 5-6 buses running back to back. 

I rather them keep the Q10, Q23, Q25, Q64, Q112 and etc the way they are versus making them into the mess the MTA is trying to turn them into. 

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Which won’t make a difference if buses are still bunching up. Even with the addition of bus lanes through Flushing and Jamaica, I still experience moments (mainly during the PM rush) where maybe it’s around 6-7pm and I had to wait 20-30 minutes for a bus to show up. 
I think the best thing to do is to have the Q25 run from Flushing Main Street to Jamaica LIRR, remove a few close stops and perhaps add an all day limited service to make up for lack of Q17, Q27 and Q34 service. On the weekends the Q25 is painfully slow during the day because it literally stops at every stop and it gets stuck behind most of the lights. This is why I opt for the Q44 because it speeds along and even the Q20A doesn’t stop at every stop along it’s route. 

The Q25's problem is simply the fact that it operates out of CP, I haven't seen a single CP route that actually runs efficiently. Routes like the Q17/27 have alwasy run better than the Q25/65 with more consist headways and less bunching. IMO the ability for the proposed Q25 to succeed will probably depend a lot more on who operates the line than the route itself. Additionally it seems like the route proposal is designed to be able to accommodate artic buses so I wouldn't be surprised if it would be slated for artic conversion after the redesign is complete.

I wouldn't defend the proposed Q25 but I there seems to be more going on here than what the proposal alone shows. 

15 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

So just moving a route can make it run better? What if the drivers move with it?

The QM4 ran a lot better when it was moved from CP to BP. A lot less missing trips and drivers kicking everyone off at Herald.

IMO it comes down to management, if management doesn't care what drivers do they'll do whatever they want. From my experience with a lot of CP routes some drivers actively avoid picking up passengers by any means necessary, this includes hiding behind other buses on the same line, driving on the left lane, and speeding past other buses (or obstacles) at a stop without checking if passengers want to get on their bus. A couple months ago during winter I was getting the Q66 at night and there were these 2 ladies were running for the bus maybe 20-30 seconds away. I stood by the doorway to ensure that they got on and the op was furious with me and yelling at me for that, knowing damn well it was freezing and the next bus was half an hour behind, and he wanted to take off and leave them behind. If a depo is actively making the customer experience worse for passengers it will affect any line it runs. I've had many instances with CS, JA, and QV ops seeing me running or even walking up to a bus and wait for me. I even had an instance with a QV driver waiting for me even tho I was running from a couple blocks away, but I have and could never expect a B/O from CP do the same instead I see them do the opposite.

I'm not saying every driver at CP is bad (I've seen a couple great ones from there), but most of my bad experiences with drivers usually come from CP and any community that gets stuck with them after the redesign won't have reliable service.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:02 PM, IAlam said:

The Q25's problem is simply the fact that it operates out of CP, I haven't seen a single CP route that actually runs efficiently. Routes like the Q17/27 have alwasy run better than the Q25/65 with more consist headways and less bunching. IMO the ability for the proposed Q25 to succeed will probably depend a lot more on who operates the line than the route itself. Additionally it seems like the route proposal is designed to be able to accommodate artic buses so I wouldn't be surprised if it would be slated for artic conversion after the redesign is complete.

I wouldn't defend the proposed Q25 but I there seems to be more going on here than what the proposal alone shows. 

Yeah, but I feel that the civil service process pretty much kills the incentive to hire employees of quality in general, which, believe it or not, creates a bitter experience for some passengers. I'll never forget the time I got on the Q28 (Dispatched out of CS?) and there were 2 buses on layer. When I asked the B/O which bus would be leaving first he barked, "Which one do you think, huh?!" in a flustered tone. I got on his bus, paid the fare, and the guy proceeded to mouth off to me saying "how stupid of a question it was." Another night I had got on the Q12 on Northern/Springfield with some irate driver at the wheel. It was me and another guy waiting at the bus stop, I got on first, but the guy behind me took an extra 5 seconds to take his MetroCard out of his wallet and the B/O yelled, "you going to get on or not!" and slammed the door in his face and pulled off. I understand that working with the public isn't easy, and I've seen the livelihood sucked out of some newcomers, but you shouldn't be employed in a role in which you're incapable of adapting too. Never let a job change you. If you're optimistic and positive, resist the urge to become withdrawn and moody like so many of the bus drivers are. Some drivers do care. It brings me joy when I get them, but too many are few and far between. Flipping off customers, mouthing off to someone who never meant to cause you trouble, blatantly driving past people waiting at bus stops, I've encountered it.

8 hours ago, IAlam said:

I'm not saying every driver at CP is bad (I've seen a couple great ones from there), but most of my bad experiences with drivers usually come from CP and any community that gets stuck with them after the redesign won't have reliable service.

Remember that MTA Bus drivers represented by TWU are allowed to change depots when their routes move. Would a "bad" driver at CP suddenly become "good" just by picking into BP?

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Remember that MTA Bus drivers represented by TWU are allowed to change depots when their routes move. Would a "bad" driver at CP suddenly become "good" just by picking into BP?

Of course not, and why are you putting bad and good in quotes for as if to be sarcastic? You can replace that with professional and unprofessional, which is exactly what it is. The driver's job is to pick-up passengers and let them off, end of story.  From my experiences, Queens has some of the least professional bus operators (don't know about local, but express, especially College Point is horrendous) and it is disgusting to see such behavior in 2022, especially what was happening during the pandemic where drivers were looking to see who was waiting at the bus stop, then changing their sign to NOT IN SERVICE and driving by, purposely bypassing people just because of their ethnic or racial background when they were Asian. They are providing service to the public, whether they like them or not doesn't matter. Just pick them up and drop them off and keep it moving. 

From the sexism I have seen where CP drivers clearly go out of their way to pick up women and men have to basically run into the street and practically be run over just to get drivers to stop, to drivers arbitrarily kicking riders off of the bus at 36th & 6th because they don't feel like going up to 57th St, etc. All of that needs to be addressed. That was another reason I started my group. Everyone should get professional service, especially if they haven't done anything to deserve such behavior, and unfortunately I have seen men (of all colors) treated terribly. I saw a heated exchange between a White QM2 rider and a Black driver at 36th & 6th, and I have had a number of Black CP bus operators imply that they were doing me a favor taking me to the last stop when they are paid to do so. I was purposely requesting the last stop just to see what would happen because many riders were complaining about such behavior, so I took some trips just to see what would happen and was appalled by what I experienced on the QM5 and QM6 especially and was sure to speak with the (MTA) about it. My experiences when I have needed those buses to commute to Queens has been better, but there is still this hostile attitude with quite a few CP drivers, and that is because management at that depot tolerates such behavior of passengers. They need to clean house there, from the dispatchers to upper management.

I had an exchange with a Hispanic dispatcher at 36th & 6th. He had us transfer to another QM bus and then gestured in a way to show his disgust with me. It wasn't clear if he knew who I was or was just being hostile because of my background, but either way it was unacceptable, as if to say go over there and get the **** out of my face. Sometimes things are done to try to provoke riders, so as I become older, I have learned how to hold myself and not act out. The younger me probably would've read him the riot act, but since I was riding to see what I would experience, I ignored him.

You have a lot of racism and sexism at the (MTA) in many forms.

I've had a saying that I hate everybody equally, but when it comes to dealing with people in person, I treat people with respect as human beings. That's all that is needed. Don't need to love people.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Of course not, and why are you putting bad and good in quotes for as if to be sarcastic? You can replace that with professional and unprofessional, which is exactly what it is. The driver's job is to pick-up passengers and let them off, end of story.  From my experiences, Queens has some of the least professional bus operators (don't know about local, but express, especially College Point is horrendous) and it is disgusting to see such behavior in 2022, especially what was happening during the pandemic where drivers were looking to see who was waiting at the bus stop, then changing their sign to NOT IN SERVICE and driving by, purposely bypassing people just because of their ethnic or racial background when they were Asian. They are providing service to the public, whether they like them or not doesn't matter. Just pick them up and drop them off and keep it moving. 

From the sexism I have seen where CP drivers clearly go out of their way to pick up women and men have to basically run into the street and practically be run over just to get drivers to stop, to drivers arbitrarily kicking riders off of the bus at 36th & 6th because they don't feel like going up to 57th St, etc. All of that needs to be addressed. That was another reason I started my group. Everyone should get professional service, especially if they haven't done anything to deserve such behavior, and unfortunately I have seen men (of all colors) treated terribly. I saw a heated exchange between a White QM2 rider and a Black driver at 36th & 6th, and I have had a number of Black CP bus operators imply that they were doing me a favor taking me to the last stop when they are paid to do so. I was purposely requesting the last stop just to see what would happen because many riders were complaining about such behavior, so I took some trips just to see what would happen and was appalled by what I experienced on the QM5 and QM6 especially and was sure to speak with the (MTA) about it. My experiences when I have needed those buses to commute to Queens has been better, but there is still this hostile attitude with quite a few CP drivers, and that is because management at that depot tolerates such behavior of passengers. They need to clean house there, from the dispatchers to upper management.

I had an exchange with a Hispanic dispatcher at 36th & 6th. He had us transfer to another QM bus and then gestured in a way to show his disgust with me. It wasn't clear if he knew who I was or was just being hostile because of my background, but either way it was unacceptable, as if to say go over there and get the **** out of my face. Sometimes things are done to try to provoke riders, so as I become older, I have learned how to hold myself and not act out. The younger me probably would've read him the riot act, but since I was riding to see what I would experience, I ignored him.

You have a lot of racism and sexism at the (MTA) in many forms.

I've had a saying that I hate everybody equally, but when it comes to dealing with people in person, I treat people with respect as human beings. That's all that is needed. Don't need to love people.

Geez I knew it bad but I never even realized it was to that extent, but some of the thign you mention even apply to the locals as well so many times for both express and locals I'd have to be flagging and waving at them on the street to stop even if it's obvious that I want to get on their bus, they just stop on the left side of the street annoyed that they had to stop for me. A lot for them want to get to the other end of the line as fast as possible picking up the least amount of passengers. Honestly some of these ops wanna do anything but their job. That's why regardless of what these final routes look like anyone that get stuck with CP as the operator of their route looses.

5 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

To answer you question VG8 basically explains it (highlighted in red), it comes down to management shrugging off bad behavior or actively participating in it. Many other depos would not tolerate half the thing CP ops get away with. 

44 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Geez I knew it bad but I never even realized it was to that extent, but some of the thign you mention even apply to the locals as well so many times for both express and locals I'd have to be flagging and waving at them on the street to stop even if it's obvious that I want to get on their bus, they just stop on the left side of the street annoyed that they had to stop for me. A lot for them want to get to the other end of the line as fast as possible picking up the least amount of passengers. Honestly some of these ops wanna do anything but their job. That's why regardless of what these final routes look like anyone that get stuck with CP as the operator of their route looses.

To answer you question VG8 basically explains it (highlighted in red), it comes down to management shrugging off bad behavior or actively participating in it. Many other depos would not tolerate half the thing CP ops get away with. 

I had one of the union reps in my group who represents College Point who commented point blank that most of the complaints that passengers have are BS, so with a union head that is not customer-centric, it very well explains the attitude at College Point. They have a lot of service and they don't give a damn about the riders, unless they are attractive women.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:49 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They have a lot of service and they don't give a damn about the riders, unless they are attractive women.

I can personally confirm that lol. I find that adjusting interior mirrors to check out women is just a little too creepy for my liking. 

1 hour ago, JAzumah said:

I can personally confirm that lol. I find that adjusting interior mirrors to check out women is just a little too creepy for my liking. 

Listen, historically speaking, that's what happens. Summertime, you're going to have women being checked out. I get it, but as I said, when it comes to picking up passengers, everyone should be treated the same. Unfortunately that has never been the case. I'm just tired of seeing it.

22 hours ago, JAzumah said:

That's not creepy. It's just checking out women. No one was touched, harassed, or stalked. I'd be shocked if our lady B/O's aren't doing the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a map of what I would do for the Queens bus redesign. It's not finished yet (so no labels) but hopefully it's enough to understand the details of each route. I recommend downloading the PDF since Google Drive's PDF viewer isn't that good IMO.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O2S3c3NDRbgXfH_oRwAFfIbeSaDuKxXl/view?usp=sharing

A few notes:

• The B62 isn't shown on the map but I would keep it the same as it is now north of Williamsburg, I didn't just leave Jackson Ave with no bus service.
  • Flushing, Jamaica, and Rego Park are left blank, and that's because I still need to make separate insets for them. I'll list the routes that go through these hubs; routes not listed terminate within the hub.
  • In Jamaica I want Archer Ave to be a full busway between Merrick and Sutphin, instead of what we currently have with Jamaica Ave. All routes except the Q56 currently on Jamaica Ave should be moved to this new busway.

Flushing:

• Q50 - GCP from LGA, makes a loop around Main, 39 Av, and Prince, then follows Q44 to the Bronx

Jamaica:

• Q6 - Hillside to Sutphin via Archer Ave, similar to what's proposed by the MTA
  • Q65 - extended past its current terminal to serve Tuskegee Airmen Way and the projects on 160th St

Rego Park:

And here's the biggest changes to the Rockaways (taken from an older version of the map I made 2 years ago when the redesign was first released):

I'm probably the least confident with what I did with Maspeth. I thought I was doing something by moving the Q67 onto the LIE, but that only produces a significant time savings outside of rush hours when there isn't traffic. The Q18 was added at the last minute because I wanted to maintain access to industrial Maspeth from 69th St, but now I'm probably just overserving that area. And I just don't know what to do with the northern part of the Q103 or southern part of the Q38, since the Q67 is the only one in the area that match their frequencies and I don't like having them as standalone routes.

All I can say is wow, this is pretty out there, but I like how you designed the map. 

A few notes:

Flushing:

Jamaica:

Rego Park:

b2ea89819b53c567bb95b3d8ec6adf9c.png

Not only is this map proposal is super out there, you still have a big transit dessert, there is zero North-South Queens local routes between Springfield Blvd and Little Neck Pkwy. Northeast Queens needs better treatment and well like the MTA themselves, you ignored this area of Queens.