Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

7 hours ago, Krocyoin said:

b2ea89819b53c567bb95b3d8ec6adf9c.png

Not only is this map proposal is super out there, you still have a big transit dessert, there is zero North-South Queens local routes between Springfield Blvd and Little Neck Pkwy. Northeast Queens needs better treatment and well like the MTA themselves, you ignored this area of Queens. 

So you want service on Douglaston Parkway? I don’t think there’s a demand for that. “If you create the line the demand will increase”, I don't think it will.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, NBTA said:

So you want service on Douglaston Parkway? I don’t think there’s a demand for that. “If you create the line the demand will increase”, I don't think it will.

This bus route could run between Jamaica-165th Street and Douglaston LIRR, Via Hillside Avenue, Winchester Boulevard, and Douglaston Parkway. I don't expect it to have very high ridership but it will be a route filler for an area with a transit dessert. 

7 hours ago, Krocyoin said:

This bus route could run between Jamaica-165th Street and Douglaston LIRR, Via Hillside Avenue, Winchester Boulevard, and Douglaston Parkway. I don't expect it to have very high ridership but it will be a route filler for an area with a transit dessert. 

Not sure if it's physically or politically possible for buses to access the Douglaston station.

5 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Not sure if it's physically or politically possible for buses to access the Douglaston station.

He also updated the map, labels, I don’t think the Bx41 was coming into queens, but he put that too. 

14 hours ago, Krocyoin said:

You don't need a bus in every area just because it's a transit desert. This is an example. The people that live there like it the way it is. 

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You don't need a bus in every area just because it's a transit desert. This is an example. The people that live there like it the way it is. 

You may be right but from 2010 to 2013, people in Little Neck were complaining that the Q79 got eliminated so the MTA extended some Q36 trips in 2013, but have you ever seen more than 8 people on a Q36 bus along Little Neck Parkway? Cause most of the time there isn't.

14 minutes ago, Krocyoin said:

You may be right but from 2010 to 2013, people in Little Neck were complaining that the Q79 got eliminated so the MTA extended some Q36 trips in 2013, but have you ever seen more than 8 people on a Q36 bus along Little Neck Parkway? Cause most of the time there isn't.

Service should reflect needs, so over serving a neighborhood just because it's a transit desert... Need to dig deeper. Douglaston is mainly low density, and yes there is some demand for service and the service provided should reflect that, but as I said earlier, there are plenty of people that like it the way it is and drive, so you have to take that into consideration. 

On 8/17/2022 at 11:53 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Service should reflect needs, so over serving a neighborhood just because it's a transit desert... Need to dig deeper. Douglaston is mainly low density, and yes there is some demand for service and the service provided should reflect that, but as I said earlier, there are plenty of people that like it the way it is and drive, so you have to take that into consideration. 

That is true.

But in general I find that Queens bus map proposal to be horrendous, most routes are fine as they are currently, I do agree with rerouting some routes like the Q31 and Q76 but the Q31 should still serve the Jamaica LIRR Station, also routes like the Q30, Q34, Q40, and Q114 shouldn't be eliminated. Q34 should be kept and be extended to Willets Point/Francis Lewis Boulevards and the Q34 should operate on the Weekends between Bayside-Francis Lewis Blvd and Flushing-Main Street, Q48/Q50 merger makes sense, and the Q32 extension to 108th Street also makes sense, this would make the Q32 closer to Casey Stengel Depot making it better for bus operators in that depot. Q26 should be extended to College Point via 14th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard which would make this route more useful.

Edited by Krocyoin

1 hour ago, Krocyoin said:

But in general I find that Queens bus map proposal to be horrendous, most routes are fine as they are currently, I do agree with rerouting some routes like the Q31 and Q76 but the Q31 should still serve the Jamaica LIRR Station, also routes like the Q30, Q34, Q40, and Q114 shouldn't be eliminated. Q34 should be kept and be extended to Willets Point/Francis Lewis Boulevards and the Q34 should operate on the Weekends between Bayside-Francis Lewis Blvd and Flushing-Main Street, Q48/Q50 merger makes sense, and the Q32 extension to 108th Street also makes sense, this would make the Q32 closer to Casey Stengel Depot making it better for bus operators in that depot. Q26 should be extended to College Point via 14th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard which would make this route more useful.

What need is there to extend the Q34 a few blocks to Francis Lewis Boulevard? I've been on that bus plenty of times in the AM rush hour and was almost always the last person on the bus getting off at the last stop there... However, the idea of running the Q34 between Flushing and Whitestone on weekends might work though. They run the Q26 to primarily supplement and alleviate the Q27; it serves it's function when necessary. How would the Q26 benefit by being extended to College Point using Parsons Boulevard and 14th Avenue? It would be redundant to the Q20A, Q20B, and Q44-SBS if it ran using the streets you're proposing. Not only that, but there would be no connection to the subway at all under that configuration. Respectfully, I want to see the insight here.

19 hours ago, Prospect said:

What need is there to extend the Q34 a few blocks to Francis Lewis Boulevard? I've been on that bus plenty of times in the AM rush hour and was almost always the last person on the bus getting off at the last stop there... However, the idea of running the Q34 between Flushing and Whitestone on weekends might work though. They run the Q26 to primarily supplement and alleviate the Q27; it serves it's function when necessary. How would the Q26 benefit by being extended to College Point using Parsons Boulevard and 14th Avenue? It would be redundant to the Q20A, Q20B, and Q44-SBS if it ran using the streets you're proposing. Not only that, but there would be no connection to the subway at all under that configuration. Respectfully, I want to see the insight here.

The reason why the Q34 should be extended to Francis Lewis Boulevard is because there is no local service on Willets Point Boulevard for a good mile, and for the Q26, I made a route map proposal so that it would still serve the Flushing-Main Street subway and LIRR stations.

Q26_newbusroute.png

For the Q4 and X64(or should I say QM64) extension to Elmont, it’s a very good idea! Elmont does have the n1 that goes to Jamaica yes, but the problem is, it only goes to Jamaica in the mornings. You also have the n6 and n6X that go to Jamaica as well. Imo the Q4 extension to Elmont is an excellent idea because ths southern parts of Elmont and northern parts Valley Stream has no bus service and buses would operate every 5-15 minutes heading to and from Elmont. I would make a suggestion however, I would extend the Q4 in Elmont so it could serve Elmont Road just like the n1 and make it’s last stop at Hempstead Turnpike.

As for the X64 / QM64, another idea I personally like, it was proposed in the previous Queens Redesign from 2019-2020 that there would be an express route serving Elmont, now that will be happening thanks to the QM64! The QM64 has been extended from Cambria Heights 235th Street(Q4 also makes it’s last stop here as well) to Elmont Road and Dutch Broadway, the QM64 should make its first/last stop at Elmont Road and Hempstead Turnpike as well just like what I proposed for the Q4. 

On 8/18/2022 at 2:54 AM, Prospect said:

What need is there to extend the Q34 a few blocks to Francis Lewis Boulevard? I've been on that bus plenty of times in the AM rush hour and was almost always the last person on the bus getting off at the last stop there... However, the idea of running the Q34 between Flushing and Whitestone on weekends might work though.

Because that's the off-peak direction during the AM rush unless you're going to the schools around Memorial Field.  The AM rush would be going towards Flushing for the subway.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:07 PM, MTABusTransitFanner said:

For the Q4 and X64(or should I say QM64) extension to Elmont, it’s a very good idea! Elmont does have the n1 that goes to Jamaica yes, but the problem is, it only goes to Jamaica in the mornings. You also have the n6 and n6X that go to Jamaica as well. Imo the Q4 extension to Elmont is an excellent idea because ths southern parts of Elmont and northern parts Valley Stream has no bus service and buses would operate every 5-15 minutes heading to and from Elmont. I would make a suggestion however, I would extend the Q4 in Elmont so it could serve Elmont Road just like the n1 and make it’s last stop at Hempstead Turnpike.

As for the X64 / QM64, another idea I personally like, it was proposed in the previous Queens Redesign from 2019-2020 that there would be an express route serving Elmont, now that will be happening thanks to the QM64! The QM64 has been extended from Cambria Heights 235th Street(Q4 also makes it’s last stop here as well) to Elmont Road and Dutch Broadway, the QM64 should make its first/last stop at Elmont Road and Hempstead Turnpike as well just like what I proposed for the Q4. 

The rare few good things about the Queens bus redesign plan.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:07 PM, MTABusTransitFanner said:

Meaning having the Q4/QM64 go down Elmont Road to Hempstead Tpk???  Knowing that area very well traffic could be overkill during the AM/PM rush especially with the schools in the area. However, I think this could work with good marketing. Worse case scenario. Leave as is on Elmont Road & Linden Blvd.

I hope the TA could revisit the North Shore University Hospital- Manhasset to Jamaica via Hillside. Make it a super express (rush hours, mid-days, and evenings until 11PM)

On 8/17/2022 at 11:34 PM, Krocyoin said:

While this is true, I still think the ridership along the Little Neck Pkwy portion of the Q36 is higher (at lease pre-pandemic) than the Q79 was due to the direct connection to Jamaica.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:47 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

It is physically possible as LIRR shuttle buses (ex. the MCIs) have done it without issue as there are roundabouts on both sides of the station plus school buses use it as a turnaround point on school days. But yeah, politically, something like this might not go over well unless there are clear benefits to bringing additional "congestion" to an area like that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 10:47 PM, User said:

While this is true, I still think the ridership along the Little Neck Pkwy portion of the Q36 is higher (at lease pre-pandemic) than the Q79 was due to the direct connection to Jamaica.

It is physically possible as LIRR shuttle buses (ex. the MCIs) have done it without issue as there are roundabouts on both sides of the station plus school buses use it as a turnaround point on school days. But yeah, politically, something like this might not go over well unless there are clear benefits to bringing additional "congestion" to an area like that.

Well that's interesting. 

I have a question. In the draft plan, both the old and new ones, there is a bus that travels the length of 73rd Ave (the QT87 or the Q73). So clearly, they believe that 73rd should have bus service the entire length. But I noticed there are now speed bumps on 73rd west of Utopia Pkwy. Would they remove them if they routed a bus down the street, or would they likely reroute the bus? There is no reason to have the bumps either, since there is already a speed camera on the same block and a traffic light that cars would have to slow down for. This is just one example I have noticed where the city is making driving worse for people, similar to the traffic lights placed at 188th St and 64th Aves traffic circle. If an QM5 was serving Fresh Meadows, the route went from just looping around the traffic circle and making the stop, to having to deal with FOUR traffic lights. 

2 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

I have a question. In the draft plan, both the old and new ones, there is a bus that travels the length of 73rd Ave (the QT87 or the Q73). So clearly, they believe that 73rd should have bus service the entire length. But I noticed there are now speed bumps on 73rd west of Utopia Pkwy. Would they remove them if they routed a bus down the street, or would they likely reroute the bus? 

I fully expect the Q73 to be "NIMBYed" away.

22 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

I have a question. In the draft plan, both the old and new ones, there is a bus that travels the length of 73rd Ave (the QT87 or the Q73). So clearly, they believe that 73rd should have bus service the entire length. But I noticed there are now speed bumps on 73rd west of Utopia Pkwy. Would they remove them if they routed a bus down the street, or would they likely reroute the bus? There is no reason to have the bumps either, since there is already a speed camera on the same block and a traffic light that cars would have to slow down for. This is just one example I have noticed where the city is making driving worse for people, similar to the traffic lights placed at 188th St and 64th Aves traffic circle. If an QM5 was serving Fresh Meadows, the route went from just looping around the traffic circle and making the stop, to having to deal with FOUR traffic lights. 

They bus would probably just go over them, I do suspect the Q73 has a really high potential for a new route but it needs adjustments. 

• 2 weeks later...