New: Complete Overnight Service Shutdown

MHV9218

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/4/2020 at 10:02 AM, JAzumah said:

I can tell you this. If those trains run without passengers on them, I will make it my business to make sure that the MTA gets absolutely ZERO more dollars for virus relief from the federal government.

We aren't going to play the snowstorm game again. If the trains run, they run with passengers. You can run the train through system checkpoints and remove homeless people as need be. However, we are not going to run shuttle buses on top of trains that are running. We are not going to have the MTA paying for Ubers on top of operational subways.

I was talking with someone about this earlier who thinks that the (MTA) may try to run Ubers and Lyfts to cut bus and train service overnight down the road.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I was talking with someone about this earlier who thinks that the (MTA) may try to run Ubers and Lyfts to cut bus and train service overnight down the road.

They will try it, but it will only be successful with a Via style operation on a microbus (9-14 passengers) that has a designated territory. Typical Ubers and Lyfts are too small to handle the natural fluctuation of passenger loads. If Uber/Lyft up their volume of Metris vehicles, they could make it interesting.

If you look at the overall trip costs, the small FHV model looks great. If you look at their unit costs, the picture would be horrendous. Typical paratransit costs about $90/hour to operate. Uber/Lyft would try to get $75-80/hour to have enough wheelchair-accessible vehicles in the pool. The fully allocated MTA bus cost is $225, with the cash cost being about $180/hour. I would rather that the MTA maximize the utilization of its own fleet for normal operations and only use Uber/Lyft etc for paratransit. In a semi-normal environment, subways should run at night unless construction windows are needed. It is folly to even consider replacing subways with FHVs.

On 4/30/2020 at 2:11 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I have questions:

(1) For the last train of the night, is that 1:00 leaving the first stop or arriving at the last stop? Or will all trains just dump their passengers at 1:00 no matter where they are?

(2) For the first train of the morning, is that 5:00 leaving the first stop or arriving at the last stop?

(3) What about train trips that cross borough lines? Will ATU drivers operate in TWU territory (and vice versa)? Or will passengers have to switch buses at borough borders?

No, according to the news when the 1:00 hour starts wherever the train is it becomes OOS.  

2 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Honestly after  over 100 of my fellow co workers dead from this virus..

I could give a rats rear end what any homeless person or any other person who might be "inconvenienced"  thinks...

Seriously...

From the story: “Last night, 139 homeless individuals out of 252 who were engaged by our outreach workers and by the NYPD officers especially trained in homeless outreach … agreed to accept support, accept service and come in off the streets,” said de Blasio in a City Hall press briefing.

“We’ve never seen so much success in a single night before.”

Well, no shit. Nobody has ever tried addressing the problem before!

3 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

No, according to the news when the 1:00 hour starts wherever the train is it becomes OOS.  

How? The Subway Schedules feel unreliable and time flows differently in New York City Subways. I'd understand if they cut  the (E) from Jamaica Center to Union Turnpike or reduce the (2) to a South Ferry-Walkefield trip but there's no way to measure time effectively in the subways the same way the LIRR does for trains coming in and out of Penn. 

This plan works effectively in places like Flushing at Main Street and Roosvelt Avenue, Hillside Avenue, Fordam Road, Midtown Manhattan around 34 to 59th Street, and Downtown Brooklyn. The problem is that the City never invested in some kind of Intermodal Center and they let the suburbs built one out on White Plains, Hempstead, Mineola, and Staten Island. So now everything's topsy turvy where the suburbs are stuck using the buses they hate and forced to make transfers at the multimodal centers while the city is stuck under the Elevated Tracks or out on the street at curbside waiting for the once an hour bus to take them home.

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

From the story: “Last night, 139 homeless individuals out of 252 who were engaged by our outreach workers and by the NYPD officers especially trained in homeless outreach … agreed to accept support, accept service and come in off the streets,” said de Blasio in a City Hall press briefing.

Wasn’t there a report that the City or (MTA) paid millions to a outreach company that did zero outreach?̶

5 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Honestly after  over 100 of my fellow co workers dead from this virus..

I could give a rats rear end what any homeless person or any other person who might be "inconvenienced"  thinks...

Seriously...

Fully agreed! They should have implemented this weeks ago, like at least six. What took so long?

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

Yes! Why the hell didn’t de Blasio address this problem ages ago? Deucey mentioned the City or MTA paid millions to a homeless outreach agency that didn’t do outreach. If so, then they really should sue them for that money! But this mayor? This MTA administration? Who knows if they actually would?

48 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yes! Why the hell didn’t de Blasio address this problem ages ago? Deucey mentioned the City or MTA paid millions to a homeless outreach agency that didn’t do outreach. If so, then they really should sue them for that money! But this mayor? This MTA administration? Who knows if they actually would?

Now that they have a benchmark, I’d like to see how the current/future administration weasels out of getting this work done.

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Wasn’t there a report that the City or (MTA) paid millions to a outreach company that did zero outreach?̶

4 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yup:

1. https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/07/23/non-profit-mta-homeless-report/

2. https://www.wnyc.org/story/homeless-outreach-provider-acquired-multi-million-dollar-contract-without-bidding/

3. https://thechiefleader.com/news/open_articles/mta-expands-efforts-to-deal-with-homeless-free-article/article_8aded69c-eb6f-11e9-8684-c7333d564d57.html

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

23 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

That would be incorrect they still have trains in service AFTER 0100 hrs to get to thier final destinations...

On 5/6/2020 at 8:08 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It would be way too expensive.

Replacing Access A Ride with same-day FHV was cancelled because while it lowered per-trip cost, it greatly boosted demand and became way too expensive. And Access A Ride is actually a quantifiable money pit.

18 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Corruption? In New York? Why, I never!

21 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Corruption? In New York? Why, I never!

LOL.  But yeah, the millions of dollars this supposed "non-profit" took over 20+ years, with almost nothing to show for it, is pretty brazen.  Help the homeless they did not.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:15 AM, R68ACTrain said:

I have a couple of questions about this.

1. if I am on a train at 12:45AM and my train is scheduled to arrive at my stop at 1:20AM, will I be kicked off the train at 1AM at whatever stop the train was at, or will it be that no more boardings will be permitted after 1AM and I will be allowed to remain on until my station?

2. I assume that the trains comtinue rolling after 1AM, just empty with crew members To make sure the trains are in their proper positions to resume serve at 5AM at all stations. 

example: the first Coney Island-bound (N) will leave Astoria at 5:10AM with passengers but there will be Coney Island bound (N) Trains starting to pick up passengers at 57 St-7 Av, Whitehall St, and 36 St at 5:10AM also

On 5/8/2020 at 1:23 PM, bobtehpanda said:

It would be way too expensive.

Replacing Access A Ride with same-day FHV was cancelled because while it lowered per-trip cost, it greatly boosted demand and became way too expensive. And Access A Ride is actually a quantifiable money pit.

Also FHVs as AAR had to buy/pay for extra training and "federal" licenses. Uber drivers arent ADA trained to deal with blind, sign language, colostomy bags, etc. Also federally paid drivers must be drug/background checked.

32 minutes ago, I love NY said:

I had to chuckle at the irony:

yEVuAeK.jpg

Gov. Andrew Cuomo used a spraying device at the Corona Maintenance Facility in Queens on Saturday. Cuomo announced on Thursday April 30, that New York City is shutting down its subway system each day from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. to increase cleaning of trains and stations during the coronavirus crisis. Photo: Kevin P. Coughlin/Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo via AP