New: Complete Overnight Service Shutdown

MHV9218

9 minutes ago, JAzumah said:

I can tell you this. If those trains run without passengers on them, I will make it my business to make sure that the MTA gets absolutely ZERO more dollars for virus relief from the federal government.

We aren't going to play the snowstorm game again. If the trains run, they run with passengers. You can run the train through system checkpoints and remove homeless people as need be. However, we are not going to run shuttle buses on top of trains that are running. We are not going to have the MTA paying for Ubers on top of operational subways.

Cuomo sees things slightly differently.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JAzumah said:

I can tell you this. If those trains run without passengers on them, I will make it my business to make sure that the MTA gets absolutely ZERO more dollars for virus relief from the federal government.

Lol.... Let me guess, those federal dollars should go towards Transport Azumah instead?

5 hours ago, JAzumah said:

We aren't going to play the snowstorm game again. If the trains run, they run with passengers. You can run the train through system checkpoints and remove homeless people as need be. However, we are not going to run shuttle buses on top of trains that are running. We are not going to have the MTA paying for Ubers on top of operational subways.

Let me know how that turns out for you...

17 hours ago, Lex said:

Then what's the point?

I just work here i do not make the rules..

Perhaps they moved on something like this sooner over a hundred of us wont be dead right?

16 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Yea, these Cuomo era shutdowns never really are true shutdowns anyways...

Besides, it’s kinda plausible for someone to start their trip at 0:50 and reach their destination at 2:50 so might as well keep the trains chugging along 🤷‍♂️

As i said i just work here i do not make the rules..

If you aren't essential you shouldn't really be concerned by this..

Stay Home please...

16 hours ago, Collin said:

Political theater

If the system would have been shut down a few weeks ago maybe 100 of us aren't dead..

Sit back watch and learn...

On 5/1/2020 at 6:28 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The "subway homeless" will simply become "bus homeless."

No that wont happen either..

Just sit back and watch...

3 hours ago, JAzumah said:

Want me to have Harry change your name to “St Jude” since you’re taking up a lost cause?

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Lol.... Let me guess, those federal dollars should go towards Transport Azumah instead?

There are other places where I can be more useful at this point.

The fact remains that it is stupid to have trains running empty because we can't reliably keep homeless people off of them. If you HAVE to run the trains, then they should run with passengers. To run shuttle buses on top of trains that are already running with three different police agencies (NYPD, State Police, MTA Police) unable to control homeless people on trains is a monument to ineptitude. Then, we'll get December hearings about needing a bigger than scheduled fare hike because "we don't have the money". Oh, and those capital program funds? Yeah, we burned that all too. So, you'll get less subway for more money and let's hope it works.

No thanks. The bigger virus is politicians making decisions that they have not thought through because it is an "emergency" situation and they break things that aren't easily fixed.

14 hours ago, JAzumah said:

There are other places where I can be more useful at this point.

The fact remains that it is stupid to have trains running empty because we can't reliably keep homeless people off of them. If you HAVE to run the trains, then they should run with passengers. To run shuttle buses on top of trains that are already running with three different police agencies (NYPD, State Police, MTA Police) unable to control homeless people on trains is a monument to ineptitude. Then, we'll get December hearings about needing a bigger than scheduled fare hike because "we don't have the money". Oh, and those capital program funds? Yeah, we burned that all too. So, you'll get less subway for more money and let's hope it works.

No thanks. The bigger virus is politicians making decisions that they have not thought through because it is an "emergency" situation and they break things that aren't easily fixed.

Right - and there are also other places your "business" could be, by not pontificating on how you're going to stifle the MTA from obtaining anymore federal funds for this crisis, too.

What's also stupid, is this apparently never-ending adversarial disposition you continue to convey on these forums when it comes to the MTA.... Nobody's doubting that there are & have been questionable decisions that's been made when it comes to this agency, but WTF - when is anything MTA related, carried out by the state ever right or justified, according to you?

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Right - and there are also other places your "business" could be, by not pontificating on how you're going to stifle the MTA from obtaining anymore federal funds for this crisis, too.

What's also stupid, is this apparently never-ending adversarial disposition you continue to convey on these forums when it comes to the MTA.... Nobody's doubting that there are & have been questionable decisions that's been made when it comes to this agency, but WTF - when is anything MTA related, carried out by the state ever right or justified, according to you?

Your problem is a "you" problem. No one really cares that you don't like me, including me.

You have lots of good ideas and some bad ideas. I will always evaluate you on your ideas and nothing more.

The reason why the FTA no longer funds capital program at an 80/20 split is because of all the low volume light rail services that were used for economic development instead of transportation. Transit people just loved having new transit and didn't care about how things got paid for. At a 50/50 split, it has been a real grind to get anything done. The functional federal split will soon be 40%. Using resources properly matters.

My biggest problem with the MTA is its inability to focus on its main task, which is providing the maximum amount of transportation with a minimum amount of BS. Of course, I have also recommended solutions to them to solve some of these problems. Nothing gets done in a simple manner unless a major event happens (9/11 etc). This current environment is the most permissive environment for funding they will have and we have Cuomo and De Blasio using the MTA as their play thing again. The only way to make it stop is to deny federal funds for this behavior. The cost of having 340 bus operators extra for 4 hours overnight will cost the MTA $150,000-200,000 per night on top of the cost of running the subways underneath those buses. The cost to have additional police in the subway would have been a quarter of that TOPS. 

That is simple math. When your agency is asking for $3.9B after just getting $3.6B and saying it has no other option but to get the money, you don't burn cash doing stupid things. You explain to the governor that people aren't going to trust the MTA if it seen as burning money. 

29 minutes ago, JAzumah said:

Your problem is a "you" problem. No one really cares that you don't like me, including me.

You have lots of good ideas and some bad ideas. I will always evaluate you on your ideas and nothing more.

The reason why the FTA no longer funds capital program at an 80/20 split is because of all the low volume light rail services that were used for economic development instead of transportation. Transit people just loved having new transit and didn't care about how things got paid for. At a 50/50 split, it has been a real grind to get anything done. The functional federal split will soon be 40%. Using resources properly matters.

My biggest problem with the MTA is its inability to focus on its main task, which is providing the maximum amount of transportation with a minimum amount of BS. Of course, I have also recommended solutions to them to solve some of these problems. Nothing gets done in a simple manner unless a major event happens (9/11 etc). This current environment is the most permissive environment for funding they will have and we have Cuomo and De Blasio using the MTA as their play thing again. The only way to make it stop is to deny federal funds for this behavior. The cost of having 340 bus operators extra for 4 hours overnight will cost the MTA $150,000-200,000 per night on top of the cost of running the subways underneath those buses. The cost to have additional police in the subway would have been a quarter of that TOPS. 

That is simple math. When your agency is asking for $3.9B after just getting $3.6B and saying it has no other option but to get the money, you don't burn cash doing stupid things. You explain to the governor that people aren't going to trust the MTA if it seen as burning money. 

...says the guy justifying himself to the guy that claims he doesn't care likes him or not.

Anyway, obviously there are good ideas & there are bad ideas... Funny how whenever you come around, it's only to evaluate the bad... Let's not sit here & act like you commend the MTA for the plethora of good solutions they're implemented, Mr. I will make it my business to make sure that the MTA gets absolutely ZERO more dollars for virus relief from the federal government.

Your biggest problem with the MTA is & has always been that you'll never be able to trounce them.... Too bad.

7 hours ago, I love NY said:

Is it possible to organize a petition on Internet to protect the 24/7 subway service and send it to Cuomo and MTA?

very possible, but not much of a reason for it. The only people that should be using the subway now are essential workers anyway, so it's a temporary way to make sure cars are cleaned nightly. Unless there's a substantial amount of workers commuting during those hours (which is probably not the case, since the MTA identified those hours as having the least ridership), there's not much of a reason to go petitioning now.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

So MTA has the last trains for each line listed. For example the (7) 

To Main St:                              34 St:

34 St 12:48 AM                         Junction Blvd12:46 AM

Grand Central 12:51 AM        74 St-Broadway12:49 AM

Queensboro Plaza 12:53 AM       61 St12:53 AM

74 St-Broadway12:53 AM        Queensboro Plaza12:45 AM

Willets Point12:51 AM               Grand Central-42 St12 AM

Most cities have a last train that makes all stations. It doesn't look like the MTA will do that. Instead of one final train there will be a series of final trains. 

I guess what they are doing is trying to get most of the stations closed down by 1am. I guess those who board at terminus station are allowed to be dropped off at any station along the route and those station will be exit only after last train departs. 

How will transfers work though? I guess commuters need to pay attention what time their connection leaves too.

I don't know I feel like having one last sweep train is much easier to implement than what they are doing here

5 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

So MTA has the last trains for each line listed. For example the (7) 

To Main St:                              34 St:

34 St 12:48 AM                         Junction Blvd12:46 AM

Grand Central 12:51 AM        74 St-Broadway12:49 AM

Queensboro Plaza 12:53 AM       61 St12:53 AM

74 St-Broadway12:53 AM        Queensboro Plaza12:45 AM

Willets Point12:51 AM               Grand Central-42 St12 AM

Most cities have a last train that makes all stations. It doesn't look like the MTA will do that. Instead of one final train there will be a series of final trains. 

I guess what they are doing is trying to get most of the stations closed down by 1am. I guess those who board at terminus station are allowed to be dropped off at any station along the route and those station will be exit only after last train departs. 

How will transfers work though? I guess commuters need to pay attention what time their connection leaves too.

I don't know I feel like having one last sweep train is much easier to implement than what they are doing here

It's not really a series of trains. It's the same existing trains as the current schedule, but the last few trains will essentially be dropping off riders only for segments of their route. They're basically listing the latest train that stops before 1 AM. 

17 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It's not really a series of trains. It's the same existing trains as the current schedule, but the last few trains will essentially be dropping off riders only for segments of their route. They're basically listing the latest train that stops before 1 AM. 

Yeah thats what I kind of thought too. I still think that some sort of transfer guarentee should be in place at major subway stops. Unless MTA is implementing a system where there is no new passenger entering the system but existing passenger may take any trains once in until their final stop? 

44 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

There better be buses not tracking on Bus Time but actually running in real life or else this "enhanced" bus service is going to become a disaster very quickly.

A BM3 just rolled by on the way to Manhattan, service is actually running.

We’re dramatically increasing bus service to make sure essential workers like you can still get where you need to go in a reasonable amount of time. We’ve added 344 buses to the 235 that already run overnight. Those new buses will make 1,168 additional bus trips on 61 routes:

13 local routes with new overnight service
37 local routes with enhanced overnight service
11 interborough express routes with new overnight service
All bus service between 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM will be fare-free

Here are the numbers on increased service from an email.

@Around the Horn Here are some stringlines of the subway "shutdown".

Yeah, (1) trains are not starting at Houston Street

49862693497_4dc4b7b646_b.jpg"Shutdown" by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

(7) trains are not starting at 103rd

49861845903_08b826cce3_b.jpg"Shutdown" by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

(J)s are not starting at Halsey

49861845833_c3cff8b32b_b.jpg"Shutdown" by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

(Q)s are not starting at Newkirk Plaza

49862380661_6e6bd83e26_b.jpg"Shutdown" by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

(R)s are not starting at 25th Street

49862693347_8da1925628_b.jpg"Shutdown" by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

There is not an (N) shuttle between 86th Street and Coney Island

49861845683_bb03f27d61_b.jpg"Shutdown" by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

And, no, (S) trains are not starting at Park Place

49861845703_854c52260d_b.jpg"Shutdown" by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

17 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

...says the guy justifying himself to the guy that claims he doesn't care likes him or not.

Anyway, obviously there are good ideas & there are bad ideas... Funny how whenever you come around, it's only to evaluate the bad... Let's not sit here & act like you commend the MTA for the plethora of good solutions they're implemented, Mr. I will make it my business to make sure that the MTA gets absolutely ZERO more dollars for virus relief from the federal government.

Your biggest problem with the MTA is & has always been that you'll never be able to trounce them.... Too bad.

Sorta like a sore loser...

Oh well sucks to be him i suppose....

What i saw the first night if they continue it will be helpful..

Every train that pulls in is discharged the residents are shown the street..

Train is closed train line except the Crew Doors are keyed open by the CRs..

Every inch of each car is mopped  and scrubbed as well as operating cabs..

Ten to 12 minutes Job is done..

Train relays for the next interval weather its lite or in service..

They already got a system in place.. MTA thinks big picture years ahead...

Lets see how this goes.

6 minutes ago, Eric B said:

Where do they lay them all up at? Just key stations they get to at closing time, designated as that night's storage and cleaning area?

They do not lay them up unless its a scheduled lay up..

They run lite(scheduled intervals) pick up essentials and other employees first responders..

The terminals are the cleaning area...

Edited by RTOMan

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

They do not lay them up unless its a scheduled lay up..

They run lite(scheduled intervals) pick up essentials and other employees first responders..

The terminals are the cleaning area...

How do those essential riders get into the stations?