Snow piled on subway tracks traps Q train riders for over an hour

Via Garibaldi 8

METRO

By David Meyer                                                                                              February 1, 2021 | 6:39pm | Updated

olena-stuck-train-42.jpg?quality=90&stri

A "Q" subway train was stuck between the Parkside Avenue stop and the Prospect Park for nearly 2 hours Feb. 1, 2021 because of the heavy snowfall.

Straphangers were stuck on a Q train for nearly 90 minutes Monday afternoon due to snow on above-ground subway tracks in Brooklyn, a rider told The Post. 

“We’ve been sitting between Parkside and Prospect Park for an hour and 20 minutes now. There’s no heat in the train, there are 3 people not wearing masks, no sort of ventilation,” Q train rider Rachel Turner said just after 3:30 p.m.

“About 30 minutes ago we were told that the snow had accumulated too much to move forward and that we had gotten permission to move backward back to Parkside to get off, but there’s been no word from anyone since then.”

Transit officials confirmed the service disruption — which halted the last Q train scheduled to cross the Manhattan Bridge before over-ground subways closed down — on Twitter, saying they needed to clear “accumulated snow.”

The train briefly lost power during the wait, the MTA confirmed — leaving Turner and others frigid. The train and its passengers were eventually rerouted back to Parkside Avenue station, Turner said. 

She finally exited the train at 3:38 p.m. 

With over-ground subways out of commission as of 2 p.m., Turner walked .6-miles to access the next-closest Manhattan-bound train.

An MTA spokesman later blamed the delay on “snow obstructing equipment on the tracks.” An investigation remained underway.

“This was an isolated incident on a day of exceptionally severe weather, and we apologize to our customers for what was a frustrating and disconcerting delay,” MTA rep Shams Tarek said in a statement.

“Preliminary findings are that power was lost for a portion of time during the incident which was related to snow obstructing equipment on the tracks.”

Source: https://nypost.com/2021/02/01/snow-piled-on-subway-tracks-traps-riders-for-over-an-hour/

Having seen how rail transport operates in more severe climates (Canada, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe), the issue is not "trains running in the snow".

The real issue here is the MTA's total f**king incompetence in dealing with said snow.

Edited by R10 2952

17 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Having seen how rail transport operates in more severe climates (Canada, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe), the issue is not "trains running in the snow".

The real issue here is the MTA's total f**king incompetence in dealing with said snow.

Just imagine if they hadn't stopped running trains at outdoor stations...

1 minute ago, bobtehpanda said:

where exactly in a trench lower than street level would a snow blower dump the snow? it doesn't just disappear

I love how no matter the topic, folks ask these types of questions like the government really is that stupid 100% of the time and never consider that there might be a legitimate reason for the issue - ie no clearance in the ROW, or that the tracks behind needed clearance of other consists before the train could reverse, or that even s**t happens and you can’t do anything right away.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 4:49 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

METRO

By David Meyer                                                                                              February 1, 2021 | 6:39pm | Updated

olena-stuck-train-42.jpg?quality=90&stri

A "Q" subway train was stuck between the Parkside Avenue stop and the Prospect Park for nearly 2 hours Feb. 1, 2021 because of the heavy snowfall.

Straphangers were stuck on a Q train for nearly 90 minutes Monday afternoon due to snow on above-ground subway tracks in Brooklyn, a rider told The Post. 

“We’ve been sitting between Parkside and Prospect Park for an hour and 20 minutes now. There’s no heat in the train, there are 3 people not wearing masks, no sort of ventilation,” Q train rider Rachel Turner said just after 3:30 p.m.

“About 30 minutes ago we were told that the snow had accumulated too much to move forward and that we had gotten permission to move backward back to Parkside to get off, but there’s been no word from anyone since then.”

Transit officials confirmed the service disruption — which halted the last Q train scheduled to cross the Manhattan Bridge before over-ground subways closed down — on Twitter, saying they needed to clear “accumulated snow.”

The train briefly lost power during the wait, the MTA confirmed — leaving Turner and others frigid. The train and its passengers were eventually rerouted back to Parkside Avenue station, Turner said. 

She finally exited the train at 3:38 p.m. 

With over-ground subways out of commission as of 2 p.m., Turner walked .6-miles to access the next-closest Manhattan-bound train.

An MTA spokesman later blamed the delay on “snow obstructing equipment on the tracks.” An investigation remained underway.

“This was an isolated incident on a day of exceptionally severe weather, and we apologize to our customers for what was a frustrating and disconcerting delay,” MTA rep Shams Tarek said in a statement.

“Preliminary findings are that power was lost for a portion of time during the incident which was related to snow obstructing equipment on the tracks.”

Source: https://nypost.com/2021/02/01/snow-piled-on-subway-tracks-traps-riders-for-over-an-hour/

I'm in that picture. Guess which one is me.

By the time I got out of there, the snow drifts were halfway up my thighs. And I'm 6'2".

On 2/26/2021 at 2:37 PM, mediccjh said:

I'm in that picture. Guess which one is me.

By the time I got out of there, the snow drifts were halfway up my thighs. And I'm 6'2".

The tall guy with the hood on with walking on 3 Tk?

On 2/2/2021 at 5:32 PM, Lawrence St said:

IIRC wasn't there a story about how an (A) got stuck out in the Rockaways for over 4 hours during a snow storm and thats why they shut the outdoor subway service down?

Yep!  That also IMO was why Cuomo infamously shut down the entire subway one overnight in 2015 that led to MASSIVE blowback, particularly from Wall Street on a day the Dow lost 275 points (a big loss at the time) when many brokers could not be at their desks when at the time in many cases they may have been legally required to be at to execute trades (IMO that was because he was mulling a run for President in 2016 and also IMO feared someone at the MTA going rogue and ignoring orders to shut down only the outdoor portions in the hopes of causing something that would derail Cuomo's election hopes).  As I remember, some on Wall Street were so PO'ed they waited almost TWO FULL YEARS to get revenge on Cuomo for that by helping Trump get elected President and helping the GOP outside of New York win a number of races that were expected to be tight.  

On 3/8/2021 at 5:21 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Yep!  That also IMO was why Cuomo infamously shut down the entire subway one overnight in 2015 that led to MASSIVE blowback, particularly from Wall Street on a day the Dow lost 275 points (a big loss at the time) when many brokers could not be at their desks when at the time in many cases they may have been legally required to be at to execute trades (IMO that was because he was mulling a run for President in 2016 and also IMO feared someone at the MTA going rogue and ignoring orders to shut down only the outdoor portions in the hopes of causing something that would derail Cuomo's election hopes).  As I remember, some on Wall Street were so PO'ed they waited almost TWO FULL YEARS to get revenge on Cuomo for that by helping Trump get elected President and helping the GOP outside of New York win a number of races that were expected to be tight.  

EgbFia0WkAApvOd.jpg

On 3/8/2021 at 8:21 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Yeah...right!

Who the hell waits TWO YEARS to get revenge on a Governor of New York State by pushing for the Democratic nominee for President - who WAS NOT said Governor and had little to do with him - to lose the 2016 Presidential election? 

Just when you thought conspiracy theories couldn’t get any more nutty...

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yeah...right!

Who the hell waits TWO YEARS to get revenge on a Governor of New York State by pushing for the Democratic nominee for President - who WAS NOT said Governor and had little to do with him - to lose the 2016 Presidential election? 

Just when you thought conspiracy theories couldn’t get any more nutty...

What I mean was, they got their revenge on Cuomo and punished the Democrats as a whole for what happened in 2015 by supporting a number of GOP candidates in other states they would not have otherwise who won their elections that game the GOP the House and Senate in 2016.  They had to wait almost two full years to get that revenge.

Sometimes, people do in fact hold grudges they can't get revenge on immediately who wait until they can.  That is what happened in this case. People on Wall Street were WAY more PO'ed for what Cuomo did than you realized and rather than call him out on it when it happened, they waited until the opportunity presented itself to extract revenge. 

40 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

What I mean was, they got their revenge on Cuomo and punished the Democrats as a whole for what happened in 2015 by supporting a number of GOP candidates in other states they would not have otherwise who won their elections that game the GOP the House and Senate in 2016.  They had to wait almost two full years to get that revenge.

Sometimes, people do in fact hold grudges they can't get revenge on immediately who wait until they can.  That is what happened in this case. People on Wall Street were WAY more PO'ed for what Cuomo did than you realized and rather than call him out on it when it happened, they waited until the opportunity presented itself to extract revenge. 

Yeah...no, I’m pretty sure once stocks recovered, the Wall Street people stopped caring about Cuomo. As much as a micromanager as Cuomo is, I find that he doesn’t seem to share the same zeal for reining in Wall Street the way, say, Eliot Spitzer did - and might have if he hadn’t resigned as Governor.

And if they were really looking to get revenge and punish the entire Democratic Party for Cuomo’s decision to shut down the NYC Subway - a preposterous theory if there ever was one - well then...MISSION FAILED! Because they lost the House of Representatives in 2018, then the White House in 2020 and finally the Senate just this past January. And the Dems even gained a few Governorships in that time. 

Sometimes, it’s just better to let things go and move on with your lives. I’m sure that’s what most Wall Streeters do.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 12:55 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yeah...no, I’m pretty sure once stocks recovered, the Wall Street people stopped caring about Cuomo. As much as a micromanager as Cuomo is, I find that he doesn’t seem to share the same zeal for reining in Wall Street the way, say, Eliot Spitzer did - and might have if he hadn’t resigned as Governor.

And if they were really looking to get revenge and punish the entire Democratic Party for Cuomo’s decision to shut down the NYC Subway - a preposterous theory if there ever was one - well then...MISSION FAILED! Because they lost the House of Representatives in 2018, then the White House in 2020 and finally the Senate just this past January. And the Dems even gained a few Governorships in that time. 

Sometimes, it’s just better to let things go and move on with your lives. I’m sure that’s what most Wall Streeters do.

What happened after 2016 Wall Street didn't care about because the stock market went way up, they got their revenge in 2016 and didn't look back after that.

What happened in 2018 had more to do with who was elected President in 2016 and the anger a lot of people had in the ensuing two years after the 2016 election. 

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

What happened after 2016 Wall Street didn't care about because the stock market went way up, they got their revenge in 2016 and didn't look back after that.

What happened in 2018 had more to do with who was elected President in 2016 and the anger a lot of people had in the ensuing two years after the 2016 election. 

Exactly! The stock market went way up. They moved on with their lives!