Depot of The Year : 2011 (Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island)

East New York

What are your 2 favorite/Best depots in each of the three boroughs in this poll?  

1. 1. What are your 2 favorite/Best depots in each of the three boroughs in this poll?

• 100th Street, Manhattan
    • 126th Street
    • Manhattanville
    • Michael J. Quill (Manhattan Division Headquarters)
    • Baisley (MTA Bus Training Facility)
    • Casey Stengel
    • College Point (Former MTA Bus Co. Headquarters)
    • Far Rockaway
    • Jamaica
    • JFK
    • LaGuardia (N. Queens Division Headquarters)
    • Queens Village (S. Queens Division Headquarters)
    • Castleton
    • Charleston
    • Meredith (Active Fleet Storage DEpot)
    • Yukon (Staten Island Division Headquarters)

All MTA Bus/New York City Transit depots are included. Vote on your favorite depot. If you would like to post a comment, feel free to do so.

***What are your top 2 favorite/Best depots in each borough?

When considering your favorite depot/the depot you feel is best, consider the following.

Fleet

Maintenance

Routes (total coverage, number of routes, service frequency etc.)

Depot Operations/Efficiency

Personal experience or lack there of with the depot, and it's equipment

This thread is for commenting and voting for Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island depots only.

Click here to vote in another poll for Bronx, and Brooklyn Depots.

Upon completion of this poll, totals will be combined, and the depot of the year for each borough will be announced. At that time, another vote will decide which of the 5 depots will come out on top.

I have to give a round of applause for Yukon. Trying not to be biased (we all know it's my favorite depot that has my favorite bus fleet and bus route), I have to say I'm happy with their service. Their buses are okay...I have to admit some of their Orion 5s don't have the greatest of suspension but they are tough as hell, and that cannot be denied. I can rely on all of their bus routes, be it the S61/S91 Limited, S62/S92 Limited and S79, the routes I use on a regular basis and not just for transit fanning. I'm glad Yukon got cut some slack since Charleston Depot opened, because there's a parking lot behind the depot on Forest Hill Road that is now empty where a ton of express buses were stored.

My evaluation is based upon the past two years when I started traveling to Staten Island on a regular basis. I use Yukon's buses more than other depot's bus routes, and I had a choice between Castleton, Charleston and Yukon. Charleston is fairly too new and although Castleton now has LFS I've seen duct tape patches on the inside of some LFS, and they're barely a month old. Yukon is Staten Island Division Headquarters for a reason.

This list was a bit difficult. I do not ride Staten Island buses often (especially in the past 2 years) to make an accurate determination and though I have ridden multiple routes from various queens depots, there is not enough of a sample size for me to judge. I chose MJQ (#1) and 126 (#2) because of familiarity as I ride/see them almost everyday. Aesthetically the buses are kept in solid condition and the buses run well. The routes (15 & 66 for example) are very frequent and come on time based on my experience.

I choose 126th Street and Far Rockaway.

126th for the fleet diversity, LSFA's.. D60HF... NG's... RTS' from all three years...

Far Rockaway, buses runs great, buses look great, came a long way since the Green Line days.... QM16/17... Q35.... Nuff said!

Casey Stengel is best. Not that I'm obsessed with it, its because they take good care of their buses. There is a reason why Casey Stengel deserves the "Viking" and the oldest Orion V fleet.

CS is a good depot, compared to the other depots around me (CP, FP, LGA). LGA & FP beat up their buses. CP is pretty good at maintaining their express buses, but so-so on maintaining their CNGs (last few times I was on them I found alot of trash on them).

the only thing LGA is good at is the variety of fleets: Ex-bee line Orion V's, NG Hybrids, OG Hybrids, RTS, fishbowls, etc. (LGA does have a fishbowl; 7241 IIRC. Last time I saw it was a few years ago, it was in service on the QM10).

LGA is bad at maintaining. 80-85 % of the time there is trash on those buses. Also LGA has alot of RTS, which are starting to fall apart.

The only reason I voted for LGA was because its my home depot: I use it every weekday. I forgot to vote for CP tho :cry:

It's very hard for me to choose.

I like Manhattanville and Michael J. Quill, well as 126th St Depot for Manhattan.

100 St Depot was my neighborhood but I like Michael J. Quill and Manhattanville Depot.

Michael J. Quill: During vintage bus action, I made a friend with security.

Manhattanville: I got many friends.

126th St: With all M15 SBS action, every time when I take Q72 to M60, I always catch at depot SBS station.

In Queens, I like LGA Depot but not for maintence. I like riding my favorite Bee-Line buses, NG on Q72, Q33, Q102, Q100 etc.

Yukon and Castleton, they've both come a very long way but both depots are excellent these days. :tup:

I thought I was seeing things.... :confused:

The only reason they appear to be "excellent" is because they've had new buses coming and going, which is very deceptive. Yukon certainly isn't very good with their MCIs. The 4300s that they have IMO have not been well taken care of at all, nor have the 22XXs that they have, esp. when compared to Spring Creek's MCIs. IMO, the two depots that take care of their MCIs the best are Eastchester and Spring Creek.

Stengel gets my vote for being my home depot and the fact that they've managed to keep those 6000s rockin' despite the fact that those buses were rushed

Queens Village is my next favorite depot just 'cause they keep their buses looking good, and their drivers are on point, plus I ride the Q27 to school, need I say more? Oh, the depot is also pretty nice from what I hear.

I thought I was seeing things.... :confused:

The only reason they appear to be "excellent" is because they've had new buses coming and going, which is very deceptive. Yukon certainly isn't very good with their MCIs. The 4300s that they have IMO have not been well taken care of at all, nor have the 22XXs that they have, esp. when compared to Spring Creek's MCIs. IMO, the two depots that take care of their MCIs the best are Eastchester and Spring Creek.

No, you're not seeing things! Unless you didn't take the buses at all between 2005-2008, Castleton and Yukon are doing great these days. The newer buses, new management in 2008 and new depot space allowed the SI Divison to focus on things that weren't being focused on before. You don't remember the dusty seats, graffiti/scratched up windows, garbage everywhere, broken bells, back doors that wouldn't open, yukon's RTS fleet before overhaul, etc? Everyone used to complain about the SI Division, so it's only right to recognize that they have improved greatly over the years.

No, you're not seeing things! Unless you didn't take the buses at all between 2005-2008, Castleton and Yukon are doing great these days. The newer buses, new management in 2008 and new depot space allowed the SI Divison to focus on things that weren't being focused on before. You don't remember the dusty seats, graffiti/scratched up windows, garbage everywhere, broken bells, back doors that wouldn't open, yukon's RTS fleet before overhaul, etc? Everyone used to complain about the SI Division, so it's only right to recognize that they have improved greatly over the years.

And my point is that it only appears to "look" better because they've been getting new buses since 2008. The seats aren't as dirty only because the buses are newer (local buses in particular), but the floors are still filthy and the local buses still smell of @ss and I see scratchitti on the new local buses as well. Just give them time. They'll be f*cked up just like the old ones are.

The express buses aren't too bad, but the X10s are horrible. Ripped up seats here and there, broken bells and gum on a lot of the MCIs on that line that I've been on of late. Of course Castleon has all of the hand-me-down MCIs, so that explains that I suppose. Yesterday, I had to get off of an X12 because it was blowing out hot air (a lovely 28XX, which is one of the newer express buses out of Meredith) and I refuse to be on the verge of passing out on a bus with no windows for the premium fare, so once I confirmed with the B/O that the AC was broken, I asked him to let me off of the bus and waited for an X10. The X10 had AC, but of course the bell was broken. Like I said, the only reason things seem better on the local lines is because they've been using new buses, but I wouldn't say that's because maintenance is oh so much better suddenly. Management is a little better than before, as they're not letting the buses go to sh*t per se, but they still could do much better. Truth be told, while I like that Staten Island is getting new buses naturally since this is my home these days, they're not taking care of them that well IMO and as a result this new fleet of buses will get beaten up pretty badly IMO. :)

Kudos to the X12 drivers. Most of them are very nice I must say, esp. in the evening. :cool:

And my point is that it only appears to "look" better because they've been getting new buses since 2008. The seats aren't as dirty only because the buses are newer (local buses in particular), but the floors are still filthy and the local buses still smell of @ss and I see scratchitti on the new local buses as well. Just give them time. They'll be f*cked up just like the old ones are.

The express buses aren't too bad, but the X10s are horrible. Ripped up seats here and there, broken bells and gum on a lot of the MCIs on that line that I've been on of late. Of course Castleon has all of the hand-me-down MCIs, so that explains that I suppose. Yesterday, I had to get off of an X12 because it was blowing out hot air (a lovely 28XX, which is one of the newer express buses out of Meredith) and I refuse to be on the verge of passing out on a bus with no windows for the premium fare, so once I confirmed with the B/O that the AC was broken, I asked him to let me off of the bus and waited for an X10. The X10 had AC, but of course the bell was broken. Like I said, the only reason things seem better on the local lines is because they've been using new buses, but I wouldn't say that's because maintenance is oh so much better suddenly. Management is a little better than before, as they're not letting the buses go to sh*t per se, but they still could do much better. Truth be told, while I like that Staten Island is getting new buses naturally since this is my home these days, they're not taking care of them that well IMO and as a result this new fleet of buses will get beaten up pretty badly IMO. :)

Kudos to the X12 drivers. Most of them are very nice I must say, esp. in the evening. :cool:

They can do better, but it's not like they're doing a bad job. My only problems are with the scheduling of some routes and not expanding service but everything else is fine. As long as the bus gets you from Point A to Point B, that's what should matter! Allowing a bus to make it from point A to point B was not a priority for the SI Div before the new management came in. At one point, Staten Island used to have the most road calls out of all the boros despite having the least amount of buses altogether. Now the SI Division is one of the best, despite having small problems which are prevalent in other boroughs as well.

They've already recognized that the MCIs are having some problems because the orders are already put in for new Prevosts & MCIs. SI was actually supposed to have a new fleet of MCIs already but there's only the small batch at Yukon we have now.

They can do better, but it's not like they're doing a bad job. My only problems are with the scheduling of some routes and not expanding service but everything else is fine. As long as the bus gets you from Point A to Point B, that's what should matter! Allowing a bus to make it from point A to point B was not a priority for the SI Div before the new management came in.

They've already recognized that the MCIs are having some problems because the orders are already put in for new Prevosts & MCIs. SI was actually supposed to have a new fleet of MCIs already but there's only the small batch at Yukon we have now.

The Prevosts I knew about, but when did they put in an order for more MCIs?? :confused: I care about getting from point A to point B also, but in relative human like conditions (i.e. AC). I almost passed out on an X14 once because it had no AC on a 90+ day outside and since then I will not get on an MCI with no AC. No if ands or buts about it.

here @ 126th we'll get brand new buses, run the for a couple years, then they'll get swapped to another depot for the shit that they can't fix. We got the 5xxx artics brand new, then they got swapped to 100st and MJQ for some f**ked up 1xxx artics with rear diff's that had to be changed. they knew the had to be changed b/c the sent the buses with the diff's sitting in the rear stairwell. now, when we get some of the 5xxx's back, we get one thats running on 3 cylinders, two that are leaking coolant and oil, and another one that has transmission problems (recently back from the base shop with those same problems). they do the same things in BK. i remember when they swapped some buses from ulmer park to castleton. there was a story that ran in one of those small town news papers about how much better the SI buses have gotten with a pic of a recently swapped buses right next to the article

here @ 126th we'll get brand new buses, run the for a couple years, then they'll get swapped to another depot for the shit that they can't fix. We got the 5xxx artics brand new, then they got swapped to 100st and MJQ for some f**ked up 1xxx artics with rear diff's that had to be changed. they knew the had to be changed b/c the sent the buses with the diff's sitting in the rear stairwell. now, when we get some of the 5xxx's back, we get one thats running on 3 cylinders, two that are leaking coolant and oil, and another one that has transmission problems (recently back from the base shop with those same problems). they do the same things in BK. i remember when they swapped some buses from ulmer park to castleton. there was a story that ran in one of those small town news papers about how much better the SI buses have gotten with a pic of a recently swapped buses right next to the article

LOL... Yeah we have mainly new buses now and lots of repaved streets. I wouldn't chalk it all up to such great SI maintenance that's for sure.

This one was easy.

Manhattan

-Michael J. Quill. Perhaps #1 on my list overall......

-#2 Came down to 100, and 126. I love them both, I think 126 has better maintenance, but I love the way 100St is built. When I come to every aspect, I have to go with 100. I've been on the Lex line a million times, and I can't wait till they finally rename the depot.

Queens

-This one I really had to think about. Queens Village is the most improved in my opinion. Their 6400 series Orions were on life support a few years back. But now, they have stepped it up, and they will be testing Novas, New Flyers, and Orions in short order. So maybe they will get my vote next year. Casey Stegel and Jamaica are both really good in the maintenance department from what I gather, but I don't know that much about their ops.

#1 LaGuardia. If this was based on maintenance, they obviously would not be at the top of my list. The depot has a rich history from the famous Triboro Coach Corp. It was my favorite PBL, and well as the only non-MTA operation that interested me. When the TA took over, it was the first MTAB depot I visited as well. Although maintenance still needs to improve, they have gotten a little better. Their RTS' ARE NOT falling apart. The LGA lines take a beating like many buses do in Queens. They also have one of the oldest bus fleets in the system.

#2 Had to go to College Point hands down. So no TA depots win out of this borough for me. Their express buses are maintained quite well. As far as the local fleet goes, they are doing a damn good job with what they have to work with. In addition to the QSC originals, those 11-13 year old Orion V's have come from all over the city. Command, Triboro, & Green Lines. The latter are contributing to the maintenance issues at an depot where personnel is already stretched pretty thin. Once they get New Flyers, I don't think we will still have these problems. If this entire fleet of CNG's were at LGA, I don't thing they would be doing as well at all.

Staten Island

-Castleton gets #1 because their maintenance has improved a lot since 2005, yet they could be a lot better. I also like the fact that they will have Orion V's, VII NG's, VII 3G's, LFS' and XD40s. This will make operations at the depot very interesting for the remainder of the year.

Charleston has not been around long enough for me to form an opinion. However, when they get artics, I will likely change my tune.

#2 for me is Yukon. Under normal circumstances, YUK would have been #1 on my list. I think they have better maintenance, and they used to maintain their RTS' quite well. *sigh* Those were the days! The only thing I don't like about the depot is the location. It's in the middle of nowhere, and it takes forever to get to it if you aren't driving. But since the test fleets will go to Castleton now, it comes in at a close #2.

Of course Castleon has all of the hand-me-down MCIs, so that explains that I suppose. Yesterday, I had to get off of an X12 because it was blowing out hot air (a lovely 28XX, which is one of the newer express buses out of Meredith) and I refuse to be on the verge of passing out on a bus with no windows for the premium fare, so once I confirmed with the B/O that the AC was broken, I asked him to let me off of the bus and waited for an X10. The X10 had AC, but of course the bell was broken. Like I said, the only reason things seem better on the local lines is because they've been using new buses, but

Those 2800's are NOT new. Those things are between 9 & 11 years old now. Besides that, those SI buses get used more than most.

The Prevosts I knew about, but when did they put in an order for more MCIs?? :confused: I care about getting from point A to point B also, but in relative human like conditions (i.e. AC). I almost passed out on an X14 once because it had no AC on a 90+ day outside and since then I will not get on an MCI with no AC. No if ands or buts about it.

MTA has an agreement in place from the last contract when the 2200's came in. The new buses will all be delivered by years end.

Archived