The R160B's 3rd Birthday

R62A 1991

Come on guys, enough with the put-downs. We all have our views on certain situations and for some the R160B arrival means a lot to them. This thread is only good for those that appreciate it, otherwise just ignore it. And there's definitely no need to lock it b/c there were no foamings.

Honestly, who cares? Not me. Besides, I was amongst one of the first railrans to set foot inside of an R160. I even have proof as well.

Some of you need to quit foaming over something that's going to be around till we get some gray hairs on our body.

Hate to sound rude but that was spoken like a true foamer. Who gives a shit that you were the first to ride the R160. You have proof, you want a cookie?

Me, a foamer? I'm laughing. I first set foot inside of an R160 back in 2005.

Don't worry about them; most people didn't take advantage of the opportunities to be the last railfan or even a passenger to exit the South Ferry loop station and the final Slant ride.

Anyone else think these three years went by fast? It seems like just yesterday i was freezing my butt off on an R160 because they for some stupid reason kept the AC on and it was late-November.

The A/C is thermostaticly controlled to keep the train around 65 or so. It comein handy during the winter when everyone has heavy winter coats on during rush hour.

This Thread is so Weird but yet The R160's Real Birthday is in July of 2005 when they 1st came on property, When I 1st rode these cars on the (A), I liked it and wished they would have stayed, But after a while I began to hate the damn things, The R142A's are still the best and most Reliable along with the R143's. Happy Birthday to Rolling Junk.

Who gave birth to the 160? and are their trucks included in their 'birthday' also? we should start threads on all other revenue equiptment's 'birthdays'

I'm sure the sweaty tired union car inspector or the train op whose working a long shift cares that some people are wishing there money maker a 'happy birthday' :cool:

This Thread is so Weird but yet The R160's Real Birthday is in July of 2005 when they 1st came on property, When I 1st rode these cars on the (A), I liked it and wished they would have stayed, But after a while I began to hate the damn things, The R142A's are still the best and most Reliable along with the R143's. Happy Birthday to Rolling Junk.

I agree, R160s on the (A) would have been the best thing that would have happened to Fulton Street. Too bad that after the 30-day test was over they left the line.

Yes I agree especially if they replace those 60 ft SMEEs directly from the A to supplement the 75 ft trains.

Not even; I hope they give the R44s the boot and the R46s stay. No offense, but the farts suck. They run so slow and they're nothing but rusting and rolling junk.

Not even; I hope they give the R44s the boot and the R46s stay. No offense, but the farts suck. They run so slow and they're nothing but rusting and rolling junk.

Getting rid of the 60 ft SMEEs for the most part is a glory as I don't have to be swerved by their poor suspension and killed by their horrible brakes. Like I said, the R160As brake the best among the NTTs. As the first trains that I rode in the system and as the most comfortable of the line for so many years, the R44s will always be special to me.

Oh boy...

The best NTT out there is the R142A's. The 142A's are a thousand times better than that rolling junk of a 160. The TA is going to regret getting rid of the R32's. The R32's have a lot more history than any other fleet in the New York City Subway system. Besides, the R44's would be gone by 2012-2013. I hope the TA doesn't preserve any R44's.

Agreed, the R142A, and IMO, the R143, are the best out there; they're like twins except they run on different divisions.

I don't understand how you loathe the R44 but want the R46 to stay...

1) Since the interiors are basically the same.

2) The trucks and suspension are identical.

3) The R-44s maintained their windscreens while the R-46 did not.

4) The R-44 HVAC runs a bit cooler in summer and in winter the heat is identical

4) The doors and door systems are identical.

5) Braking and acceleration are the same.

What do you see as the difference?

Oh boy...

The best NTT out there is the R142A's. The 142A's are a thousand times better than that rolling junk of a 160. The TA is going to regret getting rid of the R32's. The R32's have a lot more history than any other fleet in the New York City Subway system. Besides, the R44's would be gone by 2012-2013. I hope the TA doesn't preserve any R44's.

Why does history matter in a car if it's outlived its useful life? The R32s need to be replaced. If you don't think they do now you will probably not think the same thing if they hung out for 5 more years. And why do you not want the TA not to preserve any R44s? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean no one else does either.

I don't understand how you loathe the R44 but want the R46 to stay...

1) Since the interiors are basically the same.

2) The trucks and suspension are identical.

3) The R-44s maintained their windscreens while the R-46 did not.

4) The R-44 HVAC runs a bit cooler in summer and in winter the heat is identical

4) The doors and door systems are identical.

5) Braking and acceleration are the same.

What do you see as the difference?

R46s are cosmetically and structurally better than the R44s both inside and out. they also do not seem to suffer from the frequent mechanical and technical problems that have plagued the R44s from day one.

Archived