Bx12 fare beaters still ripping off MTA, despite launch of crackdown

St Louis Car 09

in the minds of the people its ok because the mta takes all their money and they feel they deserve a free ride.

I totally understand, but that way of thinking really isnt helping anyone. It actually hurts them and us. You reap what you sow.

SBS is the biggest sack of fail I swear...Common sense which the MTA seems to have been lacking lately is...if you just tell people "PAY BEFORE YOU BOARD"...then 19 times out of 20 nobodys checking to see if they paid anyway...they're not gonna pay simple as that. So yeah, MTA Fail! They can afford all these new shitty looking buses but can't afford extra agents to deploy at stops to check tickets...and then on top of that the shits have 3 doors lmao............

SBS is the biggest sack of fail I swear...Common sense which the MTA seems to have been lacking lately is...if you just tell people "PAY BEFORE YOU BOARD"...then 19 times out of 20 nobodys checking to see if they paid anyway...they're not gonna pay simple as that. So yeah, MTA Fail! They can afford all these new shitty looking buses but can't afford extra agents to deploy at stops to check tickets...and then on top of that the shits have 3 doors lmao............

If they dont do something,they are going to have to change the title from SBS to SFS(Select Free Service) LOL.:P

Plus, this Select Bus Service isn't letting them get a good count of how many people ride the line. I do believe them that ridership is up (I guess they look at how many tickets were bought at the ticket machines), but it is more than they think (I guess people are also attracted to the prospect of a free ride). At least on the regular buses, it is recorded that a passanger boarded when the bus driver presses the ''5'' button, but on this, the best there can be is an estimate of how many farebeaters there are.

What the MTA needs to do to combat fare evasion is:

1. Successfully convince Albany to reclassify fare evasion on the same level as a parking ticket, which would allow NYPD traffic enforcement agents to write fare evasion summonses.

2. Transfer some of the employees to be laid off (20 in all) to Bx12 fare enforcement duty.

3. Raise the fine for fare evasion to 100 times the base fare (fixed).

4. Allow the MTA access to tax records (i.e., if the fine is not paid, permit for garnishment of wages).

#1 is key; it would greatly reduce administrative costs of collection. Parking tickets are generally the only easily collectible summonses.

It would be too confusing.

i.e. Everyone who goes through the middle or the back must pay before boarding. Everyone who goes through the front must pay while boarding.

:eek:

He means only using the pay onboard system. There has to be a faster way than that. What I think should be done is have an inspector onboard every SBS bus (currently 30-35). Oh, if only the (MTA) had the money to hire those extra workers. They should also do it as the bus is in motion, instead of stopping the bus. This would get definite farebeaters but still save time on the SBS.

I like the way they're doing it right now. Not having the ticket checks daily. That way if (MTA) catches somebody off guard, since everybody thinks there are no ticket checkers, that's an extra 100 dollars in (MTA)'s wallet.

Yes but the current fare is $2.25 while the farebeating ticket is $100. To balance that out, the fare inspectors have to collect 1 ticket for every 45 farebeaters. And even if that is balanced out then the (MTA) is still losing critical money that would go towards balancing out the operating cost of the SBS.

and i say NO

Time to bring in the FARE NAZIS ;)

farenazis2.png

Oh? B)

farenazis3.png

how_about_no.jpg

He means only using the pay onboard system. There has to be a faster way than that. What I think should be done is have an inspector onboard every SBS bus (currently 30-35). Oh, if only the (MTA) had the money to hire those extra workers. They should also do it as the bus is in motion, instead of stopping the bus. This would get definite farebeaters but still save time on the SBS.

They don't need to hire extra workers. All those workers, the extras, put 'em to work as fare inspectors.

Yes but the current fare is $2.25 while the farebeating ticket is $100. To balance that out, the fare inspectors have to collect 1 ticket for every 45 farebeaters. And even if that is balanced out then the (MTA) is still losing critical money that would go towards balancing out the operating cost of the SBS.

That's why you make the ticket $225, to make it 100 times the fare.

Honor system. Really now? This is a living and breathing city, not a church picnic. If there's a chance you might not get ticketed, why would any brazen person not pay the fare? My logic has always been "well gee I don't wanna find out the hard way!" so I've always paid, but you never know. Some people just don't think that way.

Honor system. Really now? This is a living and breathing city, not a church picnic. If there's a chance you might not get ticketed, why would any brazen person not pay the fare? My logic has always been "well gee I don't wanna find out the hard way!" so I've always paid, but you never know. Some people just don't think that way.

Well of course not. People think they're royalty and that means they're entitled to free rides forever.

"I can ride for free forever with this one ticket"

They think that until they're b*tch-slapped in the face with that $100 ticket, then they get all angry with the city, talking about they're gonna fight the ticket. If you tried to ride for free and you get caught, just pay the fine and don't waste money/time that doesn't exist.

The MTA is wasting money implementing these Shitty Bus Service patterns. I see it is helping out to get people where they want to go faster BUT to improve passenger movement with a price, the price being that people are fare-beating at a large?

I'm really starting to have some qualms with SBS now....

The MTA is wasting money implementing these Shitty Bus Service patterns. I see it is helping out to get people where they want to go faster BUT to improve passenger movement with a price, the price being that people are fare-beating at a large?

I'm really starting to have some qualms with SBS now....

Give it another year SBS(Seriously Bad Serivice) will be gone.

They don't need to hire extra workers. All those workers, the extras, put 'em to work as fare inspectors.

That's why you make the ticket $225, to make it 100 times the fare.

A fare inspector is still a worker who needs to be paid $$ for their work. That was what I was saying.

Also, SBS is a fine system but the only thing that needs to be improved is the fare inspection. This can easily be done by putting 1-2 fare inspectors onboard every bus, but right now the (MTA) doesn't have the money to do that right now.

Archived