Create your own bus route!

Broadway Local

Since NYC is so anti Light Rail for whatever reason, I would create a SBS/BRT route on the Bay Ridge branch between Broadway Junction & 86th Street/4th Av.

It would run out of ENY depot.

Stops would be....

Broadway Junction

Liviona Ave

New Lots/Linden Blvd

Rocakway Av

Remsen Ave

Ralph Av

Utica Av

Flatbush/Nostrand junction

Beford Ave

E 16th street (For the Brighton line)

CI Ave

Ocean Parkway

18th Ave

62nd Street

4th & 5th Av

After this the route would run on 4th Av to 86th street and end there.

My Light Rail idea is pretty much the same except that it would end at 4th & 5th Ave and would be based out of Bush Terminal yard rather than a bus depot.

A bellmouth would be built at 4th & 5th Ave in case they would want to extend the line underground on the eastern side of 4th Ave to 86th street..

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Restructured M30

Basically the trips towards the Upper East Side will be much faster by avoiding all the Midtown traffic and going through the park. The East Drive between 59th/6th and 72nd/5th are open every weekday from 7AM to 7PM. Any buses later than that will take 57th to Madison and then make a right turn on 72nd.

It will also help riders along York Avenue because of the ridiculously unreliable and infrequent M31.

PLEASE forgive me if this question BUT how can I access that particular map that you revised the M30 on. That background is similar to what I'm looking for. Again, please forgive me if this question has been asked. Thanks in advance.

PLEASE forgive me if this question BUT how can I access that particular map that you revised the M30 on. That background is similar to what I'm looking for. Again, please forgive me if this question has been asked. Thanks in advance.

Well all I really did was download the Manhattan bus map from the MTA's website, open it up in Inkscape, delete all of the bus routes, subways, street names, etc., and then just drew my own lines.

I'll upload the blank map to my website tomorrow so that you guys can download it if you wish.

Attention

If you would like to download the blank Manhattan bus map that I've been using to map out my proposed routes then just click here! Make sure that you have Inkscape or some other SVG editing software installed, and then just open up the map (it's name is "manhattan_map.svg" by default).

On the bottom left hand side of the map there are different symbols/shapes already there for you to use, such as route numbers and the select bus service stop symbol. Copy and paste these to use where needed, and change the number and color if needed. The four different route bullets, from left to right, are regular service, part-time service, service with a letter designation that isn't M (such as the Q32), and weekday only service. If you edit the number you may need to re-center the text by moving it around.

Below that are a list of color codes used on the current map, as well as the colors of an express bus route and the color of the dash on the nonstop segments.

And on all MTA maps, the width of a local/express bus route line is 2.489, and the width of a select bus service route line is 3.750.

Everything should be pretty straightforward after you get a hang of how to use Inkscape, but if you have any questions then feel free to post them here. Now let's see some good new maps! ;)

The QM9 from Spring Creek to Midtown via 3/6 Avenues.

The QM9 would take on the current BM5 route until Yellowstone Boulevard, which it will take the QM12 route until Midtown, where then buses go either via 3 Avenue to 55 street(2 Avenue towards spring Creek),OR 6 Avenue (5 Avenue towards Spring Creek) to 57 street

;)

how do u use Inkscape to make a bus map

Well most of it just requires practice and skills you'll gain through using it for a while. But if you want to make a basic map just do the following:

1. Open up the map in Inkscape

2. Select the "Draw Bezier curves and straight lines" tool on the left toolbar (two above the text tool)

3. Click where your first point should be, then continue along the route you want, clicking along the way to make points on the line. If you want curves, instead of clicking along the path then click and hold to drag.

Besides for that you'll just need to get the hang of how to use different things. I'm pretty sure Inkscape has some tutorials or a manual on their website for how to use the different tools.

I've started blanking the Brooklyn Bus Map on Inkscape. Like Gorgor's Manhattan map I'll be removing everything (the subway lines, symbols, etc.)

I'll have it up soon :P

I want to clean the Bronx, SI, and Queens maps next (in that order), but if anyone wants to be me to the punch with those three maps, which would be really great, all you have to do on Inkscape is delete stuff with the "Edit Path by Nodes" button. Although some stuff like the subway lines have to be deleted twice to fully remove it.

Edited by Mysterious2train

They should have some of the S44 trippers from my school bypass the northern section of Richmond Avenue.

Instead of traveling via Innis Street-Morningstar Road-Richmond Avenue, they should travel via Innis Street-Morningstar Road-MLK Expressway-SIE-Richmond Avenue.

I mean, there are definitely enough students going south of the SIE to fill up the bus. It cuts down costs, saves time, and could potentially attract a few more students to use transit to get home from school.

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't that a glorified version of the Downtown Connection?

Oh that's where it goes? I always see those buses traveling on Warren and Murray Streets but I didn't know it goes down to Water. Hmm actually I can't believe I never knew about that before... I think I should really just take a van down to Broad and get that up to the WFC in the morning.

Edit: Starts at 10AM?!??!?!?!? Freaking... screw that then

Battery Park City Shuttle Bus operated by Downtown Connection travels on same street as X90 from Seaport to Murray St.

Warren St-bound make U-turn at Murray St to get to Vesey St, North End Av to Chambers St, then become Seaport-bound at Warren St to Broadway to Murray St to North End Av, following X90 route to Seaport.

I think Downtown Connection begin at 8:00am and ends at 10:00pm because M22 ends early.

• 4 weeks later...

B28: Operates between the IKEA in Red Hook and the Rockaway Parkway (L) station in Canarise. It allows for easier access to Park Slope, Gowanus and Red Hook from the East.

B28MapPicture.png

Now with complementary list of stops ;)

(Totally not copy/pasted from Scott's Transit Playground ;))

EDIT: I think this routing would work better. Not only would the B28 meet up with the B46/B46 Limited at Utica and Winthrop, but it would also stop nearby Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center

B28RevisedMapPicture.png

Interestingly, even with the new routing, the number of stops stays the same.

Edited by Mysterious2train